Monday December 11th, 2023 -- The Fleet Report and Daily

richwmn

3 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

There are a number of people complaining about this.

Susan

I cleaned out my cookies and browsing history but still no go.  Thankfully John had printed out the paperwork and it had their phone number.  I called and they said they are going out tomorrow by Fedex from Boston. 

I am grateful we did all of our sign in last week.  It is getting closer now.   

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 15

Good morning all!

Good collection of days -- I'm like @kazu,  I guess I'm not crazy about apps and just "tolerate" the apps on my phone.  One of my pet peeves is that our phones come with apps you cannot delete -- whether you use them or not.  😞  I've deleted all I can, and still have too many.

The meal sounds good, as does the drink.  I like the quote, will pass on the red wine. 

I was surprised to see Portland, OR on the port of the day list, I didn't know it has a cruise port -- and especially since it's so close to Astoria, which is used a lot by HAL.  

We lived in Portland for a couple years (around 1980 when Mt. St. Helens blew) and our daughter was born there.  So we have some memories of that city!  But all my photos are predigital so no photos.

Annie @marshhawk I didn't know Leave the World Behind was produced by the Obamas.  Also I've never watched Friends (gasp!) so didn't catch the "I'll be there for you".  It did make me think, but other movies have done a better job -- just my opinion -- but it was entertaining, and that's fine. Edited to add that I Googled the movie and apparently the book it was based on had an ending that I would have liked better. 😉 I can understand why Debbie   @dfishand Sue gave up on it, the music in the beginning was hard to take. Tonight we'll be watching "Don't Look Up" -- we'll see how that one is.

Prayers for all on the Care List and cheers for all celebrating!

Edited by Cruising-along
  • Like 24

Good morning all. Sunny and chilly as usual. High today in the low 40's which for us feels great if you can get into the sun. They are forecasting snow for Wednesday pm and Thursday am and then warming up again. I feel like a the weather just can't make up its mind. Keeps us on our toes.

@Mr. BostonSorry to hear about your Aunt. @lindalerI had noticed that you had disappeared from the Grand Australia roll call and that you were on the earlier South Pacific cruise. Sorry you won't be with us. Good luck with whatever it is that called you away.

Got an email that my luggage tags from Luggage Forward are out for delivery. Got to get that little chore finished up. Pickup on Thursday whether I am ready or not.

Take care all.

Susan

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dfish said:

@Cruising-along I liked Don't Look Up.  It is a bit funky, but a decent movie with a good message.  Maybe we'll try Leave the World Behind again.  Just not tonight as I have the couch and TV reserved for the Holiday Baking Championship.  

I love Meryl Streep and Jennifer Lawrence so I have high hopes. 😀

• Like 12

Still windy and pouring here.  So far, the score seems to be Wind - 3, Jacqui - 0.

Power outages are bad.  NB Power restored 5,000 homes and within 10 minutes it was back to nearly 30,000 without power.  High school and other places have closed due to no power and the kids are sent home.  The wind still hasn’t died down enough for the power guys to use their bucket lifters safely. 😔 

The only good thing is that when I saw what was happening outside and tore out, Ivan came out with me and at least, finally did something outside.  I admire his holding power.  I think I am going to need a glass of cardboardeaux by the time this is over.  😢 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Well. I am popping up, again, and you know what that means.  I'm going to pontificate on wine.

With apologies to @richwmn I am going to make a correction to the wine of the day.  It should be 12 e mezzo Varvaglione primitivo puglia.

While Italian word "primitivo" does translate to "primitive" in English.  In this case, on a wine label it refers to the Primitivo grape which is widely planted in the Puglia Region of Italy.

I am going to get much deeper now.

For many years Zinfandel--sometimes referred to as an American grape or as a California grape--confounded wine historians.  Nobody seemed to know where it came from.  Even the history of the name was unclear.  Carole Meredith, a geneticist at the University of California, Davis discovered that what was called Zinfandel in America and the Primitivo grape of Puglia were DNA identical.  The obvious conclusion is that Primitivo cuttings were brought over by Italian immigrants and planted in California.  When you look at the number of Italian families involved with California wineries and vineyards, this is easy to understand--e.g., Barghetto, Mancini, Martini, Montalfi, Mondavi, Pagani, Papera, Parducci, Pucini, Pucioni, Pedroncelli, Sebastiani, Seghesio, Teldeschi, Trentadue, Zichichi. 

So, Zinfandel lovers you might want to try an Italian Primitivo.

Then the question arose, where did Primitivo come from.  Meredith was contacted by two professors at the University of Zagreb asking if she would be interested in working with them on a project funded by the Croatian government to investigate the country’s traditional grapes.  Years of additional research led to the conclusion that Primitivo found its way to Italy from Croatia,  The Croatian grape known as Crljenak Kaštelanski was DNA identical to Primitivo.  Happily for us Americans who have difficulty with certain non-English words, there is another name for the same grape that is much easier for us to pronounce--Tribidrag.

Epilog:  As a Doctoral student at UC Davis, Carole Meredith met fellow grad student and researcher, Steve Lagier whom she subsequently married.  Lagier grew up in Napa Valley where his family was immersed in the wine industry.  Rather that continuing in academia he returned to Napa Valley as a winemaker.  The couple purchased property on Mount Veeder and planted grapes.  Meredith commuted between Napa Valley and Davis until her retirement from the university in 2003.  The couple made some excellent wines, particularly, Syrah, and were encourage to start their own label--Lagier Meredith.  They have produced varietal wines made from Malbec, Mondeuse, Syrah and Zinfandel grapes grown at their Mount Veeder vineyard.  I have to include this picture of a bottle of their Zinfandel.

IMG_2329.jpg.541ed4bbb193d0f5a68454bdf0974312.jpg

IMG_2334.jpg.b0a79fa67d0702dcf1c5d329ba2ddfca.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 10

Good afternoon. I returned from an appointment and the red dumpster was gone. We can now park in the driveway.

I was very touched by the kind words and virtual hugs today. I purposely did not post over the weekend as it was such a low point. Thanks so much to @cat shepard, @grapau27, @StLouisCruisers, @cruising sister, @dfish, @Haljo1935, @kazu, @marshhawk, @RMLincoln and@Quartzsite Cruiser .

@Mr. Boston, my condolences on the passing of your Aunt Roberta.

@57redbird,I am adding my prayers for your surgery today.

& @rafinmd, I hope the scan is helpful today and that you are feeling better.

Take care everyone 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4

Happy Monday and boy am I late in posting. Thanks for the daily and fleet reports. 

Weather is slightly better today. Chilly with an occasional sun appearance. 

My morning has been so busy preparing for three classes. Working from my office and will see clients this afternoon. 

The meal of the day sounds yummy. 

Thinking of all on the care list.

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

image.png.fac6e3d814e25f3afcff302d09471131.png

• Like 22

Good afternoon.  The cookie dough is in the refrigerator, the icing is made, the hummingbird food has finally be made, and the feeders have been washed.  I think when we were not here last winter, the hummingbirds gave up on us.  Normally, when we get here in the fall, one or two start bugging me immediately to get the feeders filled and hung.  This year, I haven't seen a single hummingbird.

• Like 19

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Still windy and pouring here.  So far, the score seems to be Wind - 3, Jacqui - 0.

Power outages are bad.  NB Power restored 5,000 homes and within 10 minutes it was back to nearly 30,000 without power.  High school and other places have closed due to no power and the kids are sent home.  The wind still hasn’t died down enough for the power guys to use their bucket lifters safely. 😔 

The only good thing is that when I saw what was happening outside and tore out, Ivan came out with me and at least, finally did something outside.  I admire his holding power.  I think I am going to need a glass of cardboardeaux by the time this is over.  😢 

Jacqui, I hope you and Ivan stay safe during the storm.  I'm glad you have the generator.  When I saw that you thought you might need a glass of cardbordeaux, my first thought was just one.

48 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good afternoon. I returned from an appointment and the red dumpster was gone. We can now park in the driveway.

I was very touched by the kind words and virtual hugs today. I purposely did not post over the weekend as it was such a low point. Thanks so much to @cat shepard, @grapau27, @StLouisCruisers, @cruising sister, @dfish, @Haljo1935, @kazu, @marshhawk, @RMLincoln and@Quartzsite Cruiser .

@Mr. Boston, my condolences on the passing of your Aunt Roberta.

@57redbird,I am adding my prayers for your surgery today.

& @rafinmd, I hope the scan is helpful today and that you are feeling better.

Take care everyone 

Terri. I know you are relieved that the dumpster is gone.  

@rafinmd  Roy, I hope the PET scan went well and was not as bad as the last one.  I also hope the scan results are good.

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @richwmn.

Apps can be useful, and I remove ones that aren't. The food drive for needy animals is important, as is Unicef Day for Change. Love the quote. Yes to the meal (although carb laden) and the wine. Pass on the drink. I haven't been to Portland.

It's cool, cloudy and windy here, with the occasional rain shower. I slept about 2.5 hours and had some weird dream (I haven't been dreaming lately). I had an appointment with my PCP this AM; bad scheduling due to rush hour. I decided to try the rollator since I had to go from the parking garage to her office. It provided support, but the pain during that walk was 10/10! I caught her up on my situation, and she was appalled at my lack of sleep for months. She's ordered me something, but it may take weeks to have an effect. I haven't heard from my pharmacy yet. Then I went to PT, where I couldn't do much due to pain. Now I'm home trying to relax and get some relief. The PC wants to update; that's a no for now, since it's working.

@57redbird Prayers that your procedure was successful and you are on the road to recovery.

@Heartgrove I hope your appointments went well.

@kazu Jacqui, your weather sounds awful! Stay safe. I hope for no flooding near you.

@Ichiban Nekko I'm glad no one was hurt in your car accident. 

@smitty34877 (((Hugs))). Sorry you've had those not unexpected rough days; hang in there. I hope Tana is holding her own. And good to hear your home repairs are holding up during the bad weather, and that the red dumpster is gone!

@Mr. Boston Nice photos from the Japanese garden. My condolences on the loss of your Aunt Roberta.

@aliaschief Enjoy the visit for DD's and DGD's birthdays. Sorry to hear DS and family have Covid.

@cruising sister I hope the laser procedure goes well. Good idea to skip that lunch date. 

@ottahand7 Since my team wasn't playing (and they're horrible this year), I watched the Ravens game. What a finish!

@RMLincoln Prayers the wedding trip goes smoothly. And I hope DH's eye pressures stay reasonable.

@XBGuy Great info. Thanks!

@rafinmd I hope your scan goes well.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 5

3 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

I cleaned out my cookies and browsing history but still no go.  Thankfully John had printed out the paperwork and it had their phone number.  I called and they said they are going out tomorrow by Fedex from Boston. 

I am grateful we did all of our sign in last week.  It is getting closer now.   

As today is final due date on a March cruise, I gave up and called in. Amazingly short hold time, especially given the number of current posts regarding website issues.

Hopefully kinks will work out soon.

• Like 19

22 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Jacqui, I hope you and Ivan stay safe during the storm.  I'm glad you have the generator.  When I saw that you thought you might need a glass of cardbordeaux, my first thought was just one.

There might be more than one 😉 

17 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

I slept about 2.5 hours and had some weird dream (I haven't been dreaming lately).

That’s absolutely awful Vanessa.  You can’t go on like this 😢 

I had an appointment with my PCP this AM; bad scheduling due to rush hour. I decided to try the rollator since I had to go from the parking garage to her office. It provided support, but the pain during that walk was 10/10! I caught her up on my situation, and she was appalled at my lack of sleep for months. She's ordered me something, but it may take weeks to have an effect. I haven't heard from my pharmacy yet.

She darn well should be appalled and should have ordered you something that will work faster IMO (perhaps with taking this on the side?).  I’m not a doctor but you can’t wait weeks to get sleep and pain relief.  Did she give you anything for the pain?

@kazu Jacqui, your weather sounds awful! Stay safe. I hope for no flooding near you.

Thanks - I’m on a big hill so I don’t need to worry about flooding too much.  I worry more about trees and stuff like that along with Ivan who is not getting out as he should.  And no, I am not trying to walk him in this mess.  If it ever dies down it will be dark (it is already) and I don’t walk dogs in the dark.  Too many coyotes, porcupines and skunks.

I hope the prescription your doctor ordered works sooner and helps you 🙏 

• Like 17

1 hour ago, XBGuy said:

With apologies to @richwmn I am going to make a correction to the wine of the day.  It should be 12 e mezzo Varvaglione primitivo puglia.

No apology necessary - I just copy and paste from lists I find, and @cat shepard found it under the same name so many people have posted it that way

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, kazu said:

That’s absolutely awful Vanessa.  You can’t go on like this 😢 

She darn well should be appalled and should have ordered you something that will work faster IMO (perhaps with taking this on the side?).  I’m not a doctor but you can’t wait weeks to get sleep and pain relief.  Did she give you anything for the pain?

Thanks - I’m on a big hill so I don’t need to worry about flooding too much.  I worry more about trees and stuff like that along with Ivan who is not getting out as he should.  And no, I am not trying to walk him in this mess.  If it ever dies down it will be dark (it is already) and I don’t walk dogs in the dark.  Too many coyotes, porcupines and skunks.

I hope the prescription your doctor ordered works sooner and helps you 🙏 

Thanks Jacqui. Nothing additional for pain; I'm on Gabapentin (dose increase isn't doing anything). a muscle relaxant I occasionally take (doesn't do anything) and ibuprofen (I don't like to take it too much due to kidney effects). I will see the Neurosurgeon next Monday and hopefully will get a plan on how to proceed.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

I wouldn't be able to make the meal at home, except with vegan sausage. I would be willing to try the pseudotini. Primitivo/Tribidrag/Zinfandel was grown in New York even before it reached California, but I know of no commercial production of it here today, so I'll substitute a fruity, non-tannic red, Crooked Lake from the Keuka Spring Winery. I have been to Portland, Oregon, hundreds of times (I lived for a while in the Willamette Valley), but never by ship. It's not a typical cruise port and AFAIK there is no cruise terminal, but it's a significant port for both the export of grain and the import of automobiles, even though it's about 100 miles inland as ships sail.

I'm just back from a biopsy of a lesion on my face. Blood is seeping out around the bandage.

opalandpotato.thumb.jpg.34cd6f8a5348426cbf723db9334e3087.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 15

2 hours ago, XBGuy said:

Well. I am popping up, again, and you know what that means.  I'm going to pontificate on wine.

While Italian word "primitivo" does translate to "primitive" in English.  In this case, on a wine label it refers to the Primitivo grape which is widely planted in the Puglia Region of Italy.

I am going to get much deeper now.

For many years Zinfandel--sometimes referred to as an American grape or as a California grape--confounded wine historians.  Nobody seemed to know where it came from.  Even the history of the name was unclear.  Carole Meredith, a geneticist at the University of California, Davis discovered that what was called Zinfandel in America and the Primitivo grape of Puglia were DNA identical.  The obvious conclusion is that Primitivo cuttings were brought over by Italian immigrants and planted in California.  When you look at the number of Italian families involved with California wineries and vineyards, this is easy to understand--e.g., Barghetto, Mancini, Martini, Montalfi, Mondavi, Pagani, Papera, Parducci, Pucini, Pucioni, Pedroncelli, Sebastiani, Seghesio, Teldeschi, Trentadue, Zichichi. 

So, Zinfandel lovers you might want to try an Italian Primitivo.

Then the question arose, where did Primitivo come from.  Meredith was contacted by two professors at the University of Zagreb asking if she would be interested in working with them on a project funded by the Croatian government to investigate the country’s traditional grapes.  Years of additional research led to the conclusion that Primitivo found its way to Italy from Croatia,  The Croatian grape known as Crljenak Kaštelanski was DNA identical to Primitivo.  Happily for us Americans who have difficulty with certain non-English words, there is another name for the same grape that is much easier for us to pronounce--Tribidrag.

Epilog:  As a Doctoral student at UC Davis, Carole Meredith met fellow grad student and researcher, Steve Lagier whom she subsequently married.  Lagier grew up in Napa Valley where his family was immersed in the wine industry.  Rather that continuing in academia he returned to Napa Valley as a winemaker.  The couple purchased property on Mount Veeder and planted grapes.  Meredith commuted between Napa Valley and Davis until her retirement from the university in 2003.  The couple made some excellent wines, particularly, Syrah, and were encourage to start their own label--Lagier Meredith.  They have produced varietal wines made from Malbec, Mondeuse, Syrah and Zinfandel grapes grown at their Mount Veeder vineyard.  I have to include this picture of a bottle of their Zinfandel.

IMG_2329.jpg.541ed4bbb193d0f5a68454bdf0974312.jpg

IMG_2334.jpg.b0a79fa67d0702dcf1c5d329ba2ddfca.jpg

We had the pleasure of visiting there on our last visit to Napa Sonoma a decade ago.  Their place is way up at the top of a winding, woodsy road.  We especially loved the Mondeuse that was a genetic combination of 2 varieties can't recall which.  It was a lovely afternoon of tasting overlooking their vineyards.   I tried to find the photos under their name but all I cam up with was a 2014 cellar record.   

We had the pleasure of visiting there on our last visit to Napa Sonoma a decade ago.  Their place is way up at the top of a winding, woodsy road.  We especially loved the Mondeuse that was a genetic combination of 2 varieties can't recall which.  It was a lovely afternoon of tasting overlooking their vineyards.   I tried to find the photos under their name but all I cam up with was a 2014 cellar record.   

@JazzyV I hope that you can get some real answers when you get to the neurosurgeon.  

I have had a half brisket in the oven since 10 am and it still isn't getting to temperature.   John is  a little under the weather with a cold so he is being patient for a late dinner this evening.   

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 20

4 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

I love Meryl Streep and Jennifer Lawrence so I have high hopes. 😀

Meryl Streep was a hoot in that movie.  It is worth watching for her performance alone.

2 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Terry, at those low points we want you to lean on  us.   Our arms are always open for a hug when you need one.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, dfish said:

Terry, at those low points we want you to lean on  us.   Our arms are always open for a hug when you need one.  

If you remember my first post… I found this to be a tight-knit group that I was SURE all knew each other personally …. Found out that MAY be true in some cases, but that the group is very eclectic, varied in locale, but still very focused on the well-being of other members…

BUT what has kept me coming back is that, even if they  not necessarily have met each other, there is a genuine CARING here…

arms seem to be ALWAYS open, with HUGS as needed😄

…and keeps me coming back….

🙏 to all!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 5

28 minutes ago, AroundWithMAPTravels said:

If you remember my first post… I found this to be a tight-knit group that I was SURE all knew each other personally …. Found out that MAY be true in some cases, but that the group is very eclectic, varied in locale, but still very focused on the well-being of other members…

BUT what has kept me coming back is that, even if they  not necessarily have met each other, there is a genuine CARING here…

🙏 to all!

We need a Love It button in addition to Like, Thanks and as mentioned before a Wow button.  Thank you for your kind remarks.  I think you belong here!

• Like 15

1 hour ago, AroundWithMAPTravels said:

🙏 to all!

We depended on each other to get through the dark days of the pandemic and it became second nature.  We think of it as the Daily family even though most of us haven't met each other.  We do excited when we have the opportunity to meet a member of the Daily.  

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

It is interesting how you do feel you know everyone, even when all you've done is read the Daily. Can't believe DGD is 22 today-and a perfect day for her-she works at a pet rescue farm dealing with horses, a cow, a pig and a couple of other animals. She even rescued a bat a couple of days ago. That was worrisome but she assured me she was careful. It turns out bats can't take off from the ground. She got it on the end of a broom, held it up high and the bat took off. Phew! Take care everyone and have a good week. 

• Like 17