The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday February 4th, 2024

kazu

41 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Dailyites 

Blessings to you on this beautiful Sunday. Lifting prayers for a very long list of friends,  family and my personal prayer book. Any updates on Baby Murphy?

Graham,  I'm sorry to hear Julia has passed.

@Sharon in AZ Sharon the thread was closed already when I saw the question on Oliver. His mom was chihuahua and dad was yorkie. He was born Aug 9th, 2022 and spent his 1st 10 months in a tiny cage with his mother and 3 siblings. A sad story..

Facebook or Meta? I have not used in years and I canceled the account about 7 years ago. 

Yeah, I've known a few jerks. 

image.png.1ca0873b30859e7e88c7d58ace9825b6.png

Homemade soup day:

image.png.0eba0d95dfe9bc4778d6a6afb6d26b9a.png

Yesterday was my garage clean day. I put the shelving racks together and arranged everything on them. Then blew out a zillion dead crickets and swept up. I was pretty tired, but happy that chore is complete!

20240203_160032.thumb.jpg.7daefd121112bf1ae66bc03e886b1704.jpg

20240203_160041.thumb.jpg.0aa8d7c5cc155fec93b26a92b41d2941.jpg

Wishing everyone a wonderful Sunday. Call a friend. Be kind. Smile!

Thank you Joy.

Oliver looks so sweet and huggable.

Nice big garage.

• Like 13

Good morning to all and thanks for the daily and fleet report.  I don't want to create a vacuum, most of the jerks I know have been dumped already and I do have a Facebook account.  My friends urge me to post my adventures as they say they "live vicariously through me".  I think I would like the meal but a "Plane Crash" 😬?  No thanks on the wine and I have never been to Norway.  The quote rings true.  Interesting days.

ScreenShot2024-02-04at06_43_58.thumb.png.bb3c8b491957a7d3382f422609dbb24c.png

Another nice day in the desert but we will get the storm that is hitting California Tuesday-Thursday.  So anything I want to do outside need to be done today or tomorrow.  Presently it is 43F under cloudy skies heading up to mid 60s.  As almost always - cool mornings and warm afternoons.

I am trying to pace myself during the day, which is a struggle.  But did some nice cooking yesterday, trying to use of some of the food in the frig so I don't have much in there.  Did make some pickled jalapeños before they went bad.  They will last a couple of months.  I will try to make some ricotta cheese from the whey I have from making yogurt.  I have done it before but you need a bucket load of whey to get enough to use it for anything.  But I think I will try and then make lasagna with homemade noodles.  We will see.

IMG_4160.thumb.JPG.4385aa145a86e8ab61ccbbcf86ce06df.JPG

Thoughts for those on the care list and cheers for those celebrating.

Have a great day everyone.

• Like 21
  • Haha 8

24 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you.

They were a lovely couple.

On another note, don’t you live in Newcastle? I started watching Vera and I think it takes place in your neck of the woods, so far a good show but Vera is quite a character, haven’t figured out yet if I like her as a person, she’s a little rough around the edges.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 14

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Here are Lenda's @Quartzsite Cruiser's photos from her post on May 16, 2021.

We have been to Alesund on the Prinsendam in 2011 and 2016.  Both times we had grey skies and heavy clouds.  In 2011, we walked around and road the city bus.  In 2016, we took the Ho-Ho and walked around town.

One of our stops in 2011 on our city bus "tour" was the aquarium, which is a nice aquarium for a small town.

P1030024.thumb.JPG.875907db1026cdd596fa3cc016e82370.JPG

One of the more unusual fish on display, but I don't know what it is.

P1020998.thumb.JPG.e943e1970c2e80c93e7384acdfbedd08.JPG

Some of their outdoor residents, who are far from home

P1030023.thumb.JPG.1172848fa0af798239f9e837cb4c834f.JPG

Looking toward the sea from the back outside display area

P1030020.thumb.JPG.5a6007452ae626b596bd0a56cd954c09.JPG

A few pictures from our walks around on both stops

P1020980.thumb.JPG.6560d90753ef667546947a33f9b4d5cb.JPG

P1030027.thumb.JPG.0ffce86a1476ac1e842ee1bc08f0ac51.JPG

P1030028.thumb.JPG.0338b922fff52b94d26aa8db814f3885.JPG

P1030029.thumb.JPG.1a8bb486a3914a185da3f4bd36dbf9c5.JPG

A last look of town as the Prinsendam sailed toward the next port

DSC05727.thumb.JPG.c4ae1b60db45a3eafd77a7538ebe4328.JPG

Lenda

Great street patch job!!! Love Alesund and the lovely water reflections it can provide on a nice day. We have been there several times and enjoy it each time.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MISTER 67 said:

On another note, don’t you live in Newcastle? I started watching Vera and I think it takes place in your neck of the woods, so far a good show but Vera is quite a character, haven’t figured out yet if I like her as a person, she’s a little rough around the edges.

We live about 15 miles from Newcastle city centre.

Yes Vera is recorded in our area although Vera is not from the North East of England.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Plane Crash

Today’s drink has an inauspicious name: Plane Crash. It appears to be a variation on the Last Word, invented at the Detroit Athletic Club before 1916.

Although the drink is of modern origin, its ingredients are of some historical interest. Navy-strength rum is rum that is 54% to 57% ABV, which is a lot of alcohol but not as much as overproof rum, 75%. The British Navy switched its daily ration of alcohol for sailors, which had been either beer (likely to spoil during long voyages) or cognac (expensive), to rum after occupying Jamaica in 1655. “Navy strength” meant that it had enough alcohol that gunpowder contaminated with it would still ignite. Sailors received about half a pint a day. Most would drink it all at once, which led to problems, so captains ordered the pursers to dilute it with water and add lime to prevent scurvy. The sailors’ alcohol ration was discontinued only in 1970.

Falernum originated in Barbados in the 1700s. It’s a low-alcohol or no-alcohol cordial of sugar and lime, generally with spice and almond flavorings. One readily available brand is made by Fee Brothers in Rochester.

Green Chartreuse is a sweet liqueur that has been made by Carthusian monks in France since 1737 and  is used in many cocktails as well as straight. During the pandemic shutdown there was a boom in home cocktail-making, causing increased demand, and it has been in short supply ever since.

PlaneCrashcocktail.jpg.079d12e632cf30046f4610ab0abdb53e.jpg

1 oz lime juice

1 dash angostura bitters

1 oz chartreuse green

1 oz navy strength rum 

½ oz falernum

In a cocktail shaker filled halfway with crushed ice add the rum, green Chartreuse liqueur, fresh lime juice, falernum syrup, and a dash of Angostura bitters. Shake vigorously for about 20 seconds to combine all the ingredients and chill the cocktail. In a rocks glass with freshly crushed ice, strain the mixture from the shaker, and garnish with a lime wheel or a sprig of mint (optional).

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 18

Good morning everyone.  It’s a cold and sunny morning here, 30F.  Thank-you for our daily updates. I’m with @puppycanducruise on the days.  The quote is interesting but most that make the journey don’t seem to make a return visit, maybe the transition isn’t as bad as we imagine.  The meal sounds delicious and pretty simple.  Not sure about the drink. I haven’t been to today’s port thanks for sharing all of the wonderful photos.  Prayers for those on our prayer list.  Cheers to those who are celebrating happy events today!

• Like 21

Good Sunday Morning Dailyites!  It is 42 degrees, very cloudy, dark, and since I attempted to sleep on the sofa, I am very tired.  I did nap yesterday, and I should have just stayed in bed.  But I got up, had some chicken soup, watched more Midsumers, and went to bed.  Coughing would not stop, got up went to the den, and curled up under the big blue blanket and tried to sleep sitting up.  Not usually a problem, but now all of me aches.

Tiger showed up last night , I put the clean cat blankets on the chairs, turned the heat back on,  on the porch, sat down and he came up,  curled up next to me and wanted petting.  And fell asleep. So we put in some crunchies, water and a litter box, and he slept through the night.  Got up this morning, put the food out and put a plate on the porch.  He suffers from the starving philosophy.  Since he doesn't know when his next meal will be, he eats from all the plates.  Furnando was like that too, and it takes awhile for them to realize that there will be food supplied every day, he doesnt have to eat everyone's food.

image.thumb.png.42f3646beb488c7ee31209635b10ffe5.png

image.thumb.png.0c065bb79dfa2db974e6461263de0173.png

I have a facebook account, I have been there 3 times in the last 10 years.  I found out my old company was using  it for hiring purposes, if they didn't like your politics, philosophies, or what you do when you are actually not at work , then it was a no.  I didn't think that the place I work now would be too interested but during the zoom meeting last week,  the boss asked one of the employees what was new in his life, and he said "nothing"...and then the boss said, well that's not what your facebook page says.

Best not to go back on.

I did see on the news today that on this day in history, George Washington was elected President.

image.thumb.png.1739463132f264caf5700213b5a7c516.png

image.png.e10c9724091feeb74433d568675570f6.png

@grapau27 Thank you for the mini sermon today.  I think that everyone on the Daily is very good at bringing the light to us all.

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 2

The meal suggestion sounds like something you would make if you didn't have exactly the right ingredients for something else. I would try the drink if it were called something else. I'm not sure that Petite Arvine would grow in the Finger Lakes: while it's adapted to a cool climate, it requires a long, sunny growing season. So I'll nominate Rkatsiteli, the oldest wine grape variety in the world, from Dr. Frank's. I haven't been to Ålesund.

sixmoreweeksofapathy.thumb.jpg.951542c309f16e314048410209e12145.jpg

• Like 20
  • Haha 4

Good morning. I have just returned from walking the dogs in the chilly sunshine. I usually run into quite a few other dogs and their people but we had the quiet neighborhood to ourselves. 
I also relinquished prior jerks long ago and what a good thing that was. I make homemade soup, usually twice weekly all year around. 
I have not been to the port but it certainly looks like a beautiful place. Thanks for the pictures Sandi!

@JazzyV, I am glad you got help yesterday from BFF . I can’t imagine trying to lift and carry when you already live with such intense pain. I am feeling better and the teenager is better as well. The only one  having an issue still is Tana. This morning she has a slight fever and I have called the nurse again for guidance.

@grapau27, Graham, My condolences on the death of your friend Julia. Prayers for both Julia and Paul.

I enjoyed seeing pictures of your ship !

@ger_77, I am thinking of you and Maurice and hope today is a good one.

@marshhawk, I hope the two of you are feeling at least a little better today.

Have a great day everyone 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

Thank you Rich, Jacqui, Vanessa, Paul, Ann, Eva, and Graham for the heads up on Father David.  I'll pass on all 3 of today's days but like the quote. 

Been to Alesund on the Prinsendam in 2011 and will post a couple of photos but online church starts soon. 

I'll celebrate the finding of the ancient bible but pass on Zuckerberg.  Best wishes for Paul as he grieves the loss of Julia.

I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Watermelon Gazpacho,Tropical Fruit Medley, and English Roast Beef as served on MS Maasdam February 4, 2015.

More this afternoon in a few hours.

Roy

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

The sun is out today in north NJ! Yay!  It’s now 32, on its way from 25 up to 45, so a drier day making that 20 degree swing possible. 

We visited Alesund on our Hurtigruten voyage, very picturesque. I got postcards there for our fire chief’s son, their family roots were there. I hope he gets to visit someday. Thanks for the lovely photos. 

@grapau27 Thank you for Fr David’s message. I’m sorry for the loss in your church family. I’m sure they will do what they can to support Paul. Sandi, I’m glad Scott is being treated, TIAs are generally not singular events, and often precursors to larger events - hoping he has none of those, he’s in a complicated enough state. I hope it helps his wife that he’s being cared for in a rehab but that has its own difficulties. Sending out the blessings!  

DH received a message from his surgeon to add a med to the surgical eye, staying in track to remove a suture a week from tomorrow, to be done by the NJ doctor. That will open up the new drainage pathway. Such an artful balance between healing and maintaining the open pathway. One day at a time. For all of us. 

Special thoughts for Annie and Chuck, @marshhawk so very much going on there. And @JazzyVVanessa, I hope you can move slowly today. Jacqui, please be careful and keep warm!  @ger_77 Gerri, it’s tiring keeping busy but always with one eye on DH. I hope you can take a break, walk outside for a few minutes while he’s occupied, for yourself. 
@kochleffel Paul, so nice to hear the cats are more present with you, you’ve been so patient and protective!  I do suspect they’ve sensed your trauma with your recent procedure. I hope your healing is smooth. 

I did sleep last night but that was aided by an antihistamine/NSAID tablet as I did not want a repeat of the previous night. We changed our dinner time to an earlier one to be able to attend the Saturday night Classic movie of the week… Fred Astaire and Ginger Roger’s, can’t go wrong with that. Went to a History Club talk and a meditation group this week, trying to explore our new community a bit. I have one foot on the dock, the other in the boat…. transition, glad to be here but unsure, and still very connected to previous paths, taking my time. 

Blessings sent for our Care list, our caregivers and their loved ones, and all in need. Happy celebrations and smooth travels for our cruisers. Thank you all for being here. 
Maureen 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

Plane Crash

Today’s drink has an inauspicious name: Plane Crash. It appears to be a variation on the Last Word, invented at the Detroit Athletic Club before 1916.

Although the drink is of modern origin, its ingredients are of some historical interest. Navy-strength rum is rum that is 54% to 57% ABV, which is a lot of alcohol but not as much as overproof rum, 75%. The British Navy switched its daily ration of alcohol for sailors, which had been either beer (likely to spoil during long voyages) or cognac (expensive), to rum after occupying Jamaica in 1655. “Navy strength” meant that it had enough alcohol that gunpowder contaminated with it would still ignite. Sailors received about half a pint a day. Most would drink it all at once, which led to problems, so captains ordered the pursers to dilute it with water and add lime to prevent scurvy. The sailors’ alcohol ration was discontinued only in 1970.

Falernum originated in Barbados in the 1700s. It’s a low-alcohol or no-alcohol cordial of sugar and lime, generally with spice and almond flavorings. One readily available brand is made by Fee Brothers in Rochester.

Green Chartreuse is a sweet liqueur that has been made by Carthusian monks in France since 1737 and  is used in many cocktails as well as straight. During the pandemic shutdown there was a boom in home cocktail-making, causing increased demand, and it has been in short supply ever since.

PlaneCrashcocktail.jpg.079d12e632cf30046f4610ab0abdb53e.jpg

1 oz lime juice

1 dash angostura bitters

1 oz chartreuse green

1 oz navy strength rum 

½ oz falernum

In a cocktail shaker filled halfway with crushed ice add the rum, green Chartreuse liqueur, fresh lime juice, falernum syrup, and a dash of Angostura bitters. Shake vigorously for about 20 seconds to combine all the ingredients and chill the cocktail. In a rocks glass with freshly crushed ice, strain the mixture from the shaker, and garnish with a lime wheel or a sprig of mint (optional).

I guess being served this drink while on a plane is like watching the movie Titantic on a transatlantic cruise.

• Like 6
  • Haha 8

3 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Yesterday was my garage clean day. I put the shelving racks together and arranged everything on them. Then blew out a zillion dead crickets and swept up. I was pretty tired, but happy that chore is complete!

You did a fantastic job, Joy!

4 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Ernest 2020 Edaphos Alder Springs Vineyard Petite Arvine (Mendocino County)

Wow, an entirely white wine to enjoy - made from a rarely seen grape - at least for us in the States. It sounds lovely. I would love a taste. A decent number of distributors, leaning towards the pricey side - online prices start at $39.00.

That wine sounds scrumptious, Ann 🙂 

Sorry to hear about Julia.  Prayers for poor Paul - ill and in grief 😔 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. Thanks for the FR/Daily.

Not a fan of the days. I have two FB accounts - one just for games I play, and the other to keep up with friends, although I rarely post anything any more. Interesting quote. The meal sounds ok. Pass on the drink and wine. I haven't been to Alesund. 

It's another sunny day with a high of 51F expected. I will be inside, trying to clear out the dining room for the floor renovation. I don't know where I'll put everything that's in there. I did take Benadryl last night and got a total of about 4.5 hours sleep. 

@StLouisCruisers Prayers for DB and Scott. I hope the family members have mild cases. Go FC Dallas and Ren! Excellent photos from Alesund and thanks for posting Lenda's too.

@kazu Thanks for our startup today. Congrats to you and Ivan on his learning of commands.

@grapau27 Condolences on the sudden passing of your former church warden Paul's wife Julia. Prayers for Paul in his battle with cancer.

@Seasick Sailor Good job on the garage organization.

@ger_77 I'm glad the increased diuretic is working for DH.

@Nickelpenny Wow, you are adventurous making ricotta from the drained whey from making yogurt. 

@marshhawk Sorry to hear your cough is still interfering with you getting a good night's sleep. 

@smitty34877 I am glad to hear that you and the teenager are feeling better. I don't like to hear that Tana has a fever, and I hope the nurse will have good advice. 

@rafinmd Thank you for our maps today.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 8

Good morning. We will visit another beautiful paradise today Raitea in the Cook Islands. A peak out the window supports the forecast of a very possible damp day. It doesn’t look good for Bora Bora either. Will see and it is what it is.

We had an enjoyable experience accompanying the Food and Beverage Manager and Executive Chef on a shopping trip to the local market. Our F&B Manager is a former executive chef and was also the Executive Chef on the exclusive ship The World. We sure made some vendors happy. Especially the fish monger as we purchased over a hundred pounds of fresh tuna. Those selling fruits and vegetables also were delighted to see us. Many of the items purchased will be on our Chef’s Market Table dinner tonight for the ten of us who went on the Chef’s shopping excursion. 
Almost seven AM and it’s coffee time. Have a nice day. Some market pics later.  Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.948c743b7ba263393d45057a73698fbd.jpeg

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 2