The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday May 17th, 2024

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

It is currently overcast and in the 60's but it is supposed to clear out and temps will rise to the 70's today.  It will be a warm weekend with temps in the 80s.  We finished staining the deck  yesterday and started putting together the storage box.  We had some difficulty since there were no directions included. We tried attaching sides to the bottom of the box, but that wouldn't work.  We were able to attach the sides to each other and then discovered how to attach the bottom, but we have to take the sides apart to do that and we can't get them apart.  I'll try again today and we'll hopefully get the furniture all assembled.  

I would like the pinot grigio.  I liked the Alsatian version Pinot Gris when my sister lived in Strasbourg.  It is difficult to find the Alsatian white wines over here.  Our favorite winery was the Wolfberger winery in Eguisheim.  Walnuts are great and congrats to all the grads.  

I hope we hear some good news from @Nickelpenny, @kazu, and @marshhawk today.

The blueberry almond tart sure looks good!  I'll pass due to carbs and sugars, but I hope the rest of you can enjoy it!   Here's the first recipe:  Blueberry Almond Tart 1

blueberryalmondtart1.thumb.jpg.4aee30765908382a23225a0a1aae6dec.jpg

This next one looks like you can pick it up and eat it like pizza.  Blueberry Almond Tart 2

blueberryalmondtart2.jpg.7d352e3027293f801c2e5b93d3b19ea4.jpg

This last recipe uses a blueberry curd as the filling and tops it with fresh blueberries and almond slivers.  It promises a fair amount of pucker!    Blueberry Almond Tart 3

blueberryalmondtart3.thumb.jpg.62cb28ec6148084b5d57e4868043514a.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

Before I arrive for a slice I need to know the calorie count. I am restricted to 1000 calories a day and I need to know is this my only meal today!

• Like 4
  • Haha 12

Good afternoon.

It is 62°F and sunny and I'm relaxing in our back garden.

Last week I accepted my arthritis would prevent me playing golf again so I sold my Callaway irons and Taylor Made Putter.

I have just sold my King Cobra driver to a nice couple who collected it from our house.

I hope everyone is happy.

IMG_20240517_143454.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4

21 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon.

Last week I accepted my arthritis would prevent me playing golf again so I sold my Callaway irons and Taylor Made Putter.

I have just sold my King Cobra driver to a nice couple who collected it from our house.

IMG_20240517_143454.jpg

Sorry to hear about your golf! 🥲 I still have my irons I used 64 years ago; Bobby Nichols, and no they are not wooden shafts!

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Interesting info about graduation tassels, I usually use walnuts in Christmas baking, and a dear departed cruise friend of ours always drank Pino Grigio.  

Well, it had to happen - DH caught a cold.  Sigh.  He started feeling it coming on last night, and this morning he's all stuffed up and feeling punkish.  I've made him a big cup of tea with lemon and honey, and will continue that throughout the day.  He's going through tissues with wild abandon, and is about as happy about everything as I am.  I'm going to make sure he has lots of showers to keep everything open and flowing, and think I'll do a run out to the store and pick up a rotisserie chicken to strip and make a big pot of chicken soup.  Any other suggestions?

@smitty34877I'm glad you're getting family for the weekend who can help relieve your heavy burden.

@marshhawkby your descriptions, I can tell you absolutely adore the kittens; you really have such a big heart.

@dfishcan you go online to find instructions on how to put the box together?

Yesterday I made the blueberry lemon loaf from the menu suggestion of a couple of days ago, and it's delicious!  I didn't have any full fat Greek yogurt, so just used a couple of individual containers of Activia, and it turned out well.  I didn't use the lemon glaze though, which would have given it more lemon flavour, but it's quite delicious on it's own. 

Not much happening here except dealing with DH's cold.  I'm going to pass on the drink of the day, have consumed a lot of Apothic Red, but the option of having a blueberry almond tart for dinner is quite appealing!  It's Friday night, pizza night, but I think we'll forego that in favour of big steaming bowls of chicken soup at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine - for me.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the reports! 

@Quartzsite Cruiser Thank you for wondering that I survived...  we had a branch fall,  with no structure damage,  and across the street,  a For Sale sign was blown over.   And power went off long enough for all the clocks needing to be reset! 

Have a wonderful Friday to each Dailyite!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon.

IMG_20240517_143454.jpg

Graham, I know it was not an easy decision to sell your golf clubs.  I hope the new owners get as much pleasure from them as you did.

41 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Interesting info about graduation tassels, I usually use walnuts in Christmas baking, and a dear departed cruise friend of ours always drank Pino Grigio.  

Well, it had to happen - DH caught a cold.  Sigh.  He started feeling it coming on last night, and this morning he's all stuffed up and feeling punkish.  I've made him a big cup of tea with lemon and honey, and will continue that throughout the day.  He's going through tissues with wild abandon, and is about as happy about everything as I am.  I'm going to make sure he has lots of showers to keep everything open and flowing, and think I'll do a run out to the store and pick up a rotisserie chicken to strip and make a big pot of chicken soup.  Any other suggestions?

@smitty34877I'm glad you're getting family for the weekend who can help relieve your heavy burden.

@marshhawkby your descriptions, I can tell you absolutely adore the kittens; you really have such a big heart.

@dfishcan you go online to find instructions on how to put the box together?

Yesterday I made the blueberry lemon loaf from the menu suggestion of a couple of days ago, and it's delicious!  I didn't have any full fat Greek yogurt, so just used a couple of individual containers of Activia, and it turned out well.  I didn't use the lemon glaze though, which would have given it more lemon flavour, but it's quite delicious on it's own. 

Not much happening here except dealing with DH's cold.  I'm going to pass on the drink of the day, have consumed a lot of Apothic Red, but the option of having a blueberry almond tart for dinner is quite appealing!  It's Friday night, pizza night, but I think we'll forego that in favour of big steaming bowls of chicken soup at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine - for me.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Oh no, Gerry.  I hope your DH is much better soon, and that this does not affect the surgery.

19 minutes ago, LambKnuckles said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser Thank you for wondering that I survived...  we had a branch fall,  with no structure damage,  and across the street,  a For Sale sign was blown over.   And power went off long enough for all the clocks needing to be reset! 

Thanks for checking in.  I'm glad there was not much damage.

Lenda

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Good morning and Happy Friday. It’s definitely late spring here with everyday in the 90’s. Tomorrow is supposed to be 97. I bought another basil plant to add to one that looked sad. Now it looks full and wonderful and happy. I can probably start using my two basil plants now. The rosemary and oregano are small but doing well. I was worried about planting so late but they are doing good. I still want some tarragon and thyme. The mint always springs back but the bugs like it for some reason. It’s in a pot so it doesn’t take over. I also have a tiny chive plant that comes back every year. 

Pinot Grigio is my second request if Sauvignon Blanc isn’t available. My DGD bought me a bottle for Mother’s Day. 

Taking DM to an appointment this morning. Not sure where we will have lunch but it will definitely be somewhere with wine. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

The business with the tassels was well-established when I was in high school, which was more than 50 years ago. Walnuts are OK but I would rather have Grüner Veltliner than Pino Grigio.

I would probably like the menu suggestion. The drink sounds way too complicated for the way it would turn out. For the wine, Hazlitt 1852 Schooner Red, $18, a blend of grapes from the Finger Lakes and Argentina. It's named for a schooner, built in 1939 for General George S. Patton, that Doug Hazlitt purchased and has restored.

Screenshot2024-05-17at10-50-07SCHOONERred_INFOsht_2023-SCHOONERred_INFOsht_2023_pdf.png.839e33b455823ebf07220ae66300b0b7.png

I see that the "wrong route" thread is now locked. I haven't read any of it.

Screenshot2024-05-17at11-15-24GlasbergenCartoonsbyRandyGlasbergenforMarch242024GoComics_com.png.273a6826be59c1d23aaadecb8141ac71.png

• Like 16
  • Haha 7

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Graham, I know it was not an easy decision to sell your golf clubs.  I hope the new owners get as much pleasure from them as you did.

Oh no, Gerry.  I hope your DH is much better soon, and that this does not affect the surgery.

Thanks for checking in.  I'm glad there was not much damage.

Lenda

Thank you Lenda.

I always looked after my golf clubs and they all had head covers on to stop the clubs knocking against each other in my golf bag.

The guy who bought my irons,putter and 60° lob wedge last week said he couldn't believe how new they looked.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 19

I received a shipment of plants this week, and as usual I had to look some of them up on the nursery's website because I had forgotten their requirements. I'm glad that I did, because I would have planted carex (sedge) in a spot that could be too sunny for it. They will spend a few days on the back steps (if it's sunny) or the deck (if it isn't, which is more likely) before I plant them, but I'll be putting in seeds this afternoon before the rain resumes.

I've pretty much settled on an excursion that includes the butterfly farm, plus an evening catamaran cruise, for Oranjestad. It's probably not possible to schedule an Atlantis submarine trip: the cruise line's time for it is during the morning excursion, and the only times open for public booking are too early in the afternoon. Catalina Island in the DR is the difficult one, because the cruise line's excursions all have one thing that I might like combined with another thing that I definitely wouldn't. Also, they are so long that they require taking box lunches, in the heat. Because all the excursions run through the lunch hour, NCL doesn't serve lunch on shore even though there are tents for it.

• Like 20

1 hour ago, RedneckBob said:

Sorry to hear about your golf! 🥲 I still have my irons I used 64 years ago; Bobby Nichols, and no they are not wooden shafts!

Thank you Bob.

I hadn't played a round of golf for about 7 years but was reluctant to let my clubs go but hopefully the people who bought them will enjoy them rather than them sitting in the back of my garage.

• Like 16

Good morning all!

We may have a break today in the rain (but needed what we got yesterday).  Partly sunny and high of 60.  Not too bad.

Congratulations to all graduates, not really a fan of walnuts (probably the only nut I don't care for), and like Sharon @Sharon in AZ I ask for Pinot Grigio when Sauvignon Blanc isn't available.  The meal sounds yummy, will pass on the red wine, and would try the drink if someone else made it.  I'd leave out the marshmallow though.  Interesting drink, an adult S'more. 😉 The only Indonesian port we've been to is Komodo Island.    

Not much on the agenda today, just cruise planning and also planning a 2-day get away next week with the DGSs.  We're taking them to a large indoor water park for their birthdays....I'm sure DH and I will need a week afterwards to recuperate!

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser I have been meaning to tell you how much I enjoy the memes you post!  I've never seen any of them before, which is unusual.  

Gerry @ger_77 Oh no about your DH's cold.  I hope it doesn't last and won't affect the surgery.

Debbie @dfish Don't you just hate it when there are no instructions.  Kudos to you for figuring it all out!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, LambKnuckles said:

I'm happy to hear you and River are safe Lambie.

• Like 17

@ger_77

Sorry to hear that DH has a cold. I have heard that there is some evidence that Zinc will shorten cold symptoms. Maybe worth a try, although I have to say the taste isn't very nice.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, 

IT's a bit overcast at the moment but no rain so that's good. 

I made walnut cookies earlier this week, don't mind a pinot Grigio, and love the quote! The stack of books on my side of the bed, let alone what's on my Kindle app, will keep me going for a looong time! 

Today is a few errands, the pool for a Silver Sneakers class and then to my sister-in-law and brother-in-law's house for burgers, etc. I made chocolate chip cookies yesterday to take. It was short notice but that's fine. It's the senior family members and always nice to visit. 

Karen

• Like 24

I didn’t get online yesterday, it seems like I am an every other day poster. Anyway, I missed some celebrations.  So belated wishes to:

Bruce & Sue @aliaschief & @DWAliaschief!!  Your anniversary celebration sounds like it was wonderful. 

Carolyn @Cruising-along, Happy Birthday to your DGS!  Your excursion to the water park sounds fun. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I'll celebrate graduation tassels. I like walnuts for baking. Someone else can have my pinot grigio. True quote; I have books on Turing and Oppenheimer coming today. I like the tart, pass on the drink and yes to the wine (I've had it). I have not been to Surabaya.

It's lightly raining, with more storms later. I did relax yesterday, after having done a lot helping BFF the last few days. The lawn got mowed and shrubs trimmed yesterday by my lawn guys. I may try to do laundry today. BFF was told today that he might be the first case for his surgeon, and if so we'd need to be at the hospital at 5AM, meaning I'd need to leave to pick him up at 4AM! 😲 

@StLouisCruisers Enjoy the sea day today.

@cat shepard Enjoy your dinner tonight. 

@Copper10-8 John, I was sorry to read of Shiv crossing the rainbow bridge.

@smitty34877 I'm glad to read that DS and one DGS are coming to help this weekend. Please  try to relax a bit while they're there.

@marshhawk I hope you're able to get some relaxation time this weekend.

@dfish You've been so busy working on your deck. I'm sure it will be a good place to be this summer. Good luck with the storage box assembly. 

@RMLincoln Enjoy the concert tomorrow.

@Quartzsite Cruiser I'm glad you had no damage from the storms. Sorry to hear of the deaths. I saw the windows blown out of tall buildings on the news. 

@grapau27 Enjoy your afternoon outside. I'm sorry you had to give up golf due to your arthritis. I can't bowl any more due to my shoulder arthritis.

@ger_77 So sorry to hear that DH has come down with a cold. I'm a fan of zinc lozenges or Zicam to lessen the duration of colds. Plus Vitamin C. 

@kazu  @Nickelpenny Thinking of you and I hope you're doing better.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 8

One task on my to-do list yesterday was tracking down my grads. My next-to-last class graduates this year and there were 24 of them (and a student teacher). Our school was a small country school and families stayed in the area for the most part. I had 6 kids that I taught a parent as well. So far about 3/4 are graduating from the local high school, a few didn't make it, and so far 4 have moved out of the area but I've tracked them down. I send them each a card and a $5.00 Starbucks card. What is surprising, or maybe I'm just showing my age, is the lack of thank yous back from the kids. Out of the 24 or so I send out I'll be lucky to hear from 4 or 5 of them. A sign of the times I guess. 

Karen

• Like 22

43 minutes ago, Sea Viewer said:

@ger_77

Sorry to hear that DH has a cold. I have heard that there is some evidence that Zinc will shorten cold symptoms. Maybe worth a try, although I have to say the taste isn't very nice.

I truly believe that Zinc helps shorten colds.  In the past I always got the worst colds that lasted close to a couple weeks.  For years now I've taken daily Zinc tablets (and when I do get a cold, I take Zinc lozenges too). 

34 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Carolyn @Cruising-along, Happy Birthday to your DGS!  Your excursion to the water park sounds fun. 

Thank you Sharon!  I know the boys will love it so that's all that matters. We're going mid-way between their birthdays (the youngest will turn 9 on June 2).

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Nice collection of days - congrats to all graduates 🎓 

So many books, so little time. Books are the best!

The "meal" sounds lovely and @dfish pictures look yummy. Would try the drink 🍸 if someone else made it & left out the marshmallow, DH would like the wine, not been to the port.

1527-1536 was an important but difficult time for Spain 🇪🇸 596 lives lost is a high price.

Saw a few small trees down in the subdivision, but we did not have any damage from the storms; thanks @Quartzsite Cruiser for thinking of us.

Does anyone have experience with Puntal eye plugs? Eye Dr asked yesterday if I would consider getting them. I had not heard of them and preliminary research hasn't provided enough for me to make a decision. The plugs would be in addition to the 4-step procedure she is doing. TIA for any info.

Prayers @ger_77 that DH cold is short lived.

It was 72° headed to sunny 84° when I checked a bit ago. Forecast shows sun through Mon so the backyard should dry out. 

Prayers 🙏 and positive thoughts for all. 

20240517_095722.thumb.jpg.cd0b09bae4e7d25aa7361e2a7cebf13a.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Sharon in AZ said:

I didn’t get online yesterday, it seems like I am an every other day poster. Anyway, I missed some celebrations.  So belated wishes to:

Bruce & Sue @aliaschief & @DWAliaschief!!  Your anniversary celebration sounds like it was wonderful. 

Thank you.

• Like 13

5 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Does anyone have experience with Puntal eye plugs? Eye Dr asked yesterday if I would consider getting them. I had not heard of them and preliminary research hasn't provided enough for me to make a decision. The plugs would be in addition to the 4-step procedure she is doing. TIA for any info.

Prayers 🙏 and positive thoughts for all. 

All I know is that the puntal eye plugs are used to treat dry eye syndrome. They go in the tear ducts and block tear drainage. I had such dry eyes that I developed a callus on my cornea just from blinking. I was sent to a specialist, who mentioned the plugs, but we tried Restasis first, which has worked for me.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4