How Many Bottles of Wine Do You Normally Take Onboard?

Depending on the embarkation port, we may take as much as a case (12 bottles) of wine, which is allowed on our preferred cruise line, Oceania. Sailing out of SF, it will be estate stuff from our own cellar, which would never be found on (or available to) a cruise ship.

In "wine centric" ports like Sydney or Lisbon, we'll do some research and pick up 6-12 bottles to bring onboard. We also try replenish the stock as needed depending on the ports visited.

Some we drink in our cabin (no corkage fee). Others we take to dinner ($25 corkage fee, which is "chump change" in the grander scheme of things).

BTW, I always have to chuckle when someone asks what can be done with the "unfinished" dinner bottle.[emoji485][emoji485][emoji485][emoji485]

some lines only allow 2 bottles like RCCL, we have brought on over a case on other lines , this way we get the wine we want and even with corkage it will be much cheaper than price on the ship

Recently, we've been taking at least two and up to four bottles for a week-long cruise. The first two bottles are free to drink in our cabin and then there's a $15 corkage fee for additional ones on Princess.

I always bring what we or the group will drink. We would much rather pay the corkage than for overpriced wines. I have seen so many sub $10 wines onboard for $30-$40. MSC is the only line that I’ve been on that offers quality at a reasonable price. I also love the look on the sommeliers when they come to open the wine at the table.

I always bring what we or the group will drink. We would much rather pay the corkage than for overpriced wines. I have seen so many sub $10 wines onboard for $30-$40. MSC is the only line that I’ve been on that offers quality at a reasonable price. I also love the look on the sommeliers when they come to open the wine at the table.

I wish folks would stop calling the waiters (with some minimal wine education- usually limited to what ever the cruise ship is hawking) "sommeliers." With the occasional exception (usually one or two individuals at most and, even then, limited to ships of premium and luxury lines), you are not about to find a legitimate/certified sommelier on a cruise ship.

Usually 4 bottles. Two each. That is all we want to carry.

Why......I prefer reds of my choice. I also buy wine on board but on some cruise lines the selection is either very poor or the prices ridiculously high compared to restaurant pricing that we are accustomed to.

some lines only allow 2 bottles like RCCL, we have brought on over a case on other lines , this way we get the wine we want and even with corkage it will be much cheaper than price on the ship

RCCL may be the exception but most cruise lines allow you to bring as much wine as you want on board. You just have to pay corkage over the 2 free bottles. Since the corkage is the same regardless of the cost of the wine, if you want to drink expensive wines, you are better off paying the corkage than overpaying for the same wine on board. We know someone who does long cruises and who routinely brings 2 - 3 cases on board.

DON

P&O (UK) do not allow you to bring more than your allotted amount aboard (currently 1 litre of alcohol per person). There is no possibility of paying corkage if you want to bring more. The upside is that their prices are more reasonable than the majority of other lines.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

The last couple cruises I've taken upward of a case of wine.

Again these are just 7 night cruises.

I'd rather pay the $15 corkage then settle for lousy wine.

All depends on the cruise line for us but our record is 18 on the Holland America Westerdam (7-night Southern Caribbean). We had a great CC roll call group and opened numerous bottles during a cabin crawl.

Usually a case of 12 is what we bring. Would rather pay the corkage and enjoy great wines from our cellar.

I enjoy wine and have it most evenings at dinner but I b ring none ab oard. It is nogt worth it to o me to lug heavy v bottles when I can sit calmly and comfotab ly in he ding room and order what I want from t he wine steward. In ALL our many cruises, we never brought wine with us.

We once received a gift bottle in our p;re-c ruise hotel. We did not open it while in hte hotele. MY Dh did tqke the gbottle off tghe desk when we legt tghe room gto go gog gthe ship. That is the one and only botle we ever carried aboard. We did not want to be ungarteful to the person who sent the gift.

Mark up is so huge on most cruise such as Hal they will charge you 100 for a 25 dollar bottle , save lots of money and get he exact wine you want by bringing on your own. We normally do rccl and get drink package so we can get our wine by the glass now.