Will Carnival ever get rid of "All adults must buy Cheers" rule?

bobbyandali

We recently sailed on Royal Caribbean and got their version of the unlimited alcohol package. What we found was, it made sense for me, but it didn't make sense for my wife. She just didn't drink enough alcohol to justify the cost. 

I'm guessing the reason for the rule is to prevent sharing, but I would think there are other ways to accomplish that. 

Has anyone heard of any discussions regarding removing this rule, or is it here to stay? 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, bobbyandali said:

… What we found was, it made sense for me, but it didn't make sense for my wife. She just didn't drink enough alcohol to justify the cost. 

I think you answered your own question as it really comes down to simple math.  You and your wife would need to consume 12 cocktails per day between yourselves to break even on the package price.  Otherwise, it is a great decision to purchase drinks individually, as this would save you money.

Don't forget that the package also includes all you can drink specialty coffees, soda, virgin cocktails, and bottled water.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

Based on the posts on social media, I'd say they are right to follow their gut.

LOL.  I have read many posts here that indicate some people seem to be proud of the fact they share alcoholic drinks with other adults and non-alcoholic ones with their kids.  

Cheers is a profit making program for Carnival.  The only incentive they might have for changing it would be to increase the price.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, bobbyandali said:

I'm guessing the reason for the rule is to prevent sharing, but.......

And the big but.......as long a passengers are going to try to smuggle liquor on board with all kinds of containers and bottles, there will always be rules.  Sharing is cheating and there will always be rules to prevent theft and that's exactly what it is.  

• Like 7

I personally wish they would allow some valid exceptions to the rule.  I can understand not allowing an exception if someone just promises not to drink any, but what about scenarios where one person is pregnant or one person really doesn't ever drink.

9 minutes ago, Marauder40 said:

I personally wish they would allow some valid exceptions to the rule.  I can understand not allowing an exception if someone just promises not to drink any, but what about scenarios where one person is pregnant or one person really doesn't ever drink.

If you make exceptions, the problem becomes where do you draw the line. It’s much easier from a business perspective to have a hard and fast rule with no deviations. The other key point to stress is Cheers was designed to benefit Carnival, not guests. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

If you make exceptions, the problem becomes where do you draw the line. It’s much easier from a business perspective to have a hard and fast rule with no deviations. The other key point to stress is Cheers was designed to benefit Carnival, not guests. 

I think there would be a way to draw the line, if someone in the room doesn't EVER drink for any reason like pregnancy or doctors reason, etc. have a clause written into a contract that says if the other person in the room is ever caught with drink then the person has to pay the full cost of the package, otherwise they only have to pay Y.

I am saying this as someone that can't really use it since my wife is someone that doesn't like to drink BUT she does like to sip my drinks occasionally which would be a violation.   I have two sets of parents that would buy a single person package if it was available since both my mother and my mother in law don't drink at all.  Since they don't my father and my father-in-law don't have the package they barely drink so the cruise line makes a lot less.

Edited by Marauder40

15 minutes ago, Marauder40 said:

I think there would be a way to draw the line, if someone in the room doesn't EVER drink for any reason like pregnancy or doctors reason, etc. have a clause written into a contract that says if the other person in the room is ever caught with drink then the person has to pay the full cost of the package, otherwise they only have to pay Y.

I am saying this as someone that can't really use it since my wife is someone that doesn't like to drink BUT she does like to sip my drinks occasionally which would be a violation.   I have two sets of parents that would buy a single person package if it was available since both my mother and my mother in law don't drink at all.  Since they don't my father and my father-in-law don't have the package they barely drink so the cruise line makes a lot less.

If your father and father in law ever cruise together then put them as cabin mates on paper.  Problem solved. 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Marauder40 said:

We met a couple in Cozumel that we’re on a different Carnival ship than we were and the wife was pregnant. They said they went to guest services on the ship and pleaded their case and they allowed only the husband to purchase the package. 

14 minutes ago, Roscoe13 said:

If your father and father in law ever cruise together then put them as cabin mates on paper.  Problem solved. 

Doubt they will ever be on the same cruise.  My parents like long north bound cruises, my in-laws like short south bound trips without having to fly.

Edited by Marauder40

I believe that currently the number of people who actually believe that the rules don't apply to them,  has never been higher. Look at the mess almost every cruise with self disembarkation. Look at the mess in tender ports. Pushing and shoving at elevators. And on and on. I see more rules and stricter enforcement coming, as a direct result of passenger behavior. Especially so on entry level lines like Carnival. To counter, we avoid the crowds, are happy to be near the last ones off, and tender according to excursion instructions. We take our time and marvel at some of what we see. Sometimes its quite a show!

• Like 5

I think it's pretty clear Carnival knows their clientele.  Just look at CC for the proof.  Based on the inordinate number of posts on the Carnival boards (as compared to the boards of other cruise lines) bragging about cheating, smuggling, stealing, and many other forms of rule-breaking; as well as all those posts from the less experienced, but equally entitled and dishonest cheaters asking for advice and tips on how to do the same, Carnival would be foolish to trust these people.  The rule is not going to be dropped.  Nor should it be.

• Like 11

On 8/26/2019 at 3:38 PM, bobbyandali said:

We recently sailed on Royal Caribbean and got their version of the unlimited alcohol package. What we found was, it made sense for me, but it didn't make sense for my wife. She just didn't drink enough alcohol to justify the cost. 

I'm guessing the reason for the rule is to prevent sharing, but I would think there are other ways to accomplish that. 

Has anyone heard of any discussions regarding removing this rule, or is it here to stay? 

Alcohol is (most likely) their biggest source of on board revenue, so no, they won't change it. Just set a budget and buy drinks ala carte.

2 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

I think it's pretty clear Carnival knows their clientele.  Just look at CC for the proof.  Based on the inordinate number of posts on the Carnival boards (as compared to the boards of other cruise lines) bragging about cheating, smuggling, stealing, and many other forms of rule-breaking; as well as all those posts from the less experienced, but equally entitled and dishonest cheaters asking for advice and tips on how to do the same, Carnival would be foolish to trust these people.  The rule is not going to be dropped.  Nor should it be.

Nailed it (again).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1