When do you think Carnival will cruise again?

PhillyFan33579

Over the last week or so I have texted with roughly a dozen or so crew members I am friends with thru Facebook. About half of them are still on ships and the other half are currently home. From what I have heard from them and from what has been going on around the country lately, I would be very surprised if Carnival, or any cruise line for that matter, is cruising before August of this year, and even that timeframe may be optimistic. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Over the last week or so I have texted with roughly a dozen or so crew members I am friends with thru Facebook. About half of them are still on ships and the other half are currently home. From what I have heard from them and from what has been going on around the country lately, I would be very surprised if Carnival, or any cruise line for that matter, is cruising before August of this year, and even that timeframe may be optimistic. 

I hope you are wrong P.F. I hope you are wrong. 

• Like 5

Anyone who spouts gloom and doom for the cruise industry is forgetting some history. The Carnival Splendor and Carnival Triumph experienced fires that left them stranded. Toilets didn’t work. It was all over the media. Carnival bounced back. Then the Costa Concordia disaster happened, lots of people were scared to sail, and then the industry bounced back. This, too, will pass. However, hopefully this will lead to lower prices for a year or two. After Concordia we took a 9 day Spring Break Mexico cruise for ~$1,600 for four people, inside. Nowadays Carnival charges around $2,700 for your run of the mill 7 day Mexico cruise, interior for four people. Prices keep increasing (along with gratuities) and it’s those margins that will allow Carnival to survive this, and will be shed when cruises happen again.

To answer the question directly, I doubt anyone will sail until sometime in August. Coronavirus is beginning its foothold in the United States and this will take a long time to resolve. Furthermore, even if the rate of new infections decreases, people will still be anxious about cruising and likely cancel en masse. Short term, not long term fear.

But of course, this whole situation is fluid. Rapid developments day by day, new scary figures day by day. For now, they only thing that’s almost certain is operations will not resume by April 10th. There’s just no way. How much further they’ll be delayed, though, is anyone’s guess.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

To stay on topic I would say 50/50 for Memorial Day, but in reality probably not until July. 😎

Several days ago I was hopeful and booked June 15 on a Royal Caribbean ship (going to Coco Cay seems most likely to actually happen), because two 30-day extensions would end on June 9.  Hoping that two more 30-day cancellation periods will be enough.  Now I am feeling a bit less positive, but still willing to have the money tied up in a FCC for a while.

• Like 1

I agree with the OP, August or September.  The models my media sources are showing have peak infection coming sometime in May.

Millions of people like to cruise.  It's an affordable and fun vacation geared toward the middling classes.  Whatever lines survive or are created to meet that demand will adapt and adopt their practices and designs to minimize the risks.  For example, buffets may become a thing of the past and they all start food courts.  On Carnival, the Vista class ships are just one step away from that now.  We mostly did lunch at Cucina del Capitano.  

I'm wondering whether the economic fallout will have more of an impact on cruising than a fear of disease.

Edited by naxer
clarity

Something to think about, my wife's nephew recently returned from a cruise on Conquest. Ship has no reported virus issues or debarkation problems. None of the four where permitted back to work until they home quarantined for 1-2 weeks. They all work at different places.

Can't say I blame the employers, probably the most responsible position for them to take. But, something you might wanna check into with your employer after we get back to sea.

2 hours ago, naxer said:

I agree with the OP, August or September.  The models my media sources are showing have peak infection coming sometime in May.

I pray this is way overblown. If it peaks in May, then America will be in financial ruins. For those somehow not affected, cruises will be cheap, the masses will be trying to put food on their tables.

• Like 1

We are confident enough to assume it will be after our planned May 10 cruise.

Yesterday, my son's university cancelled graduation for June.

that prompted me to cancel our airline tickets and sleep/park/fly hotel reservation. And tearfully cancel our graduation hotel stay.

we cancelled everything *except* our cruise, as we are holding out until the end of the month, to see where things go. Aka : what will Carnival do when they cancel it.

8 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

To stay on topic I would say 50/50 for Memorial Day, but in reality probably not until July. 😎

I believe you are right. I was even wondering if I’m safe to rebook a cruise for January. You know this will make a comeback if we don’t develop a vaccine by next flu season. 

6 hours ago, Pyrate13 said:

I will. I would go on one tomorrow if I could. 

To the original question, I think mid to late summer, but for all of us, it's only a guess.

I would too. I don't hold out too much hope for our May 3rd cruise but if they go we'll be there with them!

If the medications they are trying on the people who are most sick now turn out to be successful, I think the cruising industry may be back up and running by June.  They will probably know a lot more in a couple of weeks to a month.  A vaccine is a year out, but I read about medication being tested that may be better than a vaccine because the reaction is immediate.  That will require many more months of testing, but the other drugs are being given now. If they work, it's a game changer.

Anyway, although I am hopeful for June, I plan on rebooking my April cruise (once it is cancelled) for maybe October.

Edited by TNcruising02

33 minutes ago, momof3cruisers said:

I was just on the Carnival site and I couldn’t choose either April or May for Carribean cruises.

That is the second time that has been reported, and both times I tried and was able to complete a booking (up to the point of payment).  Possibly another website glitch.

9 minutes ago, Medtech2 said:

I’m booked for April 18. Supposedly my deadline to cancel with no penalty is March 31. Although I am hoping Carnival cancels it for me I would bet they cancel it April 1, after the deadline...

I have a Carnival cruise scheduled for 19 April. I got an email 13 March stating I now have up until 3 days before the cruise to cancel for FCC. I got the email from my TA, should be the same for all.

1 hour ago, Medtech2 said:

I’m booked for April 18. Supposedly my deadline to cancel with no penalty is March 31. Although I am hoping Carnival cancels it for me I would bet they cancel it April 1, after the deadline...

Safe bet to play chicken with them. I think they cancel all cruises in April and May. I hope not, as we have a late May cruise booked.

Our cruise on the Horizon was supposed to leave today,  

We  have one in early September leaving from Venice.  

I honestly doubt any of them sail.

Darn the bad luck.