P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Another rollercoaster of a day here! Car booked in for aircon diagnostic, so up early drop off at 8, nice 1.5 mile walk home. Had already looked at MSC sailing from Liverpool. 5 nighter looked good. So came back, no cabins left!

Then onto mobile phone company as Patrick scored a great upgrade deal last night with 20% discount. So, let's see if I can get the same. Used to find doing online chat the best way of getting a deal. Not a chance, the guy I assume in a call centre in another country, could not understand me. So called and nice agent near enough matched the deal (£2 more per month, but no upfront cost which Patrick had to pay) - result!

Next car insurance as it's renewal time. Again got a discount I was happy with from the renewal price and near as good as compared price.

Then a colleague called to say they were being taken off furlough and had to restart on Tuesday and 1  more would be told to restart, fingers crossed it wasn't me, not ready to go back just yet after the way they've treated us over the past 12 months. Anyway, not me! 

Then checked MSC again, woo hoo a cabin available. Progressed all the way to deposit payment,

'cabin not available' - what? Searched again, still there, tried again, same result. Tried 3rd time, success! So we're sailing from Liverpool 12 weeks today! Brand new ship, new port!

Then garage called (7 hours after dropping car off). Sorry, can't do it, we don't have the 'new gas' used. What??? 7 hours and you've only just found out you can't do it? Then told to ring other branches to see if  they can, why can't he? Too busy. So walked back and picked it up. What a waste.

Meanwhile the post had arrived and our friends sent us the most wonderful present. They had one of their friends paint this from one of our favourite photos of Charlie who you probably remember we lost 7 weeks ago.

As I say, another rollercoaster of a day.

B945D316-EADC-4598-8FAD-D9FD64CA23C5.jpeg

• Like 14

18 minutes ago, peteukmcr said:

Another rollercoaster of a day here! Car booked in for aircon diagnostic, so up early drop off at 8, nice 1.5 mile walk home. Had already looked at MSC sailing from Liverpool. 5 nighter looked good. So came back, no cabins left!

Then onto mobile phone company as Patrick scored a great upgrade deal last night with 20% discount. So, let's see if I can get the same. Used to find doing online chat the best way of getting a deal. Not a chance, the guy I assume in a call centre in another country, could not understand me. So called and nice agent near enough matched the deal (£2 more per month, but no upfront cost which Patrick had to pay) - result!

Next car insurance as it's renewal time. Again got a discount I was happy with from the renewal price and near as good as compared price.

Then a colleague called to say they were being taken off furlough and had to restart on Tuesday and 1  more would be told to restart, fingers crossed it wasn't me, not ready to go back just yet after the way they've treated us over the past 12 months. Anyway, not me! 

Then checked MSC again, woo hoo a cabin available. Progressed all the way to deposit payment,

'cabin not available' - what? Searched again, still there, tried again, same result. Tried 3rd time, success! So we're sailing from Liverpool 12 weeks today! Brand new ship, new port!

Then garage called (7 hours after dropping car off). Sorry, can't do it, we don't have the 'new gas' used. What??? 7 hours and you've only just found out you can't do it? Then told to ring other branches to see if  they can, why can't he? Too busy. So walked back and picked it up. What a waste.

Meanwhile the post had arrived and our friends sent us the most wonderful present. They had one of their friends paint this from one of our favourite photos of Charlie who you probably remember we lost 7 weeks ago.

As I say, another rollercoaster of a day.

B945D316-EADC-4598-8FAD-D9FD64CA23C5.jpeg

How lovely to have a painting of your beloved cat Charlie.Pleased that you managed to get a cruise booked with MSC from Liverpool.It would have been ideal for my nephew and his wife who live near to Liverpool and as they are both paramedics would have received a good discount but they are expecting their 2nd baby in July so perhaps next year..

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Absolutely Phil, but I think a Yorshireman might say 'wurry abart tamorra when it's ere'😉

Avril

Avril, Just goes to show the differences in dialect between West and South Yorkshire, I find I can follow Phil's easier than yours.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Avril, Just goes to show the differences in dialect between West and South Yorkshire, I find I can follow Phil's easier than yours.

Barnsley has it's own particular dialect. Sheffield dialect is different from Barnsley too. When we moved here from Middlesex, you can imagine how confused I was. The first piece of 'real' Barnsley I heard was, 'get thisen inta coil oil fo sum coil cos fires deein art'.😵 It was an entirely new language.

Avril

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Barnsley has it's own particular dialect. Sheffield dialect is different from Barnsley too. When we moved here from Middlesex, you can imagine how confused I was. The first piece of 'real' Barnsley I heard was, 'get thisen inta coil oil fo sum coil cos fires deein art'.😵 It was an entirely new language.

Avril

Where in Middlesex? I grew up in Middlesex.

I remember going youth hostelling with a couple of friends in Yorkshire and we went into a local pub and the locals where talking to us and said something to which to which I just replied "Oh Aye". My friends just looked at me and said "What did they say?" I understood what had been said as my grandfather came from Yorkshire, so I had grown up with the accent.

We were confused when we moved down here to Cornwall with some of the terminology.

16 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Where in Middlesex? I grew up in Middlesex.

I remember going youth hostelling with a couple of friends in Yorkshire and we went into a local pub and the locals where talking to us and said something to which to which I just replied "Oh Aye". My friends just looked at me and said "What did they say?" I understood what had been said as my grandfather came from Yorkshire, so I had grown up with the accent.

We were confused when we moved down here to Cornwall with some of the terminology.

Staines, and Dad was from Wraysbury.

Avril

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

Same with Sunderland and Newcastle even South Shields have different dialects.

Even north and South of the river wear which splits Sunderland the dialect is slightly different.

• Like 1

Met up in my daughters garden this evening, complete with thermals, woolly hat & gloves!

First time I had seen my daughter & 2 granddaughters since late January when I dropped off 15 year old birthday present and then stood at end of drive for a short chat. Have done zoom since but not the same.

School finished today, which came as relief for my daughter as she said this has felt like the longest term ever, she has been teaching both in class & online since January, half term was taken up preparing for full return to school in March. She had 10 days of isolation when the “bubble” burst with one child going down with covid, child wasn’t too bad but her father was hospitalised, he was 32, no underlying health conditions, fortunately has been discharged and at home recuperating. Still on tenterhooks until Tuesday in case of any new cases which would mean isolation.

Both granddaughters have grown, eldest as tall as me now. They are looking forward to a break as been a difficult term for them as well.

Tomorrow visiting my son and 2 youngest grandchildren, my grandson was born whilst we were on Oceana and in Valletta for the day, will see his progress with building decking and bar. So far 2 family members have built bars, seems a trend as I can see at least 4 neighbours with outdoor bars. 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 13

8 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Met up in my daughters garden this evening, complete with thermals, woolly hat & gloves!

First time I had seen my daughter & 2 granddaughters since late January when I dropped off 15 year old birthday present and then stood at end of drive for a short chat. Have done zoom since nut not the same.

School finished today, which came as relief for my daughter as she said this has felt like the longest term ever, she has been teaching both in class & online since January, half term was taken up preparing for full return to school in March. She had 10 days of isolation when the “bubble” burst with one child going down with covid, child wasn’t too bad but her father was hospitalised, he was 32, no underlying health conditions, fortunately has been discharged and at home recuperating. Still on tenterhooks until Tuesday in case of any new cases which would mean isolation.

Both granddaughters have grown, eldest as tall as me now. They are looking forward to a break as been a difficult term for them as well.

🤞Hope all goes well for your daughter.

Sounds like you have had a lovely day seeing your granddaughters and your daughter.

Hope you have a nice day tomorrow with your son and your other grandchildren.

I'm happy for you.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27

6 hours ago, peteukmcr said:

Car booked in for aircon diagnostic

Just a word of warning.  Many car dealers make a great deal of money by offering A/C gassing, re-gassing, diagnostic checks etc. It's a money spinning exercise,  pure and simple. 

I guess most of us on here have had cars with AC, and in 30 years I've never had to spend a penny on AC re-gassing or diagnostic checks.  

Worthwhile just asking  your garage exactly what they are doing and why. 

I've just returned from a couple of days visiting my mum. Thanks everyone who sent me good wishes a few days ago. Much appreciated. 

Mum was pleased to see me, although, in all honesty, I think she would have preferred to see her hairdresser! At 94, you have to admire her!

What struck me most, and this probably resonates with many of us, is that over  the last lock down, the mental  strains have been tough. Mum used to meet up with her "girls" in M&S or the latest " coffee hotspot" a couple of times a week,  but over the last three months this has not been possible.  Hopefully,  now that restrictions are being lifted, things may improve. 

I still smile when Mum tells me that she is the designated "sick visitor" for her WI. Not bad for 94!    

Just one moan - we did a little shopping trip into Colchester town centre. Only one set of public toilets were open.  The others were closed,  with a notice saying that this was to support the "working from home" policy of the government.

I'm totally perplexed - how does shutting a public toilet have any impact on a secretary working in an office?  Sheer nincompoopery!

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 8

26 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I've just returned from a couple of days visiting my mum. Thanks everyone who sent me good wishes a few days ago. Much appreciated. 

Mum was pleased to see me, although, in all honesty, I think she would have preferred to see her hairdresser! At 94, you have to admire her!

What struck me most, and this probably resonates with many of us, is that over  the last lock down, the mental  strains have been tough. Mum used to meet up with her "girls" in M&S or the latest " coffee hotspot" a couple of times a week,  but over the last three months this has not been possible.  Hopefully,  now that restrictions are being lifted, things may improve. 

I still smile when Mum tells me that she is the designated "sick visitor" for her WI. Not bad for 94!    

Just one moan - we did a little shopping trip into Colchester town centre. Only one set of public toilets were open.  The others were closed,  with a notice saying that this was to support the "working from home" policy of the government.

I'm totally perplexed - how does shutting a public toilet have any impact on a secretary working in an office?  Sheer nincompoopery!

I'm glad you had a good time with your Mum.I am looking forward to visiting my Mum who is 90 in a few weeks time.My  Mum is desperate to see a hairdresser too, like most of us!

I think the reason that only one set of public toilets is open in Colchester town centre is more to do with the cleaning /checking etc,If staff have been shielding or ill with covid or self isolating it means fewer employees to do the usual work .I don't mind as long as the council doesn't decide it no longer needs as many public toilets and decides to close some permanently.My mother in law when she was alive used to offer to take the 'elderly' people at her church to hospital appointments etc.She was mid eighties at the time! It makes me feel positively 'young' at 65!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ann141 said:

think the reason that only one set of public toilets is open in Colchester town centre is more to do with the cleaning /checking etc,If staff have been shielding or ill with covid or self isolating it means fewer employees to do the usual work

That's probably true,  but given that there are only two sets of toilets,  I'm not sure that shutting one set will actually have had any real effect. The one cleaner would  not exactly have been exposed to any more danger, as the toilets are closed when cleaning takes place. And the one remaining set of toilets would require more cleaning as they would be used twice as much. The poor cleaner probably just got paid less! 

I can't believe we are talking about cleaning public toilets on a cruise forum!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

First time I had seen my daughter & 2 granddaughters since late January when I dropped off 15 year old birthday present and then stood at end of drive for a short chat. Have done zoom since but not the same.

Tomorrow visiting my son and 2 youngest grandchildren, my grandson was born whilst we were on Oceana and in Valletta for the day, will see his progress with building decking and bar. So far 2 family members have built bars, seems a trend as I can see at least 4 neighbours with outdoor bars. 

Have a lovely time, a nice start to Easter weekend 

Michelle

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

That's probably true,  but given that there are only two sets of toilets,  I'm not sure that shutting one set will actually have had any real effect. The one cleaner would  not exactly have been exposed to any more danger, as the toilets are closed when cleaning takes place. And the one remaining set of toilets would require more cleaning as they would be used twice as much. The poor cleaner probably just got paid less! 

I can't believe we are talking about cleaning public toilets on a cruise forum!

NincomPOOPery.

• Haha 4

Well the cool weathers really back a cool 5.c this morning on this Good Friday .

It seems strange not seeing our annual run of the mill headlines in the papers today.

Things like "The Big UK Getaway" with the AA/RAC reporting choked up roads with 

holiday traffic and Airports crammed too. The road watch maps are clear as is flight radar.

I hope you all have a nice day and at least you should not be stuck in traffic this Easter.

animated-have-a-nice-day-image-0001.gif.e8411e3fab1723d13e6c20384a1f738d.gifand keep safe :classic_smile:

happy-easter-what-2i-11-funny-happy-easter-bunny-memes-53134929.jpg.16e7b2e8fbf0904534c4604ff3270f39.jpg

Edited by kalos
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

Just a word of warning.  Many car dealers make a great deal of money by offering A/C gassing, re-gassing, diagnostic checks etc. It's a money spinning exercise,  pure and simple. 

I guess most of us on here have had cars with AC, and in 30 years I've never had to spend a penny on AC re-gassing or diagnostic checks.  

Worthwhile just asking  your garage exactly what they are doing and why. 

Not remotely an area of expertise, but is that perhaps because you change your cars fairly frequently?  

We always buy new, but keep for at least 12 years (only on the fourth pair of cars since 1973!) and I’d hazard a guess that regassing every three years or so is probably wise?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Not remotely an area of expertise, but is that perhaps because you change your cars fairly frequently?  

We always buy new, but keep for at least 12 years (only on the fourth pair of cars since 1973!) and I’d hazard a guess that regassing every three years or so is probably wise?

Every 4 or 5 years. Had a citroen in Spain for 9 years - used the ac a lot! Never had anything done with it.

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Every 4 or 5 years. Had a citroen in Spain for 9 years - used the ac a lot! Never had anything done with it.

9 years using A/C regularly and no top up ?  You must have some system. I find every 3 to 4 years it needs servicing and topped up.