P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Very cold here too this morning, but the sun is trying to get through. I think It'll have a fight on it's hands though. The upside of a cold Easter is that it will hopefully keep the crowds away from parks and beaches. We've nothing planned for today, just the same old, same old. How sad is it that the next exciting thing on my calendar is a hair cut on the 14th and a delivery  of tomato plants on the 18th?  Have a lovely Easter everyone, whatever you're up to🐇🐣🥂

Avril

• Like 5

I thought as a rule of thumb, most cars A/C loses about 20% efficiency per year.  That said, our car's A/C coped  well last summer during the heatwave and is five years old and never been re-gassed.

Places like Kwik Fit charge considerably less to re-gas A/C than a manufacturer dealership.  Also, look out for Groupon deals.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Staines, and Dad was from Wraysbury.

Avril

We were further north in Northwood.

Well today is sunny and 10oC.  We got woken up by seagulls banging about on our flat roof early this morning. Will have to get my son to check that they don't start nesting up there when he goes past on the train on his way to work.

Had a knock on the door yesterday afternoon. My daughter had decided to get the train down and visit. It is was her first day back at school and out after being in isolation during lockdown.  We haven't seen her since Christmas so we sat in the garden and had a chat.

Internet crashed on me last night while I was trying to update my Tesco order and I accendently cancelled today's and next weeks deliveries. Managed to get a click and collect for next week, but couldn't for today. So took a trip up to the Tesco extra early and have stocked up some of the joints that are on offer at half price and my wines (25% of 6 bottles or more), plus 15% discount of the whole shop and double clubcard points.

Nothing else planned for today. Hope everyone has a good day and Good Friday.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

I thought as a rule of thumb, most cars A/C loses about 20% efficiency per year.  That said, our car's A/C coped  well last summer during the heatwave and is five years old and never been re-gassed.

Places like Kwik Fit charge considerably less to re-gas A/C than a manufacturer dealership.  Also, look out for Groupon deals.

Mine is 8 years old and it was working OK in last week's mini hot spell, having said know it is overdue a re gass

1 hour ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Ours will be 7 years old in October and never needed the a/c touching, and it was still working well during this weeks mini heatwave.

57 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Ours will be 7 years old in October and never needed the a/c touching, and it was still working well during this weeks mini heatwave.

And the important thing is to always have the ac switched on. Turning it off for any length of time leads to the seals drying out, causing loss of gas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

And the important thing is to always have the ac switched on. Turning it off for any length of time leads to the seals drying out, causing loss of gas.

Mine is always on, unless I switch it off, which is the opposite to previous version of same car. The service engineer told me the same ensure that you run for a period even in the winter. I tend to keep it on as it keeps windows clear on a damp day. 

• Like 2

On 4/1/2021 at 9:19 AM, Son of Anarchy said:

If people can't be bovvered to take their rubbish home, they could at least take a bin bag with them.  Put all the rubbish in bin bag and leave next to the bins provided.  It's not rocket science.  Haven't been to the local parks since the latest easing, but unfortunately they will be probably have been left in an equally disgraceful state.

We've just had a walk in our local park (as has become a habit since last March) and I have to say it is still beautiful. Everyone there was still socially distanced, mindful of others and it wasn't too crowded. We walked around it three times (!) and did not see any litter left by those we saw who had had a small picnic. It really was beautiful today and credit to anyone using it. 

• Like 9

We have had a lovely day today.  A walk to the park and back this morning, avoiding the roads except for about half a mile each way.  We didn't stay in the park because it was very busy. We then had my niece's children while she and her husband went to see her oncologist so the lawn is now in need of attention after a game of football which I now know I am too old for. 

I have managed to book my hair appointment so hopefully by lunchtime on the 12th I may look human rather than a cave woman.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Presto2 said:

We've just had a walk in our local park (as has become a habit since last March) and I have to say it is still beautiful. Everyone there was still socially distanced, mindful of others and it wasn't too crowded. We walked around it three times (!) and did not see any litter left by those we saw who had had a small picnic. It really was beautiful today and credit to anyone using it. 

After my recent rant,walked round Knoll park Sevenoaks today with family.No mess and the odd group of people having a picnic.Although very busy.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Our car is 5 years old now and normally endures the whole of the Italian summer with temps 40+ sometimes.No probs so far.A lot of Italians drive expensive cars with the windows open to save a few bob on fuel,lol.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

I was told by a mechanic to regularly run your AC otherwise if you don't it is likely to develop a fault.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brian1 said:

Our car is 5 years old now and normally endures the whole of the Italian summer with temps 40+ sometimes.No probs so far.A lot of Italians drive expensive cars with the windows open to save a few bob on fuel,lol.

13 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I was told by a mechanic to regularly run your AC otherwise if you don't it is likely to develop a fault.

Driving with your windows open, increases drag, so you actually get less mpg. Same as in Spain - Spaniards driving along at 40c with their windows open - just why?

And, as I said previously, leave your ac on all the time. Turning it off is pointless and potentially expensive.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Driving with your windows open, increases drag, so you actually get less mpg. Same as in Spain - Spaniards driving along at 40c with their windows open - just why?

And, as I said previously, leave your ac on all the time. Turning it off is pointless and potentially expensive.

Could get a bit cold in the winter though.😨

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

Could get a bit cold in the winter though.😨

Graham, I presume you are being droll. You keep the ac on, but turn the heating up!

In the last 30 years, I've never turned the ac off in any car I have owned.

23 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Graham, I presume you are being droll. You keep the ac on, but turn the heating up!

In the last 30 years, I've never turned the ac off in any car I have owned.

My Renault Captur AC default is on.

Edited by grapau27

14 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I never use the AC unless I am driving in Florida.

Again, I'm assuming you are being droll! Why not use it ? And would you not use ac in Spain in 40c heat, just because you are not in Florida?

It can get hotter in the UK in the summer than in Florida, so the ac is essential. Plus the ac also reduces humidity in the car year round. Using the ac dramatically improves the air quality in the car. 

I still miss the air conditioned glove box in our Picasso!  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Again, I'm assuming you are being droll! Why not use it ? And would you not use ac in Spain in 40c heat, just because you are not in Florida?

It can get hotter in the UK in the summer than in Florida, so the ac is essential. Plus the ac also reduces humidity in the car year round. Using the ac dramatically improves the air quality in the car. 

I still miss the air conditioned glove box in our Picasso!  

I never drive in Spain.

Not being droll.

I edited the post you replied to with.

My Renault Captur AC default position is on.

It is a 69 reg and I never put the cold blowers on.

We prefer to have the windows down slightly.

Edited by grapau27

18 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I never drive in Spain.

Not being droll.

No worries  - we all have our own preferences. But, with the windows slightly open, your mpg will go down, and you won't be able to properly hear Pop Master!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

No worries  - we all have our own preferences. But, with the windows slightly open, your mpg will go down, and you won't be able to properly hear Pop Master!

I always drive carefully so always have a good MPG.

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

I never drive in Spain.

Not being droll.

You drive with your windows down in Florida?

Morning 5.c this morning but we can expect 11.c later so may go for a walk around then .

Had a quick look through some of the posts on here and the Air con seems to be doing well 

A pretty cool subject if you ask me, did you know the inventor of the air con had died ,many fans attended the funeral :classic_wink: I try to avoid debates over air con as they can soon become "Heated":classic_unsure: Some of my older cars never had air -con ,the closest thing to it was if a wasp got in the car and the family wafted that about for a while. Happy days.

Well I'm going to sit back and read the real papers but first lets have a look at some proper headlines .

Have a good day and keep safe :classic_smile:

news1.thumb.jpg.4a5281bc3b9f4fc31ea3b78293965819.jpgnews2.thumb.jpg.95113158d6a060e0243531d77bc0d78e.jpgnews3.thumb.jpg.bbb0c6452c450ed9a8a85cf55184a8d6.jpgnews4.thumb.jpg.e392e66efa79ee1a451b12092cfd275e.jpg

hug_your_hospital_appeal.thumb.jpg.ba915e679b4a4e6c8483c36216622650.jpg

Edited by kalos
  • Like 4
  • Haha 6