P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

18 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

As the weather is turning colder up and down the country we need something to debate, words fail me regarding the littering in the parks so not going there. I have just received details from Halifax bank regarding a maturing ISA, they will generously give me 0.2% on a 2 year fixed interest account or I can do nothing and automatically receive 0.05%. I thought they will have a better deal than that so went to their site and 0.2 is their best rate. So it looks like Yorkshire building society for me at 0.45% fixed for 1 year, still rubbish but a damn site better that Halifax. That's my whinge of the day.

Every year we put some money in the Yorkshire . The holiday fund. We pay the holiday  on my card to get the avois points and then take it out if the BS, into the bank and pay the card,.Still with me ?. We go into the branch and transfer, say £2.5k. Do you realise sir that you will lose 72p interest.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, kalos said:

Just a set of thoughtless self centred ignorant people, who strangely enough want to sit 

in nice clean open spaces but leave it in such a state for others to clean up. As you say 

where this mind set has come from as I'm sure in our day "keep Britain tidy" we did do that .

I like the photo in todays papers where a thoughtless idiot thought a farmers gateway to a 

field was put there for him to park for a time that suited him . The farmer had other ideas ,

good for him  I say .

PRI188717345-e1a4.jpg.0d3c00b690ba74c66fadc75995f202b6.jpg

Yes, but I am wondering if it is an April Fool.  I have not seen any this year.

41 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Best toast

May be an image of fire, outdoors and indoor

Mmm, lovely, I can almost taste it. The natural way to cook is best. I only use the microwave to defrost or soften butter if I've forgotten to get it out of the 'fridge. 

Avril

Sorry to hear that some of you have got cooler weather. It is the opposite here, yesterday wehad hazy sunshine and it only reached 12oC and it became foggy mid afternoon. Today it is bright sunshine, although a bit breezy but warmer at 16oC.

My mother has an open fire and you can't beat chestnuts that have been roasted on it, or crumpets.

I agree with those of you that don't like whelks, cockles, mussels, squid but I do like crab, lobster and prawns.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

As the weather is turning colder up and down the country we need something to debate, words fail me regarding the littering in the parks so not going there. I have just received details from Halifax bank regarding a maturing ISA, they will generously give me 0.2% on a 2 year fixed interest account or I can do nothing and automatically receive 0.05%. I thought they will have a better deal than that so went to their site and 0.2 is their best rate. So it looks like Yorkshire building society for me at 0.45% fixed for 1 year, still rubbish but a damn site better that Halifax. That's my whinge of the day.

Premium bond winners are announced tomorrow. I think I have more chance of winning than any interest rate I can get from a bank!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, brian1 said:

Smoked salmon is an acquired taste.I only have it for Christmas breakie with scrambled eggs and gammon.

That’s my breakfast most Sundays. We eat a lot of fish and I don’t think I have found one that I don’t like so far (except the smelly Icelandic fermented shark, that would absolutely give you the dry boke).

We stay regularly at the same hotel in Lake Garda and they often serve “the fish of the lake”, I have no idea what species the blighter is but it comes straight off the water to the kitchens and is delicious with lemon and rosemary butter.

Also love the bbq sardines of the pavement boat shaped bbqs in Spain.

Funny how the U.K. is an island but people don’t eat that much fish compared to elsewhere when it is so plentiful and diverse.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, tring said:

I would say not as it is reported in a fair few papers today.  

Luckily for the driver, the farmer only did the stunt to make a point online

and removed the fences once the photo had been shared.

Edited by kalos
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

That’s my breakfast most Sundays. We eat a lot of fish and I don’t think I have found one that I don’t like so far (except the smelly Icelandic fermented shark, that would absolutely give you the dry boke).

We stay regularly at the same hotel in Lake Garda and they often serve “the fish of the lake”, I have no idea what species the blighter is but it comes straight off the water to the kitchens and is delicious with lemon and rosemary butter.

Funny how the U.K. is an island but people don’t eat that much fish compared to elsewhere when it is so plentiful and diverse.

I am not a great fish lover but I remember about 20 years ago we did a Nile cruise from Luxor to Aswan and back. One evening meal, they served what they said was sea bass. It had a horrible muddy taste and most of us didn’t get further than a couple of mouthfuls. It later transpired that it was Nile perch. If you ever get offered it, best to politely turn down the offer (and of anything else that comes out of the Nile).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, ann141 said:

Premium bond winners are announced tomorrow. I think I have more chance of winning than any interest rate I can get from a bank!

Even Ernie has cut back on rates via prize reduction. The thing I like about PB's is the anticipation of winning a decent prize without risking your capital, plus its tax free. I am slightly behind this year compared with putting the money in fixed interest or a bond, I have never won an individual prize bigger than £25 yet seem to get multiples of that most months. Luck of the draw as they say.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, tring said:

I heard of two on the radio this morning (from the papers)

1. The Queen sharing her 'truth' with Oprah Winfrey and

2. A photo of the 'marriage' of Meghan and Harry (long lens!) the day before with the Archbishop of Canterbury in an Elvis wig, as requested by the bride! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

I heard of two on the radio this morning (from the papers)

1. The Queen sharing her 'truth' with Oprah Winfrey and

2. A photo of the 'marriage' of Meghan and Harry (long lens!) the day before with the Archbishop of Canterbury in an Elvis wig, as requested by the bride! 

Apparently in the pre wedding wedding, Harry vowed to obey.

• Haha 1

Our grandson likes smoked salmon & scrambled eggs when he stays with us, good choice!!! He has a mature taste in food, a couple of years ago when he was eight I asked him what his favourite tea was expecting sausage or something but he told me it was Pollo alla Crema or king prawns in their shell cooked with garlic!!! He has good taste 

Michelle 

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Could be worse, they are threatening negative rates.

When I was young and had nothing in the bank and a mortgage, interest rates were in double figures. Now I have no mortgage and savings they offer zero point something.

I agree with your whinge entirely.

Been there got the badge too.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I will eat practically any fish and seafood but my Wife is not so keen

Some years ago in Australia she was quite ill after eating Barramundi, after speaking to doctor we were told it can be poisonous to some people.

4 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

I will eat practically any fish and seafood but my Wife is not so keen

Some years ago in Australia she was quite ill after eating Barramundi, after speaking to doctor we were told it can be poisonous to some people.

Bit like wedding cake then?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Although fish is popular now in Calabria,back in the 19th century not many people survived at sea level with malaria and all sorts being rife.Most people lived in the mountains living on meat.I read parts of the UK were almost as bad,Romney Marshes in Kent being one.Cheers,Brian.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

I've had a lttle trawl, (pun intended😉) through Google and  it could be Salmo carpio, also called Lake Garda carpione and is endemic to Lake Garda. Ain't Google great?😁

Avril

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I've had a lttle trawl, (pun intended😉) through Google and  it could be Salmo carpio, also called Lake Garda carpione and is endemic to Lake Garda. Ain't Google great?😁

Avril

Carpe diem; as they say in Yorkshire.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ann141 said:

Got more in prizes from PB, than Interest on my ISA. My mother who died last April, has won £200 since her death, you are allowed to keep investments in NS&I for a year after death registered, winnings are paid to the estate, can’t reinvest. 

• Like 1