P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

4 hours ago, AnnieC said:

£75 and daughter £25 (her first win).😀

My mom won again, another £25, that’s £225 since she died almost a year ago, April draw was the last one before we have to cash them in. Nothing for me this month, although PBS have paid out more than my ISA interest in last 12 months. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

In the longer term, yes, but for quick access savings, particularly for higher rate taxpayers, premium bonds take a lot of beating.

I can withdraw my ISA funds in a maximum of 2 days, and if I pay it back in the same tax year, it keeps its tax free status.  Never tried to cash in premium bonds but I bet it takes more time, and if you want to put it back in, you have to wait for a qualifying period before it re-joins the draw.

Edited by terrierjohn

7 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I can withdraw my ISA funds in a maximum of 2 days, and if I pay it back in the same tax year, it keeps its tax free status.  Never tried to cash in premium bonds but I bet it takes more time, and if you want to put it back in, you have to wait for a qualifying period before it re-joins the draw.

I fully appreciate that, John, and I do have a stocks and shares ISA. But withdrawals and repayments are always subject to the variations of the stock market, unlike premium bonds.

Each has its advantages. Many of us, I'm sure, use both.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I fully appreciate that, John, and I do have a stocks and shares ISA. But withdrawals and repayments are always subject to the variations of the stock market, unlike premium bonds.

Each has its advantages. Many of us, I'm sure, use both.

The majority of our savings are in various investment trusts (in an ISA wrapper) but we keep a certain amount in cash.  It's a no brainer to put spare cash in Premium Bonds - OK, the return is not as good as it was,  but on average, you will get a better return than the measly 0.1%or less offered by most banks, building societies etc.

And, you can have access to your money in 24 hours. I try and keep our current account to no more than £1000. No point letting my bank have the use of my money  for nothing.

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

you have to wait for a qualifying period before it re-joins the draw.

Yes, theoretically a maximum of 60 or so days, if you invest on the first of the month. However, given existing interest rates,  I'm not sure that the financial loss would be that great,  even on the max of £50k.

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

It takes 2 from time issue instruction to when it’s in your bank account

• Like 1

Good Morning and Happy Easter to you all.

I hope everyone is well and enjoying the freedom of visits from families. I'm just catching up with posts and the happiness is a joy to read. 

I have been working at the vaccine hub which, over the last few days, has been a complete joy. Every single person has turned up for their appointment and every drop of vaccine has been used. We've seen some lovely patients who, it being their second jab, remember us from the first one so we've had some lovely chats and catch ups. 

As I'm catching up, I just want to thank Ann for posting that glorious photo of the Easter postbox topper. It really made me ashamed that I have no such talents. 

Sarah, I hope the little one is better now and I know exactly what you mean about 'only mum can make me better'. Much as these precious little ones love their nans, it's only mum they need when they're unwell.

Have a happy and safe day everyone and enjoy whatever do over the Easter break. With very best wishes. Jane. X

• Like 17

36 minutes ago, Beckett said:

I hope everyone is well and enjoying the freedom of visits from families. I'm just catching up with posts and the happiness is a joy to read. 

I have been working at the vaccine hub which, over the last few days, has been a complete joy. Every single person has turned up for their appointment and every drop of vaccine has been used. We've seen some lovely patients who, it being their second jab, remember us from the first one so we've had some lovely chats and catch ups. 

As I'm catching up, I just want to thank Ann for posting that glorious photo of the Easter postbox topper. It really made me ashamed that I have no such talents. 

Sarah, I hope the little one is better now and I know exactly what you mean about 'only mum can make me better'. Much as these precious little ones love their nans, it's only mum they need when they're unwell.

Have a happy and safe day everyone and enjoy whatever do over the Easter break. With very best wishes. Jane. X

Great that you’ve had such a positive few days and absolutely excellent news that everyone turned up. That is very cheering news indeed.

Have a wonderful Easter.

Gill x

• Like 4

A bright sunny morning here this morning but only 2.c and the grass has got a blue tinge

to it telling me it's cold outside. Happy Easter everyone ! Easter is a time to look forward 

to better times and with the virus now falling, in the UK anyway ,it does feel better than 

last year's at Easter . Anyone remember last years egg hunt ? Forget the garden kids , us 

grown ups were struggling to find eggs in the shops ,the shelves were bare of lots of things .

We are going in the right direction folks  , take care and stay safe .:classic_smile:

Happy-Easter-Quotes.thumb.jpg.fa4e4b41708b03b68cc80302ca336548.jpg

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

Good to hear that things have been going well.

A bright, but cold and frosty start to the day down here.

I'm not expecting any visitors today, but those of you who are seeing family I hope you have an enjoyable time.

Sarah, how is your grandson today? 

Happy Easter everyone.

• Like 7

To those who celebrate, Happy Easter. Very dull here today, but I need to get out and trim back a Pyracantha that has been discovered hiding behind 2 x 20 foot conifers we had to have cut down on Friday (dying and in danger of being blown over). 

Had a visit by friends on Friday too who we haven't seen for over 12 months (they were on their way back from being vaccinated at the Etihad Stadium) so called in for 'afternoon tea' in the garden! Rare treat.

Yesterday went for a stroll around the city as the weather was nice and bright and try out the camera on my new phone (struck a hard deal with my mobile provider)

4220B8B3-ED80-416B-B3D1-2F14501002F9.jpg

9905DA1E-0A08-4857-94EA-441DAC955DC8.jpg

7761353A-E74A-4951-8C1B-EA234AF02CCD.jpg

38CB236A-847E-4644-9BFB-F9642492C480.jpg

BA511609-334E-4F69-97F4-1EF8756D281F.jpg

26A531E3-DBE5-4009-BEBC-8CB2FB2B6734.jpg

Edited by peteukmcr
  • Like 13

38 minutes ago, peteukmcr said:

To those who celebrate, Happy Easter. Very dull here today, but I need to get out and trim back a Pyracantha that has been discovered hiding behind 2 x 20 foot conifers we had to have cut down on Friday (dying and in danger of being blown over). 

Had a visit by friends on Friday too who we haven't seen for over 12 months (they were on their way back from being vaccinated at the Etihad Stadium) so called in for 'afternoon tea' in the garden! Rare treat.

Yesterday went for a stroll around the city as the weather was nice and bright and try out the camera on my new phone (struck a hard deal with my mobile provider)

4220B8B3-ED80-416B-B3D1-2F14501002F9.jpg

9905DA1E-0A08-4857-94EA-441DAC955DC8.jpg

7761353A-E74A-4951-8C1B-EA234AF02CCD.jpg

38CB236A-847E-4644-9BFB-F9642492C480.jpg

BA511609-334E-4F69-97F4-1EF8756D281F.jpg

26A531E3-DBE5-4009-BEBC-8CB2FB2B6734.jpg

We had to have four conifers removed two years ago for the same reason, but we only found an extra 4ft of garden😉. You seem more positve today Pete, I hope it contnues. Enjoy the rest of your day.

Avril

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Beckett said:

A Very Happy Easter Jane x. Your fortnight break and readjustment of your working life seems to have done the trick. It's heartening to know that people are now embracing the vaccination programme despite all the negativity of media, covidiots and protesters. Have a good day and take care.

Avril

• Like 2

Happy Easter all. Quiet day here, John continuing with the never ending painting in the hall, stairs and landing! So many doors and skirting boards. 

While they’re drying he promises to join me in a walk! Started dull again here but looks like the sun is trying to peep through.

• Like 3

Good morning and a very Happy Easter. Blue skies, brilliant sunshine, a gentle breeze and 11c at the moment. It's really cheered me up this morning, so much so, that I've just ordered a three-seater swing seat for the garden, arriving Tuesday. More work for Frank, it's self-assembly, I'll tell him later😉. Enjoy your day whatever you're up to.

Avril

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Lovely church service this morning.

We have our chicken and vegetable wraps coffee and hot chocolate and now sitting at the beach where it is 14°C.

Happy Easter everyone.

Graham.

IMG_20210404_112649.jpg

IMG_20210404_112718.jpg

A nicer photo the  last one you posted from there, it was a misereble day then. It looks lovely there today and the sea is so calm.

Avril

• Thanks 1

Well yesterday we had a long walk and sat out in the garden enjoying the brilliant sunshine, I had to hide indoors every so often to cool down. Today it is. Blowing a Gale and freezing cold. Predicted to be minus 3 overnight and sleet.

Church and then egg rolling, my husband was eating chocolate before breakfast! It’s not the same without the family around, we usually have an Easter egg hunt in the garden (I’m told I’m quite competitive and can’t have move for an “old”lady)

Easter blessing all whatever you are doing today.

• Like 8

Got a bus into Romford today.M&S have a new shirt range and we were going to buy some fruit in the market.It was like a ghost town.It's our 1st Easter in UK for years.I thought it was only Christmas day everywhere shut.Silly us.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Angel57 said:

Great that you’ve had such a positive few days and absolutely excellent news that everyone turned up. That is very cheering news indeed.

Have a wonderful Easter.

Gill x

Thanks Gill. Yes, it's been very positive and extremely cheering. So nice to interact with like-minded people. Now, I saw the lovely picture of Freddie with your tights and wonder if I could borrow him to do the same with some of my clothes! Happy Easter. Jane.x

• Like 4

3 hours ago, peteukmcr said:

Yesterday went for a stroll around the city as the weather was nice and bright and try out the camera on my new phone (struck a hard deal with my mobile provider).

I enjoyed your photos very much, especially the station and the Cathedral. In the seventies I went to college in Manchester (now part of Chetham’s school of music) and used Victoria station daily.  The Cathedral was on our route to the shops.  I hadn’t been to the city for 30 years until I went for a Peter Kay event at the stadium 10 years ago and couldn’t believe how much it had changed.  Nice memories of a carefree time!

• Like 1