Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

On 2/20/2023 at 8:46 PM, dani negreanu said:

Pls. see final thoughts below

Alhambra was amazing. I'm sure on the 2nd visit, you'll see details you've missed on the first.

Our Venice trip is over. We got home late Saturday night (motzey shabat). Of course, nothing food-shopping wise is open so late, and if some non-kosher supers are open, they don't have fresh produce, since Friday and Saturday.... And Sunday is also takes time to replenish. We stocked today.

We'll fly to Marrakesh on March 19th, the day some of the lucky ones of you will debark Oasis... I'll have all the week to follow your adventures and be jealous 😢

We enjoyed our trip to Venice and fulfilled a long-time dream of living like a Venetian and eat fresh sea food products. We had 2 days of beautiful and freezing weather, and we're grateful for those.

It was a real treat to buy at the sea food market. Hubby kept whispering: "Did you check how much are those"? Me: "I don't CARE"... In the end, after really going "wild", the bill was 39 Euro, which lasted us 2 gourmet evening meals, and the 2nd time, even cheaper -- 36 Euro, again, for 2 gourmet evening meals.

For lunch we took away an amazing pizza (3X), a few mins walk from our rental. It was pipping hot still when we got "home". The last day we finished all the pizza left overs.

I've splurged for my fav raspberries, and found a new version of blueberries, enormous, flat [think IRobot] and very sturdy. I've bought 6 packets for the flying home day, and they sustained us very well.

It was one of the cheapest stays, food wise.

Nevertheless, we don't plan to return any time soon. For us, it's an exhausting city.... 

If you're tired of walking, you can't just call a taxi home. Of course, you can take the waterbus, but first, you have to reach the nearest station, spend some time in it, and then, if you're lucky, your accommodation isn't far from the station. So, proximity to a waterbus station is very important.

As an example, Saturday -- woke up when it was still dark, checked up to see if the waterbus we needed to reach the Bus Station is not cancelled due to the foggy weather. Thankfully, it was running. Walk with our carry ons only 5 minutes on the uneven and narrow lane to the nearest waterbus station. Wait for it in the freezing cold. 30 minutes later we're at the Bus Station. 10 mins walk to the airport bus. Wait for it in the freezing cold for 20 mins. Travel to the airport - 70 mins. Arriving the required 3 hours before. One hour before boarding, at the low cost gate -- a very long line, no seats. Then you wait OUTSIDE the gate, to be herded, walking, to the plane, climbing the stairs with our luggage.

Mercifully, they were on time. Almost 4 hours flight, not even a glass of water was offered free of charge...

First time ever I was so happy that our trip was over and I'm finally at home....

Welcome home! I always feel there's no place like your own bed after a holiday.

Glad you and DH achieved the aim of living like a local. Food seems very good value compared to eating out, especially in Venice tourist style restaurants.

Your pics were amazing especially all the costumes. 

Looking forward to hearing about Marrakesh next month.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

@h20skibumPrayers for a successful operation with excellent results for your daughter today, Mark.  🙏

I can't imagine how stressful this day is for you and your family.🙏

13 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

🙏🤞

Will be thinking of your family today 🙏

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Thanks I will definitely check it out on our next visit. I hear Kat the bartender makes some really great cocktails.

Not tried or met Kat yet. Am a teetotaler😄, but Chats and mom pop are friends of dh from long time back so we go to visit when we are in St M. 😁I feel lost in the bourbons and bottles there and all the talk. I'd rather be lost in a diamond store!😁 LOL

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, Coralc said:

Oh No! Your trip is this week? I'm so sorry you and Michelin will be arriving just in time for a record cold snap and very high winds. It should still be nice, but they are predicting snow down to 1,000 feet later in the week. You may experience the unusual sight of Bay Area and Wine Country hills with snow tops. ☺️

Unfortunately, we’re in Napa right now with very cold weather. 34F when we woke up. We were supposed to be on a hot air balloon ride right now but they called yesterday and cancelled. It was very windy yesterday but today is calm so not sure why they cancelled. Wouldn’t think that too cold would be the reason. 100% chance of

rain tomorrow. We brought rain jackets, umbrellas, and cold weather clothing so we’ll be fine. We’ll just miss out on some beautiful views. Sounds like we’re getting the same weather that Dani had in Venice. 🤣

On the plus side, our hotel room is great. Very large with a fireplace (that’s coming in handy right now) and a decent sized, private patio that might be good for enjoying a glass

of wine later today if it warms up enough. 

Lots of art around here. We stopped to see the Grape Crusher statue. 
1181A2B3-A3BF-4BD1-B66E-39E84B772F43.thumb.jpeg.d83bee9d436033ce709f63044b6644e2.jpeg

And this statue is outside of our hotel room. Water is pumped to the top and drips down from the umbrella. Appropriate for tomorrow. 
D9959A97-CE71-4ACC-9747-4D117263185B.thumb.jpeg.2810f89333f4be390d24dd5dde5f2f56.jpeg

Our first winery stop is at 12:30 today so we’ll wander around town a bit this morning. The concierge told us that not much happens here in the morning. Everyone is still recovering from drinking wine all day the previous day. 

Edited by bobmacliberty
  • Like 16

23 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

We visited Venice in 2004 with another couple, we did book our hotel near the water bus, but we arrived via bus from Marco Polo, after lugging 2 suitcases and backpack over the 4 bridges and no straight pathway,

I "hear" you...

One of the main reasons I've booked this particular flat in Venice was his proximity to the water bus [Alilaguna Blu] from Marco Polo... What I couldn't know and I know now, is that there are 4 (four) stops named Fte Nuove... Of course, our "bus" stopped at A, which necessitated climbing many stairs and then descending them, after all the running around we've done the flying out day...

On our previous stay in Venice, pre-cruise, I've got an excellent recommendation on Italy's Ports of Call about a hotel [Fontana], who's main "asset" was "no bridges and no stairs to cross from Alilaguna Blu stop" 😁

I've booked this hotel, and, indeed, it was straight on a mere 4 mins from the stop. It was ideally situated for arriving from the airport, and the day of the cruise (July 2014), to board it to "Crociere".

2 hours ago, StanleyandGus said:

Soon we will be in Disney and then a 4 day cruise!

Wishing you an enjoyable stay at Disney with much higher temperatures, and an amazing cruise 🌷

@Momof3gurlz Deb & Andy, belated best wishes for your 35th anniversary 💐

I have another batch of pics, this time from DH's camera --

The Rialto Bridge fogged in 

image.thumb.jpeg.eb06388814e29347ae1ff973494e0579.jpeg

The St. Mark's Basilica

image.thumb.jpeg.8dd74fae87c11f8b49c64687b9612573.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.787099992b4256e01dc5a135c6c9c2c4.jpeg

The Grand Canal

image.thumb.jpeg.3e74e2ac1f71093663690ea8c2c450f1.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1e50c690c181ab2a47faa04d4ce35b1f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.41f0a79daeadc3aa8e4f0a796942be7d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b2304fcab28dd098dcd9065567a5ae7d.jpeg