Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

5 hours ago, Arzeena said:

So sorry but I think I am late in saying Congratulations if Felix is the new baby your son's family was expecting? I have so much reading to catch up to just on this thread alone, and so many new people here to say hello to. But it's all good! We were away cruising.

Hugs for Bella.❤️

Thanks, most of the Felix info is on the Bella thread

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Well in anticipation of my upcoming cruise in November, I found out I that I could go ahead and get a booster shot of the Pfizer vaccine. Made appointment at local CVS. In and out in less than 5 minutes. Feels good to have a third dose for added measure.

Good for you, it must be a great feeling.  I’m curious if this is common in your area  and if you had to be 8 months past your 2nd shot (but respect that you may not want to share further details.) 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

Time goes too fast!  She was born two months after my mom was killed.  My daughter always said there was a reason she was pregnant with her as she was unplanned.  The reason was she got us through some horrible times and has kept us entertained all this time.  We just wish my mom could have met her.

Happy birthday to your 7 year old princess.  Your mother's legacy lives on in all your grandchildren. My parents died before my grandchildren were born.  I show my grandkids pictures and stories so they live on in their young minds.

4 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

@BonTexasNY

Thursday we traveled to DS2 house to baby sit, since they were invited to my DIL's older sister (40) henna ceremony.

My DIL's parents were born in Romania, like me (which makes us Ashkenazi Jews), whereas the older sister is marrying a guy whose parents were born in Morocco (which makes them Sephardi Jews).

Can't really say that my in-laws are thrilled with the impending marriage, since there are many different mentalities and cultures between the two "parts". The bride-to-be is tall (176 cm/5ft 9.29 inch), which made it difficult for her to find a "second half".

I keep telling my DIL's mother that the couple love each other, but she is worried ... the groom is not travelling on Saturdays and is eating "kosher", whereas our whole family does not.

Anyway, I took some pictures from my DS2's balcony, late afternoon and then at night.... Manhattan in Israel 😄

Henna ceremony

The henna ceremony, a pre-wedding event which has been a tradition in Asian, North African and Middle Eastern cultures, where women paint designs, or in this case place dye onto the skin of the bride and her guests, was held about a week before the wedding.

IMG_6445.jpg

IMG_6446.jpg

IMG_6447 (1).mov 15.38 MB · 0 downloads

Wonderful pictures.  I never tire of seeing pictures of Israel especially Tel-Aviv.  However, I don't recognize anything.  So much has changed in Tel Aviv.  What are we looking out on?

I had a Jewish friend from India who met her husband through a matchmaker.  Parents were very strict and she wasn't allowed to date men of her own choosing.  She also had a henna ceremony and the pictures she showed opened my eyes to another culture I was so unaware of. They moved to America shortly after they married.

When Jack and I were dating in NY, his mother in Israel wrote and asked him if I was "black" which I found out much later meant Sephardi.  This totally confused me since he had previously sent pictures of me. I was unaware of the different cultures between Ashkenazi (Eastern European) and Sephardi, which were very prevalent 50 years ago. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

What are we looking out on?

Modi'in. Far on your left is Palace 🌷

They are still prevalent.... Speaking of "black" -- 55 years ago, when we arrived in Israel, some of the girls I was with at HS invited me to their house after school,  the "new immigrant", to do our homework together.

Sometimes, the mothers were not enchanted with me... to say the least -- they told in Yiddish, assuming I will not understand, "what r u doing with this 'schwarze' " ?? [my complexion is quite dark, when in US people speak to me in Spanish without hesitation].

One time I couldn't resist replying in my very limited Yiddish that "this schwarze is from Bucharest...".😉

Edited by dani negreanu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Well in anticipation of my upcoming cruise in November, I found out I that I could go ahead and get a booster shot of the Pfizer vaccine. Made appointment at local CVS. In and out in less than 5 minutes. Feels good to have a third dose for added measure.

That is very good news.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Good for you, it must be a great feeling.  I’m curious if this is common in your area  and if you had to be 8 months past your 2nd shot (but respect that you may not want to share further details.) 

Actually my wife found out that we could get the booster. They want people who are immune compromised which some of the meds I take do make me fit. But it's not like at the CVS they asked me a lot of questions. 

One the CVS website we found this:

Who qualifies for an additional dose?

On August 12, the FDA authorized an additional vaccine dose for certain immunocompromised individuals as part of its Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) amendment. The amendment applies to the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine for patients 12 years and older and the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine for patients 18 years and older. Due to insufficient data, the EUA amendment for an additional dose does not apply to the Johnson & Johnson (Janssen) COVID-19 vaccine or to individuals who received the Johnson & Johnson (Janssen) COVID-19 vaccine as a primary series. The CDC and FDA are actively engaged to ensure that immunocompromised individuals who received the Johnson & Johnson (Janssen) COVID-19 vaccine have optimal vaccine protection and we expect to hear more guidance in the near future.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We are trying to buy a new SUV. Nothing we want is available😱!!!!!!!! and everythiing else is thousands over MSRP.

Better be looking at Royal Caribbean's ships for sale at that rate and put wheels on them!

Edited by Arzeena
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

Happy birthday to your 7 year old princess.  Your mother's legacy lives on in all your grandchildren. My parents died before my grandchildren were born.  I show my grandkids pictures and stories so they live on in their young minds.

Wonderful pictures.  I never tire of seeing pictures of Israel especially Tel-Aviv.  However, I don't recognize anything.  So much has changed in Tel Aviv.  What are we looking out on?

I had a Jewish friend from India who met her husband through a matchmaker.  Parents were very strict and she wasn't allowed to date men of her own choosing.  She also had a henna ceremony and the pictures she showed opened my eyes to another culture I was so unaware of. They moved to America shortly after they married.

When Jack and I were dating in NY, his mother in Israel wrote and asked him if I was "black" which I found out much later meant Sephardi.  This totally confused me since he had previously sent pictures of me. I was unaware of the different cultures between Ashkenazi (Eastern European) and Sephardi, which were very prevalent 50 years ago. 

Thank  you so much.

24 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

We are trying to buy a new SUV. Nothing we want is available😱!!!!!!!! and everythiing else is thousands over MSRP.

Better be looking at Royal Caribbean's ships for sale at that rate and put wheels on them!

This is a really bad time to buy a car. I bought 2 years ago and I'm really glad I did as I will be out of the car buying market for a few years.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

We were waiting to buy a new car until things improved but my DH car went in for an oil change on Wednesday and we found out he had a rotted out hole in his frame large enough to put your hand through.  😱  So, we ended up in the showroom of the dealership, looking at what they had and lucked out on a Ranger Pickup truck that had been brought in for someone who backed out on it because it wasn't black.  Red works for us.  We picked it up on Thursday.  We were replacing a crossover SUV but hated the new design, too tiny.  No midsize SUVs on the lot, with none expected in the near future.  I would have preferred another SUV but at least this has a supercab.  He is very happy to have a truck again.  Crazy that there were only a total of 19 new cars on the lot at the biggest dealership in the area.  Used cars were priced crazy! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

They are still prevalent.... Speaking of "black" -- 55 years ago, when we arrived in Israel, some of the girls I was with at HS invited me to their house after school,  the "new immigrant", to do our homework together.

Sometimes, the mothers were not enchanted with me... to say the least -- they told in Yiddish, assuming I will not understand, "what r u doing with this 'schwarze' " ?? [my complexion is quite dark, when in US people speak to me in Spanish without hesitation].

One time I couldn't resist replying in my very limited Yiddish that "this schwarze is from Bucharest...".😉

No wonder I didn't recognize the pictures.  I thought incorrectly that those were pictures of Tel Aviv.  I should have remembered where your married son lives!

Glad you were able to answer in Yiddish even limited,.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you for your lovely photos.

Paulines cousin lives in Adelaide and Australia was next on our list before covid19.

We lived in Adelaide for 4 years.  Lovely city.  Hope you & Pauline are able to visit her cousin in the future when things return to normal here.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

My wife has a former co worker friend who like her husband grew up Orthodox.The only difference is that she grew up in Brooklyn and he grew up in India.People frequently believe that he is Hispanic.

• Like 1

Now that the grandkids are back in school, and we find ourselves with some free time, we decided to hike a section of the North Country Trail today.   The NCT stretches from Lake Sakakawea in North Dakota, through Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, and ends at the Green Mountain National Forest in Vermont. 

We only did a little over 5 miles on the trail today, but we have hiked most of the route between the arrows from the NY border to part way into Ohio.  

A12A294F-7FB9-4B1A-A9BE-111956EBC523.thumb.jpeg.ebbffd79b83f2db3bb27658338c51337.jpeg

Parts of the trail are very rugged. We were not very far in before Susan took a tumble and aggravated a shoulder injury she has been going through PT for, for the past 8 months.  Trooper that she is, she shook it off, and we pushed on. 

We started out around the Alpha Falls, which isn’t much of a drop.  It is more like some rapids. 

9612270D-0CAF-4D9C-8032-299ADE6E12FD.thumb.jpeg.23595eededf76b4162c61ae1e81ea928.jpeg

There were some kayakers making their way downstream. 

B2A92191-4C62-4DCB-9A9A-089BA19609E7.thumb.jpeg.1c51512010b91ac8883de7b88d106837.jpeg

We found them going through another section.  

Photos to continue 

• Like 8