Did anyone actually benefit from their cruise getting canceled?

Saukkey1

I have done very well,  Princess cancelled two cruises and I went back in and booked 7 cruises without spending

additional money.  I opted for the credit but Princess did very well by me.

Greg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HappyCruiserettu said:

The other half of your FCC likely went to your traveling companion. FCC are divided among all passengers on the booking, regardless of who paid. (I know. Separate issue.)

Each of us are supposed to get 1074 FCC and have received 537 FCC.The cruise still shows as having been taken so I know they aren't done yet. 

1 minute ago, casavaha said:

I have done very well,  Princess cancelled two cruises and I went back in and booked 7 cruises without spending

additional money.  I opted for the credit but Princess did very well by me.

Greg

Except you haven’t gone anywhere yet and they still have your money.

2 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Except you haven’t gone anywhere yet and they still have your money.

You are right.  But I do  not see any problem with CCL.  My first cruise is in Dec. I am very optimistic that I will have

no problems.  The stock market and CCL are up today and will continue going up.  I have no worries about CCL.

Greg

• Like 2

On 5/13/2020 at 8:05 AM, Musky Ike said:

Not yet. It's  hypothetical benefit until we can sail again.

That's our situation. Took option 1 and got the FCC quite a few weeks back. When/if we can safely cruise and use that FCC, we'll have gained by the cancellation. If we never can cruise again safely, then we're out of luck. Not complaining, since I knew that was a possibility when we chose option 1.

• Like 1

Indirect benefit for me, but a big one.  Visited my doctor who gave me a prescription for high blood pressure.  Meds work great and all is under control now.  Do not have to worry about insurance coverage while cruising as well due to cancellations.

On 6/3/2020 at 9:10 AM, casavaha said:

You are right.  But I do  not see any problem with CCL.  I am very optimistic that I will have

no problems.  The stock market and CCL are up today and will continue going up.  I have no worries about CCL.

Just because the stock market is up means nothing.....nothing has changed and COVID-19 is till spreading in the US and we are experiencing on average a 1,000 deaths a day.  No treatment, no vaccine and probably no cruising for along time.

Edited by PrincessLuver

On 5/12/2020 at 11:19 PM, Saukkey1 said:

I had purchased several thousands of dollars in gift cards.  For that reason, I had already applied them to my balance, but I hadn’t paid the Cruise total yet. If my TA is correct, I will get my $5600 as a FCC and double my deposit, so another $5600!   I already booked for next summer, and yes, the cruise fare is higher, but with my extra $5600 FCC, I’m happy.

Our cruise on March 22nd was canceled by Princess on March 12th.  I selected option 2.  I received a full refund this week for the cruise and got 100% FCC.  So we received about 3K in additional cruising dollars, not too bad.  We plan to book another cruise on Princess for next winter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

we had an October California and waited .  Then Canada closed ports last week and Princess canceled. I called 6/5 and moved the double FCC over to another cruise in February that I had already booked.   Wasn't sure if I could use the FCC on top of the one I used to book Feb. in the first place.  Seems to have gone through OK. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

Just because the stock market is up means nothing.....nothing has changed and COVID-19 is till spreading in the US and we are experiencing on average a 1,000 deaths a day.  No treatment, no vaccine and probably no cruising for along time.

The stock market recovery means there will still be disposable investment income enabling many of us to be able to cruise. Gotta pay for it somewhere and once there isn't a monthly paycheck, dividends / investment income is it.

As to Covid-19, we are still at 5 cases no deaths. Social distancing with masks works. It will be interesting to see what my April 2021 cruise looks like .... that's the 1st of my replacement cruises. But then I see the world as 'glass half full' not pessimisticly

3 hours ago, voljeep said:

hoping someone can post all the examples … thanks !

Here's the link. There's 35 slides total on Presentation #6 pdf (which is where I copied 1 from) and 7 presentations 

https://book.princess.com/BookingSystem/goToUrl.do?srcURL=marketing/pc/news/temp_policy_change/index.jsp

Edited by Ombud
Space
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Ombud said:

The stock market recovery means there will still be disposable investment income which is what fuels the many of us being able to cruise. As to Covid-19, we are still at 5 cases no deaths. Social distancing with masks works. It will be interesting to see what my April 2021 cruise looks like .... that's the 1st of my replacement cruises. But then I see the world as 'glass half full' not pessimisticly

Here's the link. There's 35 slides total on Presentation #6 pdf (which is where I copied 1 from) and 7 presentations 

https://book.princess.com/BookingSystem/goToUrl.do?srcURL=marketing/pc/news/temp_policy_change/index.jsp

I must be reading something wrong … unless it is better NOT to be paid in full, but be paid up to the full "FARE" amount .  to get double the amount paid … whereas paid in full only gets you a 25% bonus , or is that cruise fare + 100%  FCC + 25% bonus FCC ?

• Like 1

I received my Option 1 credit this week, so I have 225% in the Princess bank.  When cruising resumes and I find it relatively safe I will probably have two or more cruises for the price I paid for one.  So I made out well, unless cruising or Princess never sails again.  I think it will happen.  Otherwise, I wouldn't have opted for 1.

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, voljeep said:

I must be reading something wrong … unless it is better NOT to be paid in full, but be paid up to the full "FARE" amount .  to get double the amount paid … whereas paid in full only gets you a 25% bonus , or is that cruise fare + 100%  FCC + 25% bonus FCC ?

That's how I read it! Either cruise fare as FCC or refund. Not both20200606_104408.thumb.jpg.80c05eaf328a7f5a06d13d020a8e3f89.jpg

Edited by Ombud
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ombud said:

The stock market recovery means there will still be disposable investment income enabling many of us to be able to cruise.

I'm not sure that a 1-day 'recovery' means very much at all.

24 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

I'm not sure that a 1-day 'recovery' means very much at all.

It's not 1 day. I'm up 33.13% since mid April. Not exactly chump change. 

My CCL is up 40.1% and I've taken profits off the table. (It would be more if I didn't sell 1/3 but "Bears make $ / Bulls make $ / Pigs get slaughtered")

5 hours ago, Ombud said:

That's how I read it! Either cruise fare as FCC or refund. Not both20200606_104408.thumb.jpg.80c05eaf328a7f5a06d13d020a8e3f89.jpg

I read this as you did.  

If you are paid in full, you get your cruise fare* back in FCCs plus a 25% bonus FCC, both that have an expiration date and have limited usage.  Your cruise fare* doesn't include your prepaid purchases or taxes, insurance, etc, you should be able to use that for your deposit and such on your next sailing.  Since you are not asking for a refund, I would imagine they are keeping it in a holding account for you for the costs you can't use FCCs.  They've changed it so many times that I can't keep up.   I've had a canceled sailing in each one of the phases so far, so not really sure of the stipulations in each.  But, if I'm reading this right, this incurs too much risk because of the expiration of the FCCs ... for others, it might be worth it but, for me, it isn't I have gift cards and other FCCs as well as FCDs and hundreds more in additional funds put towards future cruises that I need to use up first.  

13 hours ago, voljeep said:

Before final payment, most people have only paid the deposit which in many cases is a $100 FCD and in some cases (when there has been a special promotion) only $1. Minimum bonus FCC amount is $100.

The example given above where someone had put $4000 down towards a cruise with a $5000 base fare is the exception as most people do not pay that much before final payment. But anyone that did does benefit from the cancellation by Princess.

Anyone that has a cruise still on the books for 2020 that has a high chance of being cancelled by Princess before final payment date might want to put additional money down. If the cruise does go, then final payment will be less. If the cruise is canceled before final payment by Princess and the same FCC offer is made, then doubling your money (in the form of FCCs) in a few months is a great deal.

• Like 1

I cancelled my 03/15/2020 cruise on 03/06/20 and chose option #2 on 03/12/20.

On 06/06/20 I got 100% of what I paid in total (including vac. ins. etc.) back on my credit card.  Exactly 90 days!

So right now, I am sitting at no out of pocket for my cancelled cruise at the last moment!!!!!!

But now I also have that FCC sitting in my account for $8,630!!!!  And since I have 4 cruises booked for 2021-2022, to me that IS real money to be used as I believe we will be cruising in 2021 and on.  So I would say yes, I am nicely ahead of the game!!!

Pooh

• Like 2

On 6/7/2020 at 12:06 AM, caribill said:

Anyone that has a cruise still on the books for 2020 that has a high chance of being cancelled by Princess before final payment date might want to put additional money down. If the cruise does go, then final payment will be less. If the cruise is canceled before final payment by Princess and the same FCC offer is made, then doubling your money (in the form of FCCs) in a few months is a great deal.

That's what we just did. I had $2500 + $125 bonus gift cards I had purchased during one of the bonus specials. I had my TA put them toward a cruise with a significant outstanding balance. It goes to Australia this year, so it will be cancelled. For no additional money out-of-pocket now (as I've already paid for my gift cards) I'll get a $5250 credit for the $2500 I spent on the cards. 

I paid for most of the cruise I should be on with my adult kids right now mostly with gift cards and bonus gift cards, $1800 of which were actually retirement and Christmas gifts to us. We will get 125% FCC for all of those. 

• Like 1

Yes.

I went from an inexpensive 2 week Hawaiian cruise to a 2 week Alaskan cruise which was much more expensive. Plus, I get to go in July. I have never cruised in the summer as it's too expensive. I'm excited to celebrate my 60th birthday on this wonderful cruise without it costing me any more than I already paid for Hawaii.

YAY Me!

• Like 1

On 6/7/2020 at 3:06 AM, caribill said:

IF  that offer is still applicable, then it is a good deal.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2020 at 7:38 PM, land lover said:

How can anyone benefit from a cancelled cruise...?  You lost out on experiences which are priceless, at least that is what master card  tells us...🤪Anyway...IMHO no amount of money can replace opportunity lost...Never could understand why people would accept move overs for a future cruise. I have accepted a downgrade, but having to replace an existing cruise with a possible free future cruise....not appealing to me as one never knows what the future holds.....

I totally agree.  What bothers me are the trolls out there that just try to game the system for a couple of bucks. 

Still trying to figure out what "cornteen" means. Is that worse than quarantine?  Hope I never have to do it.

3 hours ago, Grego said:

Never could understand why people would accept move overs for a future cruise.

3 hours ago, Grego said:

What bothers me are the trolls out there that just try to game the system for a couple of bucks. 

Our moveover - we're very fortunate and flexible - others, not so much

moved from 5 day western on Crown to 7 day eastern on Regal . got MO offer on a Monday before to leave on Sunday, then actually left the next Sunday for the 7 day … NO additional OOP costs for moving the 5 to 7, and had almost $ 1,000 refundable OBC - yeah , that sucked, huh ?

" game the system " ? - well, I do think of it as a game I play with the house rules , not mine

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1