Cruise ships with over 500 passengers to be banned from Canadian ports until Oct 31, 2020

I guess this will effectively ban cruising to Canada until a vaccine is available. I can't blame them. Could an executive order allow cruising to nowhere? I love sea days anyway. Everyone's comfort level is individual but personally I anticipate feeling safer on a cruise ship than in a theater or packed subway train. My employer requiring a 2 week post-cruise quarantine is the big problem though. I really hope for a vaccine by this time next year.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jasukkie said:

I guess this will effectively ban cruising to Canada until a vaccine is available. I can't blame them. Could an executive order allow cruising to nowhere? I love sea days anyway. Everyone's comfort level is individual but personally I anticipate feeling safer on a cruise ship than in a theater or packed subway train. My employer requiring a 2 week post-cruise quarantine is the big problem though. I really hope for a vaccine by this time next year.

Great reports so far on development of Vaccine, but possible will never be one or an effective one. If so hope CV burns itself out like other similar outbreaks have last 2 Decades or even 1918 Flu. Either way see at least limited Cruises resuming, even without Vaccine... Cruise to nowhere might be worse as the thousands are more confined in same area

got an email fro Royal, my cruise was August 3 empress of the sea to New England/canada

Royal Caribbean

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

We hope you and your families are staying safe and healthy during this difficult time. Earlier today, the Canadian government advised they were extending their cruise ship restrictions until the end of October 2020. So, we’re sure that leaves you wondering what will happen with your upcoming sailing. We are too! But not to worry, we’re figuring it out.

We kindly ask for patience, as we diligently work on next steps. We know that you probably have a lot of questions, which we’d love to answer – but since this is hot off the press, we just don’t have those answers yet. And, regrettably hold times on our phones are quite long. So to avoid any frustration, we kindly ask for your patience and understanding.

We commit to sharing a full update with you on Tuesday, June 2nd, 2020.

As the world begins to cautiously go back to what it was, we respect each port’s decision to evaluate travel restrictions. We remain optimistic that this soon will pass. In the meantime, stay well and we’ll be in touch very soon!

Sincerely,

Image did not load.

Royal Caribbean

35 minutes ago, clochette said:

got an email fro Royal, my cruise was August 3 empress of the sea to New England/canada

Royal Caribbean

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

We hope you and your families are staying safe and healthy during this difficult time. Earlier today, the Canadian government advised they were extending their cruise ship restrictions until the end of October 2020. So, we’re sure that leaves you wondering what will happen with your upcoming sailing. We are too! But not to worry, we’re figuring it out.

We kindly ask for patience, as we diligently work on next steps. We know that you probably have a lot of questions, which we’d love to answer – but since this is hot off the press, we just don’t have those answers yet. And, regrettably hold times on our phones are quite long. So to avoid any frustration, we kindly ask for your patience and understanding.

We commit to sharing a full update with you on Tuesday, June 2nd, 2020.

As the world begins to cautiously go back to what it was, we respect each port’s decision to evaluate travel restrictions. We remain optimistic that this soon will pass. In the meantime, stay well and we’ll be in touch very soon!

Sincerely,

Image did not load.

Royal Caribbean

September 4 Vancouver to Tokyo final payment due June 5, hope the June 2 email cancels said cruise.

• Like 2

Princess got at least one thing right,IMO. They cancelled their Alaska season a number of weeks ago.

As for Bermuda, they had all tourists leave by March 19. They also closed the ports and would not allow anyone not aBermuda citizen to enter the country. The  numbers of Covid-19 in Bermuda were kept  very low because of their actions.

As pink845 has posted in this forum,Canadian PM Trudeau realizes the closing of 

the Canadian ports to cruise ships until Oct.31 has been done to protect the health of those living in the port communities over the economic concerns affecting these communities. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mugtech said:

September 4 Vancouver to Tokyo final payment due June 5, hope the June 2 email cancels said cruise.

I'm booked on the Sept 20th Tokyo-Singapore, I too hope they cancel that one as well, before final payment is due.  

• Like 2

We also received the RCI email and are expecting more info on June 2nd.  Our September Canadian Adventure cruise on the Empress has gone the way of our March, May, June and July cruises.  At this rate by the next time we cruise, we will be debt free! (I wish).

We were looking forward to our first cruise on the Empress and visiting a bunch of canadian ports new to us.  Maybe next year...

9 hours ago, Akina13 said:

Just checked to see if they are still offering the Sept 4th Ovation out of Seattle and nope! it's gone from the website now. I did a L&S on Monday and moved ours until Sept 2021

The first active listed Ovation cruise on Cruising Power is the TP from Honolulu to Sydney on September 27th.  The prices are very high and there is a lot of inventory available.  Australian borders are still closed including cruise ships and nearly all flights so even the TP may be in jeopardy.

6 hours ago, OHCruisinDad said:

The first active listed Ovation cruise on Cruising Power is the TP from Honolulu to Sydney on September 27th.  The prices are very high and there is a lot of inventory available.  Australian borders are still closed including cruise ships and nearly all flights so even the TP may be in jeopardy.

Ovation is still in Asia and very likely will not be brought to Hawaii for the transpacific, even if ports will open up. A small chance still maybe remains for Serenade, but then only for the Honolulu to Sydney cruise as the ship is in the Caribbean and will need to brough to Australia eventually, again if cruising will be allowed from Australia by then.

2 hours ago, LXA350 said:

A small chance still maybe remains for Serenade, 

I'll give this a zero chance... no way RCL bring her through the Panama Canal at a cost of $300,000 and sail her all the way to Honolulu from Barbados empty and just for fun

25 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

I'll give this a zero chance... no way RCL bring her through the Panama Canal at a cost of $300,000 and sail her all the way to Honolulu from Barbados empty and just for fun

I totally agree with this, especially since it's still not definitely determined when Australia will allow cruise ships to return.  Their current ban through September 17th could be extended. We are booked on the September 6th Serenade Vancouver to Honolulu sailing. I'm expecting it to be cancelled when the update from Royal occurs on Tuesday. 

Radiance sailing from Vancouver-Tokyo and Tokyo-Singapore still show for sale on the RCI website while other cruises involving Canada ports/embarkation are gone. What will June 2 announcement mean for Radiance? An itinerary change? or cancellation? I'm hoping for cancellation. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Radiance sailing from Vancouver-Tokyo and Tokyo-Singapore still show for sale on the RCI website while other cruises involving Canada ports/embarkation are gone. What will June 2 announcement mean for Radiance? An itinerary change? or cancellation? I'm hoping for cancellation. 

Agree.  One way or another we cancel, even though we have NRD.

Not willing to change embarkation port.  Not willing to jump through the hoops that the ports in Japan will require for health screenings and the like.

And most of all, not willing to run the risk of ports being cancelled during the cruise.  Been there, done that in March and not gonna play that game again.

Two questions — has Royal been refunding NRD for cruises they cancel (or Canada cancelled 😕)?  Also, my Pinnacle cruise freebie was scheduled for late August to Canada.  Any guesses as to if I can get the Pinnacle cruise certificate reissued?  I am waiting until I hear info from Royal before I call.  Thanks for any thoughts.  Katherine