When do you realistically expect to cruise again?

kangforpres

We were on 3 HAL cruises, Sept (Canada/NE), November (TA) and December (Xmas family Caribbean).

About the 4th day in on our transatlantic cruise, I was feeling “off”.... nothing in particular of note.  Once home, still felt “crappy”, but developed conjunctivitis, BOTH eyes - Dr said I had a bad virus, and was given some eye gel to administer to bottom lids of eyes.

Probably had a relative of Covid-19 virus - took about 5 weeks total to get back to normal and  was fine for our Xmas cruise.  Hubby never came down with anything,

Was in Thailand when the beginning of Covid-19 began, by the time we flew home (Feb 05) there was already one case in Bangkok.   When we arrived home, we self quarantined for 14 days, just in case - but we were not given any instructions or warnings to do so.  

Carol

Edited by CJcruzer

19 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I want that antibody test and I don't care if my insurance covers it or not.  

You can order the anti-body tests online, they are about $120, make sure you use a lab with one the more reliable tests.

Or you can go donate blood to the Red Cross and they do the anti-body test before you can donate.

19 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I am going to try to convince my PCP to order an antibody test for me in this Summer's annual physical.  I sailed on MSC Meraviglia that subsequently reported a Covid case.  Was it before, during, or after my sailing?  Never have I gotten the date for that.  Before returning home after the following cruise on the Eurodam, I became ill.  Nothing serious:  "cruise type of not feeling well".  Arriving home on January 31st, I was ill.  I stayed ill for 5 weeks.  I think I contracted Covid somewhere along the line if not on Meraviglia.  

I want that antibody test and I don't care if my insurance covers it or not.  

I did the Quest one.  Signed up for it online, went to their local lab for the blood draw, and just went ahead and paid for it -- somewhere around a hundred dollars.   We had been on several cruises and had a number of "flus" this past winter, even though we'd had a flu shot.  It was a very "sick" winter in our household.  My test came back negative for antibodies and I was disappointed.  I guess we all hope that we've successfully run the gauntlet already.  It seems there were just a lot of different bugs going around this past winter.

I know the tests aren't 100% accurate, but close enough that I believe the result and it gave me some sense of where I'm at with covid.  For me, it was money well-spent.

• Like 2

June, 2021. We have a transatlantic scheduled.  I think that things will be back to normal by then. I saw a column in the WSJ asking if flight crews were experiencing many Covid-19 cases and they weren't.  I would guess airliner staff do have good immune systems because of constant exposure in closed air environments.  Maybe the first cruisers back will be the same way. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JeffElizabeth said:

June, 2021. We have a transatlantic scheduled.  I think that things will be back to normal by then. I saw a column in the WSJ asking if flight crews were experiencing many Covid-19 cases and they weren't.  I would guess airliner staff do have good immune systems because of constant exposure in closed air environments.  Maybe the first cruisers back will be the same way. 

Thank you for your informative post!  You've given me hope that I can fly to Fort Lauderdale for the Grand Africa Voyage on the Zaandam sailing on October 10.

• Like 1

Today, our best guess would be 2022.  We expect to do independent land tours prior to that, possibly spring 2021, perhaps fall 2021.  

Too early to tell the moment.   Cruising is the furthest thing from our minds at the moment.   No desire to jump on a floating petri dish.

44 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

I just moved back my Jan 2021 cruise by 9 weeks to end of March - just to give it more time to get resolved.  Hope this works, as it was a mess getting it handled.

@DaveOKC, sorry to hear that, but as each day goes by I see  my January 2021 cruise becoming less likely.

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

I just moved back my Jan 2021 cruise by 9 weeks to end of March - just to give it more time to get resolved.  Hope this works, as it was a mess getting it handled.

We shifted our January 2021 B2B2B to January 2022.  I'm thinking those sailings may happen.  Though I'm not sure if we'll be interested in going.  We're not sailing as long as they require masks and there are restrictions/limitations on venues, activities, dining etc.  Whenever they do start sailing, for a while it's only going to be for the desperate diehards who are willing to put up with anything just to get on a ship.

Edited by bouhunter

2 hours ago, iancal said:

We are not buying any cruises until cruising resumes.  No confidence whatsoever in the start up dates or whether we will want to wait after that. 

I don't see how anyone can have any confidence as they post new startup dates, sell the cruises, and then cancel and start the cycle again with new startup dates that are not going to happen.

21 hours ago, iancal said:

We are not buying any cruises until cruising resumes.  No confidence whatsoever in the start up dates or whether we will want to wait after that. 

Same here.  We have credits with NCL, and took the FCC for our cancelled August Koningsdam cruise.  Got the FCC email for that earlier this week with the condition that you have 1 year to book and must cruise by end of December 2022. If they don't start up again to Spring 2021 (our guess), that doesn't leave a lot of time to actually book something.  We are starting to wonder if the dates on the FCC will get extended as this drags on. 

Just read a couple of articles about the virus probably becoming endemic which means that it will never go away even with a vaccine, could be with us for a long time like Smallpox. 

So if they don't come up with a vaccine get use to living like we have since March which means cruising will be history as will many other parts of our lives. 

Edited by MISTER 67

I don’t see a cruise for us until late 2022, hoping for a vaccine, a reduction in cases worldwide, lifting of travel restrictions and no masks required on board.

Looking back at that statement😟😟😬!

We are still holding 3 FCD  with HAL and Princess. We plan on waiting till late 2022 cruises are posted and then perhaps using our FCD. If nothing appeals we will cash them in.

5 hours ago, darwinsrule said:

Same here.  We have credits with NCL, and took the FCC for our cancelled August Koningsdam cruise.  Got the FCC email for that earlier this week with the condition that you have 1 year to book and must cruise by end of December 2022. If they don't start up again to Spring 2021 (our guess), that doesn't leave a lot of time to actually book something.  We are starting to wonder if the dates on the FCC will get extended as this drags on. 

In the cancellation form we just filled out there is a link to request a refund of the FCC.  Seriously thinking about giving that a try.  

I am thinking it will be actions like this that help pressure CDC to meet the industry half way.  

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23289-port-canaveral-urges-congressional-leaders-to-support-u-s-seaports.html

As cruising carefully restarts in Europe, once the US gets the virus under control (who knows when), I think you will see growing economic and political pressure to start it here in the US.  To be clear, I am not suggesting resumption before we have a MUCH lower rate of infection but the laundry list of potential protocols the CDC is hinting at will put the industry out of business (see recent request for comments topics in the federal register).  That will means lots of lost jobs here and internationally plus thousands of unhappy cruisers.

Edited by KirkNC
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

I am thinking it will be actions like this that help pressure CDC to meet the industry half way.  

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23289-port-canaveral-urges-congressional-leaders-to-support-u-s-seaports.html

Agree the ports might need or get some help eventually and that would be great.  But it would have nothing to do with cruising, rather supporting them for their vital commercial purposes.

Yes there are thousands of jobs reliant on the cruise industry, but the numbers are miniscule in the overall economy and not enough to get anyone's attention now or in the near future.  There are many larger issues to deal with before cruisers and the related jobs are of any importance to policy makers, or the general public.  For example, everyone is struggling with how or when to open schools.  Cruising is WAY down the list, and won't be back in the US for months and months.

Edited by bouhunter
  • Like 1

Back when this started, I hoped for the summer of 2020, then I hoped for the fall or winter of 2020, and now I’m hoping for the spring or summer of 2021. Hopes just keep on getting more dashed. 

I feel most sorry for those who believe they’ve taken their last cruise now. That’s so sad. 😢 

• Like 1

I saw a German cruise line doing a cruise to nowhere from Hamburg. Fingers crossed that they don't have issues. Also seeing some riverboat cruises starting.  I do feel too many people are putting their faith in a vaccine.  If it happens, I will be one of the first in line but HIV never got a vaccine.  It could take a very long time. 

• Like 1

It is not hard to do the minimum math.   They need at least three months to test.  Maybe another month to verify the test.  This assumes that the vaccine is effective, and works as advertised.  So, if they start testing Aug. 1, that takes us to Dec. 1

So now we have a vaccine that works, or works near enough.  Who gets it first?  Cruisers?  Or will it start first with health care workers, seniors, those considered at risk, etc.  SO add another two months from roll out and probably a second eval.  Maybe three months.  

That takes us to March 1 or thereabouts when the vaccine could be potentially available to everyone and his dog.  How long it takes the vaccine to reach my arm is another question.  Not to mention the other real question....how effective is it 60%, 70, 80...?    This does not even consider the possibility that a second or third vaccine may be found to be more effective, less risky...then the clock will start again.  We simply do not know.

Lots of questions, including the development and testing of effective treatments for those that do get the disease.  

SO...can we see ourselves cruising before Q421?  Who knows.  But probably more like 2022.

Just because they announce a vaccine today does not mean that we will get a jab next week, next month, or even this year.  People need to set realistic expectations for themselves.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

There are national experts who are now saying that there is a need for a complete national shut-down if this pandemic is going to be controlled.  In this day of a dis-United States of America, how can that be accomplished?

One of the reasons that the Roman Empire failed was because it became ungovernable.  I submit our Country is approaching--if we are not already there--at that point.  

Edited by rkacruiser
  • Like 1