The Daily for Friday Aug 21, 2020

richwmn

23 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, and thank you, Rich for the daily news and Roy for the lists of the people we are thinking of.  We had discussed Dr. Fauci's hoarseness at home - my DH has something similar and was told they could inject his vocal cords with botox, if he wanted, but of course, that doesn't last forever.  I wonder what Dr. F. had done, I hope nothing bad.

Seniors Day is every day here.

48bebd.jpg.605b930daaa32383a292ce6ee22ce8b8.jpg

I know I posted a picture of my son's yellow peony this spring - he had given us some seedlings from the plant, which did not do well through the summer, so yesterday he brought me some of its seed pods.  They are amazingly beautiful.  I don't remember ever seeing them on my plant when I had one, I must have been much too diligent at deadheading!

image.jpeg.9dc18a3523e217a7e2a78f976661f096.jpeg

IMG_5172.thumb.jpeg.317ce487d191a65ff579c7a52b71ad23.jpeg

What a pretty peony, Ann 😄 

Those sea pods are really interesting too.  I deadhead like you so who knows if I could have anything like that.

• Like 1

Good afternoon to everyone! Thanks, Rich! Oooh! A day for me! (and I'm not spumoni). Love the quote. Do you think someday these days will be looked at fondly? Meal sounds delicious.

Roy, thanks for the Care and Celebrations list. Wouldn't it be lovely if there were only celebrations! Prayers and cheers to those on the lists.

It's supposed to be a good day today and tomorrow with the heat and humidity returning. Looking forward to a day with the 4-year old tomorrow. I'll need my sleep tonight!

Blessings to everyone! Be well. Stay safe. Be kind.

• Like 5

Good morning.  Love that I cam visit here early!  It is my “day off” from my Red Cross work on our 4 major fires.  Talked to firefighters this morning on the way into the grocery store.  Love those guys.  Thanks for continued for firefighters and all affected in all states that have fires now.  Praying for all intentions on care list.

Happy days to all celebrating.   Will check in later to enjoy all the photos that I hope will be posted today.  Have a great day.

• Like 6

Good afternoon.  Wow, late today.  Love the quote, happy to be in the here and now.  Made it to senior citizen status many years ago and just happy to wake up each day.

Dinner will be ham with pineapples in the crock pot and mashed potato's.  Our favorite wine is Moscato D'Asti D.O.C.G. Plumeria.  Discovered it on a HAL ship and now buy it by the case.  Less than $10 which is great for our wallets.  When we lived up north we bought Ice wine.

Thank you Rich for the maps and Roy for the lists.  Prayers for everyone.  Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

Wow! I do not believe I have ever seen seed pods like that before!

I don't think I have, either.   They are small black balls nestled in bright pink fluff!  I have to wonder why Mother Nature did that?  Maybe to attract a bird or something to carry them away?  Otherwise they will drop to the ground right beside the plant and sprout too close?

• Like 4

Thank you Rich! Hello everyone?  Luckily we had BBQ sockeye for dinner last night, and leftovers tonight.  Just no to Spumoni, the candied fruit doesn’t belong in ice cream!  

Just deadheaded the peonies, maybe I should’ve waited! 

image.thumb.jpeg.b2be8968fc79eba9603df42c2c229e48.jpegAnother travel memory from August a few years ago.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Thank you Rich! Hello everyone?  Luckily we had BBQ sockeye for dinner last night, and leftovers tonight.  Just no to Spumoni, the candied fruit doesn’t belong in ice cream!  

Just deadheaded the peonies, maybe I should’ve waited! 

image.thumb.jpeg.b2be8968fc79eba9603df42c2c229e48.jpegAnother travel memory from August a few years ago.

I was there in 2014! 

1263873_4966251931111_9054281636047134923_o.jpg

• Like 8

I am definitely a senior citizen but I'll pass on the spumoni. Rosemary Salmon sounds delish, however I am out of Rosemary.  Having the veggie pizza as suggested yesterday with Barefoot Chardonney which suits my price point.

A few days ago I complained about the heat and the lack of rain. The very next day and every day since we have had a haboob (severe dust storm) followed by monsoon rain (very intense rain that only lasts a few minutes).  We surely need a slow ground penetrating rain.  At least the heat has cooled off from 115 then down to 106 today.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

I am definitely a senior citizen but I'll pass on the spumoni. Rosemary Salmon sounds delish, however I am out of Rosemary.  Having the veggie pizza as suggested yesterday with Barefoot Chardonney which suits my price point.

A few days ago I complained about the heat and the lack of rain. The very next day and every day since we have had a haboob (severe dust storm) followed by monsoon rain (very intense rain that only lasts a few minutes).  We surely need a slow ground penetrating rain.  At least the heat has cooled off from 115 then down to 106 today.

Not sure if like or ha-ha is the appropriate reaction.  Sure it's an improvement but still 106 OUCH!

Roy

• Like 3

11 hours ago, richwmn said:

today is National Spumoni Day and Senior Citizens Day 

The first time I had Spumoni I was in Italy outside the coliseum in the mid 70's. I was at a standup counter outdoors of a restaurant and the menu had one for $1.75 and one $3.50. I pointed at the $1.75 item and the waiter brought it out.

I decided to sit at an empty table and ate my Spumoni which I really enjoyed.

The waiter brought my bill when I was done and it was for $3.50. I said no I ordered the $1.75.

He took the menu and pointed at the two items. $1.75 was the standup price, $3.50 was the sit down price. The size was the same, the price varied depending on where you sat. I had a great time and love Spumoni!

A-

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Good evening, everyone.  I hope today was a good one for all of you.   I spent the afternoon at a socially distanced picnic with two long time friends.   It was so nice to be outdoors and enjoying each other's company.

Tonight's photos are more almost sunset and sunset over the Mediterranean from November 2013.

Malaga 4.jpg

Malaga 3.jpg

Malaga 2.jpg

Malaga 1.jpg

• Like 8

11 hours ago, ger_77 said:

I don't mind spumoni ice cream - I live with someone who hates it though, so if I buy some, it's just for me.  He claims the strawberry taints the chocolate and vanilla. 

I think that ice cream is called "Neopolitan"; spumoni has pistachio ice cream in place of the vanilla (I think). Spumoni traditionally has candied fruits (which I like), but also comes without them, depending on the manufacturer. My husband doesn't like the fruits, but he does like the fruitless spumoni carried by one of our local restaurants.😊

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

I know I posted a picture of my son's yellow peony this spring - he had given us some seedlings from the plant, which did not do well through the summer, so yesterday he brought me some of its seed pods.  They are amazingly beautiful.  I don't remember ever seeing them on my plant when I had one, I must have been much too diligent at deadheading!

image.jpeg.9dc18a3523e217a7e2a78f976661f096.jpeg

IMG_5172.thumb.jpeg.317ce487d191a65ff579c7a52b71ad23.jpeg

Beautiful tree paeony, two houses ago our neighbour had a pink one, she used to cover it in winter to protect from heavy frost.

Interesting to see the seed heads.

Hope you have success with growing the seeds.

• Like 2

Just now, erewhon said:

Beautiful tree paeony, two houses ago our neighbour had a pink one, she used to cover it in winter to protect from heavy frost.

Interesting to see the seed heads.

Hope you have success with growing the seeds.

Thank you.  I am going to see what I can do.  I have put the seeds in a plastic bag, on damp paper towels, and I'll see if I can persuade them to start a root!   If they do, then they go i the fridge for 3 months...

• Like 1

Thank you for the Daily Rich.  Thank you for the Care List Roy.

Hate Spumoni, love gelato though, just not mixed together.  I'm a Senior but don't really know how that happened, I was only 20 a few years ago.  We had salmon recently so not having that but we are having leftover BBQ ribs tonight.  It's hard cooking for two, always have leftovers.

I'm very late today, had a busy day with the DGD at school and took shopping to my DM, some more shopping, and then swimming with the DGD.

Have a great evening everyone!

• Like 3

On 8/21/2020 at 8:29 AM, Seasick Sailor said:

I wi

ll bet you everyone on Rich's post have taken this exact picture! I have several from last Sept.

At least it isn't raining in that photo  as it has rained for so many of  our visits  to that fiddle

🙂

• Like 1