US cruising in early January (speculation)

bigrednole

I would classify cruising a recreational activity and in that case it should not require anything buy your money for a spot on a ship.  If you are not willing to take a chance, then stay home.  If you are sick the cruise line has the right to not let you board but to require you show you received some kind of vaccine is not right.  IMHO  But then I appear to be in the minority with my opinions on this whole Covid nightmare.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, lovescats5 said:

I would classify cruising a recreational activity and in that case it should not require anything buy your money for a spot on a ship.  If you are not willing to take a chance, then stay home.  If you are sick the cruise line has the right to not let you board but to require you show you received some kind of vaccine is not right.  IMHO  But then I appear to be in the minority with my opinions on this whole Covid nightmare.

It might depend on how they wish to market it.

If they can establish that all crew and passengers are vaccinated, that may aleve the concerns of people who are undecided.

As far as the legality of that, I have no idea

4 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I would suggest you ignore this

Both Oxford and Cambridge University are running final tests at this moment in time with major pharma companies

They will share with the US, as the US will share with the UK

• Like 1

5 hours ago, firefly333 said:

The vaccine coming out first takes 2 doses. Would have to get it super early for 2nd dose to take hold before February or March. I think I heard takes 3 or 4 weeks for vaccine to be effective. 

Yes, I keep hearing/reading on news that you got first does then 4 to 6 weeks later you get 2nd dose then it takes approx. 2 to 4 weeks to be effective.    all in that would be 10 weeks plus I personally would want a test to tell me if the vaccine worked before I jump for joy.   

9 hours ago, bigrednole said:

With the CDC announcement that millions of vaccines will be ready at the end of October or early November, it only means that the government will have to open up the country. They cannot be two-faced about the vaccine. They can't say the emergency workers, people in nursing homes, and other high risk people are required to take it then not open the country once enough doses are available for the general population. At $50-$60 a pop for a vaccine the pharmaceutical didn't pay a penny for, they surely can ramp up production at all manufacturing plants in the matter of weeks to have 500M doses ready in a month. The CDC will be pushed to open ports with the requirement to sail is having the vaccine. It will be as simple as that. Without the vaccine, you won't be able to board a ship or leave the country. 

Doing the simple math:

$1.5B in taxpayer money to develop (no cost to the pharma)

500M doses @ $60 each ($30B in revenue)

Even if they paid $10B to the manufacturers to get 500M doses, the pharma still makes $20B profit.

Wishful thinking

7 hours ago, compman9 said:

I love the way so many Americans talk as if their country is the only one on earth

If there is a vaccine, it will be shared internationally, and big pharma will not have the power some may presume

That is of course, if the first vaccine is produced in the US - Oxford University are allegedly currently competing with a German pharmaceutical company to win the race to the first vaccine

I grew up with that attitude so I'm not shocked or offended by your statement. However, I find that same attitude odd on a travel website. Also the idea that the US government will force us to get the vaccine is laughable. Six months into the pandemica and there are still people who think it's a hoax and won't wear a face mask. Also when did everything close down? Only nonessential business closed down with cruising being the last of the nonessential businesses that will open in the US.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, bigrednole said:

Already started. I know several personally in my area whose last day is Oct. 1. Regardless of any deals the US give to help them. Until businesses and people vacation more, the airline industry is going to be very low. Not as low as just after 9/11, but it is taking a very big hit.

I think the 14 day quarantine has more to do with flights being down than the fear of flying. You can't win. Either you are flying to an area that wants you to quarantine on arrival or you have to quarantine when you get home. My son returned from a 2 week trip to St Thomas. It was added to the 14 day quarantine for NY two days before he left. He returned home last Friday. Since then he has had 2 phone calls from NY state and everyday he gets a text where he has to respond by answering questions about symptoms.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bigrednole said:

Already started. I know several personally in my area whose last day is Oct. 1. Regardless of any deals the US give to help them. Until businesses and people vacation more, the airline industry is going to be very low. Not as low as just after 9/11, but it is taking a very big hit.

Airline industry has been hit much harder than 9/11.   

• Like 3

8 hours ago, mek said:

If it goes through phase 3 clinical trials then it has gone through all of the steps other vaccines have gone through, just in a shorter amount of time.

Personally I will take a vaccine now and worry about any long term side effects down the road - many believe there are long term side effect to covid, so which is worse - not taking a vaccine and continue living the way we are now or getting back to normal, saving lives and businesses?

Absolutely your prerogative. 

I don't know if this was mentioned but Carnival announced that Costa is going to start cruising this weekend from Italy.  One more line cruising without a vaccine.  Lets hope things go smoothly or they can handle whatever comes their way.

9 hours ago, bigrednole said:

The airlines are in MUCH worse shape now than the immediate post 9/11 timeframe. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, torpeedo said:

I don't know if this was mentioned but Carnival announced that Costa is going to start cruising this weekend from Italy.  One more line cruising without a vaccine.  Lets hope things go smoothly or they can handle whatever comes their way.

Big difference between Italy with 2.1/100,000 cases and 1,282 per day and the US with 12/100,00 cases and 40,531 per day.

I think we all hope any cruises go well that start up now.

Having been in the medical field for 40 years and seeing both the Lyme vaccine and earlier Rota virus vaccine pulled off the market for deleterious side effects even after phase 3 trials were concluded, I'll wait for a while before getting a vaccine for Covid 19. Yes, I'm going stir crazy and have cancelled or changed 14 weeks of vacation through the end of 2020, and I miss seeing my grandchildren with a deep heartache, but I'm not willing to be a guinea pig, I'll let others do the experimentation for me. 

• Like 6

13 hours ago, mek said:

Logic and common sense - very scientific.  

One persons logic and common sense is another insanity.  When one really does use the scientific method and test your hypothesis and gather data to make a conclusion then maybe we get real decision based on facts and not politicized desire. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MommaBear55 said:

Having been in the medical field for 40 years and seeing both the Lyme vaccine and earlier Rota virus vaccine pulled off the market for deleterious side effects even after phase 3 trials were concluded, I'll wait for a while before getting a vaccine for Covid 19. Yes, I'm going stir crazy and have cancelled or changed 14 weeks of vacation through the end of 2020, and I miss seeing my grandchildren with a deep heartache, but I'm not willing to be a guinea pig, I'll let others do the experimentation for me. 

Ah someone who knows the history and the reality of what is likely the outcome.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I think the 14 day quarantine has more to do with flights being down than the fear of flying. You can't win. Either you are flying to an area that wants you to quarantine on arrival or you have to quarantine when you get home. My son returned from a 2 week trip to St Thomas. It was added to the 14 day quarantine for NY two days before he left. He returned home last Friday. Since then he has had 2 phone calls from NY state and everyday he gets a text where he has to respond by answering questions about symptoms.

The business travel living on corporate expense is NOT coming back.  As the last 6 months have shown business have survivied with essentially no travel.    CFO are looking at that as well as how WFH is doing so well and the whole big city as well as face time travel will never be the same.

Airlines and hotels will need to adjust to a new norm.  Sure some travel will come back.   

I traveled weekly and was spending more than 1.5K / week, been home for 150 + days and at 95% efficiency.  Don't ever see myself working and traveling like I used to.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chipmaster said:

The business travel living on corporate expense is NOT coming back.  As the last 6 months have shown business have survivied with essentially no travel.    CFO are looking at that as well as how WFH is doing so well and the whole big city as well as face time travel will never be the same.

Airlines and hotels will need to adjust to a new norm.  Sure some travel will come back.   

I traveled weekly and was spending more than 1.5K / week, been home for 150 + days and at 95% efficiency.  Don't ever see myself working and traveling like I used to.

This is very true. Just has I have been able to take part in medical conferences from the comfort of my den without having to shut down the office, fly to a destination, and pay for a hotel. I hope continuing medical education never going back to the old way of doing things. The expense is so unneeded and the intended result is the same.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

This is very true. Just has I have been able to take part in medical conferences from the comfort of my den without having to shut down the office, fly to a destination, and pay for a hotel. I hope continuing medical education never going back to the old way of doing things. The expense is so unneeded and the intended result is the same.

It is funny I'm on the paper review for a large technology conference.  The theme for the last few is all virtually and actually works better, more attendance, more spread of the information, more participation.   For our junior people they all can attend as their is no travel perk that used to only go to the senior folks, rather nice for all to get the same technical exposure now.

Of course as a reviewer I lose the perk to travel to some remote place ( often chosen for vacation perks ) to review and get a mini vacation, so a bit of a bummer for me personally 😉

• Like 1