Volunteers

geckoaz

I don't see how the simulated cruise will be free. Carnival is already losing a lot a money with empty ships with skeleton crews. They can't afford to have everything up running(as the CSO says)  and still be free to all the volunteers with the cruises operating a full staff. I think the volunteers will have to pay something and for me it is not going to be worth spending money if I one of the people who has been chosen to to the "simulated infected passenger" and gets locked in one of the isolation area they are required to have.

13 minutes ago, wo5m said:

I don't see how the simulated cruise will be free. Carnival is already losing a lot a money with empty ships with skeleton crews. They can't afford to have everything up running(as the CSO says)  and still be free to all the volunteers with the cruises operating a full staff. I think the volunteers will have to pay something and for me it is not going to be worth spending money if I one of the people who has been chosen to to the "simulated infected passenger" and gets locked in one of the isolation area they are required to have.

Wonder if they will ask for volunteers out of the ones that are still booked for December?

1 hour ago, Gameck said:

Wonder if they will ask for volunteers out of the ones that are still booked for December?

Norwegian and Royal Caribbean canceled all of their December sailings today and I would expect Carnival will follow shortly.

On 11/1/2020 at 12:18 PM, firefly333 said:

Says you need a signed medical release from a doctor saying no pre existing conditions, which excludes me. I'd say sure, but cdc says no.

I’m in the same boat. (No pun originally intended. 😜 ) I’m in great health as my disease progression is very slow but it’s there. 

On 11/2/2020 at 4:10 PM, wo5m said:

The cruise lines have no choice - run the simulated voyages, or don't sail.

So IMHO they will suck up whatever it takes to get volunteers.  Remember, all the lines have to do this, so there is a lot of volunteer positions that need to be filled, therefore there will be competition to get those people aboard.  Charging a fee would be very non-attractive, as you noted for yourself.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2020 at 1:10 PM, wo5m said:

I don't see how the simulated cruise will be free. .......  I think the volunteers will have to pay something .....

From a Cruise Critic article:  https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5704/

“The CDC doesn't outline its process, other than to say volunteers can't be compensated in any way or forced to participate as a condition of employment.

I agree with @SeaHunt in that these "simulated" voyages may never leave port.   That is one way to help reduce the costs for the cruise lines.

Edited by taznremmy
Added link

2 hours ago, OklaGirl32 said:

Absolutely!! Hubby and I went to Cancun the day after the resorts opened. I ain't skeerd. (Also, please save yourself the trouble of replying to me if you're going to scold me. Not gonna read it.)

Sounds fun!  My sister is at a resort in Mexico and having a great time.  My family went to a condo at the beach in Florida.  The only time we had to wear a mask was when we were picking up stuff at Walmart.  We ate out every night and enjoyed the beach every day, no masks.  We weren't concerned at all about covid and were so happy to have a nice vacation after six months of staying home.

Still, being a volunteer on the cruise ships would most certainly mean wearing masks the majority of the time.  I'm glad that many people don't mind and would volunteer.  Every success will make cruising possible for everyone.

• Like 2

I absolutely do not want to go.  First, I knew three people who have died from COVID-19.  Additionally, I know several who have survived but thought that the experience in the hospital was excruciating. They thought they were going to die when they were in the hospital.  Dying alone in the hospital is painful emotionally on top of all of the physical symptoms you are experiencing.  I do not want to put myself in added risk of being that sick.  One friend of mine still experiences issues even after recovering months from having corona virus.

Furthermore, I still have not done enough cruises that destinations do not matter to me.  I am an explorer and want to investigate the destinations.  Probably the only destinations these test voyages will visit are private islands. I am sure going to a completely manufactured experience can be very entertaining.  It is just less of what I'm after.

As others have touched on, I don't have an interest in setting foot on an airplane at this time.  Personally, I don't understand why cruising has to jump through all of these hoops and the airline industry does not.  More than likely I would need to go on an airplane to reach my departure point.  That whole process of airports and airlines would make me too anxious and agitated. 

I am perfectly fine wearing a mask since I wear one whenever I leave the house for months.  It's like second nature at this point.

I wish all those who are selected to go on test cruises much joy and safety.  It is because of these brave souls that I will be able to cruise eventually.  To them I say, "Thank you".

With the current surge in US COVID cases, I wouldn't chance any situation where there are crowds of people, even if most are taking precautions.  I realize we all have COVID fatigue, but that is only allowing this virulence to propagate to the record high in cases.

It's crazy to watch masked up folk who wear it incorrectly or who remove or lower the mask to speak.  Good intentions, bad execution.

• Like 1