Sailing on a chartered theme cruise while not being part of the charter group?

Just found out our 27 March 2022 Oasis cruise is hosting the “Legends of Pittsburgh Steelers” cruise.  My understanding is that they’re not chartering the entire ship, just reserving a huge block of cabins for about 1000 - 1200 people, so our reservation is probably safe. 

We’re considering rebooking.  My concern is the impact on our cruising experience.  I’m sure there will be special events for attendees that will likely restrict our access to certain venues at times and expect the whole 'vibe' of the cruise will be different.

Has anyone sailed on similar cruises and if so, how was your experience?

I would definitely consider rescheduling.  We were on a chartered cruise (by accident) once and definitely felt like an "outsider".  There will be areas designated only for those part of the charter.  I believe you would enjoy a non-chartered cruise better.

• Like 1

Have sailed on theme cruises like that before on the "large ladies".  The ship is so big, and the attendees pretty much have their own venues and areas.  You won't notice them much.  The Oasis class ships do a lot of those events. 

Though there was one rare time, I wish I would not have been on board, the group was very...very rude to other passengers and especially the crew.  I don't want to divulge the name of that group, as to avoid ruffling any feathers, but I don't think RCI lets them do the group event anymore anyway.  

A true "chartered cruise" would be what I would call the entire ship is chartered for the group....IMHO.  

We were on a ship with a Harley Davidson group.  They were very friendly folks and we had quite a few interesting conversations.  One thing I noticed, when they had events, the rest of the ship was less crowded.  That was a plus.

• Like 5

We were actually on a Goth cruise on the Anthem a few years ago, and it wasn't as bad as you would think. They kept together as a group and we had no issues. But it was quite funny seeing them in full make up at breakfast at eight in the morning😇.

• Like 1

We were on once with the "Grown and Sexy" cruise.  Other than a few private events, they were wonderful.  I'd cruise with them again, no problem.  I think you should take and enjoy your cruise.  After all, it's not like it's a cruise for Packer fans.  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I personally, would switch.  Having lead a charter, it will affect availability of venues that you may want to be around.  Of course if you are a Steelers fan it could be a good time.  You will get a much better price than the people attending for the charter most likely.  

1 minute ago, Cigar King said:

We were on once with the "Grown and Sexy" cruise.  Other than a few private events, they were wonderful.  I'd cruise with them again, no problem.  I think you should take and enjoy your cruise.  After all, it's not like it's a cruise for Packer fans.  😉

Good point!

We were on a Wrestling Federation partial charter. Besides some interesting people charter, we had fun. They didn’t really affect our enjoyment. BUT, having such a large group on the ship DOES alter the general atmosphere of the cruise. It’s not bad. Just different what I’m used to. 

I was on a “Polka” cruise on Liberty in 2019 and really didn’t notice much difference at all.  Their events were mostly held when the theater, etc. would normally be closed, so no disruption. Met some very nice polka people in the suite lounge. 
I guess it would really depend on the charter group. Devil worshippers or Nazies, I’d probably back out and cancel. 😉

We were on an oasis class ship (can’t remember which one), that was chartered by a giant group over super bowl weekend.  It wasn’t awful, and still a fun trip, but there were negatives... every night they booked up an entire venue (like Playmakers the night of the super bowl).  They also acted like they were the only ones onboard... cut in line, blocked large spaces, would have one person reserve an entire big section of seats at a show and by the pool, etc.

3 hours ago, WI-Cruiser said:

Just found out our 27 March 2022 Oasis cruise is hosting the “Legends of Pittsburgh Steelers” cruise.  My understanding is that they’re not chartering the entire ship, just reserving a huge block of cabins for about 1000 - 1200 people, so our reservation is probably safe. 

We’re considering rebooking.  My concern is the impact on our cruising experience.  I’m sure there will be special events for attendees that will likely restrict our access to certain venues at times and expect the whole 'vibe' of the cruise will be different.

Has anyone sailed on similar cruises and if so, how was your experience?

I've been on with some NFL cruises - hardly noticed!

44 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

I've been on with some NFL cruises - hardly noticed!

We were on a hockey all star cruise once , I don’t follow hockey at all , was playing poker and it turned out I was the only non hockey player there , didn’t realize they were hockey players until one was talking about being traded from Boston to Philly. Was also on a first responder cruise no issues at all other than some venues could be turned off. 

We have been on many cruises  that were partial charters, none of them was a negative experience. In fact , some were nice to be with. One group was part of a music themed charter with folks from the midwest. They were the friendliest group of people , especially when compared to other cruisers not part of the group. Plus, they were easy to spot, cowboy boots   and hats, blue jeans  with large belt buckles. I shared a table in WJ , and they wee fun to be with.

We did a cruise with 1000 people who won the cruise as part of meeting sales quotas. The only thing we noticed was they congregated in groups and sometimes it was hard to get through the promenade and they all wore matching turquoise shirts, which kind of ruined the color for me for a while. Otherwise, absolutely no problem.