The Daily for Friday Jul 16, 2021

richwmn

Good morning Dailyites.  Thanks Rich for being so ever faithful to our touch of happiness in the morning. 

Yesterday had my rock chip fixed on the windshield. The glass guy said he filled it the best he could but it was half dollar sized and sometimes they can run. Will see..

I love sauteed spinach, but raw.. not so much. I buy a huge bag of it just for the two of us, which really isn't much when its cooked. 

image.png.efdece752958605d322f930ce1f7fee3.png

I love snakes when they are 100 yards or further away from me. A hiker in our club stepped on a baby rattlesnake but it just slithered away and she was not struck. Lucky lady.

image.png.9b2bc296ea5c5572a42072cdfaa9c25d.png

Having a Mahjongg class this afternoon and then it's back to twice a week. Allen intently listens to the news or snoozes..

Have a great Friday and weekend. I'm concerned about the number of covid cases going up. Please be careful. I know some people are unable to have the vaccine but why aren't the people who can have it when it's readily available not taking it?? 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Good morning rom a humid central Texas.  Our due point is 74F.  Mowing the yard this morning will be "fun", but at least the wind will be 10+mph which will help

I like fresh sinach, but no cooked spinach for me unless it's wilted in a pasta dish,  Not fond of snakes, but do respect them.  We have western diamonbacks here and in Quartzite.  There is no rural transit in this rural area of central Texas.  However, there is the Camel Express in Quartzsite which will take people to the stores and PO in town.  One day a week, it will take riders to Parker or Blythe, and once or twice a month, it goes to Yuma and Algodones, Mexico.

The meal, wine and drink all sound good.  @St. Louis Sal I like your summation of the drink recipe.

The Mae West quote is great, and I'll try to remember it.

@smitty34877  Sorry Tana is having more problems, but grateful you and DD are stepping up with meals and that DSIL is looking after Tana's son.

@summer slope Good news that the antivirials are helping ease the pain.

We have been to A Coruna twice on BHBs.  In 2004, on the old Noordam, we stayed in town, took the bus to the lighthouse and then walked around town.  In 2011, on the Prinsendam, we took the tour to Sanitago de Compastela.

I'll begin with A Coruna.  The lighthouse which is still working and built on the foundation of the old Roman lighthouse.  The Tower of Hercules is the oldest extant lighthouse and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

IMG_3138.thumb.JPG.598c930ec81dd60bed3c8f8207980e3d.JPG

IMG_3140.thumb.JPG.6d8a33128187976e370c99435f190f39.JPG

We went up in the lighthouse, and DH went to the very top.  This is A Coruna from the top.

IMG_3145.thumb.JPG.15c911e7175044c17de39f166f312269.JPG

Various sites as we walked around the town

IMG_3161.thumb.JPG.807d89bed1b27306c80e15a4c4b03447.JPG

IMG_3158.thumb.JPG.d31a4ee8e3c527dd5a788abb98f1f542.JPG

IMG_3166.thumb.JPG.c0049958212d8d71148f4494f09c2f36.JPG

IMG_3167.thumb.JPG.d3d964bf231cfb45996601f8d2c99a3b.JPG

This picture is from 2011 after our tour when we were searching for an ATM

P1020163.thumb.JPG.6554bdaddb06c012ebafcbc3edf611ff.JPG

The view of the Tower of Hercules as we sailed to the next port.

IMG_3180.thumb.JPG.89d5a35bf968640147fea5b26e898664.JPG

These are a few of the pictures I took in Santiago de Compastela. The first is as we were walking from the bus to the square.

P1020128.thumb.JPG.ee516ac7c11cce6ba254969cdafac3ba.JPG

A monument to the pilgrims and one entrance to the church. plus the interior of the church.  We saw St. James tomb, but no picutures.  There was a long line to walk through the narrow passage and view the tomb.  Basically, we had to keep moving.

P1020132.thumb.JPG.ac024ced0ee48427f13ea5c713120bf6.JPG

P1020133.thumb.JPG.89c01e95247a3f92c301cc7adafdf365.JPG

P1020140.thumb.JPG.191d660faac8d253efa8fa7f41b20cd1.JPG

A different view of the square where the pilgrims gather

P1020136.thumb.JPG.a039584c9f127dfae90773da55948518.JPG

After touring the church, we went to a hotel for refreshments in the courtyard, where we were entertained by these gentlement,P1020158.thumb.JPG.29db0ff0815ca932e863c4c70fb8bb19.JPG

P1020159.thumb.JPG.c3c49671b89f7bd0083666d61ccba670.JPG

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Food looks great Graham and your weather has been great with those nice temps and sunshine.  Enjoy!  Wish some of us could join you in a little drive, a nice lunch and scenery.

Thank you Sandi.

The weather has been lovely.

We never tire of coming to the Lake District and looking at the Lakes and Fells.

Keswick, Grasmere, Ambleside Windermere and Bowness are the main tourist area's and are always busy but we love it here.

Graham.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, all! I like spinach, especially in salads or rice or pasta dishes. Snakes are appreciated, but only with applying an abundance of social distancing. Salt Spring has a very nice rural transit system. This is greatly appreciated where everything is too far apart for walking.

It is still early and quiet here. The day belongs to the birds and a distant woodpecker at this point. I’d like to sort through my botanical printing supplies and get started on that. Everything is so dry I’m not sure the leaves have enough juice to print. @summer slope it’s good to hear the medication is knocking down the pain from the shingles. Hopefully it will stay under control. @ger_77be careful of your lungs! DD is also telling us about the smoke there. DS near Vernon is in the same situation. We may be dry here, but thank goodness the air is clear!

Happy Friday! Enjoy the weekend, even though it can’t be spent on a BHB!

82F58773-B347-46BD-811F-B6007FDB8A52.thumb.jpeg.224ae43dc7c33938ad8fa208479c3922.jpeg

• Like 22

2 hours ago, summer slope said:

Shingles hurt slightly less after 20 hrs. on meds.

Your experience has caused me to take some action. I've been thinking about getting the new shingles vaccine for a while. (I had the old one about ten years ago). So this morning I went and got the first dose of the new one.

I hope the medication continues to improve your symptoms

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!  My goodness, that fish dinner looks delicious.  Fish never looks like that when I cook it.  A chef on TV did give a tip that is helpful, though.  He said not to ever turn it to brown it; just brown the one side, as the total cooking time isn't long enough to get a good crispy browning if you try to do both sides.  🐟

We've had an overabundance of rattlesnakes here in So Cal this year.  Lots of friends and neighbors are seeing them, and then the local "snake locater" said he's never received so many calls.  Not sure what's up with that, but not good.  We live on a canyon and are careful.  

Coruna looks like a pretty place.  The transatlantic cruise with many Spanish ports is a favorite. That will be the first thing I look for when Europe 2023 opens up with HAL.

Well, off to put up doggie gates.  We are dog-sitting DD's pomeranian for three days -- something we love to do.

Have a safe and pleasant day, All.  Thank you once again to all who contribute to this thread.  Prayers and hugs for those experiencing troubles; cheers for those having happier times. 😊🌻

Maxine

• Like 23

Good Morning,

I'm probably the only one here not bothered by snakes, although I would always keep my distance around poisonous or large constrictors.  I snake-sat years ago for a gal I worked with and I learned a lot about them.  It was a little baby python (smaller than the one pictured here) which are part of the constrictor family.  When I took it out of its cage, it wrapped itself around my arm (for warmth).  Besides staying warm, pythons also constrict around prey for food which is why I'd never get near a large one, because they do not differentiate between their owners and dinner.  I read someplace that it's impossible to tame a snake.  

ball-python-named-eve-e1572008715513.jpg.d81fa663d48a3ca4af9af03f0d99ac8e.jpg

As predicted, we're under a heavy marine layer today, it won't get out of the 60's, and there's a slight chance of a sprinkle this afternoon which would be great for the fire risk.  

Thoughts and prayers to all that need them.  Special thanks to all the listers.

I have some banking to do this morning, but I think I'm going to save the grocery store for the weekend, we're out of eggs but it can wait. 

Have a great day everybody!

• Like 19

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the TGIF and July Hump Day daily, Rich.  I'll salute Rural Transit and pass on the other 2 days.  I love the Mae West quote.  I have not been to A Coruna.  Since I don't eat seafood I'll pass on the cod.  My alternative is Classic Caesar Salad, and Ziti with Prosicutto and Lemon Olive Oil as served on MS Rotterdam (VI) on July 16, 2011.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery
Western wildfires
Hoping for a proper caregiver for Sam
Marmot@sea’s cousin 4km from wildfire
smitty34877's Miss Camilla in NICU
summer slope with shingles
HorizonChaser1957 cancelled Africa trip
Marmot@sea’s cousin close to wildfire
bennybear DSIL infection
JazzyV eye inflamation

From the rotation:
Tana starting to deal with Pulmonary Fibrosis
Kakalina undergoing radiation for aggressive cancer

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Nieuw Amsterdam in Seattle
Front Line Health Care Workers
Explorer OTS housing Surfside first responders
highland cruiser at Diamond Lake
St. Pete Cruiser on a road trip
CatShepard in Iceland
Garlictown’s cast off
successful surgery for wandb’s sister
StLouisSal’s friend with liver transplant
Promising caregiver for an improving Sam
Denise on her wilderness adventure
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thanks for both Lists.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, summer slope said:

Good morning. Do not care from fresh Spinach, love it cooked.  Shudder at the thoughts of snakes, and no rural transit here other than an Amtrack station in town.  Love Mae West and all her quotes.  Will pass on the meal, not fond of fish. Have not been to Spain, looking forward to the photo's.  Shingles hurt slightly less after 20 hrs. on meds.

Prayers and virtual hugs to our care list, and a big toast to our shout outs!!

Stay safe, social distance, and continue to wear your mask.  Things are getting bad again.

Red Russian:

A Red Russian is usually made up of equal parts vodka and either cherry liqueur or strawberry schnapps and served with ice. It can also be prepared with cranberry juice or tomato juice. Wikipedia

Ingredients as listed at CocktailDB: 1 part (1 oz, 3 cl) vodka; 1 part (1 oz, 3 cl) Cherry Heering

Primary alcohol by volume: Vodka

Standard drinkware: Rocks glass

Served: On the rocks; poured over ice

Preparation: Pour vodka, then Cherry Heering over ice

Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 7.25.13 AM.png

I might try it.  Shingles can be painful.  I got them in the eye ten years ago.  I had chicken pox when I was six years old.

• Like 6

Good morning all!

I like raw spinach, but not cooked so much.  Snakes really don't bother me -- unless, like anything, one startles me.  Love the Mae West quote and the meal sounds so yummy.  Haven't been to this port in Spain, and am enjoying the photos!

We're packed up, muffins and cookies are baked, and we're almost ready to pick up DGS and head to the beach for 3 days.  Hopefully I'll have some photos to share in the coming days.  

Have a great weekend everyone, stay safe. 🙂  

• Like 17

👍Thank you for The Daily, Rich @richwmnand to Roy @rafinmd for both the Care and Celebration Lists. I do hope @summer slopeis getting some relief from the meds. Awhile back my husband and I both had the super shingles vaccine as well as the super pneumonia vaccine. Kaiser Permanente is good about keeping you informed about what you need to keep healthy. 

We've been to a lot of ports in Spain but I can't recall La Coruña? I do remember Vigo one time and another time taking a ship's excursion to Santiago de Compostela...one of those that is transportation only and you meet back at a certain time~you explore on your own ( DIY). I'm looking forward to seeing more photos of today's port.

🙏Prayers to all in need and stay safe with hearing about the Delta Variant...😷best to keep wearing the masks even though we are both fully vaccinated. Thank you to all who contribute!😊

Katie

• Like 22

Good Morning All,

Another hot, cloudy day here. Plan to get out later on my bike. I really hate snakes, and this is weather they like. I call it “LST weather” (Long Skinny Things). It’s amazing how hard it can be to see them in the dirt sometimes. They don’t always stick up much, and I’ve had to slam on my brakes more than once. To complicate matters, we have a number of railroad ties that run across the trails to control erosion, and people tend to leave sticks on the trails. I’ve run over a couple small ones, as I didn’t see them hunkered down, until my tire was there.🥴 (I’ve really got to learn the bunny hop: my version MIGHT clear a credit card.)

@summer slope Hope the pain decreases quickly. Shingles are no fun. 

LA County is going back to mandating masks indoors. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/15/us/los-angeles-county-masks-delta-variant.html?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20210716&instance_id=35475&nl=the-morning&regi_id=125414182&segment_id=63616&te=1&user_id=2acea4a8cbcbfcf410071fa37c422884

Today’s wine report: 

I’ll be back with that shortly, due to technical difficulties.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

I’ve had a very busy two weeks, so haven’t been ready the Daily.  I seem to have missed quite a lot.  So happy to see that many of the Dailyites are doing “normal stuff” again.  So sad to read about the various problems that Dailyites are encountering.  Please know that all of you are included in my prayers.  

Thank you to everyone who posts on a daily basis!

Please Stay Safe!

• Like 22

So along with shortening the cruise ship ban in Canadian waters to November  2021 rather than February 2022 prime minister Trudeau is hinting that he might open the border to fully vaccinated visitors by the end of august. The cruise ship change won’t do anything for this season on the east and west coast but it may make a difference for Canadians looking for insurance on cruising elsewhere this winter. The border opening will depend on what happens with the delta variant and details on how it would actually work are still lacking. I do know a Covid testing site is being set up on the Canadian side of the ambassador bridge but again actual details of how things will work are still lacking. But certainly a light at the end of a long dark tunnel.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

I like raw spinach, but not cooked so much.  Snakes really don't bother me -- unless, like anything, one startles me.  Love the Mae West quote and the meal sounds so yummy.  Haven't been to this port in Spain, and am enjoying the photos!

We're packed up, muffins and cookies are baked, and we're almost ready to pick up DGS and head to the beach for 3 days.  Hopefully I'll have some photos to share in the coming days.  

Have a great weekend everyone, stay safe. 🙂  

Definitely take some pictures if you can.  I hope you have a wonderful time.  I'm one of those people that enjoys the beach in the fall and winter when its deserted and a storm is moving in.  

• Like 10

1 minute ago, superoma said:

So along with shortening the cruise ship ban in Canadian waters to November  2021 rather than February 2022 prime minister Trudeau is hinting that he might open the border to fully vaccinated visitors by the end of august. The cruise ship change won’t do anything for this season on the east and west coast but it may make a difference for Canadians looking for insurance on cruising elsewhere this winter. The border opening will depend on what happens with the delta variant and details on how it would actually work are still lacking. I do know a Covid testing site is being set up on the Canadian side of the ambassador bridge but again actual details of how things will work are still lacking. But certainly a light at the end of a long dark tunnel.

It is good news indeed for 2022 itineraries, subject to change of course, we have another long winter to get through. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, atexsix said:

Definitely take some pictures if you can.  I hope you have a wonderful time.  I'm one of those people that enjoys the beach in the fall and winter when its deserted and a storm is moving in.  

Thank you!  I'm also one who enjoys the beach in the winter -- many winter birthdays spent at the beach -- there or in the mountains lol.  It's a long drive to Long Beach, but we thought we'd go somewhere different than Ocean Shores 😉  

• Like 13

Bedrock Zinfandel California Old Vine 2015
I’m finding this for around $25 a bottle.

Winemaker Notes

#12 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2017 

From vines averaging over 80 years in age planted throughout the diverse state of California, this wine aims to reflect the perfume, freshness, and spice that makes Zinfandel so utterly delicious.

Critical Acclaim

WS93
Wine Spectator
Rich and supple, this is an explosion of pure, decadent fruit. Floral huckleberry and Chinese five-spice powder aromas open to layered blackberry, dark chocolate and licorice flavors that linger. Drink now through 2026.
RP90
Robert Parker's Wine Advocate
The reds start with the 2015 Zinfandel Old Vine, which comes from many different old-vine vineyards largely based around three farms in Sonoma planted in 1888, 1896 and 1905. In addition, there is a kitchen-sink blend of other old-vine sites as well. Peterson guesses that the average age of the material in the blend is at least 80 years. The bend is 90% Zinfandel and the rest Petite Sirah, Alicante Bouschet, Grenache, Carignan, Mataro and a few other eccentric black varieties. This delicious wine shows terrific fruit, loads of steak tartare, ground pepper, black raspberry and blackberry fruits, licorice, creosote and an Amarone-like character. It is dense, full-bodied, vibrant and energized. Drink it over the next 5-6 years if you can wait that long.
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, jimgev said:

Your experience has caused me to take some action. I've been thinking about getting the new shingles vaccine for a while. (I had the old one about ten years ago). So this morning I went and got the first dose of the new one.

I hope the medication continues to improve your symptoms

Good for you!  I had the old one in 2012 and should have gotten the new. DH just left for Publix to get his first one. A new painful area popped up. Ouch. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Thank you!  I'm also one who enjoys the beach in the winter -- many winter birthdays spent at the beach -- there or in the mountains lol.  It's a long drive to Long Beach, but we thought we'd go somewhere different than Ocean Shores 😉  

You're smart to leave early, route 101 really backs up in spots on Friday afternoons. 

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, superoma said:

So I wonder how that will affect the Alaska season. Will the cruise ship companies just drop in a service call to Victoria?

• Like 6