Denied boarding

Tiffanymom

Received a message from our travel agent Wednesday  informing us Hal would deny boarding for our Alaska cruises.

the reason   I use a probable oxygen concentrator  for flying.  So Hal said I must  have. a lung disease. I had a lung infection 10 years ago and need P.O.C. To fly only.  I have never needed or use it on a cruise ship. We have done 25 to 30  cruises in those 10 years. I offered to let medical center or  the front desk to hold my POC until l disembarked.  I would also get “ a fit to cruise”letter from my Doctor. The answer was still no.

we were to board today forB2B cruises.  we were Told our account had been flagged so we were also forced to cancel 27 day Europe cruise

Finally after called Mariners I got a email Bryon Mckeena in the president office.  He stated I “singled out” and prevented from boarding.

disappointment can not describe  what I feeling.  I also believe that Hal has violated the America Disability Act . i am filing against a violation with the Justice department.

Pamela have 

• Like 1

It was in their contract.  We called and if we board with a POC.  Then we received a form.  You can not hide it in a tote as everything is xrayed.  About the size of a handbag.  It makes oxgyen..

We did want to arrive in Seattle and be deny boarding at the port.

pam

• Like 1

Sorry this happened.
 If there are legitimate health and safety concerns, such as the inability of a ship to provide adequate care, boarding can be denied and it is unlikely it would be considered as discrimination based on a disability.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Tiffanymom said:

Received a message from our travel agent Wednesday  informing us Hal would deny boarding for our Alaska cruises.

the reason   I use a probable oxygen concentrator  for flying.  So Hal said I must  have. a lung disease. I had a lung infection 10 years ago and need P.O.C. To fly only.  I have never needed or use it on a cruise ship. We have done 25 to 30  cruises in those 10 years. I offered to let medical center or  the front desk to hold my POC until l disembarked.  I would also get “ a fit to cruise”letter from my Doctor. The answer was still no.

we were to board today forB2B cruises.  we were Told our account had been flagged so we were also forced to cancel 27 day Europe cruise

Finally after called Mariners I got a email Bryon Mckeena in the president office.  He stated I “singled out” and prevented from boarding.

disappointment can not describe  what I feeling.  I also believe that Hal has violated the America Disability Act . i am filing against a violation with the Justice department.

Pamela have 

Well that sucks big time but good that you found it out before you tried to get on the ship.

So sorry to hear you are not able to go at the last minute. I can't imagine how disappointing this must be! 

Looking through the cruise contract/risk acceptance I am not seeing anything specifically about oxygen other than the standard duty to notify carrier of special needs, right of carrier to refuse passage for health and safety reasons, etc. Am I missing something? 

Wondering if this applies specifically to oxygen/portable oxygen concentrators or if it would apply to CPAP as well. 

• Like 1

I know that must be incredibly disappointing. Being that it was only for flying, I wonder if the storage facility at the airport, or a hotel with such a facility, would have been able to store the portable item?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, zgscl said:

So sorry to hear you are not able to go at the last minute. I can't imagine how disappointing this must be! 

Looking through the cruise contract/risk acceptance I am not seeing anything specifically about oxygen other than the standard duty to notify carrier of special needs, right of carrier to refuse passage for health and safety reasons, etc. Am I missing something? 

Wondering if this applies specifically to oxygen/portable oxygen concentrators or if it would apply to CPAP as well. 

CPAP machines are accepted unless there is an oxygen component. I understand some machines do. Is bipap the correct term?

I think the issue is that the ships can only have so many oxygen generating gadgets and they need them in case of covid.

they may also be concerned that you are more susceptible

I am so sorry this has happened to you 😢 

Sadly, we are in unpredictable times and I can understand the ships being cautious for the early sailings in 2021.

I hope you can find another cruise in 2022 that will work 🤞 

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, Babr said:

CPAP machines are accepted unless there is an oxygen component. I understand some machines do. Is bipap the correct term?

No, bipap means there are two different air pressures - one for inhaling and one for exhaling.  You would use an oxygen concentrator for the oxygen component.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dfish said:

No, bipap means there are two different air pressures - one for inhaling and one for exhaling.  You would use an oxygen concentrator for the oxygen component.

Thanks. You can see I don’t know anything about CPAP machines. I was trying to remember what I read about what kind was acceptable.

The reasoning is that anyone who needs extra oxygen at any time has a respiratory condition that makes them more vulnerable to complications if they develop covid. Since you live in CA perhaps you should take Amtrak and avoid the need for the oxygen.  EM

• Like 6

I'm so sorry, I know how disappointing it is in a sense, I've had to cancel cruises within a few days of sailing, for different reasons obviously, but it hurts just the same.  

It is a good thing you saw it in the contract, I imagine many people don't even give it a glance, I read it once years ago when I was new to cruising, perhaps I should take another look, who knows what else is buried in the fine print.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Babr said:

Thanks. You can see I don’t know anything about CPAP machines. I was trying to remember what I read about what kind was acceptable.

I use a bipap machine and it has never been questioned.   Just ordered the distilled water for it yesterday.   

I am so sorry this happened to you.  I don't know how I would handle it if something like that happened to me.

On the Carnival board, someone posted that they pre-ordered distilled water for their CPAP.  For some reason they decided they didn't need the CPAP for their cruise and left it at home.  When the distilled water was delivered to their cabin, they declined it and may have mentioned the reason they no longer needed it.  Apparently it raised a red flag and they had to leave the ship.  Someone determined it was a liability for a person with a breathing issue to be on the ship without the proper equipment. 

After the debacle with the Diamond Princess and HAL's World Cruise, I think cruise lines are aware that they were allowing passengers to board with medical conditions that could compromise their safety and welfare as well as the safety and welfare of others onboard. 

• Like 5

Given that Covid is a respiratory illness, I think the cruise lines are especially sensitive to and on the lookout for those passengers with respiratory issues.

• Like 4

I want to thank the OP for posting this. 👍

I know they are disappointed and don’t blame them but this thread has helped alert others to this issue and I think, taught us all to review the contract / Know Before You Go no matter how many times we have cruised.  Rules can change especially with a pandemic 😱 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, syesmar said:

I know that must be incredibly disappointing. Being that it was only for flying, I wonder if the storage facility at the airport, or a hotel with such a facility, would have been able to store the portable item?

Best Answer