Vaccine requirement extended indefinitely

pbenjamin

There hasn't been a lot of discussion on this.  The requirement was due to expire on 12/31.  Now it has been extended "for the foreseeable future".

Given the continued public health concerns and our commitment to protecting guests, crew and the communities we visit, we are extending our vaccination policy requirement for the foreseeable future. As such, we will require all guests and crew to 1) be fully vaccinated at least two weeks prior to departure, 2) acknowledge vaccination status prior to sailing and 3) present proof of vaccination at the pier at embarkation in order to board.  Guests who are not old enough to be vaccinated per the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), World Health Organization (WHO) and European Medicines Agency (EMA) are not permitted to sail. As science, technology and government regulations evolve, we will update our health and safety protocols as needed and appropriate.

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe

• Like 19

18 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Good for NCL!  (And they may have been waiting until a vaccine was approved for younger kids to announce this.)

The timing of the announcement had a lot to do with the final payment for January 2nd sailings falling due tomorrow.

• Like 4

I wonder what the cancellation policy is for persons who choose not to get vaccinated since the Peace of Mind option is no longer offered. I appreciate that persons booked through US can cancel without penalty before final payment but that isn't an option for bookings in UK/EU for example.

I would add that I am fully vaccinated I was just curious

• Like 1

The language below is from the NCL sail-safe link.  Is it Italy that is mandating that NCL cruisers can only take NCL shore excursions in Italy or is it NCL?  

"Due to local government regulations, guests are required to take a Norwegian Cruise Line shore excursion while visiting Colón, Panama and ports in Italy as guests will not be allowed to explore on their own."

8 minutes ago, jemz1949 said:

The language below is from the NCL sail-safe link.  Is it Italy that is mandating that NCL cruisers can only take NCL shore excursions in Italy or is it NCL?  

"Due to local government regulations, guests are required to take a Norwegian Cruise Line shore excursion while visiting Colón, Panama and ports in Italy as guests will not be allowed to explore on their own."

It's a requirement of Italy.  I'm going on a cruise with Italian stops in late Nov-early Dec, and that requirement from the government of Italy still holds (currently).

--Michael

• Like 1

What does fully vaccinated really mean? I assume that right now it means two shots but for how long will that be correct? Will they soon say that three shots are needed? Or maybe the most recent shot must be taken less than six months before the cruise, or five, or four?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

What does fully vaccinated really mean? I assume that right now it means two shots but for how long will that be correct? Will they soon say that three shots are needed? Or maybe the most recent shot must be taken less than six months before the cruise, or five, or four?

Really?   NCL will tell us if the requirements change.   Just get the shots as your Doctor recommends and you'll be good to go.

8 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Really?   NCL will tell us if the requirements change.   Just get the shots as your Doctor recommends and you'll be good to go.

Not necessarily.

There are still gaps between vaccinations offered and NCLs requirements in a lot of places. If NCL vaccine rules in any way relate to government recommendations then it is in the US. That leaves a decent proportion of their customer base where it is fairly random whether they are able to meet the requirements.

We will probably (but not certainly) be ok for our cruise next Easter but that is only because our son is 16. If he was younger then it would be a lot less likely that we would be in a position where it was safe to make final payment by the time it is due. It is very possible that future changes regarding boosters etc could cause similar problems.

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

Not necessarily.

There are still gaps between vaccinations offered and NCLs requirements in a lot of places. If NCL vaccine rules in any way relate to government recommendations then it is in the US. That leaves a decent proportion of their customer base where it is fairly random whether they are able to meet the requirements.

We will probably (but not certainly) be ok for our cruise next Easter but that is only because our son is 16. If he was younger then it would be a lot less likely that we would be in a position where it was safe to make final payment by the time it is due. It is very possible that future changes regarding boosters etc could cause similar problems.

I 100% agree on this. Different countries have their own and very random requirements for covid vaccinations. Even EU/Schengen area does not have one joint requirement. For example for many (most) countries it is enough that you are fully vaccinated (2 shots) minimum 14 days before your arrival. Thats it. Two shots and you are good to go. Not so for all countries though. For example Austria says:

"Travellers must have a covid-19 vaccination certificate stating they have received:

- the second dose of AstraZeneca, Covidshield, Moderna, Pfizer-Biontech, Sinopharm or Sinovac at most 360 days before arrival and in minimum 14 days before arrival or

- the third vaccination dose of AstraZeneca, Covidshield, Moderna, Pfizer-Biontech, Sinopharm or Sinovac at least 120 days after the second dose and at most 360 days before arrival"

I am expecting more and more countries to have rules that mantion 3rd vaccination and that there is not a big time lapse of receiving the vaccination and start of the visit. Most likely cruiselines will adopt this too. However different countries are at very different stages of giving out vaccinations and for example in EU area we are still waiting (most likely still longer) for vaccinations to start for kids 5-11 years of age. Also when countries start 3rd vaccination rounds wary very very much.

19 hours ago, pbenjamin said:

There hasn't been a lot of discussion on this.  The requirement was due to expire on 12/31.  Now it has been extended "for the foreseeable future".

Given the continued public health concerns and our commitment to protecting guests, crew and the communities we visit, we are extending our vaccination policy requirement for the foreseeable future. As such, we will require all guests and crew to 1) be fully vaccinated at least two weeks prior to departure, 2) acknowledge vaccination status prior to sailing and 3) present proof of vaccination at the pier at embarkation in order to board.  Guests who are not old enough to be vaccinated per the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), World Health Organization (WHO) and European Medicines Agency (EMA) are not permitted to sail. As science, technology and government regulations evolve, we will update our health and safety protocols as needed and appropriate.

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe

All I can say to this is:

16448b041ddd9732a0c6d8a6fc7b2c68.jpeg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, European_CruiseGirl said:

I 100% agree on this. Different countries have their own and very random requirements for covid vaccinations. Even EU/Schengen area does not have one joint requirement. For example for many (most) countries it is enough that you are fully vaccinated (2 shots) minimum 14 days before your arrival. Thats it. Two shots and you are good to go. Not so for all countries though. For example Austria says:

"Travellers must have a covid-19 vaccination certificate stating they have received:

- the second dose of AstraZeneca, Covidshield, Moderna, Pfizer-Biontech, Sinopharm or Sinovac at most 360 days before arrival and in minimum 14 days before arrival or

- the third vaccination dose of AstraZeneca, Covidshield, Moderna, Pfizer-Biontech, Sinopharm or Sinovac at least 120 days after the second dose and at most 360 days before arrival"

I am expecting more and more countries to have rules that mantion 3rd vaccination and that there is not a big time lapse of receiving the vaccination and start of the visit. Most likely cruiselines will adopt this too. However different countries are at very different stages of giving out vaccinations and for example in EU area we are still waiting (most likely still longer) for vaccinations to start for kids 5-11 years of age. Also when countries start 3rd vaccination rounds wary very very much.

I just received my 3rd dose this weekend and am not cruising until October 2022.  Do you think I will need a 4th shot before then in order to cruise?

13 minutes ago, Crazy planning mom said:

I just received my 3rd dose this weekend and am not cruising until October 2022.  Do you think I will need a 4th shot before then in order to cruise?

No one has a crystal ball, hard to know what Jan will even hold 🙂  But just keep checking NCL's website and cruise critic to keep up to dat on requirements and you will be fine! 

• Like 3