Airline changed arrival time into FLL, How late is too late?

edgeman61

We were recently notified by the Airline that our flight which was supposed to arrive in FLL (Fort Lauderdale) at 10:45A is now due to arrive at 2:45P for a same day departure on the Enchanted Princess.

Assuming we actually arrive at the scheduled time, it will probably take 1-1.5 hours at the baggage claim and say another ~1 hour in the taxi queue + travel to the port.

This would put our arrival at the port pretty close to 5:00P.  I know that the ship requires all passengers to be onboard 1.5 hours prior to sailing.

I have not been able to find any info regarding Princesses sailing time.  Five o-clock sounds too late to me, is it?

I think I will need to push back on the Airline.

Thanks for any comments.

With all the things going on with Covid right now and the hundreds of flights being canceled by some airlines this is one good reason not to fly in for your cruise on the same day.     Hope you get this resolved and make it to your vacation on time. 

• Like 2

We did not use E-Z Air, it was a credit we had with the Airline from a flight we had to cancel last year when one of our cruises was cancelled.

I will wait until the Holiday rush dies down and contact the Airline for assistance, the cruise isn't until the middle of March 2022.

Thanks,

• Like 1

I personally think that your estimate at baggage claim is way too high. Airlines are (mostly) touting a 20 minute lapse between landing and arrival of bags at carousel.  You could also spring for an airport transfer...that way they know when you're arriving and will be "responsible " for getting you to the port. No need to fight for a cab.

1 hour ago, sunsetme said:

tell the airline this won;t work for you, they will usually accommodate the change, look up your options

I doubt it. These days, airlines are very strict, especially in regard to their own policies. There should be a solid reason, for them to change their mind or satisfy such a request 

19 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

I doubt it. These days, airlines are very strict, especially in regard to their own policies. There should be a solid reason, for them to change their mind or satisfy such a request 

Maybe we can agree to disagree... I fly with Delta.  They have ALWAYS been very good to accommodate changes.   Over the past year or so they have even waived any change fees.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

You could also spring for an airport transfer...that way they know when you're arriving and will be "responsible " for getting you to the port.

This.  We have seen it where there was a flight delay and a bus load of passengers was booked for transfer through Princess. They held the ship. But an earlier flight would allow more time to get settled in before sailing.

5 hours ago, edgeman61 said:

We were recently notified by the Airline that our flight which was supposed to arrive in FLL (Fort Lauderdale) at 10:45A is now due to arrive at 2:45P for a same day departure on the Enchanted Princess.

Assuming we actually arrive at the scheduled time, it will probably take 1-1.5 hours at the baggage claim and say another ~1 hour in the taxi queue + travel to the port.

This would put our arrival at the port pretty close to 5:00P.  I know that the ship requires all passengers to be onboard 1.5 hours prior to sailing.

I have not been able to find any info regarding Princesses sailing time.  Five o-clock sounds too late to me, is it?

I think I will need to push back on the Airline.

Thanks for any comments.

Even if you check no luggage, you likely don't have enough time to make a 4pm sailaway.  Yes, the ship sails at 4pm.  And, I doubt Princess will hold the ship ... unless you are a party of a couple hundred.

Do your research, and see what flight schedules will work, and have Plan B and Plan C flight options in case your first preference is not available.

Suggest you prioritize this now ... before some flight options go poof or fill up. 

i didnt see that you mentioned the airline, but here is my recent experience. Tickets booked using Delta points, so not EZAir. Last week our return flights for our May Alaska cruise were changed to early morning  when we will not even be off the ship. I initiated a chat with Delta

rep who offers to cancel my flights amd give me credit so I can book a new flights (now twice the cost). I argue with her for a while that this is not acceptable and that I want a later flight for the same price or a refund. Finally she sends me to next level support, who apologized and rebooked me on a flight that would work for the same price.  So....if you call and they wont offer something acceptable, keep pushing or ask for a manager. Do research and know your options and what you want before you call.  My guess is you will get it worked out. 

Edited by Buckeye10640
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, edgeman61 said:

We did not use E-Z Air, it was a credit we had with the Airline from a flight we had to cancel last year when one of our cruises was cancelled.

I will wait until the Holiday rush dies down and contact the Airline for assistance, the cruise isn't until the middle of March 2022.

Thanks,

Don’t wait, call them right away because of cancelled flights, schedule changes…you want to have your chose of a protection flight.  If you wait, the earlier flight could be sold out.

What airline is it?  Tell them the schedule change is not acceptable and you need an earlier flight.  
Good luck!  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

Tell them the schedule change is not acceptable and you need an earlier flight.  

This is critical.  I've had airlines change our flight times a couple of times, and when they say "do you accept the changes", I usually say "No, it won't work with our onboard time."  Every time they've rebooked me on a different flight (even a different airline) to arrive close to when the original flight was supposed to.

3 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

This is critical.  I've had airlines change our flight times a couple of times, and when they say "do you accept the changes", I usually say "No, it won't work with our onboard time."  Every time they've rebooked me on a different flight (even a different airline) to arrive close to when the original flight was supposed to.

Yes, absolutely.  But, for the best options it should be done as soon as possible.

IMO you are definitely cutting it too close. I traveled every week by plane for my career (including FLL to DFW) and I honestly think you have a a very good chance of missing the ship if you keep your current reservation.

As others have said, most sailings leave at 4:00 PM. In my experience, airlines will accommodate you if they change your original flight to something that doesn't work for you. Air travel, even pre Covid-19, is just way too unreliable to cut anything so close.

If it is an impossibility for you to fly in the day before, my advice is for you to do your best to get another early morning flight even if it has to be on a different airline. You may have to fight your original airline for a refund but that hassle is better than missing your cruise.

Edited by hllwdcruiser

Princess’s cut off time for arrivals at FLL is 2 pm, so your flight won’t work.  As others have suggested look at your airline’s flight schedules, pick the one or two flights that work best then contact the airline and explain the new schedule does not work. When this has happened to me the airline was helpful and gave me my first choice of a new flight at no extra cost.

3 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Don’t wait, call them right away because of cancelled flights, schedule changes…you want to have your chose of a protection flight.  If you wait, the earlier flight could be sold out.

What airline is it?  Tell them the schedule change is not acceptable and you need an earlier flight.  
Good luck!  

I agree.  I would not wait.  There may be several other cruisers on the same flight that got cancelled and finding another earlier in the day may be impossible.