Daily Cabin Clean up

I have my Alaska cruise with Serenade of the Seas on May 22 which is 2 weeks from now. Due to the Covid hanging around I will sanitize my cabin with Lysol spray and wipes on the first day and tell my cabin steward not to do the daily clean-up for my cabin, just to replace daily with clean towels, empty garbage can and place it inside my cabin hallway. This way I will feel safer as nobody have touch anything in my cabins that I need to wipe again. Any comment?

3 minutes ago, kafei van said:

I have my Alaska cruise with Serenade of the Seas on May 22 which is 2 weeks from now. Due to the Covid hanging around I will sanitize my cabin with Lysol spray and wipes on the first day and tell my cabin steward not to do the daily clean-up for my cabin, just to replace daily with clean towels, empty garbage can and place it inside my cabin hallway. This way I will feel safer as nobody have touch anything in my cabins that I need to wipe again. Any comment?

So you'll be spending the entire cruise in your cabin. :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

RCI staff are much better at health protocol than anyone I know.  Was very pleased my cabin every day.  Roy was so consistent about double mask, gloves all the time, and sanitizing his gloves before he came in (yes, he cleaned his gloves after parking the cart in front of the door and setting the door stop).  I was conscientious about either being gone, or being on the balcony with the door shut during his visits - I wasn't protecting myself so much as giving him the space and freedom to do his tasks without worry.

No, I want the twice daily maintenance, I like a professionally made bed, the filled ice bucket, the towel animal, the candies, the "have a good day" notes, the turned down bed, the pajamas folded and under the pillow.  Yes they are little things, but they make a day so much better.  

I got lists of pleasing things other staff do - waiters, bar staff, pool attendants, even the friendly lady that makes so many trips up and down my staircase to wipe the banisters every hour.

I'm on vacation -- PAMPER ME!

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, kafei van said:

Covid is not spread on surfaces.

• Like 15

58 minutes ago, kafei van said:

You don't need to obsess about things being touched. Let the cabin stewards do their duties. Get your cabin cleaned twice a day. I travel 2-3 times a month and have been on 6 cruises since restart. There is zero need to worry about housekeepers cleaning your hotel or cruise ship room. 

The minute you leave your cabin, you will be in contact with elevators buttons, hall rails, doors, dining tables, chairs, drink glasses, plates, loungers, theater seats, bars, etc. that others have "touched". 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, kafei van said:

That's not how covid spreads. You're wasting time and stress on that.

• Like 8

I always tell our cabin steward that we never need morning cabin service.  I also put a note on the door before I go to bed reminding them along with the do not disturb sign.

The do not disturb sign isn’t enough because they’ll have to keep checking to see if you removed the sign.

1 hour ago, kafei van said:

If you are worried about the steward touching things, how are you going to get through a cruise with literally a couple thousand people, no masks, standing in lines right behind you, squished into the elevator with you, sitting shoulder to shoulder in shows, jammed into the hot tub like sardines?  I could go on and on. With an airborne virus, you being surrounded by all these people who are well-- breathing, coughing, sneezing, laughing out loud--is way more likely to get to you than a steward using cleaning products in your room.  

Edited by rockmom
  • Like 5

This says it all:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-are-your-health-and-sanitization-standards

Q

What are your health and sanitization standards on the ship? What guidelines apply and how do you know they are sound? How is the crew trained to implement them effectively?

A

In compliance with strict standards set by U.S. Public Health Services (USPHS) and the Vessel Sanitation Program (VSP), our ships have always been maintained using the most rigorous cleaning regimens. Now, with guidance from our Healthy Sail Panel, we've evaluated every element of our cleaning protocols and enhanced those regimens to meet medical-grade standards. All ships are thoroughly cleaned and sanitized prior to every voyage, and consistently and frequently throughout your sailing, with disinfecting cleaning agents and techniques that have been certified by health authorities as effective against SARS-Cov-2 (coronavirus). All chemicals are EPA-certified, alcohol-based, scentless, and safe for the general population. High-traffic and frequently touched areas like elevators, escalators, stairways, and promenades are cleaned every two hours and gangway rails every 20 to 30 minutes during busy times. Staterooms are cleaned daily and only while guests are out of the room, with particular attention paid to frequently used items and surfaces. All stateroom and housekeeping attendants will be continuously trained on the latest sanitization guidelines. We'll ensure cleaning standards are upheld through frequent stateroom inspections using black light technology to show surface wiping efficacy. Crew will have mandatory, ongoing training classes and refreshers that are documented to ensure all the latest protocols are being followed, in compliance with various international regulations, including the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS), Standards of Training, Certification, and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW), and the International Organization for Standardization (ISO).

• Like 1

Not all Lysol products "kill" the virus.  Check that you have the right ones.  UV C light works better and easier IMHO.  But if you are going out and about not wearing an N95 mask at "all" times, then extra efforts in your cabin are probably a waste o' time.  Also if flying that is a big risk of exposure as well.  Set your expectations to be around many people, cruisers and staff, and to touch many surfaces, chairs table tops, door handles, elevator buttons, etc.  Hope you have a great trip.

• Like 1

With all of the OP's fears and phobias, I don't think cruising at this time is advisable. There  is no way to isolate yourself on a cruise, or anywhere else for that matter, unless you don't move from your cabin, or home.

• Like 2

Have you traveled much since Covid started? If the answer is no, I get the obsession with cleaning and sanitizing. It can feel a bit scary getting back to travel after being bombarded for two years with health and safety measures.

I travel for a living (on a weekly basis), and believe me, at the beginning of Covid, I was obsessively cleaning everything. I wouldn't even iron my clothes without sanitizing the iron with a wipe and wearing gloves! It was insanity. 

But the more I traveled, the more I realized that these measures were unnecessary overkill and had little effect on my ability to remain healthy, so I stopped obsessively cleaning. I still take precautions (washing my hands frequently, not touching my eyes, nose, and ears, and I avoid some places and scenarios that may be more conducive to viruses spreading). In other words, I still take basic precautions that I should've been taking any way before Covid. And I still haven't gotten sick with Covid. . 

I humbly recommend that you allow yourself to enjoy your vacation without obsessing unnecessarily. You have a better chance of getting sick by doing every day activities at home, than from a cabin steward cleaning your stateroom. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 5

Not trying to be rude in any way shape or form, but if you feel the need to keep a stateroom attendant out of your room on a cruise then I would suggest you not travel right now.  Are you somehow at a high risk if you catch Covid (immunocompromised or other issues)?  If so then I 100% understand being cautious but a potential infection from a stateroom attendant cleaning your room is about the least of your worries.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, D4 said:

I always tell our cabin steward that we never need morning cabin service.  I also put a note on the door before I go to bed reminding them along with the do not disturb sign.

The do not disturb sign isn’t enough because they’ll have to keep checking to see if you removed the sign.

We ask for once a day, but the evening service.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kafei van said:

SMH