The Daily for Saturday 05/14/2022

richwmn

2 hours ago, cunnorl said:

Good Afternoon from a sunny and warm day at the beach

Have not posted in the last several days but I have been following the thread. 

Played golf  this AM with DS. We were first off and it was beautiful.  Now home and trying to catch up.

Not sure I agree with todays quote. I enjoy the classics and am currently in the process of re-reading " Pride and Prejudice". I love that book.

Thanks Debbie @dfish for the recipes. We all enjoy fajitas here.

@summer slope  A very Happy Anniversary . May you have many more.

Finally got the gift card fiasco straightened out and my credit card restored. Not sure why that was such a problem! But it is done!

Stay safe and enjoy today

I'm glad you got the gift card mess straightened out, and your credit card restored.

1 hour ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

Well rats! I'm now a statistic among the Covid positive ranks. DGD has had it for a week but even masking and keeping our distance it wasn't enough. The only good part of this is that all my pre-op in-person appointments are just over 2 weeks away so surgery should still happen. DH will pick up the medication in an hour. Phooey!

@kazuIf you have airline mileage plans, be sure to contact them for transfers too.

I'm sorry you tested positive, but glad you have some dedication to help.  Hope your case is mild and your are over it soon, and before the appointments.

Lenda

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Just got back from a cruise to St Maarten and the island has suffered a lot over the last 4 years.

The Hurricane in 2018 and all the shutdown and lack of work for covid.

What was once a pretty island I am afraid to say is looking quite run down and poor these days. The Dutch side is faring better than the French side.

Love Fajhitas.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 6

Well, I am back in from planting - not finished but I put one heck of a dent in it. 👍. Once it cools down if I have energy, I’ll go out and get a few things in.  It went up to 31 Celsius here. If DH is looking down, I think he would be pleased 🤞 

8 hours ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  Today is our 56th wedding anniversary...and they said it wouldn't last.

A very happy anniversary to you both 🥂 

94236E9C-FA09-404E-8418-16000B177F85.gif.96c0f291eae6abc141b3d7bfe466f1a7.gif

8 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Sometimes we all need a little reminder.

9C23A031-4092-4397-9D69-77E0FE8D4AC4.jpeg.470edecf0989e0d722cdbbc140ef6622.jpeg

I really like this.  I’m going to keep it.  Thanks ♥️ 

8 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Good Morning!  I actually love the quote today.  When we were on vacay last week we attended the Ballet Don Quixote.  There were no programs.  (turns out the program was on an app that you had to download before you attended) .  After the second intermission, the three of us walked out into the hallway.  DH said, I'm not getting it.  I walked out and asked, what's the name of Don's sidekick, which the BFF knew, but then he asked what the story line of the ballet was.  He had read the book in high school but didn't really remember it.  Who knows, I know it's a classic, but DH and I had never read it.

Don Quijote’s side kick was Sancho of course (and no, I didn’t need to go upstairs and get my books).  I have two as I’ve read it in Spanish and English many years ago when my Spanish was much better.

8 hours ago, marshhawk said:

DH's doc wants to wean him off the hard stuff pain killers,  move him more into the Tylenol way of life.  He also asked about his depression,  which i am glad that someone asked him about.  He told him to get out and walk more.  get his blood moving, and way from the desk.  He told him that he should be doing things that he likes doing, more trips, more time at the beach, less time indoors.  He told him to eat less meat, less fried food, less processed food.  More veggies, more salads and NO sugar. 

So glad to hear your DH’s doctor is trying to get him off the pain killers and provide natural solutions to the pain and the depression.  DH was a pioneer here - creating an opioid reduction programme which was very successful (his colleague who spoke at the funeral spoke on it which I very much appreciated).  Jose firmly believed that too many pills were often prescribed (which could conflict with each other) and that there were solutions that did not require dozens of pills.  Many lives were changed and I hope your DH’s is too.

3 hours ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

Well rats! I'm now a statistic among the Covid positive ranks. DGD has had it for a week but even masking and keeping our distance it wasn't enough. The only good part of this is that all my pre-op in-person appointments are just over 2 weeks away so surgery should still happen. DH will pick up the medication in an hour. Phooey!

Well dam on the covid, Susie 😠. I hope it doesn’t affect you much and you can recover easily and quickly.  And, OMG - Yes, we would have been about to go on our Volendam cruise - I guess there is a reason for everything. 😉 

I’m thankful it won’t interfere with your surgery. 

3 hours ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

@kazuIf you have airline mileage plans, be sure to contact them for transfers too.

Transfers?  You mean from the airport to the hotel?  I’m not sure those are offered with Aeroplan - must check.  I’m happy to get the business class - especially travelling alone.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, kazu said:

Transfers?  You mean from the airport to the hotel?  I’m not sure those are offered with Aeroplan - must check.  I’m happy to get the business class - especially travelling alone.

Oops, sorry I wasn't very clear. Transfer any remaining points/miles to your account. We just received miles from a friend's account who passed away last September. His family was very generous to the friends.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

Oops, sorry I wasn't very clear. Transfer any remaining points/miles to your account. We just received miles from a friend's account who passed away last September. His family was very generous to the friends.

Oh thanks.  Jose had so few I don’t know if they will but I will investigate.  We learned long ago to dump all the miles in one person’s account - mine (since I’m the one who did all the bookings).  But points are points so I will contact them and ask.  thanks - I hadn’t thought of that.

I’m sure there’s lots I still haven’t thought of to do.  

• Like 18

Good afternoon.  Thanks for the Saturday Daily.  We have disembarked the Eurodam and are waiting for our flight out of Seattle.  The cruise was great.  Port times were cut pretty short, but they seemed to overcompensate with wonderful food and service onboard.  Lovely cruise.  The ship seemed often to be traveling really fast.  We guessed that there’s a lot of split-second timing going on to allow a great number of ships to visit the ports.

@SusieKIslandGirl, I’m sorry to hear you have Covid.  Wishing you a swift recovery.

@summer slope, Happy Anniversary!  We celebrated our 43rd this past week on our cruise.  
@Heartgrove, thoughts are with you and your sister and family. I’m so sorry to see she is in hospice.

The photos are wonderful today.  Who doesn’t enjoy a day on a Caribbean island?

And this is why we sail there.  Have a lovely afternoon, All.  😉

A9FE2F51-8E41-4A9C-BA6F-6D376C6B7951.thumb.jpeg.33367d3cbc45c95345d3fa8c008b594a.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 7

While going through some documents I came up on another anniversary.  It was 40 years ago today I passed my final exam to become a Fellow of the Society of Actuaries.

Roy

• Like 26

Today, I got the letter from the hospital with the results of my mamogram. As I expected, since I had not gotten a phone call, everything was normal.

@AncientWanderer  Maxine, a belated Happy Anniversary.  A BHB makes a great place to celebrate, and we've celebrated seveal anniversaries on a BHB.

@rafinmd  Roy, congratulations on the 40th anniversary of passing your final exam to become a Fellow of the Society of Actuaries.

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon, from a chilly Victoria.  We have had a really strange month and two days (11th and 12th) had the coldest temperatures on record (80 years of records...).   Today was a little better, DD brought back a tableful of plants from her visit to our cousin on the mainland, and there was a lot of planting or potting on required.   She brought back around 8 baby lilacs, some purple and some white, but we don't know which are which.  I would like a white one, so we are potting them all on and I will try to force them to bloom next year, so I can find a white one.  Unfortunately they are not like foxgloves, where you can turn the leaf over to decide what colour the flowers will be.   Also a lot of time has been spent on hold with HAL, trying to organize a M&G for our next cruise, in July.   And my new iPhone arrived, and requires learning! 

Today we got our invitations to get  our fourth shots, yay!  I think we will book them for later this month.   We'll be very careful until then, as so many people seem to be catching the virus.  Hope your case is mild, @SusieKIslandGirl.   

Congratulations on the anniversary, @summer slope!   Also to any anniversaries I might have missed.  Welcome home to @sailingdutchy, @Cruzin Terri,  and @Oceansaway17!  62 days to wait for us.

We were in St Martin in 2018, soon after the hurricane.  There was a lot of damage, I wonder if they have managed to make all the repairs.

P1050452.thumb.JPG.3195db932e0eed2bdc5b2b78fcd379c9.JPG

IMG_3958.thumb.JPG.196337353b3796f2b71a19e630d703cf.JPG

IMG_3973.thumb.JPG.76cd3ef7eaa45bfa44d05e9dc4d9d5c4.JPG

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 6

Hi all. Just a quick note to update you on my crazy life. I visited my son in Mobile and fell in love with the town. I told him I would move there is I could find a place on the river that I could kayak from that was not too expensive. Well he found a house on the dog river and it was great. So I put on offer in before I even saw the place.  I saw lots of pictures and Adam did a full inspection of the place. My offer was accepted before I got to see it in person. I went back again and it is a house that makes me happy. But it was in probate with lots of hoops to jump through.  When I came back to my house in Oregon it started snowing and most of the time it has been cold and snowy. I can't wait to get back. It finally closed and I now have a house in Mobile and one in Oregon. Today I rented a uhaul and will drive 2700 miles to get most of my stuff there. Adam is replacing and repairing a few things for me and will have it all ready when I get there.  But life is never easy. Son, grandson and I will be coming back to get the house ready and listed in Oregon and then one more trip with my Casita travel trailer and jeep to Mobile. Not only that but I've been to Washington three times and have planned an Alaska cruise with my sister. I feel like I am meeting my self coming and going.  So I think of all of you guys often and read when I can but will be on the road for the next week or so, driving the uhaul. Just an update as some of you have asked how I was.  Thanks for caring. I am overloaded but fine and looking forward to my new adventures. 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, lindaler said:

Hi all. Just a quick note to update you on my crazy life. I visited my son in Mobile and fell in love with the town. I told him I would move there is I could find a place on the river that I could kayak from that was not too expensive. Well he found a house on the dog river and it was great. So I put on offer in before I even saw the place.  I saw lots of pictures and Adam did a full inspection of the place. My offer was accepted before I got to see it in person. I went back again and it is a house that makes me happy. But it was in probate with lots of hoops to jump through.  When I came back to my house in Oregon it started snowing and most of the time it has been cold and snowy. I can't wait to get back. It finally closed and I now have a house in Mobile and one in Oregon. Today I rented a uhaul and will drive 2700 miles to get most of my stuff there. Adam is replacing and repairing a few things for me and will have it all ready when I get there.  But life is never easy. Son, grandson and I will be coming back to get the house ready and listed in Oregon and then one more trip with my Casita travel trailer and jeep to Mobile. Not only that but I've been to Washington three times and have planned an Alaska cruise with my sister. I feel like I am meeting my self coming and going.  So I think of all of you guys often and read when I can but will be on the road for the next week or so, driving the uhaul. Just an update as some of you have asked how I was.  Thanks for caring. I am overloaded but fine and looking forward to my new adventures. 

Very exciting news, Linda!  I know you'll be happy when you settle in on the Dog River and are near your son, Adam.  You have a good plan and when you get finished with all the driving and selling, etc. you will have plenty of time to enjoy life with your family, in a great city, Mobile.  Thanks for letting us know. XX

• Like 14

8 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Aloha! Just read all the post? @summer slopeHappy Anniversary!💐

It’s tidy up day at the Villa so in order for housekeeping to clean you have to vacate for two hours. So will head up to Lihue for a couple of supplies and the car needs gas. At $5.60 a gallon! Yikes!

Starting our last week. It’s been a wonderful vacation and we never tire coming here. 

So it’s time for breakfast and for many of you late lunch. Have a great weekend.

Thanks for the report and post.

Petrol here is NZ$3.00 a litre.

Enjoy the remainder of your Hawaiian holiday.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lindaler said:

Linda, congratulations on the new house.  It sounds like the right move for you at this time.  I know being close to your son and grandson will be nice. 

Enjoy your Alaskan cruise.

Lenda.

• Like 9

I expected to visit Sint Maarten in January 2020 on the Nieuw Amsterdam, but HAL pulled a last-minute switch and took us instead to St. Croix. This was because of the ship's propulsion problem, which made Sint Maarten too far from the other ports, and it was especially irksome because the problem was known well in advance but the change wasn't announced until after embarkation. I suspect that a lot of passengers just walked around Frederiksted, possibly shopped a bit, and returned to the ship. I had found out that it was possible to share a van to Christiansted, which seemed to be of greater historical interest, so that's what I did.

It was a great cruise nonetheless, and that wasn't the only problem. There was an earthquake in Puerto Rico on the day we were to call at San Juan; we got to dock at 2:00 p.m., but people who had plans for restaurants and shopping were disappointed, because most shops hadn't opened and some restaurants couldn't open because the electricity had been out, or still was. I had printed out the directions for a self-guided walking tour, and was able to visit all the sites except El Morro, which stayed closed.

Is it OK to ask about this entry in the fleet whereabouts?

Rotterdam   Destination Visby, Belarus eta 5/15

Visby is in Sweden, and Belarus is landlocked.

• Like 10

5 hours ago, kazu said:

Well, I am back in from planting - not finished but I put one heck of a dent in it. 👍. Once it cools down if I have energy, I’ll go out and get a few things in.  It went up to 31 Celsius here. If DH is looking down, I think he would be pleased 🤞 

I get to tackle my gardening as soon as I'm back from our cruise, it sounds late but we're having such a cold wet spring that it should be fine, I want to get some potatoes and green beans done....the strawberries are up and running and already producing a few berries.

• Like 9

10 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

It's a rainy morning, but the sun will break through later with a high of 60.  I hope to get out in the garden after we get our 2nd boosters in a few hours.  After reading and hearing that "mixing and matching" can boost the efficiency of the boosters, we plan to get Moderna today after having had Pfizer for our first 3.  I got apologies from the nurse and doctor for the snafu in telling me I have Covid...I know they're slammed right now and everyone makes mistakes, but that will be a day I won't forget. 😲

Interesting days, the quote isn't true for me, the meal sounds really good for today.  I think I'll get a rotisserie chicken today when we get our boosters. Fajitas tonight and easy meals the next few days in case the booster lays me flat...or not.  I don't think we've been to St. Martin, thanks for all photos.  Will pass on the wine and drink.

Happy Anniversary Dixie @summer slope!

Jacqui @kazuyour garden is looking great as always.

Susan @durangoscotsso glad that you're safe from the fires.

Terri @Cruzin Terriwelcome home!!

We had our 2nd booster last month, I sure hope it gives the promised extra layer of protection for our cruise.  Are you still doing Hawaii in the spring?

How terrible about the wrong diagnosis.  That happened to me years ago with cancer, for a week I thought I had it, can you imagine?  I wasn't happy about it but what can you do?

Hate to burst your bubble, but more rain on the way tomorrow.  At least everything is green.

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

Happy Anniversary @summer slope!

The weather in the Kawarthas has been nice so far. We just got a new patio dining table and umbrella at Jysk in Peterborough -

20220513_111243.thumb.jpg.3708a1ff41df5e238afd76926433a485.jpg

What a beautiful deck?  I love elevated terraces like this.

• Like 9