The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday October 3rd, 2022

richwmn

Good morning everyone. It’s a rainy day with temps right now of 43 degrees. A good day to snuggle under a blanket and read or binge watch tv. I’m definitely not a techie but my youngest grandson has published an app called Should I and it’s sold on Apple devices. He’s 17 and heading for the tech world. I’ll pass on the meat balls and spaghetti and am looking forward to tonight’s steak dinner. Child health , both mental and physical is very important.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 28

1 hour ago, ottahand7 said:

We had a sad loss for the Ravens yesterday but as we sat at home and watched the weather we were happy that we were warm at home! 

Wasn't it!.  I really don't care much about football but the Ravens have been a great asset to the community both on and off the field and I really want to see them do well.  That first half was so promising; I hope second half collapses will not be a hallmark of the season.

Roy

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning! Slept late and woke up to a nice sunny 59. Little late as I needed some time on a Roll Call. 
Yesterday, we enjoyed an old New England classic of Boston Baked Beans, hot dogs and homemade Brown Bread. Delicious and I believe I will have a bean sandwich for lunch!

I checked our World Cruise Itinerary as I thought we were going to visit Fremantle. Nope! So thanks for the pics.

It’s the usual laundry day but sometime this week I need to get a haircut. One of my former troops called me and asked “Chief how’s retirement?” I replied “Listening to my hair growing!” Back on active duty it was common to maybe get a weekly or bi weekly haircut. So upon retirement some still maintained the style and other’s like me enjoyed the freedom to let it grow. So that inch of hair behind my neck is probably the longest ever. And that’s all I got to say about that!😎

Well DW aka the Colonel wants me to get going so with a crisp salute and Yes Ma’am I’m out of here.

Have a great day and week. Thanks for the reports.

Bruce aka Chief🇺🇸

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 28
  • Haha 1

Good morning sunny, breezy, and cool central Texas.  Not much on the agenda today, but I plan to wash the cars after it warms up a bit more.  Right now it's still in the 50sF, and that's a little cool for car washing since I tend to get wet in process.

BTW, Texas won their game Saturday night.  Sunday's game will be in Dallas at the Cotton Bowl.  It is the Red River Rivalry against the University of Oklahoma.  UT has lost quite a bit the last few years, but OU seems to be struggling this year, so there is hope.  HOOKEM HORNS!

Like others, my last boy friend has been my DH for 55 years.  DH is the techie in this house, but I'm learning a few tricks.  Child heath is important as a building block for good health later in life.

I also find today's quote a little weird.  We'll pass on the meal and the drink.  DH likes white zinfandel wine, but after drinking today's wine selection for many years, I am not a fan anymore.

@kazu  Jacqui, I hope today is warmer for you while you are tackling the outside work.

@cunnorl  Charlene, that's good news about the power being back on in Orlando and that you and DD can get your hair done.

@Cruzin Terri  Terry, I'm very happy your flights are working out so well, and that the air tags worked.  

@ger_77  Gerry, I'm glad all you had was a sore are after your booster.

@mamaofami  Carol, congratulations on your 17 year old DGS publishing and selling an app.

We were in Freemantle and Perth in 2000 on P&O Oriana's world cruise.  DH took these pictures as I was still using a film camera back then.  He had one of the first digital cameras which he bought for the cruise.

When the ship docked, there were a lot of people at the terminal to greet us.  Many of those waiting for the ship had immigrated to Australia and were there to see relatives on the ship.  When we sailed late that night, the crew passed out streamers for the passengers to throw to their relatives.  Both sides held on to their end of the streamer until it broke as the ship moved away from the dock.

P2190283.thumb.JPG.a2f5ac7726b87903738443e52bbe21e0.JPG

This ship was too long to get in one shot.  It is used to transport sheep in the open cages on the decks.

P2190278.thumb.JPG.a46e11d9d7effb57078bf6d6b37a5f05.JPG

P2190280.thumb.JPG.8afaa4f3b7ae01205b3dcef16b78360d.JPG

The next pictures are from our morning walk around Freemantle.  There may be one or two repeats, but from a different angle.

P2190285.thumb.JPG.b2aa9eaed07ce921e838c16108a04f74.JPG

P2190286.thumb.JPG.bb61317a038d026e7f352ad2a34e8aff.JPG

P2190293.thumb.JPG.03f949c1202bb202363beeb3820f1d19.JPG

P2190291.thumb.JPG.2d4d02d898d22308aa22156ac40611e4.JPG

The Round House at the end of the street and a different view of the Round House

P2190288.thumb.JPG.f8cde2ce70697bffb6b25258374b1d94.JPG

P2190295.thumb.JPG.216cd44309f969cbe171adfcb6f3ff52.JPG

A local church

P2190299.thumb.JPG.4217d53b6d4e91877238261452bd4004.JPG

A monument to Vasco de Gama

P2190296.thumb.JPG.12bc03fdf49d84f13c4d816ae09c6db6.JPG

That afternoon we did a scenic tour of Perth, but we wished we'd know about the train from the port into Perth before we bought our tour tickets.  We were in the front seat on the top deck of the bus so had some good views.

P2200300.thumb.JPG.c71ed2b6a2fd45547869bde4a59ae7cd.JPG

P2200301.thumb.JPG.084a2f31e62925c8a122ffb9892dff4d.JPG

P2200302.thumb.JPG.82ed9b6b27d15589c12a4ca7837aca6a.JPG

Our one stop was in a park to see the black swans.

P2200303.thumb.JPG.4797aef4b0742083d03a9a5e5a9f43aa.JPG

P2200304.thumb.JPG.b56681f67cfe3cdefe9cbf3ee09b6961.JPG

Lenda

• Like 27
  • Thanks 6

Good Monday morning.  DH had an early appointment and we were running late even though we got up at 6, but I keep forgetting that there is traffic out in the world now, actual rush hours.  Why they call it rush hour is beyond me, you can rush all you want, but you still just sit there.  We get to the docs, and th first hing they said was , we have new software today, this may take a while.  Chuck's nurse said, the heck with that, grabbed Chuck and just wrtote every thing down.  The doc came in, and Chuck complained about the pain in his mouth (this was the radiologist who has told every one, that there is no way the radiation attacked the inside of his mouth) .  A long appointment, went to the grocery store, and came home,  prepped the meatloaf for dinner.  About to walk the dog, and yes , she gave me a healthy raise.  Dh is going to cook a steak for lunch that has been in the fridge, maybe one day too long, but I dont want to throw out a T bone.

I will chomp down lunch, and then get to work....I really just want to sleep.  Oh well, maybe next Sunday.  I will plan a nap the day away day.

670216dd8a10951fac5c013407b54e26--manic-monday-gardening-tips.jpg

• Like 26

Good afternoon!  Thanks for all of the information!

We went for bloodwork this morning.  Should get results by our doctor visit on Wednesday.  Afterwards we had a nice big breakfast - corned beef hash and eggs with a biscuit- a bit decadent, but good!  

best wishes to all!  

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!  We are having leftover spaghetti and meatballs today so the meal suggestion is right on target today. I cheat and use frozen meatballs from Trader Joe’s. They are really good and better than what I make. 

I probably won’t be able to post until Wednesday after we arrive in Quebec City.  Have a great day everyone!

• Like 27

Good morning. Great fall weather.  Love the even temperatures and mild mornings. I don't miss the frost.  

Thanks Rich and all who so regularly contribute to this forum. You are appreciated even if many of us don't comment very often. Thank you.

I hope to have enough energy to go out kayaking tonight. It has been slow recovery with my energy level so I'm again going to push a little harder and see if I can keep up tonight. 

Prayers for all who need them. Cheers for all the wonderful friends on here that I've met or will meet someday. 

• Like 25

Good morning all!

My DH is my boyfriend, I salute child health, and both our children are techies especially our son who has made a highly successful career out of being a techie. 

I don't get the quote, the meal sounds good although high in carbs for me.  No to the sweet wine and pass on the drink.  Have never been to Perth, but it's on the Grand Australia in '24 thank you for all the great photos!  

It's another day of cruise prep -- we're all packed and just counting the hours now.  Have a great day everyone!  

• Like 24

Good morning, all!  Cheers to everyone travelling today, I am envious.  We will stay in a few more days, I think.  But one of needs to go and check the mailbox.  I did get an email this morning from the Butterfly Gardens, and evidently my strange creature hanging from a door frame is a Western Tiger Swallowtail butterfly, one of our largest native butterflies.  I am sad that it has disappeared from the shed, I'm afraid a bird might have taken it.  My only hope is that maybe it "hatched" and flew away.

I posted some pictures from Perth and Fremantle last time, I'll add a few more.  We also had a visit to Penguin Island from Perth, where there is a penguin rescue operation, and walkways around the island above the area where the penguins build their burrows.  The fairy penguins there are I think the smallest penguins.

At the botanical gardens in Perth - it had rained(October) and the wildflowers were in bloom.

CIMG1581.thumb.JPG.82a6454a496d00af237de667d0b6d887.JPG

The shore in Fremantle

CIMG1668.thumb.JPG.5e1fb065a54a56074947fa7d91183123.JPG

CIMG1672.thumb.JPG.fdb0533b97547a0fdc7fd4cfbbfad829.JPG

At Penguin Island

P1030835.JPG.45229559870a0305b3ee24c8965a7268.JPG

P1030849.JPG.fe42d831cfb82da5c9d229473f6fdcbe.JPG

P1030853.JPG.7534f4636245881ecd6daff8a2d18d9a.JPG

• Like 24
  • Thanks 5

46 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning!  We are having leftover spaghetti and meatballs today so the meal suggestion is right on target today. I cheat and use frozen meatballs from Trader Joe’s. They are really good and better than what I make. 

I probably won’t be able to post until Wednesday after we arrive in Quebec City.  Have a great day everyone!

Safe travels, Sharon.   Can't wait to see you in the lobby of the Chateau Frontenac.

• Like 20

Another beautiful day in the Pacific NW.  Should be about 75F every day for the next week.  Still waiting for the Fall rains.  Today's wine brings up memories.  In the 1970s we lived in the San Francisco area.  When out of town guests came we often took them to the Beringer winery in the Napa Valley at St Helena.  They had caves that were dug by Chinese laborers in the 1800s after work on the transcontinental railroad was over that were used to store wine in wooden barrels.  They also had wine tasting and a park to eat lunch and drink wine.  We were new to wine then, and they sold a sweet desert wine called "Malvasia Bianca".  Don't remember the price, but think it was more than that of today's wine.  They had a special estate bottled version for about 4 times the price.  I decided I didn't want to taste it because if it was so much better than the original I might no longer like the original and I knew I couldn't afford the expensive one.  I grew up on a farm where if something broke we fixed it ourselves and became kind of a techie.  Was an electronics repair person in the Navy and retired as a Master Chief Electronics Technician.

Ray

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

The story of White Zinfandel is one of my favorites.

In the early 1970s Sutter Home winery, owned by Bob Trinchero, was, arguably, the dominant producer of Zinfandel wine in California.  In 1975 Trinchero was fermenting a rosé wine made from Zinfandel grapes.  I really do not understand the chemistry, but, sometimes the fermentation gets "stuck," i.e., the yeasts stop consuming the grape juice sugar.  As a result the resultant wine is lower in alcohol and has residual sugar left in it.  Well, that is what happened to Trinchero's 1975 Zinfandel rosé.

What to do?  He was trying to create a bone dry wine, but he was left with one that had very discernable sweetness.

He did what any reasonable businessman would do, although, he had no idea what the full effect of his action would be.  He bottled it and labeled it "White Zinfandel" rather than rosé.  He sold every bottle.

Of course, this did not go unnoticed in the industry or among wine drinkers.  White Zinfandel was sought out in restaurants and retail stores all over the United States.  Winemakers all over California started bottling White Zinfandel.

Now, I am not much of a rosé drinker, but, while I have been a red wine bigot for my entire adult life, I will own up to the fact that I did drink my share of White Zinfandel in the '70s and '80s.  Also. I thank Bob Trinchero for his happy accident.

The 1970s and the 1980s were a time of explosive growth of wine consumption in the United States.  It did not take long before the "sophisticated" wine consumer to focus his choice of wine grapes on two:  Chardonnay and Merlot.  Winemakers and, especially, vineyard owners quickly recognized this trend.  Many old growth vineyards were replaced with Chardonnay or Merlot cuttings.  Many of those replaced vineyards were Zinfandel--planted decades prior by, to a large extent, Italian immigrants.

White Zinfandel saved many of these historic old vine Zinfandel vineyards.  So, now, many of these low-producing vineyards provide fruit for varietal wines and field blends for such outstanding wineries Bedrock, Carlisle, Once & Future, Ridge, and Sandlands.  (Apologies if I omitted anybody's favorites.)

I should probably honor Bob Trinchero by purchasing a bottle of White Zin this week.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 9

27 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Another beautiful day in the Pacific NW.  Should be about 75F every day for the next week.  Still waiting for the Fall rains.  Today's wine brings up memories.  In the 1970s we lived in the San Francisco area.  When out of town guests came we often took them to the Beringer winery in the Napa Valley at St Helena.  They had caves that were dug by Chinese laborers in the 1800s after work on the transcontinental railroad was over that were used to store wine in wooden barrels.  They also had wine tasting and a park to eat lunch and drink wine.  We were new to wine then, and they sold a sweet desert wine called "Malvasia Bianca".  Don't remember the price, but think it was more than that of today's wine.  They had a special estate bottled version for about 4 times the price.  I decided I didn't want to taste it because if it was so much better than the original I might no longer like the original and I knew I couldn't afford the expensive one.  I grew up on a farm where if something broke we fixed it ourselves and became kind of a techie.  Was an electronics repair person in the Navy and retired as a Master Chief Electronics Technician.

Ray

Ray, when we lived in northern California we were about 45 minutes from Napa Valley.  We often drove over  (with or without houseguests) and went to the wine tastings.  I agree Beringer had one of the best tasting rooms, plus the caves to tour.  Another favorite was Christian Brothers.  We acquired 4 Christian Brothers 5" tall tasting glasses, but they hold so little they're not much use to me at Happy Hour!

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI1T6ADWuWEVXdJLBOpYGsErnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1664819517

7 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

In the early 1970s Sutter Home winery, owned by Bob Trinchero, was, arguably, the dominant producer of Zinfandel wine in California.  In 1975 Trinchero was fermenting a rosé wine made from Zinfandel grapes.  I really do not understand the chemistry, but, sometimes the fermentation gets "stuck," i.e., the yeasts stop consuming the grape juice sugar.  As a result the resultant wine is lower in alcohol and has residual sugar left in it.  Well, that is what happened to Trinchero's 1975 Zinfandel rosé.

What to do?  He was trying to create a bone dry wine, but he was left with one that had very discernable sweetness.

He did what any reasonable businessman would do, although, he had no idea what the full effect of his action would be.  He bottled it and labeled it "White Zinfandel" rather than rosé.  He sold every bottle.

Of course, this did not go unnoticed in the industry or among wine drinkers.  White Zinfandel was sought out in restaurants and retail stores all over the United States.  Winemakers all over California started bottling White Zinfandel.

Now, I am not much of a rosé drinker, but, while I have been a red wine bigot for my entire adult life, I will own up to the fact that I did drink my share of White Zinfandel in the '70s and '80s.  Also. I thank Bob Trinchero for his happy accident.

The 1970s and the 1980s were a time of explosive growth of wine consumption in the United States.  It did not take long before the "sophisticated" wine consumer to focus his choice of wine grapes on two:  Chardonnay and Merlot.  Winemakers and, especially, vineyard owners quickly recognized this trend.  Many old growth vineyards were replaced with Chardonnay or Merlot cuttings.  Many of those replaced vineyards were Zinfandel--planted decades prior by, to a large extent, Italian immigrants.

White Zinfandel saved many of these historic old vine Zinfandel vineyards.  So, now, many of these low-producing vineyards provide fruit for varietal wines and field blends for such outstanding wineries Bedrock, Carlisle, Once & Future, Ridge, and Sandlands.  (Apologies if I omitted anybody's favorites.)

I should probably honor Bob Trinchero by purchasing a bottle of White Zin this week.

Thanks for the background of White Zinfanel wines.

• Like 21

4 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning sunny, breezy, and cool central Texas.  Not much on the agenda today, but I plan to wash the cars after it warms up a bit more.  Right now it's still in the 50sF, and that's a little cool for car washing since I tend to get wet in process.

BTW, Texas won their game Saturday night.  Sunday's game will be in Dallas at the Cotton Bowl.  It is the Red River Rivalry against the University of Oklahoma.  UT has lost quite a bit the last few years, but OU seems to be struggling this year, so there is hope.  HOOKEM HORNS!

Like others, my last boy friend has been my DH for 55 years.  DH is the techie in this house, but I'm learning a few tricks.  Child heath is important as a building block for good health later in life.

I also find today's quote a little weird.  We'll pass on the meal and the drink.  DH likes white zinfandel wine, but after drinking today's wine selection for many years, I am not a fan anymore.

@kazu  Jacqui, I hope today is warmer for you while you are tackling the outside work.

@cunnorl  Charlene, that's good news about the power being back on in Orlando and that you and DD can get your hair done.

@Cruzin Terri  Terry, I'm very happy your flights are working out so well, and that the air tags worked.  

@ger_77  Gerry, I'm glad all you had was a sore are after your booster.

@mamaofami  Carol, congratulations on your 17 year old DGS publishing and selling an app.

We were in Freemantle and Perth in 2000 on P&O Oriana's world cruise.  DH took these pictures as I was still using a film camera back then.  He had one of the first digital cameras which he bought for the cruise.

When the ship docked, there were a lot of people at the terminal to greet us.  Many of those waiting for the ship had immigrated to Australia and were there to see relatives on the ship.  When we sailed late that night, the crew passed out streamers for the passengers to throw to their relatives.  Both sides held on to their end of the streamer until it broke as the ship moved away from the dock.

P2190283.thumb.JPG.a2f5ac7726b87903738443e52bbe21e0.JPG

This ship was too long to get in one shot.  It is used to transport sheep in the open cages on the decks.

P2190278.thumb.JPG.a46e11d9d7effb57078bf6d6b37a5f05.JPG

P2190280.thumb.JPG.8afaa4f3b7ae01205b3dcef16b78360d.JPG

The next pictures are from our morning walk around Freemantle.  There may be one or two repeats, but from a different angle.

P2190285.thumb.JPG.b2aa9eaed07ce921e838c16108a04f74.JPG

P2190286.thumb.JPG.bb61317a038d026e7f352ad2a34e8aff.JPG

P2190293.thumb.JPG.03f949c1202bb202363beeb3820f1d19.JPG

P2190291.thumb.JPG.2d4d02d898d22308aa22156ac40611e4.JPG

The Round House at the end of the street and a different view of the Round House

P2190288.thumb.JPG.f8cde2ce70697bffb6b25258374b1d94.JPG

P2190295.thumb.JPG.216cd44309f969cbe171adfcb6f3ff52.JPG

A local church

P2190299.thumb.JPG.4217d53b6d4e91877238261452bd4004.JPG

A monument to Vasco de Gama

P2190296.thumb.JPG.12bc03fdf49d84f13c4d816ae09c6db6.JPG

That afternoon we did a scenic tour of Perth, but we wished we'd know about the train from the port into Perth before we bought our tour tickets.  We were in the front seat on the top deck of the bus so had some good views.

P2200300.thumb.JPG.c71ed2b6a2fd45547869bde4a59ae7cd.JPG

P2200301.thumb.JPG.084a2f31e62925c8a122ffb9892dff4d.JPG

P2200302.thumb.JPG.82ed9b6b27d15589c12a4ca7837aca6a.JPG

Our one stop was in a park to see the black swans.

P2200303.thumb.JPG.4797aef4b0742083d03a9a5e5a9f43aa.JPG

P2200304.thumb.JPG.b56681f67cfe3cdefe9cbf3ee09b6961.JPG

Lenda

Great photos Lenda.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Safe travels, Sharon.   Can't wait to see you in the lobby of the Chateau Frontenac.

Thank you -- See you Friday Debbie!

53 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

Thank you for this background.  Sutter Home White Zinfandel was our wine of choice when we started drinking wine in the late 70's and throughout the 80's.  After that we started to prefer drier wine and started drinking Sauvingon Blanc.

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 18

Good afternoon. Late today since I dashed out this morning to take care of some banking business for the Humane Society. I needed to work on up-dating some of our CD's..... evidently the last round of updates did not go through (some one did not sign or a signature card was lost - whatever) and the signatures on some accounts were out of date. I think all paperwork is now correct and the officers just need to sign. Will do a follow-up the end of the week.

We had more rain last night including a couple of downpours during thunder storms. The dogs slept thought it all even though the condo shook a couple times. Today is sunny with possible showers this afternoon.

Love the meal but oh those carbs!!! Have been to  Freemantle/Perth but don't remember much.  I will have to refresh my memory. Hope to visit again in 2024 on Grand Australia.

Off to lunch and to begin clearing out again. I get just so far then get stalled and seem to have to start all over.

Susan

Edited by durangoscots
  • Like 17