The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday November 10th, 2022

richwmn

Good morning. Sunny here, but cold. 23F when the dogs and I went on a forced march. They are now settled into their beds. Will have to drag them out again in about an hour. It is only supposed to make it into the low 40's today. The Chi hates to wear a coat, so I will take him out for short excursions and then walk Bandit further. That should keep me busy this morning.

I think I would like the meal today although it is a bit carby. Would have to go light on the rice. Have been to the destination but no pictures.... it was not a terribly good day but I would like to go back.

Glad to see the ships arriving in Ft. Lauderdale and so very sorry to hear about the condo issues for @JAM37. Lenda, hope the transfer goes easily today. Take care all. Lady Luck seems to be all over the place these days.

• Like 16

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Eurodam and Rotterdam are circling outside Port Everglades.  No official word on opening but "Scheduled" arrival times have been moved to 0940 which is more realistic than 0600.  My revised itinerary shows us leaving at 9PM and missing HMC and Curacao, then picking up our original itinerary.

Roy

Good to hear that you be sailing sometime today, have a great cruise.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, kplady said:

Good morning!

To add to @richwmnRich's list of days, today is the United States Marine Corps birthday - 247 years old!  It was founded in Tun Tavern, a bar in Philadelphia....and I'm sure a lot of Marines have spent time in one of them over the years!  My DH is a Marine, and he and his Marine friends all go out to dinner tonight to celebrate. The picture is from one of his tours in Vietnam.

741251611_Dadwithhair.thumb.jpg.dfeae45dcee326bc2b365a88e7feafd0.jpg

Hoping Nicole leaves Florida (and the rest of the US) alone!

Have a great day,

Laura

Thanks to your DH for his service.

• Like 12

When I got to the hospital, they were doing a PT evaluation.  They'd had DH up walking with a walker, and he was sitting in a chair for a while.  He is ready to be transferred back to rehab, but they don't have a room for him.  Hopefully, it will happen tomorrow.  Since there's not much for me to do here while he sleeps, I think I'll head home and take care of the yard work before our temperature's drop by 20 degrees tomorrow. 

It will probably be late when I finally get to read the Daily.

Hope all of you in Florida remain safe and suffer no damage to your homes.

Lenda

• Like 22

Good morning all!

Wow, lots of news -- so glad to see the ships coming to FLL (bon voyage Roy @rafinmd)!  And so happy about the rescue of the refugees.  I agree with the person who said that the person in the Crows Nest who spotted them should get a reward!

All good days today.  DH is an accountant, and thank goodness for that.  He's able to keep track of our weird statements on cruises and keep on top of them.  I would never be able to do it.  Will pass on the vanilla cupcakes.  Why have vanilla when you can have chocolate?  🤣  I agree with the quote, and would like the meal but go easy on the rice.  I usually love white blends so the wine would most likely be one I like, and I would try the drink.

Today the Grandsons' school will be having their Veterans Assembly.  DH has participated every year since the oldest was in kindergarten (they're now 2nd and 4th grades).  Every year except during Covid.  So we'll be going down there for the assembly, and then bring the boys home with us overnight.  They have tomorrow off from school for the holiday.  It will be good to see them, it's been 6 weeks.  

• Like 20

Good morning and thanks all!  Hoping everyone stays safe in Florida.  Prayers and good wishes for everyone on the care and celebration lists, 

Lots of great photos from Cartagena, I’ll add a few more as we climbed up to the fortress! 

FD0FC799-29B9-4F50-943D-20D2CF9E3C77.jpeg

713F9AC9-95C9-4F43-B838-7A127CCE7FB7.jpeg

02C6C5B1-C644-4A62-B38D-1181B3E3A907.jpeg

5FB669D6-1525-40A8-BC8B-B2F5950158CB.jpeg

FC752D4A-24B8-449F-8298-94150F324FBC.jpeg

9A1BEED0-0684-4F1B-8DFC-44C58F30782A.jpeg

D950F50B-5562-4B77-B4BD-4E3DEC35F685.jpeg

D402E273-281E-4D74-BC7B-547E4020D83B.jpeg

5B3B9842-6256-4513-ADEF-E83AD18A4642.jpeg

4038AE81-CA79-4E49-A015-513E60BC61A1.jpeg

FA174AB1-44BF-46A6-98DB-08E4F54938B3.jpeg

F0ECB446-D7DB-4327-9808-8A1F82EE3ED5.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

Good morning, Dailyites!  Thanks to all who post with interesting news of the day, and I'm hoping that health issues are resolving.  We are waiting to hear what is going to happen, but Pat is on a new antibiotic and we are hoping that does the trick.  Hope everyone in Florida stays safe, then I expect the rains will progress up the East Coast and into Canada...

When we were first married, we lived in Barranquilla, just up the muddy Magdalena river from Cartagena, and visited there a few times.  Also, once on a cruise, when Jacqui organized a wonderful (if hot!) tour.  If I go there again, I will just stay in the port.  Coconut rice (arroz con coco) was a favourite dish in Barranquilla, but a tremendous amount of work.  First you went to the market to find a coconut.  It had to be the right coconut, a nice big one, if it was too small and young it would just have a sort of jelly inside.  Then home, poke holes in the "eyes" and drain the liquid, then whack the coconut hard to crack it open,  You had to pry out the chunks of meat, fortunately for the rice dish you didn't have to peel off the brown covering of the coconut meat unless you wanted to,  Then you grate the coconut, add the liquid that you poured out and a little  water, put the whole mess into a strainer lined with muslin, and press all the liquid out into a bowl.  It had to sit for a few hours for the "cream" to rise to the top - I suppose it was mainly coconut oil, really - skim off as much of it as you could from the remaining "milk" and cook that for a while until all the tiny speckles of coconut that had made it through the strainer turned brownish.  Then add the rice and fry that for a bit until all the rice was coated with the oil.  Add all the reserved "milk" up to the same amount as the rice (like 2 cups of rice to two cups of liquid).  Cook the rice and enjoy. I noticed that the pictures of the rice today didn't have the little brown speckles!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 7

Good afternoon!  Thanks for all of the interesting information!

We were in Orlando looking at hotels for DH’s ship reunion next year.  The couple who live there who will be in charge of it decided on the Drury which should make it pretty reasonable for the shipmates with all of their inclusions!  And it has a nice indoor/outdoor pool and a shuttle to Universal.

We drove home early yesterday to avoid the storm which I think was worse there.  We have had a lot of rain and wind, but are staying inside.

Best wishes!

• Like 20

1 hour ago, durangoscots said:

The Chi hates to wear a coat,

I know how he feels!!  😂

Made some chicken noodle soup from scratch and now I’m just waiting a few more minutes before we can eat it.  Smells so good.  I can’t get that Pumpkin Bread recipe out of my mind so I guess I’m going to pop out to the store for the pumpkin.  And bok choy, of course.  Except I’m kind of feeling like a Greek salad instead.  Oy.

I have to say that I am kind of sad that the rescued Cubans are being repatriated.  I didn’t realize it wasn’t allowed anymore.  I hope they are not penalized and that their brief exposure to life onboard a cruise ship helps to motivate them in a positive way.  We are so very fortunate to live how and where we do.  It irks me to see so many petty and privileged complaints and really poor attitudes some people have on this board.  (Not on this thread.)

Okay.  Had to get that off my chest.  Thank you.  🌷

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

I am again asking for help from anyone on this thread to show me how to put the link for my email back on my signature.  I inadvertently took it off when trying to change my email and don’t know how to put it back.  You can reach me at cruzinterri@outlook.com

Thanks and God bless,

Terri

Hey, Terri,

I don't know if this will help. Hope it does.

• Like 10

Good early afternoon from SE AZ!  I wanted to check in since I haven’t posted in a few days. I’ve been under the weather, not really felt good since I got home from Charleston. I took a covid test yesterday but it was negative and I’ll take one again tomorrow just in case. It really feels like the flu but I had a flu shot at the same time as my booster. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 7

When on the Zuiderdam Panama Canal cruise in 2017 we also visited Cartagena and made a similar tour as @StLouisCruisers and others to the monastery , the same shops and
walked  possibly a few more different neighbourhoods so I will add some more pictures .  Will try not to duplicate ……….

Suburbs of Cartagena seen from the Mount

image.jpeg.0ee5ff672f6dace28ab9dba9dc064b13.jpeg

image.jpeg.6e7ae16ff1eec2f0f97bf9afabcc1637.jpeg

image.jpeg.dec61ed1c2cdcecac7798237e8c763f1.jpeg

image.jpeg.b14dda9f5d5581c3f61e1afd6e0804a2.jpeg

image.jpeg.b2d4bc1c73ef1e224d13805e153a8b06.jpeg

I did NOT touch , promise  ……….but you can see where people did …….!

image.jpeg.d0e3b62a9a1d8eb150cf5738ea48dbd5.jpeg

image.jpeg.18b7ec97c161a2693050ab4c3cc4878b.jpeg

image.jpeg.2bf086e2e27a4ebf3a7e9ddd2e14e861.jpeg

image.jpeg.210125140654bb791d601342e9480407.jpeg

image.jpeg.e8ef99f79a6d6c95aec7a38adab9258b.jpeg

image.jpeg.62a3ba071e4dc21cf88e0c04904330e5.jpeg

image.jpeg.b84c5eaa8367625deef23b884406fc29.jpeg

image.jpeg.df2cc49e2a5d66348dd69fb0419ecb32.jpeg

image.jpeg.3a2923e8f9378df11acf51faf9365c2e.jpeg

image.jpeg.bb578d23a29cf1e09f882e4c1ae0802d.jpeg

Had to get some Columbian coffee of coarse 

image.jpeg.89930cff2b10eebfb177a30f98d2fa61.jpeg

image.jpeg.0f8d3f9bb74fe1da79e36337f0fca43f.jpeg

image.jpeg.c7ec80863f61b7e1d46990837e4b44ce.jpeg

Tony 😄

DSCN2358.JPG

DSCN2370.jpg

DSCN2375.JPG

DSCN2377.jpg

DSCN2408.jpg

DSCN2418.jpg

DSCN2422 2.JPG

Edited by sailingdutchy
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 7

10 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good early afternoon from SE AZ!  I wanted to check in since I haven’t posted in a few days. I’ve been under the weather, not really felt good since I got home from Charleston. I took a covid test yesterday but it was negative and I’ll take one again tomorrow just in case. It really feels like the flu but I had a flu shot at the same time as my booster. 

Take it easy. Get well soon!

image.png.bb49bfe064aebc37bbdb7e5c167b1c6a.png

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:

Sorry for the mess I made downloading , tried to correct it a couple of times ............

Computer 1  -  Tony 0 

:classic_wacko:

Don't worry about it.  We all struggle with CC sometimes.

Sharon @Sharon in AZI hope it's nothing serious and the Covid tests remain negative.  It could still be a flu variant the flu shot manufacturers didn't include, from what I hear.  Get lots of rest.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Sharon, we've all been knocked down by something here, too -- even though we all had flu shot.  Ours is scratchy throat, cough, headaches, body aches and all had cold sores.  Go figure.  No fever.  It seems to last three or four days.

TMI, and yours may be different, but just heads up for all that there's stuff going around that's not covid and not stopped by flu shot.  

Stay healthy everyone.

• Like 15

6 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning! Currently 61 degrees and may get to 71. With every small gust of wind our deck is being pelted with acorns. Same on our front driveway. We are hoping to get some rain out of Nicole but it’s not going to have any harmful effect on us. 
Roy I hope your BHB is able to dock today and you can start your cruise.

Looking at PTZTV cam on Pompano Beach shows the Atlantic calming unlike what we’re seeing in Daytona area.

Thanks Rich for the Fleet Report. Roy thank you for your faithful Care/Celebration and all other reports.

Have a great day.

Bruce, I never could figure out what you meant about the acorns before since I’ve never lived anywhere that they were an issue. But, OMG!  They were everywhere in Charleston, you couldn’t walk anywhere without stepping on them. I can’t imagine picking them all up from your yard. 

19 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Take it easy. Get well soon!

image.png.bb49bfe064aebc37bbdb7e5c167b1c6a.png

Thank you Joy!

7 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Don't worry about it.  We all struggle with CC sometimes.

Sharon @Sharon in AZI hope it's nothing serious and the Covid tests remain negative.  It could still be a flu variant the flu shot manufacturers didn't include, from what I hear.  Get lots of rest.

Thank you Sandi!  It’ll pass, just crummy not feeling good. It’s crazy, but I actually felt like I was in closer contact with others during this land trip than on any of our cruises. Plus on our cruises everyone had to be vaccinated.

• Like 13

5 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Sharon, we've all been knocked down by something here, too -- even though we all had flu shot.  Ours is scratchy throat, cough, headaches, body aches and all had cold sores.  Go figure.  No fever.  It seems to last three or four days.

TMI, and yours may be different, but just heads up for all that there's stuff going around that's not covid and not stopped by flu shot.  

Stay healthy everyone.

Yes Maxine, exactly what we feel like. I hope you all feel better. 

1 minute ago, Vict0riann said:

Another thing regarding the flu shots we heard on the news last night is that they probably will give you about 50% protection, so tell yourself you're only half as  miserable as you might have been...😉

So true!  Thank you Ann. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1