The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday December 8th, 2022

richwmn

Thank you Rich, thank you Roy, thank you Debbie, thank you Cat Shepard, and thank you Dixie for your daily contribution! And thank you all for being here!

Prayers for the two firefighters's families and the rest of their fire company. My parents instilled a willingness to serve in myself and my siblings. That was why my brother and I served in the Coast Guard, and I also spent 13 years as a member of my local fire department in my younger years. My ex would always worry when I was paged for a Haz Mat call but I told her that we were very methodical when responding to those calls. It was the more frequent fire calls that were uncertain as to outcome. 

The un-official Coast Guard motto borrowed from the original U.S. Life-Saving Service is: "You have to go out, but you don't have to come back."

Bravo Zulu!

Stay Safe!

- Jack

• Like 22
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you Rich. for the penultimate single-digit Fleet Report and Daily of 2022.  We don't celebrate Immaculate Conception Day but owe a lot to our Blue Collar Workers.  I wonder if National Brownie Day is the food or the young Girl Scouts.  Curacao is a great port but I've had a history at ending up in the crummiest berth.  I like the Green quote.  I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Anjou Pear Soup, Perfectly Grilled Breast of Chicken, and Rhubarb Crisp as served on MS Prinsendam December 8, 2013.

Today’s care list:

RIP CruzinTerri neighbor Jane
lazey1 with post cruise Covid
Tana with pneumonia hoping for continuing results from new antibiotic
Cruising along severe flu
Otahand7 DB back in hospital but rehab continuing
From the rotation:
Granham upcoming appointments December 12 and 13
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy
Cruisin Terri leak damage

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Time person of the year Volodymyr Zelenskyy
Work in progress on Cruzin Terri’s house
Erewhon and lazey1 back on Cruise Critic
The end of the US Open Enrollment
Power back in Moore County
Quartzite Cruizer DH doing great at home
3 days for Seasick Sailor (Rotterdam 12/11 to 1/25/23)
2 days for Cruisin Terri (Insignia 12/10 to 12/28)
Lady Hudson (Enchantment OTS,  to 12/9), RedbeckBob (Nieuw Statendam to 12/17),   Dobiemom (Discovery Princess  to 12/10), Mister67 (Nieuw Amsterdam to 12/11) SusiekIslandGirl (Island Princess to 12/12)  StLouisCruiser  and Summer Slope (Volendam  to 12/17) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  Damcruiser (Nieuw Statendam  to 1/14/23), and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12/23) at sea

Roy

Roy, @Cruzin Terrineighbours name was Joanne, not Jane.

hope your skin issue is resolving itself.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

My current job is white-collar but I have been a member of the UAW. Immaculate Conception is outside my professional competence. I once sold a rather primitive digital camera on ebay by describing it as the digital equivalent of a box Brownie, that is, no settings to bother with, but I suspect that the day is for another sort of brownie.

I mentioned Willemstad yesterday when the Eurodam was there. I've never visited Curacao on a cruise but I spent a week there once. I didn't have a good camera with me, so there aren't many photos that I can upload.

AIDA cruise ship docked in St. Anna Bay outside my hotel. Larger ships use the Megaport, south of the Riffort.

1677488935_AIDAship.jpg.afa0f501b05d8c0c44075f22c18011cf.jpg

The Queen Emma Bridge lighted at night.

1699926195_Willemstadbridgeatnight.jpg.21b16f2d368604fffaa0cca2826442f2.jpg

Entry of the Mikve Israel-Emanuel synagogue, the oldest in the western hemisphere. It was founded by Dutch Jews coming from the former Dutch colony in Brazil after it became Portuguese territory.

1125049101_Snogaentry.jpg.07b4514ce35df1048359644c18f016d7.jpg

Interior of the synagogue. I happened to be there when there was a wedding, for which they light all the candles in the chandeliers.

1519628067_Snogainterior.jpg.73d0229387325392d1f442e957ebfe12.jpg

The former Reform synagogue, now housing government offices.

1059465225_WillemstadformerReformshul.jpg.76db7adb758ed920bfaefa4ec0094040.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 6

Happy Thursday!  I am off to see DB shortly.   The Care list has picked up.  So many things happening.  Prayers for the families of the lost firefighters in Schuykill PA.   @seagarsmokerand @lazey1I hope that you both can get over your Covid quickly.     @aliaschief It is good that they finally diagnosed pneumonia so you can begin to get proper treatment.  Hope they are loading on the antibiotics!  @HAL SailerI am so sorry to hear about the complications for your DSIL.   @Cruzin Terri I am so sorry for you for the loss of your DF.   Sincere sympathy.   

Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Reports @richwmn.   For Christians Immaculate Conception is a core part of our beliefs.   I love Brownies and I used to be a blue collar worker while I worked my way through college.   I graduated college with a lot of life experience.  Quote is OK.   @dfishThanks for the yummy tomato soup and crostini recipes.    Will pass on the tea thanks for doing these for us every day @summer slopeeven while on a cruise.   Chardonnay sounds oaky based on the butter descriptor.   DF and I have been to Willemstead twice and are returning there in 2024.  The first time was on the old Rotterdam in December 2019.   We had a new crew that joined the ship after dry dock.  We went home from that cruise and were sick for three months.   Five weeks into our illness China finally owned up to the plague they unleashed on the world.  Then our first post Covid cruise we went there on the Nieuw Statendam last February.  We had beautiful weather each time and got off the ship and walked around.  A lovely island.

Prayers for all on our care list, thanks for doing this for us each day @rafinmd.  Prayers for the people of Ukraine and celebrating Zelenskyy for his Time magazine award.  Prayers for Paul Weiland who remains left behind in Russia after the release of Brittny Greiner.    

Curacao flag 222.jpg

Freewinds Curacao 21822.JPG

Volendam Curacao.jpg

curacao iguana 22019.jpg

wall curacao 22019.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

Curacao is a great port but I've had a history at ending up in the crummiest berth. 

My first views of Curacao in 2013, first on the Crystal Symphony and then 36 days later on the Prinsendam, at the same berth, past the Queen Juliana Bridge.  The fuel tanks weren't just ugly, there was an corresponding olfactory component:

ourcuracao.jpg

I am due to return May 4 on Vision of the Seas, hoping for one of the better views then.

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Thank you Rich. for the penultimate single-digit Fleet Report and Daily of 2022.  We don't celebrate Immaculate Conception Day but owe a lot to our Blue Collar Workers.  I wonder if National Brownie Day is the food or the young Girl Scouts.  Curacao is a great port but I've had a history at ending up in the crummiest berth.  I like the Green quote.  I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Anjou Pear Soup, Perfectly Grilled Breast of Chicken, and Rhubarb Crisp as served on MS Prinsendam December 8, 2013.

Today’s care list:

RIP CruzinTerri neighbor Jane
lazey1 with post cruise Covid
Tana with pneumonia hoping for continuing results from new antibiotic
Cruising along severe flu
Otahand7 DB back in hospital but rehab continuing
From the rotation:
Granham upcoming appointments December 12 and 13
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy
Cruisin Terri leak damage

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Time person of the year Volodymyr Zelenskyy
Work in progress on Cruzin Terri’s house
Erewhon and lazey1 back on Cruise Critic
The end of the US Open Enrollment
Power back in Moore County
Quartzite Cruizer DH doing great at home
3 days for Seasick Sailor (Rotterdam 12/11 to 1/25/23)
2 days for Cruisin Terri (Insignia 12/10 to 12/28)
Lady Hudson (Enchantment OTS,  to 12/9), RedbeckBob (Nieuw Statendam to 12/17),   Dobiemom (Discovery Princess  to 12/10), Mister67 (Nieuw Amsterdam to 12/11) SusiekIslandGirl (Island Princess to 12/12)  StLouisCruiser  and Summer Slope (Volendam  to 12/17) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  Damcruiser (Nieuw Statendam  to 1/14/23), and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12/23) at sea

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy and for my inclusion.

Graham.

Screenshot_20221208_141431.jpg

Screenshot_20221208_141535.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 4

Good morning all. So many reasons today for extra prayers, for dailyites, family or friends and medical teams assigned to help them.

I baked brownies for my Wednesday ladies yesterday. Who knew I would be ahead of the game? Life starts to intrude close to the holidays so there were only three out of seven that were able to make it. We played skip bo and drank far too much wine lol.

have a great day. 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good Thursday Morning Dailyites!  I told DH last night i really wanted to go for a walk in the park this morning, it is still cloudy, not cold, in the 60's, and I realized around 2 a.m. our park pass had expired.

But I am going to bite the bullet, my blood pressure is up, my sugar is up, my mental state needs some wilderness.  So have a great day!  I will catch up later.

0d243006a154d1b91578a3f5c5c2c3b9.jpg

• Like 20
  • Haha 7

Good morning everyone. On a snowy day in Philly, 17 years ago, our youngest grandson cheeked in at a bit over 4 pounds. Today he is almost 6 feet tall.

We’ve been to Curaso several times and first heard about this island from my parents when they went on their first cruise. We went twice with another friend on CC and explored on our scooters while our hubbies ran to keep us with us.

Both my girls were Brownies and then Girl Scouts.

WOW. Britney was released today from a Russian prison. Great news for her and her family.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 24

@superoma the jury is still out.  Doing better but I don't think where I should be although it may just be the onset of winter now.

@HAL Sailer so sorry for the setback on DSIL.  Praying for the best and most compassionate outcome.

@1ANGELCAT so sorry about the 2 Line of Duty Deaths.  It looks like there will be mourning in both Pennsylvania and Maryland.

@aliaschief wishing you a quick recovery.

@Lady Hudson the Centrum looks awesome,  I'm probably out of step with RCI but I much prefer a centrum to the Royal Promenade.

Happy Birthday to @mamaofami's youngest DGS.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from a gloomy central Texas.  Our temperatures have not dropped below the mid to upper 60sF, and it is humid.  The sixties I can take, but do not like the humidity.  I grew up in dry, west Texas and have never adjusted to humidity.

Three interesting days today.  Hats off to blue collar workers without whom the world would not function.  I'll salute the lovely, chewy brownie, but also the Brownie camera, and the Girl Scout Brownies.  Both DDs and I were Brownies at one time.

And interesting quote.

Tomato soup with a grilled cheese sandwich sounds good.  I have a good tomato soup recipe for when I can find good tomatoes, otherwise it is Progresso tomato soup.  Today, though we will be having leftover chili and corn bread.  The drink sounds interesting, but we'll pass on the wine.

We have been to Willemstad, Curacao, twice on Rotterdam VI in 2020 on b2b Panama Canal cruises out of San Diego.  Both times we were docked in St. Anna Bay, which we thought was the best place to dock.

@RedneckBob  Great picture of the moon.  Thanks for thinking of the Brownie camera.  I'm sure many if not most of us had one growing up.

@1ANGELCAT  Our condolences to the families, friends and others with the New Tripoli station on the deaths in action of Zachary Paris and Marvin Gruber.

@seagarsmoker  Oh no on Covid still kicking your you know what.  I hope you get well soon.

@HAL Sailer  Melisa, the news about your DSIL is not what we wanted to see.  Sending positive thoughts for a good outcome tomorrow and for the skill and knowledge of her medical team.

@Lady Hudson  Glad the trip has been fun and uneventful.  Lovely picture of the tree.  Safe travels tomorrow.

@ger_77  Gerry,  wish your DGS a   🎂  VERY HAPPY 3RD BIRTHDAY!  🎈 for us.

@aliaschief  Bruce, just wow.  I'm glad they finally diagnosed the pneumonia, and I hope your doctor can give you the antibiotics to cure it soon.

@mamaofami  Carol, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your DGS.

Thank you all who posted pictures of Willemstad.  I'll go find my pictures to add to the mix.

Lenda

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4

Good morning Dailyites. Thank you all for your contributions to our Fleet report and Daily. 

Fervent prayers being said this morning for all on our care list. Our numbers are going the wrong direction. When I went to the dentist this week I found I have a cracked tooth that is part of my bridge. Scheduled an appointment after we get home. Bridge needs to be sawn, the bad tooth pulled, and start the long and winding road for implants.

Today will be fun. Couples pedicures then meeting Cav guys and wives for Christmas lunch. Tonight is walking our neighborhood looking at lights. There will be judges choosing which top 3 are best in show and we have cute prizes to hand out. (Christmas yard gnomes)

Wishing everyone a delightful day. Be kind.

image.png.1baf94238c02d5d012a17e2b4fb90415.png

image.png.ca6e5196c5bb5d57542e638315bc2aff.png

• Like 21
  • Haha 6

28 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. On a snowy day in Philly, 17 years ago, our youngest grandson cheeked in at a bit over 4 pounds. Today he is almost 6 feet tall.

We’ve been to Curaso several times and first heard about this island from my parents when they went on their first cruise. We went twice with another friend on CC and explored on our scooters while our hubbies ran to keep us with us.

Both my girls were Brownies and then Girl Scouts.

WOW. Britney was released today from a Russian prison. Great news for her and her family.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

image.png.aa68fe40e990c270c0f630724534729a.png

Happy Birthday to your DGS!!

• Like 19

We love brownies  here and they are baked often.We have police officers and firefighters in the family on active duty.I worry about them daily. The policeman killed last week in Yonkers by an unlicensed  16 year old driver was buried yesterday.I was sorry to hear about  the 2 deaths in @1ANGELCAT's part if the world and add my condolences.

@HAL Sailer,Melisa,so sorry your DSIL has more complications  and hope for the best tomorrow. 

And Bruce @aliaschief,  OH no.I hope you see a change soon from the meds.Sorry to hear of this complication.

My goodness, try to stay safe everyone. 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good cool morning, the rain has stopped. 
It is a sad morning in Schuylkill county Pa. Two firefighters were killed in a house fire yesterday afternoon near Tamaqua. Zachary Paris and Marvin Gruber both were volunteers with the New Tripoli station. FF Paris was also a career FF with Frederick county Maryland.💔💔

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

So sad.

Our condolences for all their families.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

We did a walk-about and also visited a cave when we were in Curacao in 2019.

P1070106.thumb.JPG.bc8eb30a217381e65f9546b00aec156f.JPG

P1070104.thumb.JPG.46f0f40321e1b70ba322d7f2a46c2df2.JPG

597302633_P1070121copy.thumb.jpg.6fb6d4a92b58e4d09ad51beb511635e6.jpg

Dushi can mean a few things in Papiamento: sweet or yummy food, a term of endearment for a loved one, or just saying someone is "hot".

P1070146.thumb.JPG.427ed6b22ae9a147f3bbfcd18f5d637f.JPG

Even the license plates had the colorful symbolic city line.

P1070155.thumb.JPG.ab7be8b9cacb0dbb08e967ee9989da61.JPG

P1070161.thumb.JPG.fe04bb58b035542f1dc7eefb25125a3f.JPG

P1070163.thumb.JPG.fc7c9ea978a6b2e00197167d5234312c.JPG

P1070164.thumb.JPG.77319e75fc0b4e108ebf16fe9eb01af4.JPG

• Like 23
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, HAL Sailer said:

I'm asking additional prayers for DSIL. Her infusion port has failed and could not be used at her last infusion.

Tomorrow, the doctor will remove and replace it. For that, she had to come off the high dose blood thinners she was prescribed for AFib and increased when her jugular blood clot was found.

Friday's procedure could be precarious. Will there be complicated bleeding? Will she have uncontrollable AFib? Will her jugular blood clot break lose?

At this juncture, I am drawn to pray for her medical team's wisdom and that my DSIL will be in God's tender care tomorrow -- whatever the outcome.

-Melisa

Sending you our prayers 🙏 for your DSIL  for tomorrow's op.

Graham.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends from the Atlantic Ocean and Volendam.  We are moving right along at 22 knots trying to get back on schedule after the low water problems of the Amazon.  It looks lovely outside.  DS and family are back in Michigan after spending 5 days in the Palm Springs area at a scouting event for soccer.  Hoping to get a full report from him soon though DH checks scores online, etc. 

Thank you Rich @richwmnfor Today's Daily and Fleet Report.  We appreciate it!  Thank you Roy @rafinmdfor documenting the highs and lows of our lives.  Jane @lazey1so sorry to read you returned from your cruise with the Covid virus.  Get well soon!  Terri @Cruzin Terrihave a great trip knowing your house is rapidly being put back together now.  And @Cruising-alongprayers that your severe flu is soon overcome.  Prayers for everyone on our Care list and cheers to those on the Celebration list. 

Willemstad, Curacao was port of the day last time on Sept. 18, 2021 and here is a link to Rich's post that day.  What a lovely port it is!

We've only been to Willemstad, Curacao twice, 2016 on our Westerdam Panama Canal cruise and in 2019 on our Rotterdam Western and Southern Caribbean cruise.  Such a pretty and interesting place!  

From our 2016 stop I took photos from the ship just before our late departure.  They really know how to highlight their unique city.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLpU-1DPktRJ-h7B9NeEjqD?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460124737

The Queen Emma pedestrian Bridge, also known as "The Swinging Old Lady".00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI8vzPMf5ZVkMxf-DE_yUmn?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460124732

Known for its colorful buildings of course00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIGiAwkQoCDJNR04u06KO3g?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460124500

This was my favorite color building and I had to compliment the man working on it.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKLK_8PfxBrKjLNIAqbv6Y_?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460124467

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLNaAgWvG4V67O_u_sIi1qr?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460124450

This was the view from our docking spot on the Rotterdam in February, 2019.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLS769uh8GoqCPt6OoCsjyu?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1551119935

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKb1gCJY7E0AdUmkl_fEvD2?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1551119944

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKIZWXfZxTF_jI4zEcUZh-l?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1551119954

We walked across the pedestrian bridge and then it began to swing to the side to make way for a ship coming through.  It went under the taller bridge behind it first.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKM7hG0CyT-BtSHhfm-dPbL?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1551120041

And there it goes past the Queen Emma bridge.  That's the Rotterdam in the background.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVInRR7K1hFMMKFzRQRi_tWf?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1551118345

More COLOR!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJtQZxUKTQXqu3NKhH-NPc9?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1551118356

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLAxycTHLTXttZql4J__IFX?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1551120066

Here's the local Love Locks.  Trying to keep them off the swinging bridge I would suppose.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIVU-8QNNHW9_1b9pFbTXHl?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1551120074

Heading back across the pedestrian bridge to our ship.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIz6aNm9IxqgY1F_ZdiZwK6?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1551120082

It would be great to be back in Curacao soon.  Unfortunately that is not one of the stops at the end of this cruise.  We are stopping in Aruba though after Barbados.

By the way, there are cases of Covid on this cruise.  One of the Ocean Bar Band is out with it so entertainment is a bit lacking.  Also a couple we met who are very careful about Covid transmission say their server at dinner is out and he is an important part of her dietary selections.  Hoping very much that they don't come down with it too.

Nice photos Sandi.

Graham.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Maybe it's a little early in the day for me, but when I saw Immaculate Conception Day, I thought - if that's today, howcome Jesus was born just a few days later . . . duh.  It's celebrating the conception of Mary and her birth 9 months later.  Need more coffee.

Definitely celebrate blue collar day; we appreciate those working the trades every day.  I happen to have a brownie mix that may just find it's way into the oven today.  It's time to start a bit of Christmas baking and brownies is a good way to begin.

Our temps have moderated again, with a morning temp of only -16C which means my face won't hurt when I go outside - yay!  Today I'm having lunch with a friend and colleague who has just announced her retirement date; I'm excited to see her again and can't wait to hear her plans for the future.

Prayers coming for so many today - @seagarsmokerand @lazey1get well soon; @Cruzin Terri sadness for your friend Jane's passing; @1ANGELCAT such horrible news about the loss of 2 firefighters; @HAL Sailer for your DSIL and her medical team as well.

A celebration as well, as our youngest DGS is turning 3 years old today - Happy Birthday Parker!  We can't wait to be with them in only a couple of weeks; he's a delightful child with a sunny disposition.  

I like today's menu suggestion, but will make a variation of it - we're going to have tomato bisque (fancy for:  I add canned milk to tomato soup), and grilled cheese sandwiches at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.  

Prayers for all who are hurting, cheers to everyone with celebrations happening.  Stay well, be safe.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Happy 3rd birthday Parker.

animated-happy-birthday-image-0089.gif.156a6101332730bcd0b4752a4f45232b.gif

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!  Prayers to all who need them!  

when I saw porch tea I thought of tea made by leaving it out in sunlight!

We have been busy-had potluck lunch and party last night.  I ate too much, so will try to make up for it today.

Best wishes to all!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all,

Today is my “Date with Dad” day. Then might meet up with a friend for lunch if she is able to get her car out of her garage where it is being held hostage by a broken door.

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you Rich. for the penultimate single-digit Fleet Report and Daily of 2022. 

@rafinmd Roy, you make me smile. You really do love numbers, don’t you?

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1