The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday May 19th, 2023

richwmn

4 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good morning, all! It’s good to slide back into the coffee and Daily morning routine. Yesterday was spent cutting the tent caterpillar nests out of the apple trees. That is NOT a routine I enjoyed in the least! 
We’ve never been to Loreto, even though DH’s brother had a place there for a few years. Somehow the timing never quite worked out for going with them. 
The nearly 8 month trip was amazing. My personal highlight was probably watching baby elephants play in the wild. Or skimming over the sea in a timber sailboat in Zanzibar. 
Happy Friday, everyone! As wonderful,as the world is, it’s sure nice to be home!

C86BD7A8-5D79-4B58-832D-C2323CD92D4B.thumb.jpeg.abac5cc8eb10bdb3e9bad30469773050.jpeg

Welcome home!

3 hours ago, lindaler said:

Thanks Rich and everyone. Two nights now I have not gotten a lot of sleep. It seems for no logical reason raccoons have decided that my deck is the place to be. They seem to like 1:45 in the morning but start the party about ten. I sprinkled garlic powder on the railings and it seems to have shortened their party. Hopefully they will find another place to spend their evenings. One of my alerts on my camera had one of them swinging from the camera and all I see is the fur glowing in the night light. They aren't even afraid of me. I open the door and shine lights at them and make lots of noise and they just sit on the kayaks and clap. Life is never boring.

My sister has a chipmunk that comes to visit her on the back deck.  He comes up and screeches at her and then runs away. I guess he doesn't want her there.

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!
Another beautiful day in the  PNW.  I overdid yesterday in the yard/garden.  Aching last night!  But most likely will do it all again today.  The back yard needs a lot of attention.  At least it helped me sleep very well last night. 🙂  

The closest thing to Boys and Girls Club that I'm aware of is the after-school program the grandsons attend a few days a week.  It really helps working parents and is fun for the boys.  I've had great vegetable gardens in the past, I don't have room here though.  So I have a few herbs planted and will get some tomato plants.  I agree with @RedneckBob's DW.  Not All Spouses Care About Racing 😉  

The quote is funny and not to be taken seriously IMO.  Will pass on the wine, but the drink sounds like a yummy dessert!  Will pass on the meal, the ginger and curry would ruin it for me although I'd try it if someone else made it!

Sandi @StLouisCruisersI hope you feel better very soon!

Jake @Crazy For CatsBon Voyage!

Laura @dobiemomI hope your eye appointment goes well and there's nothing serious going on.

Debbie @dfishI wonder if you could repost the recipe for the Tzatziki chicken?  I missed it, probably when we were in Yellowstone. Thanks!!

https://www.acedarspoon.com/greek-marinated-chicken-with-tzatziki-sauce/

tzatzikichicken4.jpg.8dddc18232f3ffce969025a82e9a386c.jpg

Yes, there is dill in the tzatziki sauce.  Just leave it out.

I used this one for the tzatziki sauce:  https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/tzatziki-chicken/

And this for the marinade for the chicken:  https://www.acedarspoon.com/greek-marinated-chicken-with-tzatziki-sauce/

tzatzikichicken2.thumb.jpg.8fa2fdef40e467fbf4a5f51ed1da1d25.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 6

Happy Friday to all!  I'm prepping my straw bales to plant some veggies, not a fan of Nascar, but I do like the Boys and Girls Clubs.  My niece volunteered for a while, and had a wonderful "little sister" that she made good friends with.  Our church body has a similar group called the Lighthouse.  They support neighborhood kids after school, and our church is opening a site soon.  

@StLouisCruisersI feel you with the GI issues, I've had something going on since Tuesday...need to stay close to a BR, so I haven't had my walk since Monday.

@grapau27Your food looks so yummy! 

@Denise TI can feel your excitement for your cruise to Alaska!  ENJOY!

@Crazy For CatsEnjoy your cruise!  Wish we lived close to a cruise port, that would make vacations so much easier, and more fun!  No airline worries would be great!

@GTVCRUISERYour pictures always look so fun!  

Have a great weekend everyone, cheers and hugs to all who need them! 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

Just checking in to say I'm feeling better this afternoon.  I went back to bed for several hours this morning.  I had lunch and have been working on more photo book pages.  Today I've only gotten about 2 1/2 pages finished but yesterday was a productive day with 7 1/2 finished.  There are only a few more days left of the Amazon River cruise so I should be finishing in the next couple of days.  Thanks to all of you for your concern.  

Ironically when I got up about 10 am there were a couple of WhatsApp posts from Twin and DB.  DB said he felt awful today and hoped some fresh air would help.  Twin said she had a sore throat and bad cough and fears she has strep which is going around in that area, and even within her family.  This afternoon she said she's doing okay, relaxing and reading.  DB has not replied to my queries on how he's doing.  Strange how all three of us felt terrible on the same day.🤷‍♀️

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

This afternoon she said she's doing okay, relaxing and reading.  DB has not replied to my queries on how he's doing.  Strange how all three of us felt terrible on the same day.🤷‍♀️

Especially since you haven't been together recently.

Roy

• Like 13

1 hour ago, ktbraun said:

Happy Friday to all!  I'm prepping my straw bales to plant some veggies, not a fan of Nascar, but I do like the Boys and Girls Clubs.  My niece volunteered for a while, and had a wonderful "little sister" that she made good friends with.  Our church body has a similar group called the Lighthouse.  They support neighborhood kids after school, and our church is opening a site soon.  

@StLouisCruisersI feel you with the GI issues, I've had something going on since Tuesday...need to stay close to a BR, so I haven't had my walk since Monday.

@grapau27Your food looks so yummy! 

@Denise TI can feel your excitement for your cruise to Alaska!  ENJOY!

@Crazy For CatsEnjoy your cruise!  Wish we lived close to a cruise port, that would make vacations so much easier, and more fun!  No airline worries would be great!

@GTVCRUISERYour pictures always look so fun!  

Have a great weekend everyone, cheers and hugs to all who need them! 

Thank you.

Sarah had the Rib eye steak.

Pauline and I had potato skins with garlic mayo dip.

Pauline had pasta and I had the Calzone pizza.

For dessert Sarah had an Affogato, Pauline had a Tiramisu and I had an Americano coffee.

IMG_20230519_173427.jpg

IMG_20230519_175634.jpg

IMG_20230519_175539.jpg

IMG_20230519_175419.jpg

• Like 17

Just a caution about air fryers. Yesterday afternoon we watched as 3 fire trucks with 15 firefighters, fire rescue, paramedics and 3 police vehicles raced down the street. 

An 11 year old boy,  coming home from school, smelled smoke in the kitchen.  He quickly shut the door and ran to a neighbor's to call 911. 

Thankfully the fire was quickly extinguished,  limiting the damage to one side of a duplex. It could have been so much worse.

The fire department suspects the fire was started thru the air fryer and recommends that air fryers always be unplugged after use.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 10

Good afternoon.  It is 90F with mostly sunny skies and a lot of wind.  Thunderstorms are predicted beginning after 4pm, and the radar shows what is supposed to be headed this way.  I'll believe it when it starts raining.  Even with our rain earlier this spring, our area is still considered to under drought conditions, and I can believe it with how dry the ground was today.  If we don't get a fair amount of rain today, we'll have to resort to turning on the sprinkler.  At least, I haven't hit any more sprinkler heads with the lawn mower  There is still one that needs work, but it is not a priority.

The yard is done, and I got everything I wanted to do except spraying the weed killer.  It was just too windy by the time I was ready to spray.  The wind did help when I was mowing, but the Texas sun is as strong as it is in Arizona.  It took a little longer to trim and mow today because I forgot to charge the batteries yesterday.  😡  I managed to do most of the yard by using some batteries until they died while others were charging.  Toward the end, I had to wait about an hour, so I took advantage of some down time reading and enjoying being outside.  It recharged my batteries, too.

5 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Very interesting photos Lenda.

As always I enjoy seeing your photos especially of places we have never been to.

As always, thank you, Graham.  Loreto is still a sleepy Mexican town, and I hope it stays that way.  When we first went to Cabo San Lucas, it was a sleepy fishing village.  Over the years, it has become a resort destination, and is not the same.  It's not bad, but not as laid back.  I liked the looks of Sarah's steak and Pauline's pasta.  That would be a difficult choice to make.

5 hours ago, lindaler said:

Thanks Rich and everyone. Two nights now I have not gotten a lot of sleep. It seems for no logical reason raccoons have decided that my deck is the place to be. They seem to like 1:45 in the morning but start the party about ten. I sprinkled garlic powder on the railings and it seems to have shortened their party. Hopefully they will find another place to spend their evenings. One of my alerts on my camera had one of them swinging from the camera and all I see is the fur glowing in the night light. They aren't even afraid of me. I open the door and shine lights at them and make lots of noise and they just sit on the kayaks and clap. Life is never boring.

Linda, I hope the racoons move on and you can get some sleep.  Years ago, when we lived in The Woodlands and fed our cats on the deck, we had racoons and one baby skunk come nightly to help clean the food bowls.  They were not afraid of the cats or the dogs, and one even treed one of the cats by getting in the tree below her.

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Just checking in to say I'm feeling better this afternoon.  I went back to bed for several hours this morning.  I had lunch and have been working on more photo book pages.  Today I've only gotten about 2 1/2 pages finished but yesterday was a productive day with 7 1/2 finished.  There are only a few more days left of the Amazon River cruise so I should be finishing in the next couple of days.  Thanks to all of you for your concern.  

Ironically when I got up about 10 am there were a couple of WhatsApp posts from Twin and DB.  DB said he felt awful today and hoped some fresh air would help.  Twin said she had a sore throat and bad cough and fears she has strep which is going around in that area, and even within her family.  This afternoon she said she's doing okay, relaxing and reading.  DB has not replied to my queries on how he's doing.  Strange how all three of us felt terrible on the same day.🤷‍♀️

Sandi, I'm glad you are feeing better.  It is strange that your DS and DB also felt bad today.

1 hour ago, Crazy For Cats said:

It really has been a quiet work day. I found some new flowers.  Tucker has been very clingy today.

20230519_131001.thumb.jpg.9dc9a2989560e358a0065efb9d457b51.jpg

20230519_131028.thumb.jpg.3b4038ea984a3f1fce83d64fb516feb3.jpg

Beautiful pictures of beautiful flowers, Jake.  I especially like the purple iris.

8 minutes ago, Tbay said:

Just a caution about air fryers. Yesterday afternoon we watched as 3 fire trucks with 15 firefighters, fire rescue, paramedics and 3 police vehicles raced down the street. 

An 11 year old boy,  coming home from school, smelled smoke in the kitchen.  He quickly shut the door and ran to a neighbor's to call 911. 

Thankfully the fire was quickly extinguished,  limiting the damage to one side of a duplex. It could have been so much worse.

The fire department suspects the fire was started thru the air fryer and recommends that air fryers always be unplugged after use.

Thanks for the warning.  Since I store my air fryer on another part of the counter from the outlets, I always haft to unplug it to move it after I'm finished cooking.  

Lenda

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

I grow a few vegetables but not a great number or variety. Cod with celery salad would be OK. At least today's pseudotini doesn't quite try to call itself a martini. I don't know the wine and I haven't been to Loreto.

The unveiling that I wanted to be a week ago took place this morning. It is a peculiar Jewish custom, after a burial, not to install a headstone for about a year, and when installed, a cover is placed on it that is removed in a brief ceremony. I know of no actual religious requirement for this, but it marks the formal end of mourning.

I hadn't realized that today it would be a combined burial and unveiling: the marker had been installed when the man's wife died, and his name and dates had been added earlier this spring, but he died in California and was cremated (which is unusual). His children brought the remains here when they could all visit together. If I had thought about it I would have remembered that there had been no funeral or memorial service. It was a rather long ceremony, because three sons, a daughter, and two granddaughters spoke.

I was close to him until he moved to California at the age of 96 to be nearer his children and grandchildren. He was over 100 when he died and mentally competent until just a short time before his death.

baklavatothefuture.thumb.jpg.2297b510ee12b114d661200525404459.jpg

• Like 19
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Sue and I were feeling kind of blah this morning as well.  We think it is the weather here - gloomy and rainy.  A visit from DS Mary Jo and her puppy Rita fixed us up.  

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

LOL yes I will 😉  

Sounds great (minus the dill) and I hope to make this tonight. Thanks!

Enjoy!

Well, I passed all the requirements needed for my surgery next Wednesday, so it is all systems go.  My doctor also took care of my Mom and Dad and today he mentioned how much he missed seeing my Dad wearing his hat with the feather on it.  

TheHat.thumb.jpg.e18c83140bfea2735601d1648d591f92.jpg

We still have the hat and I'm going to wear it in the next time I go. 

I am happy to say that @0106 Tina will be doing the Meal of the Day while I am in the hospital.  You will all be in good hands and no one will go hungry.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4

10 hours ago, dobiemom said:

I’ll only work for a few hours this morning then I’m seeing the doctor for my eye. Up until Tues, my vision field above the gas bubble was clear (not crisp) but now I’m seeing some opaque lines? Almost looks like a reflection or something. Hard to describe. I’ll be back later to report what the doc says. 

Good news: The macular hole has closed! 👏

So-so news (but not bad news): The opaque lines I see may be scar tissue from the cataract surgery. Which is kind of normal? The gas bubble may be pressing on it. After the gas bubble goes away, if it’s still there the ophthalmologist can laser out the scar tissue. 

Thank you everyone for the well wishes. 😘 

Edited by dobiemom
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 6

7 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

The closest thing to Boys and Girls Club that I'm aware of is the after-school program the grandsons attend a few days a week

There is a Bargreen Lake Stevens Boys and Girls Club on Lakeshore Drive. Here is a link to their website: Lake Stevens Club | Boys & Girls Clubs of Snohomish County (bgcsc.org)

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, dfish said:

Sue and I were feeling kind of blah this morning as well.  We think it is the weather here - gloomy and rainy.  A visit from DS Mary Jo and her puppy Rita fixed us up.  

Enjoy!

Well, I passed all the requirements needed for my surgery next Wednesday, so it is all systems go.  My doctor also took care of my Mom and Dad and today he mentioned how much he missed seeing my Dad wearing his hat with the feather on it.  

I am happy to say that @0106 Tina will be doing the Meal of the Day while I am in the hospital.  You will all be in good hands and no one will go hungry.

Debbie, that's good news you are cleared for your surgery.  And also that Tina @0106  will not let us go hungry while you are in the hospital.  There's nothing like a puppy to brighten a day.  Love the hat.

15 minutes ago, dobiemom said:

So-so news (but not bad news): The opaque lines I see may be scar tissue from the cataract surgery. Which is kind of normal? The gas bubble may be pressing on it. After the gas bubble goes away, if it’s still there the ophthalmologist can laser out the scar tissue. 

Thank you everyone for the well wishes. 😘 

Marcia, that is good news about the macular hole closing.  DH had to have the YAG procedure after both his cataract surgeries.  He said it is quick and painless, and it does make a difference.  It is also done in the office.

Lenda

• Like 20

Good afternoon everyone,

Not much going on this week for me, a couple of appointments but that's it. Low key week.

We have had rainy and cold weather here in addition to major smokey skies from the Canada fires. Weather air alerts/warnings all week. 

@Crazy For Cats Bon Voyage!!

@Horizon chaser 1957 welcome home, what a nice long trip! Can you tell me what tent catepillar nests are? They soundcreepy...😬

My thanks to all who contibute here each and every day; lots of contributors. I enjoy all of it.

Take good care and have a great weekend! 

Caron

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon.  Today has been an interesting day for me.  Managed to go for groceries today.  I can drive without glasses, but would feel more comfortable if I could wear them.  Oh well, I can do that in about a month!!  I only drive here in my little town and certainly wouldn't try to go to Grand Junction.

We visited Loreto in 2002 on the Random.  I loved that little town - at that time it was one of the cleanest and most charming Mexican towns I had ever seen.  Doing a Sea of Cortez cruise again would be something that I should investigate for the future.  Don't have any pictures to share, but have enjoyed the ones shared today!

It is somewhat cloudy today, so who knows if we will get some rain.  Just read that the Front Range is getting smoke from the Canadian fires.  So far, nothing here.  Surely hope that the fires are contained soon.  

Have a great evening, everyone.  I truly enjoy the contributions of all.

Mary Kay

• Like 22

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Well, I passed all the requirements needed for my surgery next Wednesday, so it is all systems go.  

Yippee - that’s great news 🙂 

1 hour ago, dfish said:

My doctor also took care of my Mom and Dad and today he mentioned how much he missed seeing my Dad wearing his hat with the feather on it.  

Love it!

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Thank you Tina @0106 for stepping up and helping out.

1 hour ago, dobiemom said:

Yippee 🙂. Excellent news 🙂 

• Like 14

2 hours ago, HAL4NOW said:

There is a Bargreen Lake Stevens Boys and Girls Club on Lakeshore Drive. Here is a link to their website: Lake Stevens Club | Boys & Girls Clubs of Snohomish County (bgcsc.org)

Thank you, good to know we have something locally!  But they live 40 minutes south in Kenmore (I wish they did live here though!)  

• Like 9

The meal of the day will be slightly delayed tomorrow.  We have to leave at 6:15 am to go to River's soccer game.  We are meeting them for breakfast first in Reed City and then drive up to Tustin.  So, we'll be touring parts of northern Michigan tomorrow.  Hopefully, I'll be home by noon.

• Like 15

@dfish that’s so encouraging! And you’ll be in good hands too😉. Send you blessings!  
@dobiemom Patience is paying off. Finally some better news. 

@ottahand7 I’ll have to check the map, I’m not familiar with that district. But the lakes are so picturesque. Again, 🤞for power and water!  
@aliaschief Love Barcelona! Busy times for you. You’re gonna need a vacation!  Stay well… 

m—

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

So my friends, I have had quite the day and it is very late to post. I went out to my father’s to take him shopping this morning and found him dead in the bathtub. He passed away some time yesterday (thur) according to the coroner. It is quite the process when someone dies at home, at least in Ontario. I called 911 of course, they pronounced, then the police showed up, then the coroner who gets to decide if there needs to be an autopsy, (not, he was almost 93), then the funeral home to remove the body. Late afternoon my sister and I went to the funeral home to sign paperwork. But, father, bless his heart, had prearranged everything. We will have a private committal service on Wednesday morning. So, asking for your prayers to get thru all this and them the estate stuff. 

i will put our family on the care list. I should be fine posting the lists over the next few days because I prep them at night. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 20

19 minutes ago, superoma said:

So my friends, I have had quite the day and it is very late to post. I went out to my father’s to take him shopping this morning and found him dead in the bathtub. He passed away some time yesterday (thur) according to the coroner. It is quite the process when someone dies at home, at least in Ontario. I called 911 of course, they pronounced, then the police showed up, then the coroner who gets to decide if there needs to be an autopsy, (not, he was almost 93), then the funeral home to remove the body. Late afternoon my sister and I went to the funeral home to sign paperwork. But, father, bless his heart, had prearranged everything. We will have a private committal service on Wednesday morning. So, asking for your prayers to get thru all this and them the estate stuff. 

i will put our family on the care list. I should be fine posting the lists over the next few days because I prep them at night. 

I am so sorry.........

• Like 6