The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday May 30th, 2023

richwmn

Today's sunrise is from my 2013 Blount voyage New Orleans to Saint Petersburg.  10 years ago today I woke up on the Grande Caribe and did the short sail down to Saint Petersburg:

dawn530b.jpg

Roy

• Like 26

1 hour ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good morning, all! We have hot weather coming next week, so I’ll wait until then to try  today’s drink. I’ve been to Alaska several,times, but never stopped at Valdez.

@kazu Happy Birthday, Jacqui!

Yesterday was our anniversary. DH took me out shopping, but eating at home is still a novelty so we picked up things to eat here. I heard back from the Dutch company that makes the Grand Voyage plates, and they confirmed that the plates are food safe and can be used as dinnerware. So we ate off our GWV plates for our anniversary! In the evening we walked to DQ and shared a banana split. This is an anniversary tradition for us.

Happy Tuesday, everyone. Let’s hope none of our BHB’s catch the kind of storm that Carnival ship did!😳

funny-belated-anniversary-wishes.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Happy Tuesday!  

@kazuHappy birthday!  Hoping you and Ivan have a fun day together!

@smitty34877Hoping all goes with with DH's surgery tomorrow!

I think I have some creative genes in me...I started teaching our grand-daughters how to crochet this weekend.  We've also worked on some quilts together.  We've  done lots of cookie decorating together also!  Lots of fun!   We were all together this past weekend at our lake house...many great memories there.  

I think I've tried a mint julep with fresh mint from the garden.  Have been to Alaska, but not Valdez.  @Denise TI'm enjoying her live from Alaska updates...wishing I was traveling with her! 

@Horizon chaser 1957Happy Anniversary, and many more.

Enjoy the rest of your day...Karen

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

@Horizon chaser 1957

3fd70c4469801cf6583758a9db429c76.jpg.e9d3407ef998aef21e51a1cf05011340.jpg

@kazu

HappyBirthday3.jpg.120da9a23201936f13d00f7291231f1c.jpg

@smitty34877 Lots of warm wishes for a safe and good outcome for your DH tomorrow.  

@ger_77 I hope the doctor can figure something out for your DH.  

We did get some paint samples, but are waiting until tomorrow to paint them on. It is way too hot out there to do anything right now. It was hard to find a true cranberry, but we think we came close.  We'll see what  you think after we do the paint swatches.  

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

We were in Valdez this past May.  Did you know it was farther north than Anchorage?  Explains the snow.  DH and I downloaded my pictures this afternoon from our cruise, so here goes.

Our first view is of a container storage area that the seagulls love, but after the builder found out that grain did not grow well up this far north, it is and has been an abandoned container.

image.thumb.jpeg.542a6b018333823cf19f928e30a13321.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.723edd21f3caee5d7f27fce0b5792665.jpeg

The air show that was happening was from the airport that was in the valley right behind the mountain on the left.

image.thumb.jpeg.4b1ba85148e54b373b16d837f86c3524.jpeg

Some working freighters came in to port right behind us-

image.thumb.jpeg.8c1b694e340a7aab60609db765cb5632.jpeg

DH asked why I took the next picture, I explained to him that it reminded me of a powdered sugar donut.

image.thumb.jpeg.2d9e551494598eb15553d9372cf9be4a.jpeg

The whole bay was surrounded by views like these-

image.thumb.jpeg.4c3b7e5b54e5afa99ac6fe45bd40c564.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b683c959468b56e159e796567cbac149.jpeg

DH checking out a carving outside the Valdez History Museum-

image.thumb.jpeg.7b9e225b2f6cdccc4a71265799f8d55a.jpeg

When we got back from town,  I saw the prettiest sail boat out in the harbor.  But I had to get on board, run around to the other side of the ship, and by then it was quite far away.

image.thumb.jpeg.24156623811327414dbcfae23910e377.jpeg

And a view from our departure.

image.thumb.jpeg.6dae23879d7bf55821c5ada3d64eb2d6.jpeg

.The town itself was pretty much a one to two story town, a quaint marina and the town was spread out along the water line, and about 4 blocks from water to the edge of town.  We visited the museum, which also had a great photography display, and we walked over to the visitor center.  Dan had told me that it was full of stuffed animals,  I thought he meant the type you purchase and snuggle up to, not the taxidermist type.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 6

24 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

We were in Valdez this past May.  Did you know it was farther north than Anchorage?  Explains the snow.  DH and I downloaded my pictures this afternoon from our cruise, so here goes.

Our first view is of a container storage area that the seagulls love, but after the builder found out that grain did not grow well up this far north, it is and has been an abandoned container.

image.thumb.jpeg.542a6b018333823cf19f928e30a13321.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.723edd21f3caee5d7f27fce0b5792665.jpeg

The air show that was happening was from the airport that was in the valley right behind the mountain on the left.

image.thumb.jpeg.4b1ba85148e54b373b16d837f86c3524.jpeg

Some working freighters came in to port right behind us-

image.thumb.jpeg.8c1b694e340a7aab60609db765cb5632.jpeg

DH asked why I took the next picture, I explained to him that it reminded me of a powdered sugar donut.

image.thumb.jpeg.2d9e551494598eb15553d9372cf9be4a.jpeg

The whole bay was surrounded by views like these-

image.thumb.jpeg.4c3b7e5b54e5afa99ac6fe45bd40c564.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b683c959468b56e159e796567cbac149.jpeg

DH checking out a carving outside the Valdez History Museum-

image.thumb.jpeg.7b9e225b2f6cdccc4a71265799f8d55a.jpeg

When we got back from town,  I saw the prettiest sail boat out in the harbor.  But I had to get on board, run around to the other side of the ship, and by then it was quite far away.

image.thumb.jpeg.24156623811327414dbcfae23910e377.jpeg

And a view from our departure.

image.thumb.jpeg.6dae23879d7bf55821c5ada3d64eb2d6.jpeg

.The town itself was pretty much a one to two story town, a quaint marina and the town was spread out along the water line, and about 4 blocks from water to the edge of town.  We visited the museum, which also had a great photography display, and we walked over to the visitor center.  Dan had told me that it was full of stuffed animals,  I thought he meant the type you purchase and snuggle up to, not the taxidermist type.

Nice photos.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Yesterday was our anniversary. DH took me out shopping, but eating at home is still a novelty so we picked up things to eat here. I heard back from the Dutch company that makes the Grand Voyage plates, and they confirmed that the plates are food safe and can be used as dinnerware. So we ate off our GWV plates for our anniversary! In the evening we walked to DQ and shared a banana split. This is an anniversary tradition for us.

A very happy belated anniversary to you two.  Loved to hear that the plates were safe to eat from, too 🙂.  

IMG_8794.thumb.jpeg.a44458f1425bc935410809407ae29ef8.jpeg

8 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

We will hopefully hear from the hospital,soon regarding time for the surgery tomorrow. DH is understandably nervous and this wait has been hard on him.He is very hard of hearing even with hearing aides and worries that he will not be able to communicate well. I will stay with him until they take him to the OR. My plan is to go home(8 traffic filled miles) and wait to hear. I assume he will be overnight in the hospital at the very least.

Hope you have heard and if not, hear very soon 🤞. My very best wishes for your DH tomorrow.  Perhaps you could ask the doctors to provide any and all instructions in writing if you aren’t allowed to  be there?

8 hours ago, dfish said:

I am happy to report that I am feeling almost 100% at this point.  My only complaint is the itching around the incisions, but that is normal.  So, we are all systems go here. 

Absolutely excellent to hear 👍. Good luck with the paint decisions.

7 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Yesterday afternoon DH had a call from his cardiologist's office saying they had a cancellation and could he come in this morning for an appointment - certainly!  So we're heading off to his appointment because he's been having an increase in the amount of angina over the past few months.  So much so, that yesterday he finally suggested we sign up a lawn care service for the year. 

I hope the appointment went well for your sweet DH and the doctors can help.  

So glad you are getting lawn care service.  It will help big time, I hope.

6 hours ago, Cat in my lap said:

we got back from world cruise 5/12 and have been busy dealing with water leak, and broken stove igniter and wine cooler. Also I was told I need implants for 2 teeth, so I’m getting a second opinion today.  But we are both feeling well!  And trying to lose the few pounds we gained on cruise.

Yikes!  That’s too many things going wrong all at once and no welcome home at all 😔. Hopefully they are easy fixes and maybe a 2nd opinion will differentiate from the first in your favour for your teeth 🤞 

2 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

The weather forecasters were correct.  We can smell the smoke from the fires in NB. I hope they get under control soon.

Sorry about that Jake - There’s smoke for sure between Nova Scotia’s and ours 😔 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

I just found out the time this minute. It is for 9. It will take a while even though the distance is short. Good that we got a morning spot.

@kazu, Jacqui, I made sure that that particular instruction was in his chart and the nurse who called said it was in large letters!! Thank you for your concern and kindness. 
Of course, I am finding this very stressful-much more so than my own surgery! 
Thank you everyone for your prayers and good wishes for us tomorrow. I am sure he will feel much better when he finishes this hurdle.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, smitty34877 said:

@kazu, Jacqui, I made sure that that particular instruction was in his chart and the nurse who called said it was in large letters!! Thank you for your concern and kindness. 

I should have known you would have done that.  Apologies.

1 minute ago, smitty34877 said:

Of course, I am finding this very stressful-much more so than my own surgery! 

Of course you are.  You have no control and surgery or hospitalization for the ones we love are more stressful than our own ♥️. Hang in there and my prayers that all goes well 🙏 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good evening friends!  We had a beautiful day to drive our 750 miles from DS's home in Michigan.  We made quite a few rest stops and of course ran into traffic issues in Atlanta.  What's new there?  So it took an extra 30 minutes.  But we arrived safe and sound, all is well at home, and everything is unpacked.  Laundry tomorrow.

Interesting today we had a brand new port.  We have not been to Valdez but I'm glad to see our Annie @marshhawk had some photos to share with us!  Way to go!  I do hope you are feeling just the teeniest bit better.  Who knows how long it will take to be negative again?  DH was 10 days but it can take even longer than that.  After 10 days you are probably safe to emerge from your self-imposed quarantine.  Hope your ferals return to your fold soon!

Happy Birthday Jacqui!!  @kazu I'm glad I made it in time to wish you birthday greetings on your special day.

Happy Belated Anniversary Laura and DH!!  @Horizon chaser 1957 

To Terry @smitty34877, good wishes and prayers for your DH as he gets his surgery tomorrow finally.  Hoping for quick healing and excellent results.

Debbie @dfish nice to hear you are feeling nearly 100% now.  The house painting will make a big difference I'm sure.  Your cranberry or burnt orange door color sound like very good choices.  Hope we can see photos.

Gerry @ger_77 I hope the cardiologist appointment helps with a plan for your DH.  Good luck!

Welcome Home @Cat in my lap from your WC.  I'm sorry to hear about all the trials and tribulations so far.  Lots to catch up on.

I also want to welcome Lorraine @cruising sister back from her wonderful cruise.  I enjoyed reading about it in your Live From.

@Denise T Glacier Bay is such a wonderful sight on the Alaska cruises.  I hope you enjoyed as much as you thought you would.  I'm enjoying your Live From, too.

Vanessa @JazzyV I hope you're getting over the jet lag and getting settled in at home after your wonderful cruise and vacay.  Looking forward to hearing more about it soon.

I'll have to do a little looking for reports on the Carnival Sunshine as I've been reading about it from everyone here.  Sounds like a wild event!

Thanks to all who contribute here, and to our regulars including Rich, Eva, Debbie, Tina, Dixie, and Ann.  This is the place to be each day.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Who knows how long it will take to be negative again?  DH was 10 days but it can take even longer than that.  After 10 days you are probably safe to emerge from your self-imposed quarantine. 

We got frustrated because we both were still testing positive after 12 days.  So DH asked his doctor, and she said that after 10 days we were safe to come out of quarantine -- she also said to stop testing!  lol.  I'm glad he asked, so we did stop.  Who knows how long it took, because we stopped at 12 days.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Good evening. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I try to be creative. not a mint julep person, and I watered my indoor plants yesterday. My daylilies look pitiful outside, but it's been very dry here I hear. True quote, although I've won a small jackpot once. Maybe on the meal and pass on the drink; yes to the wine if someone else is paying.

I've been to Alaska, but haven't been to Valdez.

Getting home was fun, NOT. We were to leave Germany 40 minutes late, but after we taxied out, we just sat there. Apparently the brakes were too hot, and had to cool off. So we left about 2 hours after our scheduled time, then spent about 7 hours in ATL airport. We finally got to PIT about midnight, but then they couldn't get the jetway attached, so we sat another 15 minutes. Home by about 1:30AM yesterday. I'm still battling remnants of the respiratory thing. I did get knee x-rays today, which showed bad arthritis, but no kneecap fracture. So it's likely hematomas causing all the pain. Steps are still hard. The lawn and shrubs are out of control; I'll try to start doing a little yard work, bolstered by ibuprofen tomorrow. But early in the day, as it's 80F+ these days.

I will have to go back and catch up on all the past goings on here.

@richwmn Thanks as always for the FR/Daily.

@superoma Great job on the lists, especially during this difficult time for you. 

@grapau27 Thanks for the explanations of the days.

@ocean sounds Very sad about the boating accident and the missing teen. Prayer for the family.

@kazu Awful about the fires. Ivan looks so content. Happy Birthday!

@Cat in my lap Sorry about the challenges that awaited you when you got home.

@cruising sister Welcome back! It sounds like you had a great time.

@cat shepard Belated Happy Birthday!

@smitty34877 Prayers for DH's surgery tomorrow, and his medical team. 

@dfish I'm glad you're feeling better. I broke down and turned on the upstairs AC, after a sweaty night last night, despite the ceiling fan. I did all the paint swatches about a year and a half ago, when I painted my house; sometimes it's hard to tell just which shade you want.

@Nickelpenny Safe travels!

@ger_77 I hope DH's cardiology appointment went well and they could make him feel better. 

@marshhawk I was sorry to hear about your positive test. Thanks for the Valdez photos.

@Denise T Glacier Bay should have been gorgeous to see. I'll have to catch up on your live posts.

@Horizon chaser 1957 Belated Happy Anniversary!

@StLouisCruisers I'm glad you made it home safely. 

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Be well everyone.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 8

1 minute ago, JazzyV said:

Good evening. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I try to be creative. not a mint julep person, and I watered my indoor plants yesterday. My daylilies look pitiful outside, but it's been very dry here I hear. True quote, although I've won a small jackpot once. Maybe on the meal and pass on the drink; yes to the wine if someone else is paying.

I've been to Alaska, but haven't been to Valdez.

Getting home was fun, NOT. We were to leave Germany 40 minutes late, but after we taxied out, we just sat there. Apparently the brakes were too hot, and had to cool off. So we left about 2 hours after our scheduled time, then spent about 7 hours in ATL airport. We finally got to PIT about midnight, but then they couldn't get the jetway attached, so we sat another 15 minutes. Home by about 1:30AM yesterday. I'm still battling remnants of the respiratory thing. I did get knee x-rays today, which showed bad arthritis, but no kneecap fracture. So it's likely hematomas causing all the pain. Steps are still hard. The lawn and shrubs are out of control; I'll try to start doing a little yard work, bolstered by ibuprofen tomorrow. But early in the day, as it's 80F+ these days.

I will have to go back and catch up on all the past goings on here.

@richwmn Thanks as always for the FR/Daily.

@superoma Great job on the lists, especially during this difficult time for you. 

@grapau27 Thanks for the explanations of the days.

@ocean sounds Very sad about the boating accident and the missing teen. Prayer for the family.

@kazu Awful about the fires. Ivan looks so content. Happy Birthday!

@Cat in my lap Sorry about the challenges that awaited you when you got home.

@cruising sister Welcome back! It sounds like you had a great time.

@cat shepard Belated Happy Birthday!

@smitty34877 Prayers for DH's surgery tomorrow, and his medical team. 

@dfish I'm glad you're feeling better. I broke down and turned on the upstairs AC, after a sweaty night last night, despite the ceiling fan. I did all the paint swatches about a year and a half ago, when I painted my house; sometimes it's hard to tell just which shade you want.

@Nickelpenny Safe travels!

@ger_77 I hope DH's cardiology appointment went well and they could make him feel better. 

@marshhawk I was sorry to hear about your positive test. Thanks for the Valdez photos.

@Denise T Glacier Bay should have been gorgeous to see. I'll have to catch up on your live posts.

@Horizon chaser 1957 Belated Happy Anniversary!

@StLouisCruisers I'm glad you made it home safely. 

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Be well everyone.

Welcome home! Sorry about the health issues.🙏

• Like 8

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Getting home was fun, NOT. We were to leave Germany 40 minutes late, but after we taxied out, we just sat there. Apparently the brakes were too hot, and had to cool off. So we left about 2 hours after our scheduled time, then spent about 7 hours in ATL airport. We finally got to PIT about midnight, but then they couldn't get the jetway attached, so we sat another 15 minutes. Home by about 1:30AM yesterday. I'm still battling remnants of the respiratory thing. I did get knee x-rays today, which showed bad arthritis, but no kneecap fracture. So it's likely hematomas causing all the pain. Steps are still hard.

What a long travel travel day, after the delays and jetway problems. Must have been exhausting,   Welcome home!

Hope your respiratory symptoms, and your knee improve soon!

• Like 7

Thanks for all the information today.

Had my 3rd Pfizer  booster yesterday afternoon, arm a bit sore today, not helped by the cat bumping  my arm on top of the vaccination site.

@kazu  Happy Birthday,  may you have many more   Ivan looks very contented.

@smitty34877  best wishes to your DH for  his surgery tomorrow.

@ger_77  hope the  cardiologist is able to help your DH.

@Horizon chaser 1957  Congratulations on your anniversary.

@JazzyV  welcome home.

@marshhawk  thank you for sharing your photos of Valdez.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

Good evening.  After a busy afternoon, I finally caught up on the Daily.  

@marshhawk  Annie, thank you for sharing your pictures of  Valdez.  It sounds like the town hasn't grown much since we were there in 1996.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I'm glad you made it home safely, but what a long day.

@JazzyV   Vanessa, what an ordeal getting home.  I'm glad your knee cap was not fractured, but sorry about the arthritis.

Lenda 

• Like 7