The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday August 29th, 2023

richwmn

We’re home.  

Serious rain in mid Georgia.  About a good 20 miles on I-95. Very slow going.  After that cleared, we were okay.

Glad to be home and I think I made the right decision to postpone the appointment.

Very relieved to be here.

We are watching the Weather Channel.  We are wondering if we will be in the storm surge.

Very scary but we have not received an evacuation order.

Will keep you updated.

Stay safe to all those in the path of this storm.

Terri

• Like 16
  • Thanks 7

45 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

We’re home.  

Serious rain in mid Georgia.  About a good 20 miles on I-95. Very slow going.  After that cleared, we were okay.

Glad to be home and I think I made the right decision to postpone the appointment.

We are watching the Weather Channel.  We are wondering if we will be in the storm surge.

Will keep you updated.

Terri

I'm thinking if you had not rescheduled Mayo might have closed early and cancelled your appointment anyway.  Welcome home.

Roy

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Most of my visits to San Pedro have been either embarkations  or disembarkations but in 2018 it was a turnaround day and port of call.  I spent the morning at the USS Iowa:

theiowa.jpg

bigguns.jpg

Bridge view:

bridgeview.jpg

Working my way up in quarters, first enlisted:

enlisted.jpg

The Executive Officer:

execroom.jpg

Finally, FDR spent some time on the ship and this is the Presidental suite:

fdrcabin.jpg

Crystal allows passengers to bring guests aboard at most ports and I had a couple of Cruise Critic friends over for lunch at the Trident Grill, Crystal's equivalent of Dive-In:

lunch0123.jpg

Finally @Copper10-8had alerted me to a fire boat in the San Pedro Harbor and I caught it on the way out to Maui.

lafireboat.jpg

Roy

Hey Roy; here's a better pic of LA City Boat 2, the "Captain Warner L. Lawrence" out of Fire Station 112 / San Pedro - Ports 'o Call. She's a 2003 Nichols Brothers Boat Builders 105' fireboat with lots of water canons

LA City Fire (Maritime Operations) Boat 2 Captain Warner L. Lawrence (FS 112 San Pedro-Ports 'o Call) - 2003 Nichols Brothers Boats Builders #9.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @richwmn.

Bats are interesting, as long as not in my house (BTDT); I did learn a lot about them at Carlsbad Caverns. I don't use much salt at all, only on eggs usually. I so wish motorists would be more considerate, like not running lights and using turn signals, among other things. Funny quote. I like the meal. Pass on the drink and wine. I left from the Port of LA on a Princess cruise to Hawaii - is that San Pedro? A great day for Brazil to celebrate.

Another nice day with a high of 83 and less humid. Tomorrow's high is only 73! After posting the Cares List I tried to go back to sleep, but jackhammering started shortly after 7AM. Then the doorbell rang and one of the workmen asked if they could use one of my electrical outlets briefly. I asked if the water was going to be off, and they said they were repairing the temporary street patch the water company left in June. I asked about my sidewalk and they said they'd fix that too. Yay! I had PT this afternoon, now I'm not sure what I'll do. BFF is in Myrtle Beach with our German friends; I've told him to be weather aware.

@StLouisCruisers Nice photos. A big congratulations on making 5 star mariner!

@Quartzsite Cruiser I sailed to Hawaii on the Golden Princess in 2012. When were you on her?

@kazu How nice that Ivan is doing so well after the shots. Good luck with the freezer. 

@Sharon in AZ Prayers for a peaceful transition for your DM's sister. It will still be hard for all, even if expected. 

@Denise T Sorry about the coffee table. Good luck with the MRI; adrenal "incidentalomas" are common and usually not a problem unless making hormones or malignant (hence the name, as they're usually found on scans for other things).

@rafinmd Thanks for the photos, especially of you and @Copper10-8 John. Nice sunrise.

@RMLincoln Prayers that your nephew stays safe; as well as for all in the storm's path. I hope people heed the evacuation orders, but there are always those who won't leave and then call for help.

@dfish Thanks for the recipes.

@Seasick Sailor That was so kind of you to offer to keep the two little dogs for your friend for 10 days; it'll be fun times at your house!

@marshhawk I'm hoping DH feels a bit better every day. Good for you for telling that boss no, and staying in sales, which makes you happier.

@Cruzin Terri I'm glad you're home. Better to be safe. 

@ger_77 That guy was lucky there were people on the plane with medical knowledge and willing to help.

@cunnorl That was quick for delivery of the new dryer.

@smitty34877 Doing some cooking with the teenager is a good bonding time. I'm glad things were a bit quieter last night. 

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

From the stateroom, leaving the Port of LA. The SS Lane Victory is an American Victory-class cargo ship used in World War II, the Korean War and Vietnam War. The ship was preserved in 1989 to serve as a museum ship in the San Pedro area of Los Angeles, and is a National Historic Landmark.

001-PortofLosAngelesfromStateroomBalcony.thumb.jpg.7ad6c3e6f499c0b4e786b06bb9a7f5f5.jpg

For Roy, passing Crystal Serenity as we leave port (2012)

007-PassingCrystalSerenityAsWeLeavePort.thumb.jpg.4827ef01f72923af952844aed8ed8d81.jpg

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, aliaschief said:

@RedneckBob How you doing? Are you in surge zone and having to evacuate? Just letting you know I’m thinking of you Bud. Stay dry, safe and damage free. 
Bruce

Thanks Bruce. We are ok. Not in flood zone. We are 42 feet above sea level and with Cat 5 storm the evaluation zone is a mile south of us even though we are seven miles from water!  I have been securing house for storm but maybe lucky again. Ready to fire up generator if power goes out. Just started having rain squalls. Will be back on CC once storm has passed.  As far as trees, mostly cypress trees which are really hard to kill; all other trees have fallen in prior storms or by lightning strikes.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, aliaschief said:

@RedneckBob How you doing? Are you in surge zone and having to evacuate? Just letting you know I’m thinking of you Bud. Stay dry, safe and damage free. 
Bruce

I just saw the post from @RedneckBob

Do we have any Dailyites in the Big Bend area? Officials are really concerned about Idalia, because no major hurricane has ever made landfall near Apalachee Bay before. Sigh. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 7

2 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

I have been wondering if @RedneckBob is in the mandatory evacuation zone in Hillsborough County. I am trying to remember if he is in the Coastal or low lying areas. I just hope he & DW are safe. 

Do we have any Dailyites in the Big Bend area? Officials are really concerned about Idalia, because no major hurricane has ever made landfall near Apalachee Bay before. Sigh. 

Thanks. OK!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

Good afternoon, 

It's a dull grey day here with rain in the forecast and we need it! We had thunder last night and a lightning caused fire the next county over. It's in a hard to reach spot but right on Lake Whatcom. 

Today DS and DDIL are coming for a bite to eat and we're going to get the Celebration of Life planned for DH. In addition I have some "son-do" jobs including filling the hummingbird feeders and loading up the recycling for me so I can stop tomorrow at the recycle center. 

5 days to the cruise and I'm making my lists and checking them twice (oh - wrong event, right?). I'm looking forward to the cruise and getting away and I'm a strong ornery soul (taught 6th grade for 32 years you know) so I'll be fine and when I'm not I have a nice SY cabin to retreat to and relax.

Have a good day everyone!

Karen 

• Like 26

4 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

Yes, sometimes I have difficulty breathing outside due to lack of oxygen at that attitude! 😳

I have Mountain Goats outside my house at a whopping 52 foot elevation! Just went out to get mail and we also have a visiting turtle in the driveway.

Intermittent rain here.

• Like 10
  • Haha 10

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Annie @marshhawk Interesting about the number of people with diabetes and adrenal tumors.  Thinking of my family, though, there's nobody who has had adrenal tumors, and every single person on my Mother's side has/had diabetes.  It would be interesting to look into though.

It would make an interesting study.  I don't know how long I had mine as it was found in a scan for back issues.  I kept wailing to my endocrinologist that I was gaining weight while cutting calories and exercising more and she just said I wasn't being truthful with myself about how much I was eating.  Turns out I had a lot of help from the cortisol.  The endocrinologist up here said I was classic Cushing's.  I could have posed for the picture of the body type. @JazzyV is right that most are found accidentally.  Many more people have them, but don't know because they don't cause a problem or no one ever checks for them.  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

We’re home.  

Will keep you updated.

Terri

Terri, I'm glad you made it home safely.  I hope you do not have go evacuate.

Lenda

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @richwmn.

Bats are interesting, as long as not in my house (BTDT); I did learn a lot about them at Carlsbad Caverns. I don't use much salt at all, only on eggs usually. I so wish motorists would be more considerate, like not running lights and using turn signals, among other things. Funny quote. I like the meal. Pass on the drink and wine. I left from the Port of LA on a Princess cruise to Hawaii - is that San Pedro? A great day for Brazil to celebrate.

Another nice day with a high of 83 and less humid. Tomorrow's high is only 73! After posting the Cares List I tried to go back to sleep, but jackhammering started shortly after 7AM. Then the doorbell rang and one of the workmen asked if they could use one of my electrical outlets briefly. I asked if the water was going to be off, and they said they were repairing the temporary street patch the water company left in June. I asked about my sidewalk and they said they'd fix that too. Yay! I had PT this afternoon, now I'm not sure what I'll do. BFF is in Myrtle Beach with our German friends; I've told him to be weather aware.

@StLouisCruisers Nice photos. A big congratulations on making 5 star mariner!

@Quartzsite Cruiser I sailed to Hawaii on the Golden Princess in 2012. When were you on her?

@kazu How nice that Ivan is doing so well after the shots. Good luck with the freezer. 

@Sharon in AZ Prayers for a peaceful transition for your DM's sister. It will still be hard for all, even if expected. 

@Denise T Sorry about the coffee table. Good luck with the MRI; adrenal "incidentalomas" are common and usually not a problem unless making hormones or malignant (hence the name, as they're usually found on scans for other things).

@rafinmd Thanks for the photos, especially of you and @Copper10-8 John. Nice sunrise.

@RMLincoln Prayers that your nephew stays safe; as well as for all in the storm's path. I hope people heed the evacuation orders, but there are always those who won't leave and then call for help.

@dfish Thanks for the recipes.

@Seasick Sailor That was so kind of you to offer to keep the two little dogs for your friend for 10 days; it'll be fun times at your house!

@marshhawk I'm hoping DH feels a bit better every day. Good for you for telling that boss no, and staying in sales, which makes you happier.

@Cruzin Terri I'm glad you're home. Better to be safe. 

@ger_77 That guy was lucky there were people on the plane with medical knowledge and willing to help.

@cunnorl That was quick for delivery of the new dryer.

@smitty34877 Doing some cooking with the teenager is a good bonding time. I'm glad things were a bit quieter last night. 

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

From the stateroom, leaving the Port of LA. The SS Lane Victory is an American Victory-class cargo ship used in World War II, the Korean War and Vietnam War. The ship was preserved in 1989 to serve as a museum ship in the San Pedro area of Los Angeles, and is a National Historic Landmark.

001-PortofLosAngelesfromStateroomBalcony.thumb.jpg.7ad6c3e6f499c0b4e786b06bb9a7f5f5.jpg

For Roy, passing Crystal Serenity as we leave port (2012)

007-PassingCrystalSerenityAsWeLeavePort.thumb.jpg.4827ef01f72923af952844aed8ed8d81.jpg

Vanessa, we sailed in Golden Princess on February 29, 2012.

Lenda

• Like 8

Just now, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Terri, I'm glad you made it home safely.  I hope you do not have go evacuate.

Lenda

Thank you Lenda.  So far I have heard nothing about evacuation..  i think there would be some notice on the TV or on the phone.  I have not heard a word.  So I am staying put.  

We are 8 miles inland from the inter coastal waterway where the Hilton Head Bridge is.  i think if anyplace gets a surge, it will be HH. We will see.  Tomorrow, the schools are closed and gov, offices.

i am staying put.

We evacuated once in the 22 years we have been here.  it was not fun.  My poor DBIL.  He was so confused.  He understood that there was a hurricane but thought we had to leave and go to the hurricane not away from it.  We went to Charlotte and it was raining very hard there.  He was so scared.  I really do not want to do that again.

Terri

• Like 11
  • Thanks 7

12 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Vanessa, we sailed in Golden Princess on February 29, 2012.

Lenda

We embarked on Jan 17, 2012. I had wondered if we might have been on the same cruise, but I see we weren't.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

I have Mountain Goats outside my house at a whopping 52 foot elevation! Just went out to get mail and we also have a visiting turtle in the driveway.

Intermittent rain here.

One of my next door neighbors was told by a County Official that his property - at 35 feet above sea level was the highest elevation in our subdivision. Wait until I tell him it is a mere foothill. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 16

6 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Heard from a young friend of ours - she and her husband were flying to Puerto Vallarta when a fellow passenger went into cardiac arrest.  She's an LPN and along with another nurse and with the assistance of a police officer also on his way for a vacation, got the young man into the aisle, performed CPR on him, and with the aid of an AED, were able to bring him back and stabilize him.  They deplaned in Albuquerque with a few others, as the medical equipment onboard was not sufficient for the number of passengers, so they were given the royal treatment that evening and flown to PVR the following day.  She has subsequently heard from the young man who had a pacemaker installed and he is doing well.  So glad she was on that flight and could provide life saving assistance!

What a great story, Gerry.  God bless your friend for helping the young man.  So glad he is good and reached out to her.

5 hours ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Enjoy your complimentary dinners at Pinnacle, Tamarind and Canaletto! We lost the special cooking class with aprons benefit after covid. 

LOL - assuming the specialty dining isn’t booked completely up with HIA for the decent hours.  We ended up using ours in Canaletto one night - most were booked until 9 PM on our last sailing.  I’m all for late dining but 9 PM is pushing it 😂 

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

I haven't looked yet today, but Jacqui @kazu after I sprinkled garlic powder around my pepper plants I didn't see any more stink bugs...🤞 I read that it's a deterrent.  

Yippee!  I  hopt it continues to work. 🤞 

1 hour ago, luvteaching said:

Today DS and DDIL are coming for a bite to eat and we're going to get the Celebration of Life planned for DH. In addition I have some "son-do" jobs including filling the hummingbird feeders and loading up the recycling for me so I can stop tomorrow at the recycle center. 

So glad you have their help ♥️ 

1 hour ago, luvteaching said:

5 days to the cruise and I'm making my lists and checking them twice (oh - wrong event, right?). I'm looking forward to the cruise and getting away and I'm a strong ornery soul (taught 6th grade for 32 years you know) so I'll be fine and when I'm not I have a nice SY cabin to retreat to and relax.

Oh so nice - an SY cabin.  Enjoy 🙂 

I hope you have the most fabulous time 🙂 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

It’s raining, really raining! And for longer than 10 minutes. I hope eastern Washington and BC get enough to slow down the fires.

Yay!

I hope your rain is headed this way too!  It's been cloudy all day and it looks like we got a little last night, but none yet today.    

• Like 11

It's raining here and it's more of the soaking drizzle than a hard rain. DS and DIL just left after a nice lunch and a good visit. We've got things fairly figured out for the Celebration of Life so that's good. Also DS filled the hummingbird feeders and my trunk with recycling so I'm happy. He's been a rock through this process (it's been 2 months now) and I'm so lucky and grateful to have both of them. Now to settle in for a hot cut of tea and maybe a bit of reading as it's just to wet to do much outside - and cool and gloomy!

Karen

• Like 21

Good evening!

We just had a bit of a deluge here.  Of course it came just after I put the meat on the grill.  We didn't have the beef kababs.  I did chicken instead.  I'm glad so many people liked the meal today.  Remember you can do the same or similar with chicken and pork as well.  @0106 Tina, my vegetable basket is well seasoned.  I use it a lot.  I love veggies on the grill.  Last night we had summer squash and zucchini on the grill.  Asparagus is good, too.  I do use the basket for brussels sprouts, broccoli, and cauliflower.  Oh, and green beans.  

Today was pamper day at the salon.  My tootsies feel so much better after a good soak, massage and scrubbing.  And I think I lost 5 pounds with the haircut.  That made up for having to put the check for property taxes in the mail.  

My niece, who lives near Sarasota, reports that they are at a relative's home in Tennessee to outwait the storm.  They weren't worried about damage to the house but didn't want to go through prolonged power outages with a toddler.  Joe can work from home, so they are in good shape.  

@Cruzin Terri I think you were really smart to return home.  If the storm follows you home we can hope it is greatly weakened by traveling over land.  

@luvteaching Karen, I hope this cruise is wonderful for you.  I am glad you got so much accomplished during your DS's visit.   Anyone who could teach 6th grade for 32 years must be strong and ornery!  

@Seasick Sailor Have you found a new calling in life?   Puppy sitting?   

@ger_77 What a story!  That young man was very fortunate, but it must have been scary for all involved.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

It’s raining, really raining! And for longer than 10 minutes. I hope eastern Washington and BC get enough to slow down the fires.

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Yay!

I hope your rain is headed this way too!  It's been cloudy all day and it looks like we got a little last night, but none yet today.    

38 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

& lightening & thunder here.

Oh no about the thunder and lightening 😞 

Well we now have rain too!  It started out as a slow drizzle, but turning into real rain now. 🙂  

• Like 13