The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday August 29th, 2023

richwmn

8 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Will you be posting during your cruise?

Only sporadically from ports if at all. We won’t have the ship’s internet package but I might be able to use Wi-Fi in ports, or use cell connection on my carriers’ pay-as-you go plan. DH will have the Global Travel plan on his phone do he can connect to internet get his eye pressure readings but it won’t help on the ship, only in ports. The modern way of life is not straightforward. 

Sending out comfort to you and your family. It’s a privilege to be with loved ones at the end of their lives but it’s exhausting. 
m—

Oh, and congratulations to Sandi and Dennis on 5Star! I’m sure we will be 4Star for eternity. 

Edited by RMLincoln
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone!

It isn't quite as chilly this morning, but it is nice and sunny.  We have thunderstorms forecast for this afternoon.  I am so sore from all the weeding and gardening the past few days.  I did get a lot done out there, but there is more yet to be done.  I'm taking today off and will resume tomorrow.  Today I am going to City Hall to pay our property taxes and then have pedicure and hair appointments this afternoon.  So, pamper day with some Aleve for the aches and pains.

@StLouisCruisers Congratulations on 5* status.  I am still a long way off on that.  

@Denise T I had my adrenal mass removed in May.  It had gotten to a size that the surgeon said it needed to be taken out.  In addition it was hormonal - sending out tons more cortisol than a person needs or wants.  It is important to keep an eye on it, although most are never discovered and never cause a problem.  

The drink sounds good to me.  I'll have to put that on my list of what I want to try next time I'm on a BHB.  I don't keep alcohol in the house, just an occasional bottle of wine.  I have one bottle now that my sister gave me a couple of months ago.  I'll get around to drinking it eventually.  

Today's meal was one of my favorites as a kid.  I remember watching my dad skewer the meat to put on the grill.  I especially loved the grilled vegetables.  Generally, the cooking method is the same for all.  What varies are the vegetables used and the marinade seasoning.  I know Dad used one heavy on the garlic and lemon.   https://www.aheadofthyme.com/souvlaki-beef-shish-kebabs/

souvlakibeef1.thumb.jpg.aee8c03de2a2540eea560065e6c7b726.jpg

This next one has a marinade that is more Greek than Italian and also uses tzatziki sauce for dipping.  We never had the sauce, but the marinade sounds more like Dad's.  They are using mainly peppers and onions for the vegetables.  We also used mushrooms and tomatoes.  The veggies were so popular with the family that Dad made extra skewers full of them for us.  https://www.mygreekdish.com/recipe/marinated-greek-beef-souvlaki-skewers-kabobs/

souvlakibeef2.jpeg.1f2b0a58826ae82cc359b9dde956e1a6.jpeg

This last one is a very simple marinade and sometimes they are the best.  It doesn't call for veggies on the skewer, but you can always add them in.  https://www.lecremedelacrumb.com/beef-souvlaki-kebabs-with-tzatziki-sauce/

souvlakibeef3.thumb.jpg.a56e1d8141b40117fc7e6d1d82337262.jpg

Enjoy!

Wishing all the Dailyites the best of days!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I texted with my cousin last night and my aunt probably only has a day or so before she passes. They have been giving her pain meds every two hours and said she was comfortable. My DM can’t believe it. It will be a blessing when she passes. My uncle looked so worn out. Thank you all for your prayers and thoughts. 

Times like this are so hard on the care givers and those that love the patient.  😔 

My prayers remain with you all 🙏 

41 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

BTW, I’ve been meaning to ask, well actually just comment —

have you all noticed recently how many threads get moved to other boards/topics?  It seems to be much more than usual. I know some are generic but a lot of posters don’t visit those other topics, like me.  Almost makes one hesitate to ask a question. 

I wouldn’t worry about asking a question if it is HAL related.  Those are not being moved.  There is one particular poster who, I swear starts a thread every day if not more.  Some of his have been moved or merged with an ongoing topic where he should have posted and when that happens, he just starts another thread on the same topic and it gets moved again.

So, it does make it look like a lot of threads are being moved.  And Roy @rafinmd is right - by the time they are moved the question has been pretty much answered.  

By the way, Sharon the Ports board is a good spot to visit if you are looking at doing any planning.  There is discussion on guides, hotels, etc.  Can be very helpful at times.

30 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

@kazu I hope your gasket installation goes more smoothly than our replacement sink hose from Kohler.  It was free because of lifetime warranty, just email a few photos.  Their directions sounded easy, just remove the old one and push the hose down the tube.  John tried a long time, for a while even the old one wouldn't go back down.  Finally he got the old one put back in place.  At least it works, it just leaked.  I guess it will get installed when we get a plumber out here, hopefully not for many years.   

Oh yikes!  I’m not above asking for help if I can’t do it.  Maybe I should in advance 😂 

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Dailyites. 

Thank you to all contributors. Rich, Vanessa, Ann, Debbie, Dixie.. and to Sandi and Lenda for the great photos.

Yesterday was busy and I don't know if I read or posted. I understand baby Murphy had a major setback? My prayers go out to her and her most likely exhausted family.

Prayers for Sharon's aunt that she passes peacefully. Going down the list of prayers and see @kochleffel took a tumble. Goodness I hope you are ok.

We have had Oliver about 6 weeks now. He is a smart little 1 year old. He tries very hard to help me do things like make the bed.. tugging and pulling on the blanket. Doing laundry.. grabbing socks from the dryer and running around the house. We have had Shelby, our neighbor little dog for 2 weeks while her mom and dad were in Africa. They come home today and will pick Shelby up.

Well, I did a crazy thing yesterday. My girlfriend (who is a pet sitter) came by in tears and said she totally forgot about a 10 day booking she had with 2 little dogs (Beans and Moji) while she's supposed to be on a house watch with dog while the clients are in Spain. So.. I volunteered to keep the 2 little ones for 10 days starting the 1st. It worked out calendar wise. The dogs leave the 11th, cleaning lady on the 12th, our (my stepson) comes on the 13th, leaves the 19th and friends are driving over from Louisiana on the 19th til 22nd. 

Congratulations to Sandi and Dennis on their 5 star!! 

image.png.07aa884a7a0ad0ef570735a021774f71.png

I do not know when we will get 5 star. Our upcoming 53 days may get us there.

Bats: Ewwww 

image.png.e063923fa7bce7db0f331398e81785d5.png

image.png.d2b90bc8abfc9bf0f340bb4feb111401.png

Living in a huge retirement community,  you'd better be a careful driver!!

image.png.c60a2b807affd4b3292f56f227cef792.png

image.png.23c57c90784921d2e1a0226f916cbf4d.png

Off to get my chores finished. Wishing everyone a blessed day. 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

Good Tuesday Morning Dailyites!  Temps is 74...I think the humidity is 74 too.  We had storms again last night by 7pm the sky was black.  I mean like the middle of the night black, so we had no sunset as we had the two previous days with rain.  Today is just cloudy.

DH got his stitches out yesterday.  An hour later he said how much better his eyes felt.  He just got up, and when I asked about the eyes, he said sore.  He did work yesterday, but I'm thinking that maybe being on the computer for 4 hours might have been too much strain. The doc did tell him yesterday that it can take up to a month before the eyes and lids get back to normal.

@Denise T You, @dfish and I are diabetics, type 2 and we all have adrenal tumors, wondering somehow if there is a correlation between the adrenal and the diabetes?  Just wondering.  My friend Shari, had the same situation.

Today I have a dentist appointment at 1, in a town that is about 20 miles from here.  Between the dentist and home is a great Thai restaurant.  I try to make my appointments in the mornings so that I can eat lunch at the restaurant, this time I am going to get to the restaurant early, eat lunch and then go.

When I get home, I go to work, and will work until 11 pm.  I am allowed to work overtime on the California campaign,  but not the Texas group, so if I work more than 8 hours a day with CA I get overtime.  But I will never be able to work more than 8 hours a day for them.  I got an email this morning  from my favorite boss that was asking if I was available to come back to work for him, and I had to say no.  I am finally doing sales!  And I am happy in the space I am in, even if I have to stay up past my bedtime.

I love bats.  They are such an important part of our environment. When I was in school in Switzerland, a bat flew into our room.  My roommate went crazy, and screamed, the head mistress showed up  and asked what the problem was, my roommate was Spanish, and didn't know the word for bat in french, and neither did I  so I tried to tell her, that it was a bat, but my translation was "mouse that flew".  She thought we were both crazy, and then it flew at her, and she understood.  Told us to leave the window open, the bad would leave... 

2996d79638f60fccf7308841f4b1a54c.jpg

7a5d5c50e7a46d54b18b6dd64958d2bd--kliban-cat-cat-illustrations.jpg

159514-Have-A-Nice-Tuesday.jpg?2

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 29
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, dfish said:

The veggies were so popular with the family that Dad made extra skewers full of them for

I appreciate all the wonderful recipes you post Debbie!  Kebabs are perfect the perfect summer meal for us; meat for DH, veggie for me.  I have used many yellow squash and zucchini on my kebabs this month.  I also parboil tiny potatoes and put them on my kebabs.  Sometimes, I get lazy and use my grill basket instead IMG_7773.jpeg.d554e4e435ec1069343c0ba3ce6620b6.jpeg

Thank you to everyone who posts port pictures.  I am lucky enough to be planning for cruises to South America and Norway.  The pictures are better than any guidebook.

Sending you peace, healing and all good wishes.  May your life be good.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.

I just cancelled my afternoon appointment with the Doc.  

I am coming back on Sept. 11 at 9 am.

I just cannot wait until 4 pm and then start home,.  It is not a good idea.  There are no earlier appointments.

Jim agrees with my decision.

Mayo closing early and not open tomorrow.

Will write more later.  Got to pack and get out of here.

Need gas and pick up wine (very important).

God bless,

Terri

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Bats are great at eating mosquitos, but not when they're in your house or cabin.  Just a couple of days ago it was reported that a rabid bat had been located in an area across the city from us.  When our dear departed kitty Punkin was alive, she frequently brought home bats for us, and 2 of them tested positive for rabies.  We had to self-quarantine her for 4 months both times.  I've always cooked using minimal amounts of salt; my Dad had a heart condition which meant he was on a low salt diet, and I just got used to it.  I always put the salt & pepper on the table for others to use and am not offended when they do.  Motorist consideration day - hmmm, that's a good one.

The morning started off dark - it's getting dark earlier in the evening, and later in the mornings already.  While the temperature is only 13C (55F), we're looking at sunshine (and smoke) and a high of 35C (95F), so the A/C will definitely be humming along today.  It's supposed to cool down over the next couple of days, but will head up into the 30's for the weekend, which will be nice for Labour Day weekend.

Heard from a young friend of ours - she and her husband were flying to Puerto Vallarta when a fellow passenger went into cardiac arrest.  She's an LPN and along with another nurse and with the assistance of a police officer also on his way for a vacation, got the young man into the aisle, performed CPR on him, and with the aid of an AED, were able to bring him back and stabilize him.  They deplaned in Albuquerque with a few others, as the medical equipment onboard was not sufficient for the number of passengers, so they were given the royal treatment that evening and flown to PVR the following day.  She has subsequently heard from the young man who had a pacemaker installed and he is doing well.  So glad she was on that flight and could provide life saving assistance!

@Live4cruisesI do hope your DH is recovering from his fall; that's frightening!

@kochleffel sorry to hear you fell - glad it wasn't more serious.

Saying lots of prayers for baby Murphy and all those around her.

@Sharon in AZ prayers for the gentle passing of your Aunt.

@StLouisCruisers congrats on achieving 5 Star status!!!!

Not a lot happening here today - have to head out to get DH some new shorts, as the ones he's been wearing are in their last season, and he'll need something presentable for our February cruise.  While we're out we'll stop at the Salvation Army thrift store, as I've got a couple of bags of clothing/towels, and a box of mismatched glasses and coffee mugs that I've been wanting to donate so others can make use of them.

I'll pass on the drink of the day, not a fan of ginger beer, would drink the wine if there weren't any reds around, and know I'd like today's menu suggestion.  I haven't made beef kabobs in ages, so will have to take a closer look at the recipes @dfish has provided for us.  Now that we've got lots of pork in the freezer, and because it's hot out, I'll have DH to grill up a couple of thick cut pork chops for us.  I'll make a batch of dilled potatoes and a side salad to accompany them and we can enjoy it all on the deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, especially those in the path of the hurricanes.  Cheers to all with celebrations today.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 34

Good Morning from a cloudy but warm day at the beach

Hope everyone in the storms path stays safe and damage minimal. We are out of the cone but expect winds and rain. We will move some patio chairs and tables. Not complaining.

My new dryer is scheduled to be delivered today. Yeah!! 

@StLouisCruisers  Congratulations on 5 star!  We are close, hopefully on the next cruise. Actually I liked reaching 4 star the best because of the free laundry. LOL

Extra prayers for that precious Baby Murphy and her parents. She certainly is fighting to live. 

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

@StLouisCruisersCongratulations on reaching 5 star!!

I'm with @cunnorl-on Carnival we are platinum, free laundry!  Which will make those 25 days on the ship so much easier! (I will never make diamond)

@ger_77How wonderful that your friend was on that flight, and saved that young man.  There are angels on earth everywhere. 

@dfishwe had greek for lunch yesterday, DH had souvlaki.  I asked him how hard would that be to make, and today, you gave us the recipe. Thank You!  About to print one of them out!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Most of my visits to San Pedro have been either embarkations  or disembarkations but in 2018 it was a turnaround day and port of call.  I spent the morning at the USS Iowa:

theiowa.jpg

bigguns.jpg

Bridge view:

bridgeview.jpg

Working my way up in quarters, first enlisted:

enlisted.jpg

The Executive Officer:

execroom.jpg

Finally, FDR spent some time on the ship and this is the Presidental suite:

fdrcabin.jpg

Crystal allows passengers to bring guests aboard at most ports and I had a couple of Cruise Critic friends over for lunch at the Trident Grill, Crystal's equivalent of Dive-In:

lunch0123.jpg

Finally @Copper10-8had alerted me to a fire boat in the San Pedro Harbor and I caught it on the way out to Maui.

lafireboat.jpg

Roy

Interesting photos Roy.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Woo-hoo!!  I just checked the HAL website to see if they'd updated our Mariner Society standing.  Thanks to generous counting of spending dollars due to Have It All, we are finally 5 star Mariners!  We are still a ways to go from Gold Medallion status though.  

Enjoy your complimentary dinners at Pinnacle, Tamarind and Canaletto! We lost the special cooking class with aprons benefit after covid. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  San Pedro is a comfortable port, with good facilities.  Sometimes we drive from San Diego to San Pedro for short cruises (one week) on Princess or Celebrity.   Parking is easy there for the shorter cruises.  Makes for a nice change.

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Woo-hoo!!  I just checked the HAL website to see if they'd updated our Mariner Society standing.  Thanks to generous counting of spending dollars due to Have It All, we are finally 5 star Mariners!  We are still a ways to go from Gold Medallion status though.  

Congratulations on 5 star!  

2 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

have you all noticed recently how many threads get moved to other boards/topics?  It seems to be much more than usual. I know some are generic but a lot of posters don’t visit those other topics, like me.  Almost makes one hesitate to ask a question. 

I have noticed this, too.  The problem with moving the posts is that not enough HAL passengers will answer the question, if it's somewhere else.  Seems like most are looking for information on how HAL handles various situations.  Oh well...

Thinking about those on the east coast, with another big hurricane.  Stay safe everyone!

DGD is back in school already, so things are quieter in our neighborhood.  We had a fun Harry Potter themed dinner here to celebrate -- with our very own sorting ceremony.  It was a lot of fun and DGD loved it.  Even though she's too young to read the books or see the movies.

Wishing everyone a pleasant day.  Prayers are with those having difficulties.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

It's so nice to read what everyone is doing.  This is a great thread with wonderful, caring participants.

Hubby and I went to a local farmers market this morning.  I got fresh corn, beans, peaches and potatoes.  I also picked up a jug of local maple syrup for our Sunday morning pancakes.   It's cool in the morning and we've got a chance of rain for this afternoon.

@dfish Thanks for the recipes, I think we'll have that one night this week.

@StLouisCruisers Congrats on making 5 Stars, I don't think we'll ever get there.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful day.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.We are having a NY in August  day with humidity matching the temperatures. I went to the grocery  store earlier and the people inside looked wilted.

Bats are fine outside the house. Encounters with them usually involve close proximity  to my hair.No!

We have not been to the port.The recipes look yummy but today is Taco Tuesday  here.Our teenager requested them last week on Tuesday and I like to make something he will eat enthusiastically.Lately he has taken an interest in cooking techniques  and we have had a few "lessons".I love spending  time with him as I get small amounts of info from him then. I found out last night that  there is a new girlfriend  and that football practice  is  going well.He is trying out for the QB position on the Varsity team.It is a huge urban school so competition  is fierce. 

We have nurses for both patients  coming today.Last night was calm with only a few wake up calls if short duration. 

I am thinking of all of those  living within the Hurricane zone.Please  be safe.I am glad Terri is going home today.Take care everyone. 

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!
It's a cloudy morning, 60 degrees and heading only to the mid 60's.  We must have gotten a little rain last night (emphasis on little).  Fall is in the air.

No bats for me, and I've been using more herbs and much less salt since my kidney diagnosis (funny  how even a tiny bit of salt tastes too salty now).   Motorist consideration is an oxymoron in this area.  It seems to be getting worse every day. 😞  

The meal today looks really yummy, I printed off the first recipe.  Hopefully we'll get at least a few more good days to bbq.  Yay on the NZ Sauvignon Blanc!  but I'll pass on the drink (ginger).  I think we've been to San Pedro, but not sure.

I haven't looked yet today, but Jacqui @kazu after I sprinkled garlic powder around my pepper plants I didn't see any more stink bugs...🤞 I read that it's a deterrent.  

Sandi @StLouisCruisers Congratulations on making 5-star!  I remember when we first started cruising I thought we'd never, ever make 4-star.  Little did I know that we'd be 5-star some day.  I underestimated our obsession with cruising! 😂

Annie @marshhawk Interesting about the number of people with diabetes and adrenal tumors.  Thinking of my family, though, there's nobody who has had adrenal tumors, and every single person on my Mother's side has/had diabetes.  It would be interesting to look into though.

• Like 25

Good morning again.  It was pleasant out when I started my yard work.  With the sun coming up later, I was in the shade most of the time I was trimming and mowing.  I didn't even need the cooling towel today.  Along with all that and blowing leaves and dirt off the patio and out of the port, it only took an hour.  With our drought, there is less and less to mow as only the areas that are watered are growing. 

After I finished with the normal yard work, since the front yard was mainly in the shade, I pulled more crabgrass.  The grass is getting to be mostly crabgrass free, so a lot of what I pulled is from the non-sodded area.  I figure if I can pull a little bit every week, then it might not move back into the Bermuda grass.    In less than an hour I filled another 33 gallon trash bag.  There is another weed similar to the crab grass that is a couple of areas, but it is almost impossible to pull.  I might try the "weed puller" later in the fall since our expensive weed killer does not seem to phase it.  I have a feeling the backs of my thighs will be sore tomorrow after bending over to pull the grass.  I thought about sitting or kneeling to pull the grass, but after fire ant attack last week, ruled that out.

3 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning and Happy Tuesday. I’m awake early and will try to go back to sleep soon. Seems to be my routine several times a week. 

I texted with my cousin last night and my aunt probably only has a day or so before she passes. They have been giving her pain meds every two hours and said she was comfortable. My DM can’t believe it. It will be a blessing when she passes. My uncle looked so worn out. Thank you all for your prayers and thoughts. 

Craig’s sister and DH left yesterday morning. We had such fun together. Sandra, his sister, always wants to know what I’ve been cooking lately and asks for lots of recipes. I showed her how I make my bread too. I’m quite the cookbook collector and I sent 8 home with her to borrow. She was trilled. 

The smoked whole chicken was a hit. The cherry wood chips were good but not strong enough so I ordered chunks for next time. The flavor was much better than the mesquite. DD’s SO likes mesquite so I think I’ll give my supply to him. He uses pellets. 

I like today’s meal suggestion and can’t wait to see what recipes Debbie posts. Today I’m making homemade pita and tzatziki sauce to have with meatballs and some other toppings like olives and grape tomatoes. 

I have been to San Pedro but just to board a Carnival ship. 

Robin @Live4cruises, how is Nicholas doing?  I have been thinking about him and praying for a quick recovery. 

Special prayers for Baby Murphy.

Thinking about Lou, Tana, Terry, Terri, Chuck, Annie, and everyone on the Care List. 

Have a great day everyone!

Sharon, I hope you aunt remains comfortable during her final days.  I'm glad the apple chips gave the chicken a nice smokey flavor.

3 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I've noticed that too.  @rafinmd Roy and @kazu Jacqui may be right in why they are moved.

3 hours ago, Denise T said:

Good morning and Happy Tuesday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Cooler and a little muggy today. This humidity is awful. Working in the office today. 

I am scheduled for an MRI on 9/11/2023. An adrenal mass was discovered in 2019 when I was hospitalized for gall bladder issues. No one was very concerned at the time. My doctor at my last appointment just wants to follow up with it. 

Last night, Fancy decided to chew on my coffee table. Luckily it is old and we have been considering replacing it. She does keep me on my toes. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Image result for tuesday cat memes

Denise, I hope the MRI shows the mass has not grown or changed.  Fancy chewing on the table remined me that our older DD used one of the end tables when she was teething.

3 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

Praying for Amazing for baby Murphy!  And for @Cruzin Terri appt at Mayo. 

I’ve been in and out of San Pedro a few times, more often out than in. The pictures make it look nicer than I remember!  But I do remember it being an interest industrial port, lots happening. 

@rafinmd Roy that change to Bayonne will likely affect how you return home, assuming by train. But you can get Amtrak in Newark. You might have to Uber up (north) to the train station (Newark Pennsylvania station). Or if there is reason to begin in Manhattan, the Newark Penn station has the PATH tubes under the Hudson, might not be easy with luggage although I know you pack light. This is all rather a nuisance, sorry for the complexity.  Drivers dislike going across the state line.  Maybe the ship will have a transfer bus into Manhattan but I’d think that’s unlikely, just to the airports usually, unless because of their change they are more accommodating. 

My niece is on her way to us now from NC, staying the night here on her way to NY for a few days’ break, returning to us Saturday. Then we all leave Sunday. I’m at the YIKES stage- when time is feeling short, piles are growing but nothing is packed. It’ll all happen.  

I was in a fog yesterday. I made a Key Lime Pie for tonight’s dinner with our guest but I totally forgot to separate the eggs (uses only the yolks) and then couldn’t understand why it took too long to set, and I may have overcooked it. I think I’ll make a proper one today. Put the other in the freezer, maybe bring it up to the grandkids, they can laugh about it with me!  We can enjoy it together for whatever it is. 

I have a nephew in Crystal River FL in Idalia’s path. He has a trailer home in a wooded, wet area. He’s been removing trees, I hope enough! Had one fall and damage his mom’s mini-pickup a few years ago but he was able to fix it. Blessings to all in the storm’s reach, all those evacuating, all the decision makers and all the rescue workers who will get emergency calls from desperate people who didn’t plan ahead. 🤦🏼‍♀️ May they all be safe. 

Blessings for all in need to healing, comfort or hope. 

Cheers to all celebrating milestones and accomplishments, Life is Good! 

Smooth travels to all away!  Especially our cruisers. 
Wondering about our ship… NCL Joy cancelled her Bermuda port this week (along with RCL Vision, Carnival Magic and one other) due to Hurricane Franklin but I don’t know where she went instead. She’s due back to NY Monday for us to board. I’ll assume she’ll be there until I hear otherwise. 

Thank you @JazzyV for capturing all our doings!  Everyone stay safe!  And thanks for being here. 
Maureen

Maureen, I hope your nephew and his place is safe from Idalia.  BTW, I once forgot to separate the eggs when I made a key lime pie.  When we ate it, the whole eggs didn't affect the flavor and made the pie creamier.  Now, I just use the whole eggs since I hate wasting the egg whites, and usually don't have a use for them when making the pie.  When I make the icing for my gingerbread cookies, I always make a key lime pie to use some of the egg yolks.

2 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Good Tuesday Morning Dailyites!  Temps is 74...I think the humidity is 74 too.  We had storms again last night by 7pm the sky was black.  I mean like the middle of the night black, so we had no sunset as we had the two previous days with rain.  Today is just cloudy.

DH got his stitches out yesterday.  An hour later he said how much better his eyes felt.  He just got up, and when I asked about the eyes, he said sore.  He did work yesterday, but I'm thinking that maybe being on the computer for 4 hours might have been too much strain. The doc did tell him yesterday that it can take up to a month before the eyes and lids get back to normal.

@Denise T You, @dfish and I are diabetics, type 2 and we all have adrenal tumors, wondering somehow if there is a correlation between the adrenal and the diabetes?  Just wondering.  My friend Shari, had the same situation.

Today I have a dentist appointment at 1, in a town that is about 20 miles from here.  Between the dentist and home is a great Thai restaurant.  I try to make my appointments in the mornings so that I can eat lunch at the restaurant, this time I am going to get to the restaurant early, eat lunch and then go.

When I get home, I go to work, and will work until 11 pm.  I am allowed to work overtime on the California campaign,  but not the Texas group, so if I work more than 8 hours a day with CA I get overtime.  But I will never be able to work more than 8 hours a day for them.  I got an email this morning  from my favorite boss that was asking if I was available to come back to work for him, and I had to say no.  I am finally doing sales!  And I am happy in the space I am in, even if I have to stay up past my bedtime.

I love bats.  They are such an important part of our environment. When I was in school in Switzerland, a bat flew into our room.  My roommate went crazy, and screamed, the head mistress showed up  and asked what the problem was, my roommate was Spanish, and didn't know the word for bat in french, and neither did I  so I tried to tell her, that it was a bat, but my translation was "mouse that flew".  She thought we were both crazy, and then it flew at her, and she understood.  Told us to leave the window open, the bad would leave... 

2996d79638f60fccf7308841f4b1a54c.jpg

7a5d5c50e7a46d54b18b6dd64958d2bd--kliban-cat-cat-illustrations.jpg

159514-Have-A-Nice-Tuesday.jpg?2

Annie, I'm glad Chuck got his stitches out yesterday, and I hope he didn't strain his eyes working four hours.  Good luck at the dentist, and I hope there are no surprises.

2 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good morning.

I just cancelled my afternoon appointment with the Doc.  

I am coming back on Sept. 11 at 9 am.

I just cannot wait until 4 pm and then start home,.  It is not a good idea.  There are no earlier appointments.

Jim agrees with my decision.

Mayo closing early and not open tomorrow.

Will write more later.  Got to pack and get out of here.

Need gas and pick up wine (very important).

God bless,

Terri

Terri, I was glad to see you will be starting early for home.  I'm sorry it will delay the appointment, but you will be safer driving early.  Safe travels.

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Bats are great at eating mosquitos, but not when they're in your house or cabin.  Just a couple of days ago it was reported that a rabid bat had been located in an area across the city from us.  When our dear departed kitty Punkin was alive, she frequently brought home bats for us, and 2 of them tested positive for rabies.  We had to self-quarantine her for 4 months both times.  I've always cooked using minimal amounts of salt; my Dad had a heart condition which meant he was on a low salt diet, and I just got used to it.  I always put the salt & pepper on the table for others to use and am not offended when they do.  Motorist consideration day - hmmm, that's a good one.

The morning started off dark - it's getting dark earlier in the evening, and later in the mornings already.  While the temperature is only 13C (55F), we're looking at sunshine (and smoke) and a high of 35C (95F), so the A/C will definitely be humming along today.  It's supposed to cool down over the next couple of days, but will head up into the 30's for the weekend, which will be nice for Labour Day weekend.

Heard from a young friend of ours - she and her husband were flying to Puerto Vallarta when a fellow passenger went into cardiac arrest.  She's an LPN and along with another nurse and with the assistance of a police officer also on his way for a vacation, got the young man into the aisle, performed CPR on him, and with the aid of an AED, were able to bring him back and stabilize him.  They deplaned in Albuquerque with a few others, as the medical equipment onboard was not sufficient for the number of passengers, so they were given the royal treatment that evening and flown to PVR the following day.  She has subsequently heard from the young man who had a pacemaker installed and he is doing well.  So glad she was on that flight and could provide life saving assistance!

@Live4cruisesI do hope your DH is recovering from his fall; that's frightening!

@kochleffel sorry to hear you fell - glad it wasn't more serious.

Saying lots of prayers for baby Murphy and all those around her.

@Sharon in AZ prayers for the gentle passing of your Aunt.

@StLouisCruisers congrats on achieving 5 Star status!!!!

Not a lot happening here today - have to head out to get DH some new shorts, as the ones he's been wearing are in their last season, and he'll need something presentable for our February cruise.  While we're out we'll stop at the Salvation Army thrift store, as I've got a couple of bags of clothing/towels, and a box of mismatched glasses and coffee mugs that I've been wanting to donate so others can make use of them.

I'll pass on the drink of the day, not a fan of ginger beer, would drink the wine if there weren't any reds around, and know I'd like today's menu suggestion.  I haven't made beef kabobs in ages, so will have to take a closer look at the recipes @dfish has provided for us.  Now that we've got lots of pork in the freezer, and because it's hot out, I'll have DH to grill up a couple of thick cut pork chops for us.  I'll make a batch of dilled potatoes and a side salad to accompany them and we can enjoy it all on the deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, especially those in the path of the hurricanes.  Cheers to all with celebrations today.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Gerry, how lucky that young man was that your friend, another nurse and a police officer were on the plane and could bring him back, and stabilize him.  I know your friend was relieved to hear the young man received a pacemaker and was doing well.

2 hours ago, cunnorl said:

Good Morning from a cloudy but warm day at the beach

Hope everyone in the storms path stays safe and damage minimal. We are out of the cone but expect winds and rain. We will move some patio chairs and tables. Not complaining.

My new dryer is scheduled to be delivered today. Yeah!! 

@StLouisCruisers  Congratulations on 5 star!  We are close, hopefully on the next cruise. Actually I liked reaching 4 star the best because of the free laundry. LOL

Extra prayers for that precious Baby Murphy and her parents. She certainly is fighting to live. 

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

Charlene, I'm glad your new dryer will be delivered today.  It was nice of your neighbor to not only dry your clothes, but to bring them back folded.  I hope you stay out of the cone.

52 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning.We are having a NY in August  day with humidity matching the temperatures. I went to the grocery  store earlier and the people inside looked wilted.

Bats are fine outside the house. Encounters with them usually involve close proximity  to my hair.No!

We have not been to the port.The recipes look yummy but today is Taco Tuesday  here.Our teenager requested them last week on Tuesday and I like to make something he will eat enthusiastically.Lately he has taken an interest in cooking techniques  and we have had a few "lessons".I love spending  time with him as I get small amounts of info from him then. I found out last night that  there is a new girlfriend  and that football practice  is  going well.He is trying out for the QB position on the Varsity team.It is a huge urban school so competition  is fierce. 

We have nurses for both patients  coming today.Last night was calm with only a few wake up calls if short duration. 

I am thinking of all of those  living within the Hurricane zone.Please  be safe.I am glad Terri is going home today.Take care everyone. 

Terry, I'm glad it was an easier night last night.  I hope both nurses have some ideas to help in the future.  It's good the teenager is comfortable talking to you and letting you know some of what is going on in his life.

Lenda

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Bruce, you stay safe too..

Thanks. We’re fine as we are not in path. We live in Northwest Florida (Panhandle) and will just have some rain, high surf and riptides. Rain band  should be arriving soon. We need the rain.

• Like 15