The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday October 20th, 2023

richwmn

Now that the weather has changed to cooler and wet I will begin my long anticipated project of clearing out 50+ years of national geographic. It was the first, and as far as I know, the only subscription my father ever bought. He started in the mid 50’s (we came to Canada in 1952) and only stopped in 2000 when I asked him to. As kids, my sister and I loved to read the magazine when it came in. Not  sure why I got to house them - he actually built bookshelves for me so I could display them - but it gave my girls a resource when they were young before the internet. All are in slipcases and in excellent condition. However, my research is telling me most have no value unless they are from the 1800’s or early 1900’s. In fact, I just read that the map inserts are worth more than the mags themselves. I think I will just page thru them for old times sake and then find a recycler that will buy them off of me even for a few cents a pound. I imagine i will come across some issues I wish to keep, thinking moon landing, things like that. Years ago I promised myself I would hang on to them until my dad passed away just in case he asked about them, so that time has come with his death in May. This Should keep me busy most of the winter! 

ps- in 22 years since 2000 he never once asked about the magazines! 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

Good afternoon from a sunny, warm and breezy central Texas.  Not much going on around here today.  As soon as I finish this, I plan to take my walk and check to see if we got any mail.  That just might be the high point of the day.

We received a starter jar of brandied fruit for a wedding present, which neither one of us really wanted to try.  After a couple of months of "feeding" it, by a joint decision, it was fed to the garbage disposer.

Truthfully, my first thought about today's port was Delaware, but having lived in and near that small state, I was pretty sure there was no Rostock in Delaware, but I knew we'd been to the one in Germany.

4 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

I remember when brandied fruit was all the rage.  We had jars of it on our kitchen counters and every week we added a cup of fruit and a cup of sugar.  It was disgustingly sweet and grew out of bounds.  I remember picking up the container and all and dumping it.  

It is a rainy day here in mid-Michigan.  We will be driving up to the Traverse City area for my niece's wedding tomorrow.  We're staying at a golf course resort as the rates were phenomenal compared to hotels in Traverse City.  The downside is that Sue and I are sharing a condo with our brothers and sister-in-law.  Not sure how that is going to work out.  Tonight we are going to a pre-wedding soiree in Elk Rapids.  On Sunday is a brunch at our sister's house.  

Today's meal is one I will gladly skip.  It comes from Bon Appetit and the paywall is up and running.  I got the message that the kitchen was closed.  I tried Epicurious and that kitchen is closed as well.  Sometimes you can find the Bon Appetit recipes elsewhere and sometimes  you cannot. Pinterest usually lists the ingredients, but not the directions.  I think I found the recipe, or something very similar, on this website:  Red Snapper Ceviche Recipe – Stiltsville Fish Bar

redsnapperceviche1.jpg.3ee04fddd0cd697f0580c887f1f49741.jpg

Here is a similar recipe for ceviche fans.  https://www.countryliving.com/food-drinks/a39298380/ceviche-with-corn-peppers-and-avocado-recipe/

redsnapperceviche2.thumb.jpg.d018c5c4ea744fcd55c6d785fa2de62a.jpg

@sailingdutchy

bon-voyage-card-vacation-illustration-headline-flat-mosaic-style-52335720.thumb.jpg.f30e1d8afb172dd7f2a363f21a71aa4c.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

Debbie, I hope you and Sue have a safe drive to Traverse City today, and a good time at all the wedding festivities.

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning and Happy Friday. Thank you for the Fleet and Daily Rich. 

It’s been warm lately and today’s high will be 99F, maybe it’ll get to 100F. Next week will cool down. 

I had my retina appointment Tuesday and all is okay for me to proceed with cataract surgery. Sure is good news. Craig has a 6 month cardio appointment today. His sister had back surgery Wednesday and is doing well. We leave in two weeks for San Diego. I’m meeting girlfriends for our annual Sisterhood reunion. We are staying at a Airbnb on Coronado. 

I will pass on the meal suggestion today. Not sure what we are having yet. 

Terri @Cruzin Terri, Venice might be colder than the other cities because of the dampness, especially at night and early morning. Sometimes not much sun gets in the narrow streets. We were there in October once and I wore sweaters with a jacket. We had been in Verona right before that and it wasn’t as cool there. 

Sandi @StLouisCruisers, my first thought was that DE meant Delaware!  🤣🤣. You can tell I’ve never been to Germany. 

Prayers for all. Have a great day everyone!

Sharon, that is good news you are cleared for cataract surgery.  I hope Craig's appointment today goes well.  I'm glad Craig's sister is doing well from the surgery.

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, Dailyites!  Thanks for all the news.  We have only been to Warnemunde, and I, too, wondered if there was a port of Rostock in Delaware.  One of my cousins who was born in New Delhi got into trouble at the US border once because his passport said New Delhi, IN, and the Customs officer said there was no New Delhi in Indiana!

I am feeling much better today, and have an appointment to get my hair cut this morning.  I seem to have lost a day, because I keep thinking it's Thursday.  Pat is on the phone with the doctor this morning for a BP check.  It has gone back pretty much to normal, but he keeps losing weight.  He thinks that is good, so he can eat whatever he wants on the cruise.  Unfortunately, whatever weight he loses, I seem to find!  

Bon voyage to @sailingdutchy and the others on Oosterdam!  We should have been there to join them, but will join the ship in Barcelona.  Actually I prefer Barcelona to Athens, so I am content.  Just hope our flights go smoothly, and Pat manages alright.  This will be a test drive for a month-long cruise in the Spring.  I know I am going to miss all the extra amenities that are on the Pinnacle ships, Dutch Cafe, Sel de Mer, even Tamarind!

Ann, I'm glad you are feeling better.  

1 hour ago, durangoscots said:

Morning. Sunny and warm here today. High will be in the 70's but cooler and wetter weather is on its way.... supposedly. I don't feel much like anything to eat and drink today (that may change). For some reason my stomach is a bit dicey.

Little new here. I am just plugging along. My Mother used to say that there were days when she got up thinking "today I have to face the day.... and on the flip side, the day has to face me". This is one of those days for me. Dogs and I will do bits and pieces with no real direction.

Take care all.... I am thinking of all of you. Just can't get my thoughts organized.

Susan

Susan, I hope you feel better quickly.

59 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Nice photos Lenda.

Thank you, Graham.

17 minutes ago, superoma said:

Now that the weather has changed to cooler and wet I will begin my long anticipated project of clearing out 50+ years of national geographic. It was the first, and as far as I know, the only subscription my father ever bought. He started in the mid 50’s (we came to Canada in 1952) and only stopped in 2000 when I asked him to. As kids, my sister and I loved to read the magazine when it came in. Not  sure why I got to house them - he actually built bookshelves for me so I could display them - but it gave my girls a resource when they were young before the internet. All are in slipcases and in excellent condition. However, my research is telling me most have no value unless they are from the 1800’s or early 1900’s. In fact, I just read that the map inserts are worth more than the mags themselves. I think I will just page thru them for old times sake and then find a recycler that will buy them off of me even for a few cents a pound. I imagine i will come across some issues I wish to keep, thinking moon landing, things like that. Years ago I promised myself I would hang on to them until my dad passed away just in case he asked about them, so that time has come with his death in May. This Should keep me busy most of the winter! 

Eva, that sounds like a daunting, but interesting task.

Lenda

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, superoma said:

Now that the weather has changed to cooler and wet I will begin my long anticipated project of clearing out 50+ years of national geographic. It was the first, and as far as I know, the only subscription my father ever bought. He started in the mid 50’s (we came to Canada in 1952) and only stopped in 2000 when I asked him to. As kids, my sister and I loved to read the magazine when it came in. Not  sure why I got to house them - he actually built bookshelves for me so I could display them - but it gave my girls a resource when they were young before the internet. All are in slipcases and in excellent condition. However, my research is telling me most have no value unless they are from the 1800’s or early 1900’s. In fact, I just read that the map inserts are worth more than the mags themselves. I think I will just page thru them for old times sake and then find a recycler that will buy them off of me even for a few cents a pound...

Maybe a library would like them? Maybe they don't even keep physical copies anymore and all are digital. 

Probably correct that the maps are what hold any value.

• Like 14

Good Afternoon, the gutter people were supposed to arrive around noon and work until 4.  One guy showed up around 8am and finished around 1.  I’m thrilled with how he tied the upper gutter drain spout into the lower level in the back.  Over the years both spots would ice up and cause issues.  I’m hoping this is the needed fix.  I was that happy with his work that I called the office and let them know I was very happy.  The guy on the other end said that he would pass along the praise to his manager.  
The house smells good with stuffed pepper soup cooking in the crockpot.

• Like 24

2 hours ago, superoma said:

You might want to check with an estate sales group. When my stepfather passed in 1997 my DM held an estate sale and his 20 year old magazines (I probably shouldn’t say the name) were one of the first things to go. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Haljo1935 said:

Maybe a library would like them? Maybe they don't even keep physical copies anymore and all are digital. 

1 hour ago, Haljo1935 said:

Libraries don’t want them. Have tried!

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

You might want to check with an estate sales group. When my stepfather passed in 1997 my DM held an estate sale and his 20 year old magazines (I probably shouldn’t say the name) were one of the first things to go. 

Great thought but only the old ones are wanted. In the 80’s 10 to 12 million magazines were printed each year. Currently there are 1.7 million subscribers still. Some of those might now even be digital rather than print. I have a few pre 1950 and will research those but I think the rest of them will be recycled.

also, the cost to ship would be horrendous. Each magazine weighs about 1 pound, 12 per year. Yikes! But thanks everybody for thinking along with me. Who knows, maybe somebody here knows somebody who collects. Stranger things have happened.

• Like 15

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

A friend of my DM used to give me brandied peaches in a jar at Christmas when I was growing up, and I thought I was very grown up, lol. It didn't have to be "fed"; never heard of that. The German fruit bread I make every year for Christmas doesn't use brandied fruits. I will salute chefs and UK waiters. Great quote. Pass on the meal (fish), drink and yes to the wine. I'll take Roy's meal. I haven't been to Rostock, although I've seen a good bit of Germany. 2 good days in history.

It's rainy and cool here, with a temp of 56F. There was about 15 minutes of sunshine at one point, now gone. Sunday will have a high of 50, but 70 on Tuesday! I had insomnia last night, I think due to the steroid shot, and was awake until shortly after 2AM. I think I'll take a benadryl tonight. I had some leg pain on waking up (probably 1/3 of what it had been) and tingling. I went to PT late morning and did fine, followed by a quick stop in the grocery store.

@sailingdutchy Bon Voyage to you and Martha!

@StLouisCruisers Best of luck to Ren and FC Dallas this weekend. It's nice that DS won't have to fly in this time.

@RMLincoln I felt weird about putting my name on the Care List, for some reason. Wow, your move is coming up fast! I do hope you can get some help. Your Spiritual Companioning group sounds lovely. I hope all the details that need to work out do so.

@Cruzin Terri Continued prayers that everything works out for you and DH.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Thanks for the photos. 

@Haljo1935 Sorry to hear about the port change, but the worst part is no notification and the continued selling of excursions. 

@dfish Safe travels tomorrow. 

@smitty34877 Continued prayers for you, Tana and the whole family.

@Heartgrove Great photos.

@Sharon in AZ I'm glad you got the ok to proceed with cataract surgery. I hope Craig's appointment went well today, and that your DSIL recovers well.

@Vict0riann Good to hear that you're feeling better today. 

@durangoscots Susan, I hope your stomach feels better soon. Maybe some ginger ale? That always helps me. 

@Crazy For Cats Jake, that sounds like a good job on the gutters. I'd like something like that, but my house has box gutters. The stuffed pepper soup sounds good; I have a recipe and will have to make some soon.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers to those Celebrating.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 7

15 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I finally found a school when we were leaving Virginia that would take about 20 years of National Geographic magazines, but only on the condition that the children were allowed to cut them up.  

I will Check with our local English school boards. That might actually be an option. 

• Like 11

I would say that our vacation has started. We drove down to Sandestin and had lunch at Tommy Bahamas. The food is fantastic. Being such a beautiful day we elected to dine Al Fresco. Half way through our meal every local second grader we’re on a field trip and their teachers decided the lawn next to our outdoors patio and table was their Al Fresco bag lunch spot.The quiet ambience immediately went poof! It was fun watching their vitality and joy.

So no need for dinner tonight.

No more procrastinating. Packing will be first on our morning agenda. B.

• Like 22

Good Afternoon Everyone,

Thank you for having DFIL on the cares list.  He has improved and was moved to a Rehab unit on Wednesday to work on getting stronger.  He will then move to assisted living.  He of course wants to go home but he is still too weak. (plus house has stairs up to bedroom and bathroom)  So with his dementia we are using the mantra "just until your stronger" and he in amicable to that.  The Covid weakened him, but really has put the dementia into a tailspin.  We knew that he really needed to move, but he had been fighting against it..........now it is out of his hands.

Hubby and I have really increased our discussions on when to down size our place, and make sure we are on one level so our kids don't have to sort through our "stuff".  You feel like your invading personal space when you start having to find things to take for Dad at assisted living (he still has things in drawers from Mom and she passed 10 years ago) trying to be helpful but not invasive.

We were getting a bed from the spare room to move to his assisted living apartment and went to get the sheets from the linen closet...............well after 10 years in the closet the elastic is all brittle.  So off to the store for sheets that fit that bed!

Hubby and I are off to the Oregon Coast for a few days next week!  It isn't a cruise but I can walk on the beach and smell the ocean!  We have some recommendations for a couple good place to eat and are just going to "chill".  His bothers will be able to help with Dad so we can get away.

Thanks again for all the kind thoughts and prayers for both Dad and now my FIL.  The past few months have been so full of worry for them.  But it has reinforced my "get my ducks in a row" plan.  I have most things of business already taken care of but my "stuff" needs work!

Have a great weekend!  Enjoy this beautiful fall weather!

Denise

• Like 25

Well, I am finally getting around to a sensible post.  I have learned that recovery from this bout of Covid isn't as easy as the prior one!!  I have been battling tremendous fatigue, which I guess can be a side effect.  (Please don't add me to Cares list again as this is just something that will pass). Didn't help that I spent a very restless night last night.

It is just beautiful here right now.  Clear skies, and just a hint of fall in the air, although it is supposed to get to 80 today!  Not sure how supposed 2023/2024 EL Nino will affect Western Colorado and the water situation.

@RMLincoln, I am "mentally" going thru your pre-move exercises with you.  I am truly sympathetic to your enhanced move date.  What you can get done is great, but don't stress too much.  The movers will do what you can't!!!!  When your move is complete, I am sure you will be happy with the result.

I got a card yesterday that stated that those who have Tricare for Life now are eligible for the Federal Dental and Vision coverage.  When I started to investigate, it turned into a website that locked me out.  Guess I will just keep my AT&T Dental coverage (which I pay for) and ignore whatever is being offered new!  Investigating all the possibilities drives me crazy, as if I needed help.

My continued prayers for all on the Cares List.  Wish it would decrease.  Also doing a happy dance for those who are celebrating and all the lucky cruisers.

Have a great evening!

Mary Kay

• Like 21

@Haljo1935 sorry to hear of your itinerary change.sadly these things happen before and during a cruise.   Do you just have a sea day or any substitutes?   
@Cruzin Terri I’ve found layers, with one being wool works well.  You can always buy a nice cashmere sweater in Italy. 
We enjoyed visiting Berlin from Watnemunde.   A fabulously interesting city and very sobering.  
@Overhead Fred fabulous sunrise!  Thanks for sharing such beauty!

Not sure why so many countries names are anglicized?  Couldn’t we just say Venezia, Firenze? …. 

@grapau27 probably just me, but I would much prefer seeing photos of your beach or local scenery.    I think I know your dashboard better than mine, lol!  

I personally don’t think it’s necessary or expected to like every post,  some times we just checkin quickly or not at all.    

My lovely thai dumplings

IMG_3157.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 5

1 minute ago, Haljo1935 said:

Changed to Split (Trogir) Croatia.

We thoroughly enjoyed both Split and Trogir.   Missing Olympia will be disappointing but cruises often stop there and it a train ride away from the port.  

Split can easily be explored without further transportation, Trogir is about a half hour drive.   I posted some photos when it was the port a few weeks ago.   I’m sure you’ll enjoy your stop,  

all the best!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Good evening, I hope everyone had a good day.

We went to Longwood Gardens today for membership day and to see the Chrysanthemum festival. It was really busy and there were a lot of kids there on school trips.

The centerpiece is actually 1 plant with over 1300 blooms. The garden railroad has a Philadelphia sports team theme. 
Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

IMG_1331.jpeg

IMG_1327.jpeg

IMG_1597.jpeg

IMG_1596.jpeg

IMG_1320.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 5

Good late afternoon!

It's been a nice, quiet day after our shopping trip to Costco.  The best thing about that is it was 100% paid for by a gift card we got for booking a cruise.  

My BFF finally got her flowers today at 4:30 and they are beautiful.  I was minutes away from calling FTD and demanding a full refund because they still hadn't been delivered. I actually wondered if I'd been swindled.   Also my friend Ronda is happily at home since yesterday afternoon.  So things are looking up!

@superoma I had the same dilemma when my dear Dad passed.  He had tons of National Geographics too, all decades old but not old enough that anyone wanted them.  

@Haljo1935 Split is a great port, we loved our visit there.  I know it's disappointing, but I hope you'll like Split as much as we did.

Gorgeous flowers @1ANGELCAT!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, CrabbyPatti said:

Good Afternoon Everyone,

Thank you for having DFIL on the cares list.  He has improved and was moved to a Rehab unit on Wednesday to work on getting stronger.  He will then move to assisted living.  He of course wants to go home but he is still too weak. (plus house has stairs up to bedroom and bathroom)  So with his dementia we are using the mantra "just until your stronger" and he in amicable to that.  The Covid weakened him, but really has put the dementia into a tailspin.  We knew that he really needed to move, but he had been fighting against it..........now it is out of his hands.

Hubby and I have really increased our discussions on when to down size our place, and make sure we are on one level so our kids don't have to sort through our "stuff".  You feel like your invading personal space when you start having to find things to take for Dad at assisted living (he still has things in drawers from Mom and she passed 10 years ago) trying to be helpful but not invasive.

We were getting a bed from the spare room to move to his assisted living apartment and went to get the sheets from the linen closet...............well after 10 years in the closet the elastic is all brittle.  So off to the store for sheets that fit that bed!

Hubby and I are off to the Oregon Coast for a few days next week!  It isn't a cruise but I can walk on the beach and smell the ocean!  We have some recommendations for a couple good place to eat and are just going to "chill".  His bothers will be able to help with Dad so we can get away.

Thanks again for all the kind thoughts and prayers for both Dad and now my FIL.  The past few months have been so full of worry for them.  But it has reinforced my "get my ducks in a row" plan.  I have most things of business already taken care of but my "stuff" needs work!

Have a great weekend!  Enjoy this beautiful fall weather!

Denise

Denise, I'm glad your DFIL is now well enpigh to be in rehab.   I hope he will adjust well when he adjust well to assisted living.  Enjoy your well earned get away on the Oregon coast.

3 hours ago, cruzn single said:

Well, I am finally getting around to a sensible post.  I have learned that recovery from this bout of Covid isn't as easy as the prior one!!  I have been battling tremendous fatigue, which I guess can be a side effect.  (Please don't add me to Cares list again as this is just something that will pass). Didn't help that I spent a very restless night last night.

It is just beautiful here right now.  Clear skies, and just a hint of fall in the air, although it is supposed to get to 80 today!  Not sure how supposed 2023/2024 EL Nino will affect Western Colorado and the water situation.

@RMLincoln, I am "mentally" going thru your pre-move exercises with you.  I am truly sympathetic to your enhanced move date.  What you can get done is great, but don't stress too much.  The movers will do what you can't!!!!  When your move is complete, I am sure you will be happy with the result.

I got a card yesterday that stated that those who have Tricare for Life now are eligible for the Federal Dental and Vision coverage.  When I started to investigate, it turned into a website that locked me out.  Guess I will just keep my AT&T Dental coverage (which I pay for) and ignore whatever is being offered new!  Investigating all the possibilities drives me crazy, as if I needed help.

My continued prayers for all on the Cares List.  Wish it would decrease.  Also doing a happy dance for those who are celebrating and all the lucky cruisers.

Have a great evening!

Mary Kay

Mary Kay, I'm sorry you are dealing with so much fatigue.  I hopr it eases soon.

1 hour ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good evening, I hope everyone had a good day.

We went to Longwood Gardens today for membership day and to see the Chrysanthemum festival. It was really busy and there were a lot of kids there on school trips.

The centerpiece is actually 1 plant with over 1300 blooms. The garden railroad has a Philadelphia sports team theme. 
Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

IMG_1331.jpeg

IMG_1327.jpeg

IMG_1597.jpeg

IMG_1596.jpeg

IMG_1320.jpeg

Thanks for the pictures of Longwood Gardens.  We always like going there when we lived in Kemblesville.

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Good late afternoon!

It's been a nice, quiet day after our shopping trip to Costco.  The best thing about that is it was 100% paid for by a gift card we got for booking a cruise.  

My BFF finally got her flowers today at 4:30 and they are beautiful.  I was minutes away from calling FTD and demanding a full refund because they still hadn't been delivered. I actually wondered if I'd been swindled.   Also my friend Ronda is happily at home since yesterday afternoon.  So things are looking up!

@superoma I had the same dilemma when my dear Dad passed.  He had tons of National Geographics too, all decades old but not old enough that anyone wanted them.  

@Haljo1935 Split is a great port, we loved our visit there.  I know it's disappointing, but I hope you'll like Split as much as we did.

Gorgeous flowers @1ANGELCAT!

Carolyn, I'm glad your BFF finally got her flowers.  I'm also glad Rhonda is home. I hope she continues to improve.

2 minutes ago, dfish said:

We are on beautiful Torch Lake.  Enjoyed the pre- wedding soirée tonight.IMG_2986.thumb.jpeg.06a7cdca983bef96f73d5cd6f094510e.jpeg

IMG_2985.thumb.jpeg.9d13c1bbbbaa2e3272d3cdac74baf24e.jpeg

IMG_2984.thumb.jpeg.21b7e82bc0c6fa2f2b3525086b8eb8f2.jpeg

IMG_2983.thumb.jpeg.d3cf38b7ccd675d701ad0018ca32eea0.jpeg

Debbie, thanks for the pictures.  Gorgeous scenery.

Lenda

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2