Sunday November 19th, 2023 -- The Fleet Report and Daily

richwmn

OK on the special days. No on the ziti and the cocktail. Garnacha/Grenache has been grown in the Finger Lakes but needs a longer season, so I'll suggest Teroldego from Red Tail Ridge Winery, which has a similar character. I have been to Argostoli, Kefalonia, on the Norwegian Jade in 2022, but can't locate pictures.

Our community interfaith Thanksgiving Service is this afternoon, and it's awkward. Both the synagogue and the mosque pulled out, so churches are the only sponsors. I will attend anyway.

Lovemankindnotpeople.jpg.3d0a4b2c83c1161abed7a5f6cb508751.jpg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 10

Good morning Dailyites. 

A beautiful morning. Very quiet, no wind, no birds?

Gerry, weren't we with you and DH on Rotterdam last year? This will be the 3rd holiday in a row on her. We also took the Hawaii/Tahiti cruise in Feb/March on Koningsdam but ya'll weren't with us then. 

Graham, happy Heavenly Birthday to your dad. Prayers for all on Vanessa's care list. I'm so happy to see so many Dailyites going on cruises! 

We will be traveling Thanksgiving morning from Austin to Dallas to FLL. I read where American airlines flight attendants were planning on a strike, and the weather looks grim in Florida for the Thanksgiving week. Just get us to the ship on time Lord!!

My step son is adopted and I hope orphans get a chance for a forever home with loving parents. 

Debbie the recipes today look great, and a comfort food for sure. I'm making ribeye, smashed potatoes and an asparagus salad tonight.

Love to all and asking for prayers for those in war torn countries. 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

Good morning everyone, thanks for the Daily and Fleet Reports @richwmn.   A great group of days, all well worth celebrating.   A wonderful quote by Hagen and a great day in history of the US.   I truly enjoyed David McCullough's book on the Lewis and Clark expedition.   Thanks Sandi for sharing Lenda's beautiful photos of today's port.   

The baked Ziti recipes look yummy, the cocktail looks like a good one for today's Lion's game.    I think today's Grenache based wine will be a good one.   Thanks @dfish, @summer slope and @cat shepard for finding these for us each day   

Prayers for everyone going through health issues especially so many orthopedic issues.   Prayers for your pain to go away.  I read that Annie is going to get oxygen which is excellent, now she needs to help Cuck out too.   Prayers for all in war zones through no fault of their own, Ukraine, Israel and the innocents in Gaza.   I pray that the hostages can be released soon.   @RMLincoln I am happy to read that you are beginning to get unpacked and settled.   

It is another beautiful day here.  Our drive through the country was fun and we stopped in a town near our favorite winery for Mexican and it was meh, although the place was pretty inside, more like a pub than a Mexican restaurant.   Then our favorite winery Modales was closed for a private event so we went and had a couple of Maker's Mark at our local Moose lodge and watched the Michigan Maryland game for a while.   It was rather a disappointing day of college football as most games were blowouts early until Maryland tried to get close to Michigan and then OK started to pull away from BYU.   So I switched to horseracing for a while.  Today I will finish the stock I made, cook raspberries for our pie and maybe get my pie crust made too.   Of course football to, so happy not to have to travel to watch our games this week.    Have a lovely Sunday!    Nancy 

• Like 27

Good morning from  Colorado City along I-20 where it is 56F.  It looks like the weather will be about the same as we head further west.  The bed in the motorhome was very comfortable for me, and I got a good night's sleep.

Men deserve their day too.  I'll honor all adoptees who were given a good and loving home including @JazzyV Vanessa and @ger_77 Gerry.  Women entrepreneurs also deserve their day.

The Walter Hagen quote is true, and one we should all remember.

The baked ziti with sausage sounds good, but won't be making it today.  We'll pass on the drink, but I would like to try the wine.

As you saw, we have visited today's port twice.  Sandi, @StLouisCruisers for posting my  pictures today.

Lewis and Clark took a huge risk on there western exploration of our country.

@kazu Jacqui, I'm sorry yesterday's weather kept you and Iavn inside.  Remember those driving by and your neighbors will see the lights from a distance, and not the installation up close.

@aliaschief  Bruce, I'm sorry you are not feeling well.  I hope you feel better soon.  I also hope the orthopedist can help with your knee.  Maybe all you need is a steroid injection. 

@RMLincoln  Maureen, I'm happy you are settling into your new home, and that the grandkids are helping.  Thanks for the good wishes gor a smooth travel day.

@Haljo1935  I hope the tummy crud is history before your flight Tuesday.  Great news your friend is willing to help with the luggage to save your shoulder.

@dfish  Debbie, safe travels to and from River's birthday party.  Thanks for the good wishes for our safe travels today.

@Cruzin Terri    🚢  BON VOYAGE, TERRI AND JIM!  🥂 🍾  

I hope you both have a wonderful and relaxing cruise.

Lenda

• Like 25
  • Thanks 5

Good morning from Lake Gatun, arriving an hour ahead of the predicted time.  Our return through the locks is planned for 1:30 to 4:00, subject to change by the canal authorities.  I moved around the ship for the ascent while it is still relatively cool, but will mostly do the descent from my balcony.

Roy

• Like 29

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work. And thank you everyone for being here!

Our last day at sea and guess what a topic of conversation is? Another cruise, of course! We have three booked for 2024, and a B2B Japan/Japan to Vancouver in 2025. Right before that we are in Australia to see my friend in Melbourne. Trying to decide between a HAL Auckland to Sydney or a RCCL Sydney RT to the South Island of NZ. RCCL is about half the cost and would also shorten the overall trip by about nine days. 

Sue and I have enjoyed the Venezia but could do more for their tagline “Carnival Italian Style.” I think that our cruise on MSC this past September scored higher. Of course that was a European market cruise and this was geared towards Americans. Different crowd to as we went to the Captain’s Q&A here on the Venezia with a bit more than a handful compared to a HAL Captain’s Q&A that was close to being full.

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

@Cruzin Terri Bon Voyage! 
@aliaschief Prayers for a path forward! 
@smitty34877 Safe travels, restful change of scenery, no worries!  
@Quartzsite Cruiser smooth day in the new RV!  

Blessings to all in need of healing, comfort, direction, hope. And especially all suffering through war!  Prayers for peace in our hearts, our families, our countries and the world!  

Smooth travels to all away!

Cheers for those celebrating, Life is Good!  

Grandkids coming to help today!  Glad we had a day to recover yesterday!  Onward!  
Maureen

Thank you Maureen.  Hope all is going well in your new digs.

Terri

• Like 16

53 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Honouring all the men in our lives, young and old.  In Canada we had National Adoption Day a short time ago, but I'm happy to celebrate it multiple times.  Women entrepreneurs deserve a special day, as there are so many who have created businesses and designed things that make our lives so much better.  

7:23AM and it's pitch black outside - if I didn't have a clock on my phone, I would have thought I'd gotten up about 6 hours too early.  We do have a reasonable temperature of only 0 (32F), and our high is expected to be about +9 (48), which for November 19th is unseasonably warm.  Never fear though, the thermometers will start heading down starting this coming week.  As I was looking through my FB memories this morning I see that on this day in 2010, we had a temp of -33C with the wind chill.   We have to be grateful for small mercies!

Also on this day 1 year ago we were settling into our seats for the first leg home from a lovely trans-Atlantic on the Oosterdam where we had the pleasure of meeting and enjoying the company of @kazu and members of her family,  @Seasick Sailor and her sweet DH, as well as so many more of our Daily family.  Great memories of all of you.

@Cruzin Terri Bon Voyage!

@marshhawkI do hope your breathing gets better with oxygen, and that Chuck's fall wasn't too serious!

A few things in the mix today - a bit of tidying up and dusting, as we're having my cousin and her husband in for dinner tonight.  They're in the process of building a new home in a small town about 15 minutes away and are staying at an Airbnb in another part of our city.  They've been so busy we haven't had a chance to get together with them, so they'll come over for a relaxing few hours away from the hammers, saws, wires, etc.   There's also the 110th Grey Cup Game (like your Superbowl) that will be televised, but since we changed our cable line-up, we no longer get the sport channels.  I'm pretty sure we can live stream it on the laptop, but if not, I can always check the scores from time to time on my phone.  We don't have a team in the game, so it really doesn't matter to us who wins this year.

The quote of the day is quite true, I know I'd like the drink of the day, and the wine with "crunch" sounds interesting!  I'd like the baked ziti and may make it another time, but tonight we're going to be serving lemon pasta with shrimp, Caesar salad, garlic bread, crudites, and peach pie a la mode for dessert at the dining table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, especially those in the midst of wars not of their making.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry 

Thank you Gerry

Terri

• Like 14

2 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Cheers to the first of you who shared your favorite wines with me! Don’t forget, if you have a wine you like that you would to share with all of us - just send me an email at annge3@gmail.com with its name or a picture of its label...

Just emailed you from my work email (@sasretailservices.com) as I am not able to access personal email from my phone.

If you don't receive it, will you let me know and I'll try again?

Thanks for doing this.

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from  Colorado City along I-20 where it is 56F.  It looks like the weather will be about the same as we head further west.  The bed in the motorhome was very comfortable for me, and I got a good night's sleep.

Men deserve their day too.  I'll honor all adoptees who were given a good and loving home including @JazzyV Vanessa and @ger_77 Gerry.  Women entrepreneurs also deserve their day.

The Walter Hagen quote is true, and one we should all remember.

The baked ziti with sausage sounds good, but won't be making it today.  We'll pass on the drink, but I would like to try the wine.

As you saw, we have visited today's port twice.  Sandi, @StLouisCruisers for posting my  pictures today.

Lewis and Clark took a huge risk on there western exploration of our country.

@kazu Jacqui, I'm sorry yesterday's weather kept you and Iavn inside.  Remember those driving by and your neighbors will see the lights from a distance, and not the installation up close.

@aliaschief  Bruce, I'm sorry you are not feeling well.  I hope you feel better soon.  I also hope the orthopedist can help with your knee.  Maybe all you need is a steroid injection. 

@RMLincoln  Maureen, I'm happy you are settling into your new home, and that the grandkids are helping.  Thanks for the good wishes gor a smooth travel day.

@Haljo1935  I hope the tummy crud is history before your flight Tuesday.  Great news your friend is willing to help with the luggage to save your shoulder.

@dfish  Debbie, safe travels to and from River's birthday party.  Thanks for the good wishes for our safe travels today.

@Cruzin Terri    🚢  BON VOYAGE, TERRI AND JIM!  🥂 🍾  

I hope you both have a wonderful and relaxing cruise.

Lenda

Thank you Lenda

Terri

• Like 15

Good morning all!

All good days today, I like rum so would probably like the drink, will pass on the red wine and the meal sounds yummy but for another time.  I'll be having my labs on Tuesday, so I must be good. 😉  The port looks lovely, thanks for posting Lenda's @Quartzsite Cruiser photos Sandi @StLouisCruisers.  It's one we haven't been to, but would love to see.

Not a good night's sleep last night, my mind wouldn't turn off. Maybe I can grab a nap today, but then I wouldn't sleep tonight....We made good progress yesterday on the Christmas gifts and starting the packing of the bags that will be forwarded.  Lots more to do, but we have a few weeks.  

My BFF tested negative -- hurrah!  So lunch tomorrow is still a go.  

Annie @marshhawk I hope Chuck is ok today after his fall.  

Bruce @aliaschief Sorry you aren't feeling well and also hope you can get some help with the knee issue.  You can't miss that cruise!

Bon Voyage @Cruzin Terri!!

• Like 24

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @richwmn.

I'll celebrate men 😜. Women entrepreneurs are fortunately more common. And a big salute to those who adopt, from an adoptee! Good quote. I like the meal (it's a staple of get togethers and weddings in Western PA). Maybe on the drink, and yes to the wine. I haven't been to Kefalonia Island. An important day in history.

It's sunny here, but we'll barely get above 50 later. Good football weather, although the Steelers are in Cleveland. Same old issues with me. I didn't go to watch the hockey game on TV with my UK friends. I was so tired from lack of sleep. I'm trying to do a bit of cleaning today, as my back/leg allows.

@Cruzin Terri Bon Voyage to you and Jim!

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for posting Lenda's photos.

@aliaschief Bruce, I hope you're feeling better today, and that your knee will not be a hindrance to cruising.

@Denise T Enjoy taking it easy this week.

@RMLincoln I'm glad you got a bit of rest. Enjoy the grandkids being there to help today.

@Haljo1935 Prayers for your GI issues to clear up before your cruise. 

@kochleffel Sorry to hear about the interfaith Thanksgiving service issues.

@Seasick Sailor Prayers that nothing interferes with you getting to the port on time. 

@ottahand7 I'll have to look into that McCullough book; he's from here and I've read several of his books. I met him many years ago. 

@Quartzsite Cruiser It's good to hear that the motorhome bed was comfortable. Continued safe travels. 

@rafinmd Enjoy the return through the locks; it's fascinating. I'd like to go through again.

@Cruising-along Great news that your BFF tested negative.

@marshhawk I hope your breathing is better today and that DH has no lasting effects from his fall.

@mamaofami Thinking of you and Sam.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers to those Celebrating.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 8

Good morning. Managed to sleep in this morning and the dogs cooperated. It must be the cold and damp weather. We are having a light rain/snow mix. Will have to time dog walks carefully. The dumpster is frozen shut. Hopefully it will thaw this afternoon.

Today's meal looks good.... but I will be dealing with my usual Sunday leftovers and working on that long "to do" list which needs to be done by the time I leave for San Diego. I am not doing very well on packing for the cruise.... still in the thinking stage and finding that some clothes I was planning to take no longer fit. Glad I have free laundry.

Soooo back to work. Best wishes to all.

Susan

• Like 21

15 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

We will start our return to the Atlantic very soon.  Somehow internet is down for both laptops (working on iPad) so I can’t pull up a link to the webcam.

Roy 

Here's the webcam link:

https://multimedia.panama-canal.com/Webcams/aguaclara.html

It looks mostly at the last chamber we will pass through at the Atlantic end.

Roy

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1