The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday, December 28th, 2023

kazu

It's 47° and will stay around that all day, dropping only to 43° overnight. Rain will resume this afternoon.

I wouldn't mind the soup but would want something with it. Actual dinner tonight will probably be lentil soup. I might like the drink. It should be no surprise that Nero d'Avola isn't grown in the Finger Lakes, so I will substitute Thirsty Owl Syrah. I haven't been to Dubrovnik.

I had a booking on a Celebrity TPAC that never took place. Before it was cancelled, I had some anxiety that my clothes weren't good enough for a cruise line that comes across as rather snooty, and that I wasn't sufficiently high-class. After reading RNB's post, I think that maybe I'm not sufficiently low-class. In any case, it's one of the reasons that I avoid the buffet on any cruise ship.

I need to pick up prescriptions, including one for an antibiotic that I'll need to store in a safe place and hope that I can remember on January 30 where that safe place is.

sandwich.thumb.jpg.02b5bf85ada1553d37ecfa8ba71dae34.jpg

• Like 17
  • Haha 11

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Jacqui! A light rain falling this morning and cooler temps are heading my way. But nothing like up North!

Vanessa praying that you find a path to relieve you from pain - soon! Thank you for keeping up with our happenings. 

Gym, Bindi walks, an airport run to pick up a friend returning from visiting her family for the Holiday, and the wrapping up the day celebrating the 2nd anniversary of my local wine bar opening. Hope the weather cooperates. 

IMG_2283.jpeg.27e459722ac1e0a3a59d458e438766cc.jpeg

IMG_2286.jpeg.83a682502df6bf9f8ce5fcbe1fa3c4bb.jpeg

IMG_2291.jpeg.61fe59575f8a824019d00f8cb46faea3.jpeg

IMG_2272.jpeg.363432ec3110be716f0dac0fdea29226.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Especially those suffering from debilitating pain and conditions. And those grieving the loss of a loved one. Terry, thinking of you & Tana. 

@dfish Debbie, praying that all goes smoothly tomorrow.

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Natale Verga Nero d’Avola

I used my secret decoder ring again. It is important to always keep it charged. Info on this red is a bit sparse, but consumers give it a good - very good review. It is certainly easy to find and priced to try. Online prices start at $7.99.

Wine Enthusiast 88

Made entirely with organically farmed Nero d'Avola, this offers aromas of dark-skinned fruit and scorched earth. The easygoing palate offers fleshy black plum, clove and black pepper alongside pliant tannins. Drink soon.

Note: This rating is for the 2017 vintage. 

Nice job decoding your wine selection today, Ann!  I noticed it was garbled again today.  

1 hour ago, kazu said:

good morning everyone.  A good collection of days - I think I will celebrate call a friend day.  I really like today’s quote.  Dubrovnik is a lovely spot to visit.  The walls are great to walk and the city within is very unique and nice.  The people are great!

Two wonderful days in history - Westminster and Mexico’s Independence.  I am sure my angel is celebrating the latter.  I decided to do all my possible errands yesterday while I was out and was grateful when the changed forecast came on the radio.

IMG_1787.thumb.jpeg.1fc851a355d5e1e067cd4070e8f5dd4e.jpeg

Forecast has now gotten worse with hours of freezing rain.  So, I’m heading back out to buy some ice prevention to put on ahead of time.  Will it work?  Some say yes and some no, but it’s worth a shot on my very sloped driveway.  (I have lots of ice melt - at least until tomorrow 😉).  

IMG_1725.thumb.jpeg.c7a38e4fd8b655ab20c670cee27bf307.jpeg

Thanks to Vanessa, Tina, Ann & Dixie for their contributions and all those that contribute.  Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, health problems, pain, grieving, worries & those that need them.  🙏   Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

IMG_1323.jpeg.7c4d1ff98dd4b5e4b5ddccf659ebc1c8.jpeg

Have a good Thursday everyone.

Love all your memes Jacqui!  I hope you can get the de-icer ahead of time and the storm isn't too bad!  Be careful!

1 hour ago, cruising sister said:

Good earlier morning,

I was up before 6 today. It is reminding me of when I worked and was up at 5:30 everyday. There will be a nap for sure today. 

Today’s quote was sad for me. It was a tough holiday and it hit me this morning when reading it. I  guess I am a little melancholy over doing this long cruise by myself. 

DS is coming over to do a few things to help me get the house ready. I have been sending things home with him for Molly so that Saturday the only thing to bring over is her. She has been glued to me and even laid in my feet when I was working at the counter yesterday. She knows!

My DGS has been attending Kids Strong this week. It is full of both physical and mental challenges and he loves it. He got the coaches award yesterday and was thrilled. IMG_5863.thumb.jpeg.bd2a260332ad71548c886c4dbe63d19f.jpeg

Prayers for our care list and have a great day. 

I'm sorry you're feeling low over the holidays Lorraine.  Stay strong and let's hope the cruise reminds you of all that life has to offer, even now.  Hugs to you!  Isn't it great having grandkids?  They bring us such joy!  Congrats to your DGS!!

34 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Stunning photos and commentary Sandi.

31 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Lovely photos Sandi.

Thank you Graham!  It was my pleasure.  (Those are my favorite words heard while visiting Chick-fil-A several times this week.  They have the nicest employees!)

28 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. It continues to rain on and off here with temps in the forties now. I soaked beans last night for my pasta and bean soup which can be similar to today’s recipe but more chunky. I will celebrate the days and have not been to the port.

@StLouisCruisers, Sandi, I am really enjoying pictures and commentary from your Antarctic cruise. Thanks for doing this.

@rafinmd Roy, when do the treatments begin? I am sorry you have to go through this but hope it will help the situation.

Not much planned for today except soup making followed by making something for dinner. I have been looking for something different to make as Intend to repeat the old standbys.

@cruising sister, I had the same reaction to the quote this morning.  It is a tough time of year for sure. 

Terry, I'm so glad you are enjoying the pictures and commentary from our Antarctic cruise.  I love seeing the amazing sights all over again, too.  Hugs to you while you experience this difficult time of the year.

6 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Good morning everyone. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Reports @kazu.    Prayers for the Holy innocents, yesterday a Greek Orthodox Church was hit in Gaza with two fatalities.  I will call some friends when we are sitting in Fort Lauderdale a few times next month, too much to do today.   I probably will download something today on my phone and delete it after viewing.   A great quote today.   I like Minestrone, I think we will have leftover Christmas turkey sandwiches.    Pass on the bitter cocktail and the wine sounds like a migraine.   Thanks in advance for the photos of Dubrovnik in addition to the ones Sandi posted.   Thanks for your photos of Antarctica Sandi.  We will have to go back and try to see in with some sunlight.   

@JazzyV I hope that you got some sleep last night and there is a plan coming together for treatment of your leg pain.   Prayers for everyone in our care list and those in war zones through no fault of their own, Ukraine, the innocents in Gaza and Israel.  Prayers for the safe return of the hostages.  @grapau27 I read the bad storm you had will be followed by a bomb cyclone so prayers everyone in GB and Ireland will avoid trouble.   

We are having our final full day at home and will begin our drive south to Fort Lauderdale tomorrow morning.  Our first stop will be Bowling Green, KY then the next night will be in Dothan, Alabama and our third night will be in Lake Nona, FL before getting to FL on New Year's Day.    We follow Sandi's advice and do not drive through Georgia on I-75.   It is a slower route but more relaxing.  Our only real traffic problem is Nashville and it will be a holiday weekend and early so it should be OK.   Last minute organizing of my bags and we will be ready to relax and watch some football today.   We will be doing a lot of listening on ESPN on satellite radio to get updates on the games.    Have a lovely day!   Nancy 

Great idea to go through Alabama, Nancy.  I told DH yesterday I wish we could find a route around north Georgia and then head over to our area south of Atlanta.  Even though it would take longer it wouldn't be the same old stop and go traffic on I-75.  Actually I was praying we could turn on our rotors and helicopter off the highway and fly home above all the mayhem.  😆  I hope you have safe travels!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, everyone.

Thank you so much to @0106 Tina for subbing for me.  Today is prep day for surgery. I will wash the sheets on the bed as well as pajamas so they are clean tonight.  I will take a shower with Hibiclens soap.  Depending on what time I report tomorrow, I may take another.  Soft foods today and I can't have any food after 8 pm.  I can have clear liquids, including black coffee, up to two hours before I report to the hospital.

I have to wait until 3 pm to find out what time I have to be there.  That is a major pain in the patootie.  It makes it difficult to arrange rides.  Sue can't take me because she has River and they don't want children in the waiting room.  I'm hoping for the 8:30 slot and not the 5:00 am slot. 

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 9

1 minute ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.

Thank you so much to @0106 Tina for subbing for me.  Today is prep day for surgery. I will wash the sheets on the bed as well as pajamas so they are clean tonight.  I will take a shower with Hibiclens soap.  Depending on what time I report tomorrow, I may take another.  Soft foods today and I can't have any food after 8 pm.  I can have clear liquids, including black coffee, up to two hours before I report to the hospital.

I have to wait until 3 pm to find out what time I have to be there.  That is a major pain in the patootie.  It makes it difficult to arrange rides.  Sue can't take me because she has River and they don't want children in the waiting room.  I'm hoping for the 8:30 slot and not the 5:00 am slot. 

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

Best wishes to you Debbie as you head in tomorrow for your surgery.  I know things will go well and you'll be good as new soon!  Appreciation to Sue for helping out and taking care of you when you get home.  And thanks to Tina @0106 for taking over the food report for you!  We appreciate it.

• Like 22

Good Thursday Morning Dailyites!  I got up early and read yesterdays Daily, as we did not get home until 1:30 from DH's test yesterday.  Turned out it was a PET scan with contrast, so it took a couple of hours. Then I wanted to get a gift certificate that I could not buy on Christmas eve, from the Vietnamese restaurant for our Vietnamese neighbors.  When I got home, I went immediately to work, took my one hour break, and went back to work. 

DH's results were on his portal last night, but after looking at the results, he decided to close the portal and talk with his oncologist next week. 

We had dinner, Echrich beef sausage and beans...very fancy.  LOL, and then found the Death in Paradise Christmas movie on Britbox.  We enjoyed it.  I had been waiting for it to drop onto Britbox.

Today is walk the dog, and grocery shop, and then work.  

And then...after work...I will be off for 4 days!  yay!

we are not partying people, so we are planning for a quiet New Years Eve weekend.  I still have Christmas movies to watch...I say quiet, but in this hood, we get lots of fireworks and lots of gunfire.  We dont go outside , because what goes up, must come down.  Personally, I'm praying for a nice heavy rain storm.  For my neighborhood, not yours.  

Computer says it is 39 degrees and now it shows, temps to drop.  Bubbles enjoys the porch, and then after so many hours, he wants out, then disappears for two days.  Then he comes back, gets on the porch, stays for the night, and then takes off for two days.  The heater is on for him, he came back last night, and except for eating, he has not moved. 

@StLouisCruisers I am enjoying your Antarctic pictures.  Even though the heat is on in the house, it is not warm, feels like I'm there!

image.thumb.png.35879d11b1736609dbbecdddf153fd07.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Good morning to all.

Thank you @kazu Jacqui for stepping up and taking care of the FR/Daily in Rich’s absence.  Thank you to @JazzyV Vanessa for your dedication to the Cares and Celebrations list in spite of your pain.  You are in my daily prayers and I hope you get some relief soon.

(By the way, please remove me from the list)

Thank you to Tina, @0106 for filling in for Debbie during her surgery, and to Ann @cat shepard and Dixie @summer slope so that we all are fed and hydrated each day.

Debbie @dfish  Prayers that your surgery is successful and you have an easy recuperation.  

Prayers always for @smitty34877 Terry and Tana, as you try to keep things going.  Know that we all realize it is not easy.

Thank you @StLouisCruisers for the beautiful photos of Dubrovnik.  Brings back fondest memories of being there at least twice.   I really enjoyed your Antarctica photos and commentary.   That is a cruise we had to cancel.  We were just about to board the Prinsendam in 2015 when we got a call from the caregiver that DBIL was going to the hospital.  We managed to retrieve our luggage, get in the car and drive home like bats out of hell.   Never was able to take that trip.

Thank you Graham @grapau27 for your explanation of the feast of the Holy Innocents.  When we lived in New York, DBIL used to attend a Church Program called The Holy Innocents Guild on Saturday mornings. It was for Special Needs Children and Adults and prepared them to receive the sacraments in the Church.  They also had some recreational activities and trips.  DBIL loved going to it. The program was actually started by my DFIL.   These Special Need people are truly the Holy Innocents of modern times.

Last night I finally got a full night’s sleep. I still woke up feeling stiff, but it is starting to ease up now.   I suspect I will hear from he Doctor today.   I had to figure that he just got back from vacation and probably had a full schedule.   He always gets back to me so I am sure he will.

Cheers to all who are celebrating and cruising.

It looks like another gloomy day here, however sunshine and a high of 52 is predicted.  We shall see.   Today is dedicated to inside activities.

Hope everyone has a great day.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

Good morning. Yesterday was a loss. I believe I got a bad oyster in the oyster stew. I spent most of the day TDY to the bathroom and bed. Did manage to drop the car off and later pick up with new windshield installed.
Not sure how often I’ll be able to post on upcoming cruise especially the further West we go due to time zones and dateline's. Also not sure if anyone wants to follow a non BHB cruise.

I believe I’ll take it easy today and try and get some food in me. Thanks for the reports and post. Bruce

image.jpeg.f7b444d5641f548af76e2cc79190363f.jpegimage.jpeg.1e8b622ec76e43137cbe8905017c1f3a.jpegimage.jpeg.7d2f7d3d15c0d980f66a861574ad30fe.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.16ec1afa6766cb4b4c0961c98aeb6d35.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.fb2813c78e32a429628fb21ad386b40d.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.3f15c210750bda49ee4850c99e6042fb.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Haha 12

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily updates.  Good reason to call a friend today.  The meal suggestion sounds very nice but I’ll probably skip the drink. As we’re visiting on the western end of the Eastern Time Zone and we live on the eastern end, the sun is coming up one hour later in the morning and setting one hour later with no time chance for us, I love it.  We visited Dubrovnik in September and found it fascinating.  Prayers for those on our prayer list today.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events!

IMG_1736.thumb.jpeg.3125938c1d5531c9c34e51558813e7fc.jpeg

IMG_1742.thumb.jpeg.19b4e908c76df2466ddad98b23873c2d.jpeg

IMG_1721.thumb.jpeg.910383ed48bd650594207fe535dc9ab3.jpeg

IMG_1713.thumb.jpeg.3ed669f8cc570e50ac55612935977d48.jpeg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4

Bruce @aliaschief I'm interested in hearing about your cruise so post away if you can.  What an adventure for you two!

I need to stop sitting here with my laptop and get busy on making a new counted cross stitch Christmas stocking for DGD Ashley's fiancé Chris.  I showed him photos of kits I have available and he loved the religious one with Joseph, Mary and baby Jesus in the stable.  Ashley's has three angels from Hark the Herald Angels Sing so they might go together well.  I know for a fact DD doesn't have time to make one of these with her teaching job and church volunteer work.  Not to mention dinners out with all her girlfriends!  LOL! 

It will take me all year to make and if I sit here on CC all day it will take several years!  I will put aside the one I'm trying to finish and get to work on Chris's right away.  Oh yes, when I asked if he wanted Chris or Christopher on the stocking he picked Christopher.  Oh, boy... 😛

• Like 19

Good Morning from a rainy and cool day at the beach

I enjoy minestrone soup. Would be great on a day like today. I have friends coming today so does that count for call a friend day.

Todays quite is a goiod one. It made me cry and I never cry. It just reminded me of so much.

My really good friends and neighbors are returning today. I am making them lunch and put it in their refrigerator. I did a small grocery order for them yesterday. They will be here until the middle of May. 

Our cruise buddies will be here for dinner. They are on their way to Ft Myers but will visit with us.  So a busy day for me!

Anyone driving thru Florida, be careful. The roads are wet and very congested. It seems the last few days no one knows what a turn signal is, only a horn!

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Not sure how often I’ll be able to post on upcoming cruise especially the further West we go due to time zones and dateline's. Also not sure if anyone wants to follow a non BHB cruise.

Bruce, I would be more than happy to follow along.  It should be a wonderful adventure.  Looking forward to reading all about it.

Terri

• Like 18

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

It's 47° and will stay around that all day, dropping only to 43° overnight. Rain will resume this afternoon.

I wouldn't mind the soup but would want something with it. Actual dinner tonight will probably be lentil soup. I might like the drink. It should be no surprise that Nero d'Avola isn't grown in the Finger Lakes, so I will substitute Thirsty Owl Syrah. I haven't been to Dubrovnik.

I had a booking on a Celebrity TPAC that never took place. Before it was cancelled, I had some anxiety that my clothes weren't good enough for a cruise line that comes across as rather snooty, and that I wasn't sufficiently high-class. After reading RNB's post, I think that maybe I'm not sufficiently low-class. In any case, it's one of the reasons that I avoid the buffet on any cruise ship.

I need to pick up prescriptions, including one for an antibiotic that I'll need to store in a safe place and hope that I can remember on January 30 where that safe place is.

sandwich.thumb.jpg.02b5bf85ada1553d37ecfa8ba71dae34.jpg

Just an idea but why don’t you post where you are putting it for safekeeping and if you have forgotten, pretty sure one of us could remind you. Just a thought.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

Hello to everyone.  Another cold rainy day in South Florida. For those planning on coming here soon please bring a jacket and some rain gear.  Our weather report says we will have the iguanas dropping from the trees.

GKs and DD left last night.  Our local airports are having major delays due to too much air traffic.  It is a mess so be sure to check your flights vs sitting at the airport for hours and hours.  DD had an early evening flight which didn't take off until 9 PM so not home until midnight. An exhausting day.

I am doing multiple loads of laundry and my house looks like a tornado hit it.  My next set of GKs comes next weekend (not for New Years) so I have a bit of a break. I do need it.

Debbie good luck on your surgery tomorrow.  I think it is outrageous how we are not notified of the surgical time until the day before. I hope you are scheduled for a decent early morning hour and home to rest and recuperate quickly.

I thought the quote was very apt today as so many in the daily are having sad memories.  Please know that we are all thinking of you and sending you healing thoughts.

Sandy I love your pictures of Antarctica - we did this trip on a Silversea expedition ship.  We had such great weather that we were able to go south of the Antarctic circle. Our captain said we were one of the only ships that got that far south and even our expedition leaders had never crossed the circle.  It was the trip of a lifetime for us.  Our pictures are like yours but my husband is the photographer so I have very few on my Ipad or phone.  

We have been to Dubrovnik. In fact on a cruise in the very early 2000's we were one of the first ships to dock there due to a port change. We were supposed to go to Turkey but all the ports were cancelled due to unrest there so we ended up in a totally different location.  Walking into town the walls were still full of bullet holes and the squares also showed significant signs of damage from the war in the 90's.  We visited the synagogue there, but almost the entire Jewish population was killed during the Holocaust including many of my family who lived not far from this area. Sadly it was not only the *** who did most of the killing,  the right wing government that took over this entire area were happy to participate in the extermination.   My ancestors had lived there since the Spanish Inquisition.   It was a very sobering experience for me.  I have no desire to go back.  

On a lighter note, I hope everyone enjoys the day and has safe travels.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4

48 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

I started following the Daily because of the wonderful port information and pictures.  Whenever you are able, I would enjoy learning about the ports you visit, regardless of the ship you are sailing. Wishing you a wonderful cruise.

• Like 19

It rained a LOT last night. We’ll have to find a way to check the roads to the eye doctor before our early afternoon appt. Google just says Flood Alert!  Yesterday was worse for DH. He’s doubled up the antihistamines and is sleeping still. We’ll see what the day brings. 

Lorraine, @cruising sister your DGS is inspiring!  I’m sure you’ll miss him while you’re away. I hope you can develop a theme for your cruise trip, or start a new tradition, maybe some type of a photo account for him. Or postcards. Take a picture of him with you and photo it in different places?  Make it a new and different experience!  Sending extra hugs!  

I often enjoy minestrone soup but never make it. It’s a great comfort food for me. 

We were in Dubrovnik once but couldn’t enjoy it. It deluged just after we got off the bus!  We took the shuttle bus in knowing the forecast was for rain, hoping we could manage with umbrellas and rain jackets but the rain intensified after we arrived, we got drenched so we got back on the shuttle. I doubt there’ll be a next time. 

Sending Debbie @dfish extra blessings. Hope you get a comfortable time!  We got the dreaded 0530 slot once, had to get a hotel room in town for that one… it was a 90 min trip from our mountain home, and snow was forecast for overnight. You do what you gotta do. Eye surgery coming up 1-23 will have us driving to Maryland the day before when the time slot gets announced. I just hope we’ll get the call in the car!  

@ottahand7 Smooth travels Nancy and John. Do keep us posted on your progress!  

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, I’m absorbing your Antarctica pictures!  Many thanks!  

@aliaschiefBruce, I hope you can take us with you!  As best you can. Thank you in advance. Trusting you feel better today!  

I’ll try to draw on the quote today for an extra bit of strength and wisdom! Lately I’ve felt helpless and inept. Time for that to change!  

We attended Evensong at Westminster, impressive! 

Blessings to all in need of healing, comfort or hope!  Especially those prepping for upcoming procedures, may your results be Amazing!  
Prayers for all suffering pain, loss, anxiety or the horrors of war.  Today is a good day for a shift to begin!  
Maureen 

Edited by RMLincoln
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Good morning to all. Sunny and will be in the 40's. This will be short... will post more later. I need to get hustling if I am going to head out the door tomorrow morning at 3:30am. Right now the house looks like I have a tornado inside that is looking for an exit.

To do today: Dogs to boarding kennel! Bank. Straighten up this mess as best I can. Keys to my neighbor. Finish packing. I am behind since the past two days I have felt like I was coming down with a cold (just what I needed) and I spent some time napping when I should have been working. However took allergy meds yesterday and it has cleared up. I suspect it was all the dusting and sorting thatI was doing.

I would love the minestrone for supper tonight but it will be a final attack on the frig before I throw some things out.

More later.

Susan

• Like 19