The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday June 12th, 2024

Good sunny and warm afternoon. The utility company (gas) has the whole block ripped up in front of my house to resurface where they dug up before, no parking since 7am . It’s posted for 2 days of work. Cats went upstairs to sleep 

DB had another phone conversation with Shirl and she’s back to being unhappy. She claims she can’t find her cat and wanted him to come look for her. He tried to explain why he couldn’t but she didn’t understand. She said she is back in prison and she’s going to go on the warpath. He texted her son, no reply yet. 
Have a good afternoon.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 14

Good afternoon!

I am scheduled for nerve ablation on July 23rd at 7:30 am.  I took the early appointment because I can't eat or drink before the procedure.  Then Sue and I will go out to breakfast.  I'm glad it will get done before our Zuiderdam cruise at the end of August.  I have been wanting to hike the Jordan Pond Trail forever and I figure at my age, this is my last good chance.  With the nerve ablation done a month ahead of time, I should be in good shape.  I'll get two shots at it as the itinerary for the second week has changed and Bar Harbor is in and Portland is out.  I'm kind of sorry to see Portland go as I like that city.  

It is getting toasty outside, but it is very comfortable here in the house.  We've been practicing pre-cooling of the house.  We open all the windows at night and let the cool air in.  Then we close them in the morning.  We also close and open shades and curtains strategically.  We can get a lot of solar heating in the house and we want to avoid that.  So far it is working.  

@1ANGELCAT Poor Shirl.  She isn't going to understand no matter what you do.  She is reminding me of a friend who was suffering from dementia.  Her husband decided to move them from Ohio to St. Louis to be closer to their daughter.  He recognized that he was not going to be able to care for Eileen on his own.  She kept calling people in Ohio claiming she was coming back and asking them to check on her house and water and cut the lawn.  Poor thing.  

• Like 23
  • Thanks 5

Good morning and Happy Wednesday. I finally have my new phone but am really upset about the in store customer service. I’ll get over it but will definitely write the company. 

Happy Birthday @catmando!!  Enjoy your special day!

Surprisingly I have been to today’s port. I just can’t remember if it was in 1999 or 2000. It was on the Veendam and I really think it was 1999 and it’s possible that it was the cruise for our 25th anniversary. The cruise was out of San Juan and Santo Domingo was the first port. I remember that the harbor was very trashy, full of floating trash. We took a tour to the Christopher Columbus memorial. It’s a huge memorial but beautiful. Allegedly, Columbus is buried in a tomb there. I don’t have pictures, at that time Craig took mostly video. I think we went somewhere else on the tour but don’t remember. 

I like falafel but have never made them from scratch. Terry @smitty34877, I’ve heard that they come out better using dried chickpeas. Takes longer but there is something about the texture, just like with hummus. I’ve been wanting to make Molly Yeh’s recipe. 
For some reason my cut and paste isn’t working or I’d post the recipe. She also has a recipe for falafel waffles that look really good. 

I would like to try the meal suggestion, but I don’t have all the ingredients. Not sure what I’m making today but it’ll be something easy. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Molly Yeh

Falafel with Preserved Lemon Yogurt, Spicy Pickled Onions and Fresh Mint

Serving:

4 sandwiches

Type:

vegetarian

Author:

Molly Yeh

Notes:

Molly created this bright twist on falafel for Einat Admony's guest chef series at Taim, NYC. One dollar of every special falafel purchased each month is directed to chef's choice of charity. Molly's charity is Hands Of Peace, an organization that fosters understanding among Israelis, Palestinians, and Americans, with the mission for change and peace in the Middle East.

AMEN!

Ingredients:

pita:

1 1/2 c warm water

2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast

1 1/2 tb sugar

1 1/2 tsp kosher salt

3 tb olive oil

3 3/4 c bread flour, plus more for dusting (optional: sub out 1 3/4 c bread flour for 1 3/4 c for whole wheat)

falafel:

1 c dried chickpeas, soaked for 10 hours or overnight and drained

2 tsp cumin seeds, freshly toasted and coarsely ground in a spice grinder

1 tb coriander seeds, freshly toasted and coarsely ground in a spice grinder

1 small onion, coarsely chopped

4 cloves garlic, minced

1/4 c lightly packed cilantro leaves with stems, roughly chopped

1/4 c lightly packed parsley leaves with stems, roughly chopped

1/4 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp kosher salt

black pepper

2 tb flour

1 1/2 tb lemon juice

olive oil or flavorless oil, for frying

yogurt:

1 c plain full-fat greek yogurt

a handful of finely chopped (or pureed) preserved lemon

2 cloves minced garlic

salt and pepper

pickled onions:

1 c warm water

1/2 c apple cider vinegar

1 tsp salt

1 1/2 tb sugar

1 large purple onion, thinly sliced

tabasco sauce

fresh mint salad:

1 part fresh mint leaves

1 part mix of parsley and cilantro

1 part chopped cucumber

olive oil

salt and pepper

a good pinch of sumac

also:

feta cheese, if desired

Directions:

to make the pita:

in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, mix together the water, yeast, and sugar. let it sit for 5 minutes, or until foamy. with the mixer running on low speed, add the salt and oil, and then gradually add the flour. increase the speed to medium high and mix for 7-10 minutes, adding just enough additional flour so that the dough no longer sticks to the bowl. do not add too much flour. the dough should be smooth and slightly sticky. lightly coat a clean large bowl with oil or cooking spray and then place the dough in the bowl and turn it once or twice to coat it in oil. cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it rise at room temperature for 2 hours, or until it has doubled in size.

turn the dough onto a clean work surface and divide it into 12 equal pieces. mold each piece into a ball by stretching the top and tucking the edges under. place the balls 1” apart on a piece of parchment paper, cover them with plastic wrap, and let them rise for 30 minutes.

preheat the oven to 500ºf and line two baking sheets with parchment.

with a rolling pin, roll out the balls of dough into circles that are 1/4" thick. place them on the baking sheets and bake for about 5 minutes, or until they're puffy and just starting to brown. this will make more pita than you need for the sandwiches but leftovers can be stored in freezer and reheated in a toaster.

to make the falafel:

in a food processor, combine the chickpeas, cumin, coriander, onion, garlic, cilantro, parsley, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, a few turns of pepper, flour, and lemon juice and pulse quickly, about 80-100 times, until the mixture is combined, but still slightly grainy.

in a large skillet, heat 1/4” oil over medium high heat until shimmering but not smoking. form 3-tablespoon sized balls of the falafel mixture, packing them firmly. fry on all sides until golden brown. transfer to a paper towel.

for the yogurt:

whisk together all of the ingredients in a bowl. keep chilled until ready to use.

for the pickles:

whisk together water, vinegar, salt, and sugar. add the onion, cover, and let sit at room temperature for an hour or in the refrigerator overnight. add tabasco sauce to taste.

for the fresh mint salad:

toss herbs and cucumbers with enough olive oil to dress well. season with salt, pepper, and sumac.

to assemble: spread yogurt in a pita, add falafel, pickled onions, mint salad, and feta, if desired. enjoy!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 12

Work continues on the condo. It is good thing my downstairs neighbor is cruising Alaska right now... she would not be happy. The dogs are surprisingly stoic. Monty has retreated to his canvas carrier a couple of times but generally they are sleeping through everything. The living room is finished and I am starting to put things back into the curio cabinets. I am holding some items out for the thrift store. Found a couple of things I was wondering about. Now it sounds like the ceiling work is done (popcorn has been removed)  and they are starting to put up the crown molding. The dogs continue to snooze.

It is heating up outside so am closing up the house. I feel like I need a nap myself.

Susan

• Like 25

@Sharon in AZ and @Seasick Sailor  Sharon and Joy. Thanks so much for the recipe! I will try it in a few days when people feel like eating again. That was very nice of both of you!

As most of you have probably figured out I do enjoy the kitchen and it is a great stress reducer.

We are managing today as best we can as Tana , her sister and I were all under the weather. Today is a bit of an improvement. 
Debbie, that hike is fantastic and I am so glad you will have the procedure done before the trip. Good news!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good Afternoon, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  Today was a rather calm work day.  The majority of the cyber event has been completed and things look good going forward.  Yesterday was an in office day and on the way to work the car in the left lane made sudden move into my lane.  I braked in time and saw the cause of the lane change, a tire was rolling down the left lane on 95.

Today I did something unexpected.  We booked a cruise to Bermuda for April.  Sadly it means we will stray from HAL but there is no air and HAL doesn’t go there anymore.  I used one of the box stores and gratuities are paid by them. 
Today’s meal suggestion sounds good.  I’m making spaghetti tonight but hope to try the suggestion later.

I hope everyone has a good day today.

• Like 24

I am less than impressed at this point with John's Hopkins.  My tests on Friday are on the opposite side of Baltimore from me.  I was called last week and told that I needed to be there at 9AM and would need to be driven there and back due to the sedation I would need, and I was expected to be released about 2PM.  A member of my church did indicate that she was willing to to that. 

They called again this morning.  The arrival time is now 10:30AM, and I if my driver cannot do the return trip they have no other way to get me home.  They also changed the entrance will get to the appointment.  I still can have nothing to eat or drink after midnight tomorrow, so I definitely am not personally pleased with the prospect of the day.  The only good news is that my driver says she is ok with the change.

Roy

• Like 19
  • Thanks 8

24 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Pretty impressed with luggage forward. Handed over in Barcelona Sunday morning and they were just delivered to our house today Wednesday.👍

We like luggage forward. Only had 1 time in 2020 when we got called from the port in San Diego. The guy couldn't take our bags to the porters due to Covid. We had to carry them about 20 feet. We are using them for our cruise in Sept. Austin to Seattle 

• Like 18

3 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good sunny and warm afternoon. The utility company (gas) has the whole block ripped up in front of my house to resurface where they dug up before, no parking since 7am . It’s posted for 2 days of work. Cats went upstairs to sleep 

DB had another phone conversation with Shirl and she’s back to being unhappy. She claims she can’t find her cat and wanted him to come look for her. He tried to explain why he couldn’t but she didn’t understand. She said she is back in prison and she’s going to go on the warpath. He texted her son, no reply yet. 
Have a good afternoon.

I'm sorry Shirl is having such a rough time.   Dementia is such a horrible disease.  

2 hours ago, dfish said:

Good afternoon!

I am scheduled for nerve ablation on July 23rd at 7:30 am.  I took the early appointment because I can't eat or drink before the procedure.  Then Sue and I will go out to breakfast.  I'm glad it will get done before our Zuiderdam cruise at the end of August.  I have been wanting to hike the Jordan Pond Trail forever and I figure at my age, this is my last good chance.  With the nerve ablation done a month ahead of time, I should be in good shape.  I'll get two shots at it as the itinerary for the second week has changed and Bar Harbor is in and Portland is out.  I'm kind of sorry to see Portland go as I like that city.  

It is getting toasty outside, but it is very comfortable here in the house.  We've been practicing pre-cooling of the house.  We open all the windows at night and let the cool air in.  Then we close them in the morning.  We also close and open shades and curtains strategically.  We can get a lot of solar heating in the house and we want to avoid that.  So far it is working.  

@1ANGELCAT Poor Shirl.  She isn't going to understand no matter what you do.  She is reminding me of a friend who was suffering from dementia.  Her husband decided to move them from Ohio to St. Louis to be closer to their daughter.  He recognized that he was not going to be able to care for Eileen on his own.  She kept calling people in Ohio claiming she was coming back and asking them to check on her house and water and cut the lawn.  Poor thing.  

Debbie, I'm glad you have an appointment, but I wish it is sooner.  At least, it's in time for you to be recovered and ready to hike on your cruise.

1 hour ago, durangoscots said:

Work continues on the condo. It is good thing my downstairs neighbor is cruising Alaska right now... she would not be happy. The dogs are surprisingly stoic. Monty has retreated to his canvas carrier a couple of times but generally they are sleeping through everything. The living room is finished and I am starting to put things back into the curio cabinets. I am holding some items out for the thrift store. Found a couple of things I was wondering about. Now it sounds like the ceiling work is done (popcorn has been removed)  and they are starting to put up the crown molding. The dogs continue to snooze.

It is heating up outside so am closing up the house. I feel like I need a nap myself.

Susan

Susan, it sounds like the projects are being done quickly.  I'm glad the dogs are handling things calmly.

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

@Sharon in AZ and @Seasick Sailor  Sharon and Joy. Thanks so much for the recipe! I will try it in a few days when people feel like eating again. That was very nice of both of you!

As most of you have probably figured out I do enjoy the kitchen and it is a great stress reducer.

We are managing today as best we can as Tana , her sister and I were all under the weather. Today is a bit of an improvement. 
Debbie, that hike is fantastic and I am so glad you will have the procedure done before the trip. Good news!

Terry, I'm sorry you and Tana's sister are also fighting the stomach bug.  I hope tomorrow is a better day for all.

40 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Afternoon, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  Today was a rather calm work day.  The majority of the cyber event has been completed and things look good going forward.  Yesterday was an in office day and on the way to work the car in the left lane made sudden move into my lane.  I braked in time and saw the cause of the lane change, a tire was rolling down the left lane on 95.

Today I did something unexpected.  We booked a cruise to Bermuda for April.  Sadly it means we will stray from HAL but there is no air and HAL doesn’t go there anymore.  I used one of the box stores and gratuities are paid by them. 
Today’s meal suggestion sounds good.  I’m making spaghetti tonight but hope to try the suggestion later.

I hope everyone has a good day today.

Jake, I'm glad the cyber even has been completed and things are calmer at work. Congratulations on the Bermuda cruise.

36 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I am less than impressed at this point with John's Hopkins.  My tests on Friday are on the opposite side of Baltimore from me.  I was called last week and told that I needed to be there at 9AM and would need to be driven there and back due to the sedation I would need, and I was expected to be released about 2PM.  A member of my church did indicate that she was willing to to that. 

They called again this morning.  The arrival time is now 10:30AM, and I if my driver cannot do the return trip they have no other way to get me home.  They also changed the entrance will get to the appointment.  I still can have nothing to eat or drink after midnight tomorrow, so I definitely am not personally pleased with the prospect of the day.  The only good news is that my driver says she is ok with the change.

Roy

Roy, I'm sorry they have changed the time and the location 0f the entrance.  I hope everything goes smoothly from this point on.

23 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Pretty impressed with luggage forward. Handed over in Barcelona Sunday morning and they were just delivered to our house today Wednesday.👍

Bruce, that was fast service.

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I've never had Cachaca or Falafel. Loving Day celebrates an important event in history. Good quote. I like the meal. I like Americano coffee, pass on the drink. Pass on the white wine. I haven't been to Santo Domingo. A bad day for Capone.

It's another lovely day, currently 80F and sunny, with low humidity. I had trouble falling asleep last night, I'm not sure why. Then I was up and dressed, packed the groceries for BFF, and took them to his house. Then off to his post-op check. Things are healing well, and he got changed from a splint to a walking boot, but still 3 more weeks of non-weightbearing. At least he can take it off to sleep and to shower. Then back to his house, where a friend brought over pizza and we all had a good chat. Now I'm home, and tired. I need a nap, but won't as it might affect tonight's sleep. Tomorrow I take him to see his PCP.

@catmando Happy Birthday! Prayers for Scottie's recovery.

@ottahand7 Sorry the urgent care couldn't do more for you.

@smitty34877 I'm glad Tana, her sister and you are feeling better today; sorry illness got to several of you.

@Cruzin Terri I'm sorry your cold is worse. Maybe take a decongestant for the flight? Safe trip home to you and Jim.

@mamaofami Congrats to the 3 graduates and prayers for safety for the two in Israel.

@dfish Thanks for the recipes. I'm glad you got a date for your nerve ablation.

@aliaschief Wonderful upcoming cruises you are planning.

@bennybear I'm glad water is flowing, even if there are strict restrictions. Scary about the tornado nearby. I hope you get the FCD fiasco straightened out.

@1ANGELCAT So hard on Shirl's family; she won't understand they're doing what's best for her.

@durangoscots It sounds like you're having a lot of nice work done on the condo.

@rafinmd I'm sorry they're making it difficult for the upcoming tests. It's good that your driver is flexible.

@kazu I hope today was a better day for you.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 6

Good evening, I’m thinking of all our Florida daily family in the path of all the torrential rains . The port of Miami webcam looks really nasty. @POA1, don’t let Poohby Joe go out on the balcony. 
Update on Shirl, her. Cat somehow got out the door and made it up to the 3rd floor of the building, where a kind neighbor took it in. Her son will call us later. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 7

Good evening, everyone!

We just got back from a concert by the Chemical City Band at the Central Park Bandshell.  The band is an all city band with members that range in age from 16 to 90.  They do a concert every Wednesday night.  On Thursdays during the summer we have Tunes by the Tridge and then we have live music downtown every weekend.  It is always something!  

I thought I would mention the great service I am getting from HAL.  My PCC called me this afternoon and said she thought I had emailed her and she couldn't find the email to respond.  I told her that I was thinking about emailing her, but hadn't gotten to it yet.  Apparently she is clairvoyant and able to anticipate my desires and act on them without me contacting her!  Talk about service!

• Like 18
  • Haha 3

We are due to go fly home tomorrow through Miami.  It is anybody’s guess if we will actually go.  The AA flight from Barbados to Miami for this afternoon was cancelled, as is tomorrow morning’s flight from Miami.  Our’s is still on schedule.  We will see what happens.  

The Hotel tells me that they will be able to accommodate us if our flight is cancelled so I have taken care of that.

We are putting stuff in a small collapsible bag to take with us in case we get as far as Miami but can’t get to JAX.

Will try to update when i know more.

Terri

• Like 9
  • Thanks 11

3 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I've never had Cachaca or Falafel. Loving Day celebrates an important event in history. Good quote. I like the meal. I like Americano coffee, pass on the drink. Pass on the white wine. I haven't been to Santo Domingo. A bad day for Capone.

It's another lovely day, currently 80F and sunny, with low humidity. I had trouble falling asleep last night, I'm not sure why. Then I was up and dressed, packed the groceries for BFF, and took them to his house. Then off to his post-op check. Things are healing well, and he got changed from a splint to a walking boot, but still 3 more weeks of non-weightbearing. At least he can take it off to sleep and to shower. Then back to his house, where a friend brought over pizza and we all had a good chat. Now I'm home, and tired. I need a nap, but won't as it might affect tonight's sleep. Tomorrow I take him to see his PCP.

@catmando Happy Birthday! Prayers for Scottie's recovery.

@ottahand7 Sorry the urgent care couldn't do more for you.

@smitty34877 I'm glad Tana, her sister and you are feeling better today; sorry illness got to several of you.

@Cruzin Terri I'm sorry your cold is worse. Maybe take a decongestant for the flight? Safe trip home to you and Jim.

@mamaofami Congrats to the 3 graduates and prayers for safety for the two in Israel.

@dfish Thanks for the recipes. I'm glad you got a date for your nerve ablation.

@aliaschief Wonderful upcoming cruises you are planning.

@bennybear I'm glad water is flowing, even if there are strict restrictions. Scary about the tornado nearby. I hope you get the FCD fiasco straightened out.

@1ANGELCAT So hard on Shirl's family; she won't understand they're doing what's best for her.

@durangoscots It sounds like you're having a lot of nice work done on the condo.

@rafinmd I'm sorry they're making it difficult for the upcoming tests. It's good that your driver is flexible.

@kazu I hope today was a better day for you.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

Vaneesa, that is good news than BFF is healing well, and is out of the splint and has a walking boot.  

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

For the Garden Club. 

IMG_4516.thumb.jpeg.cf160964ea2e376148e47bc69e50473d.jpeg

IMG_4520.thumb.jpeg.3f74d02445aa2071aad3f22285ae455a.jpeg

IMG_4530.jpeg.4444eff6da0b175f927e7eaacab722fa.jpeg

IMG_4531.jpeg.97449a0661a27b08f6b8e434dd310e33.jpeg

IMG_4532.thumb.jpeg.7d6852a9cb6fe86194434d11e16aea9c.jpeg

IMG_4533.jpeg.eb83ae4a4250c87a0d841b6915d78f4c.jpeg

Beautiful flowers, Carolyn.  Thank you.

19 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

We are due to go fly home tomorrow through Miami.  It is anybody’s guess if we will actually go.  The AA flight from Barbados to Miami for this afternoon was cancelled, as is tomorrow morning’s flight from Miami.  Our’s is still on schedule.  We will see what happens.  

The Hotel tells me that they will be able to accommodate us if our flight is cancelled so I have taken care of that.

We are putting stuff in a small collapsible bag to take with us in case we get as far as Miami but can’t get to JAX.

Terri

Terri, I hope you make your flight tomorrow, but your safety comes first.  I'm glad the hotel can accommodate you 8f the flight doesn't go.  

2 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good evening, I’m thinking of all our Florida daily family in the path of all the torrential rains . The port of Miami webcam looks really nasty. @POA1, don’t let Poohby Joe go out on the balcony. 
Update on Shirl, her. Cat somehow got out the door and made it up to the 3rd floor of the building, where a kind neighbor took it in. Her son will call us later. 

I'm glad the cat was found.  Her son has his hands full.

Lenda

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Cruzin Terri said:

Terri

All I can say is tonight’s news did not pick a great picture around Miami. Rain for a few more days. Streets flooding, cancelled flights. Hope there is a break and your flight is a go. Safe travels.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Terri

🤞you make it out, but do take the hotel up on their offer if things look iffy - no need to stress.

🙏 for safe, smooth travels.

• Like 12

Good afternoon.

Thank you for the HAL Fleet locations today, and the opportunity for dailyites to post their Daily news.

This morning was supermarket shopping, then out  to lunch. 

@catmando  Wishing you a very Happy Birthday.

@Cruising-along  thank you for sharing your photos of the beautiful flowers, guess they are in your garden.

@rafinmd  hope your day goes smoothly tomorrow, with no more changes.

Thank you to  @JazzyV for including me on the list, and to @StLouisCruisers , @Nickelpenny , @ger_77 , @Cruising-along and @rafinmd. for your kind messages.

Apologies if i have missed anyone else.  

It's  a dismal grey day, with occasional showers, temperature has risen to 8 C.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Today was an interesting day.  I took DH out for breakfast, at First Watch, he loves their waffles. We stopped at the krogers and picked up his meds, and came home.  I worked and DH went to work, and donna brought over his favorite food (deviled eggs) and a card from the cats and from THE  DOG.  It was after work that the day went wonky-oh Scottie is out of ICU and in a regular room, he seems to be improving, thank you for your prayers. And I went out to clean the kittens litter, which always seem to be the most exciting part of the day, they kept grabbing the plastic bag that the poop goes in, then they knocked over the plastic cup of extra litter, so when I was doen scraping, I went out, and couldnt get back on the porch without DH.  They kept rushing the door, so he went in, he demands respect, no toe chewing!  And when I opened the door for a litter delivery Jersey rushed to the door, I went to stop her, and fell.  Then after that was all cleaned up, the litter done, and I sat to catch up with today, Furnando knocked over my iced coffee on the desk, and it went every where!  All the paper work drenched.

The air is now on!  Yay, And now to find something to take my pills with and off to bed.

@smitty34877I hope that you and the family start feeling better-

7382ea41cad70a608168cc119b6c6144.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3