Cruise Critic Community
Warren Miller

Best for Never-Ever who want quiet experience - less crowds

Considering planning a nice cruise for an upcoming Anniversary - 

We would prefer a quieter cruise with less hustle and bustle and NOT fighting with others for a chair by the pool.   Don't want to stand in line for a drink or to get food and willing to pay a little more for quality over quantity.  A nice and smooth experience that won't stress us out. 

Cruise in the Caribbean - 

No experience so what Cruise Line is not important. 

Fall time frame -   

No port favored over another - 

Ship size isn't a huge factor, just want less crowded and friendly- Rude people would kill the mood - 

Tranquil and peaceful is the goal - 

Shore excursions are not the priority  - If they have beach and a lounger without too much hassle, that sounds perfect. 

Thanks - in advance for any help to give me your thoughts.   

Posted (edited)

Repositioning cruise / crossing

Edited by Canuker

Apparently the PP didn't see that you are looking for a Caribbean cruise. But the fact remains that a fall cruise, given the current COVID situation, is unlikely to happen.  And sorry, but it doesn't matter which line or ship you select, you can't guarantee that you won't encounter a rude guest at some point. Rudeness by crew? Very rarely, and even then likely a response in kind.

Having said all that, if peace and quiet is what you want, look to one of the premium or luxury lines, with a cruise length of at least a week. The shorter the cruise, the greater the likelihood of a "party" atmosphere. 

If you are willing to spend extra, maybe consider booking a suite on a line with special suite sections like pool, bars and restaurants. Two that come to mind are NCL or Celebrity. I prefer Celebrity because of their strict smoking policy. I treated the wife to a suite as a surprise for our anniversary and it was great.

I would not count on cruises resuming anytime this year. Even if they do, you should carefully evaluate your risk factors. Cruise ships are prime locations for viral transmission. Witness the many outbreaks of norovirus outbreaks every year.

More relaxed, less crowded ships are generally smaller. The best examples are suite only ships commanding premium prices. That said, very large ships like those in the Royal Caribbean Oasis class do allow one to find many quiet spaces and less crowded dining in added cost venues. But most pool areas on Caribbean cruises are always crowded when the sun is out. A number of ships have adult only areas that are generally quieter. 

You may want to check the Oceania board. It's one of the 'premium' lines. Their largest ships have only 1200 passengers. We did our first cruise on them in December and really loved it. Great food also; culinary director is Jacques Pepin if that matters. 

I would recommend a luxury or a premium plus cruise line.  Sebourne, Crystal, Windstar, Viking, Riviera, all sail the Caribbean.  I would recommend looking at November or December so you avoid the hurricane season.  Weather is perfect at that time.  The luxury lines will be more all inclusive as well.

5 hours ago, Robinsoncruiseso said:

I would recommend a luxury or a premium plus cruise line.  Sebourne, Crystal, Windstar, Viking, Riviera, all sail the Caribbean.  I would recommend looking at November or December so you avoid the hurricane season.  Weather is perfect at that time.  The luxury lines will be more all inclusive as well.

Much more suited to the OP's requirements. :classic_smile:

The only caveat is that the OP said "willing to pay a little more".

Those lines will cost $$$$$ more.:classic_ohmy:

Closer to the mainstream prices, Celebrity is worth considering - but the OP will have to compromise somewhat.

Or Oceania is somewhere in-between.

Warren - the ports DO make a big difference. Those frequented by multiple large ships are generally crowded.

But on some busy busy islands there are quiet off-the-beaten-path beaches. You'll need a taxi, and don't expect facilities on those beaches.

If the up-coming anniversay is in 2020, perhaps look at a cruise to celebrate the next one.

JB :classic_smile:

You would probably enjoy a smaller ship than the "Megas"....fewer people onboard.  And, some of the older ships have pools that accommodate more.  Sea days, no matter the ship or cruise line, will have more people at the pool on those days...just an unescapable fact.

You shouldn't experience rudeness from ANY staff....but you never know about the general cruising public....just have to "go with the flow", just like in everyday life!

Once you've booked something and find out your ports, you can easily google each place, to find beaches within a reasonable distance...no "excursion" needed for most ports!

Thanks all for the productive thoughts and comments.  

I just need a little cruise guru to guide me it seems....

Thanks -

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Warren Miller said:

Thanks all for the productive thoughts and comments.  

I just need a little cruise guru to guide me it seems....

Thanks -

@Warren Miller Howdy and welcome to the Cruise Critic message boards! emo22.gif 

Perhaps something in the Cruise Critic articles written by our Editorial Staff will be helpful. Click here https://www.cruisecritic.com/ftc/ then scroll down that page for the following articles showing at this time:

156 articles on Best Cruises 

393 articles on Cruise Tips and Advice

411 articles on Cruise Policies and Inside Info

269 articles on Cruise Industry Trends

78 articles on Cruise Pictures

87 articles on What to Expect on a Cruise

17 articles on Cruise Q&A

18 articles on Hurricane Season Cruising

1,135 articles on First Time Cruisers

I sincerely hope this information will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

Edited by Host Kat
Typo due to fat fingers & skinny laptop keys!

Looking for a quiet ship is a mission impossible really. Especially on the Caribbean islands.

It's also hard to imagine if there is less crowd there won't be any rude passengers.

I understand your expectations, but reality is if you are looking for a relaxed cruise, maybe you need to consider a world cruise and a small ship.

Swimming pools on the ship on a sea day are packed! No matter the demogrpahic.

Two other suggestions. 

1.  After sailing Eastern, Western, and Southern, I would recommend Southern as first option.  We found it quieter and more laid back.  Also, in fall timeframe, storms are still a threat and Southern islands tend to be less of a target than Eastern or Western routes.  Southern islands provide nice beaches!  

2.  Southern routes require longer cruise, often 9 or more days if sailing from Miami or Fort Lauderdale. These cruises will have fewer families, so should be even less crowded than 7 day cruises.  If this is not doable, there are 7 day Southern cruises out of Puerto Rico.