In 10 days what will it be

drvmywifecrzy

I like the speculations you all have. I agree that cruising needs to start more sooner that later. I agree that folks need to play by the rules- mask on or don't sail out. Limited capacity is fine, as well as being served in the buffet. I just hope that December cruises go on without a hitch (or at least mine....) I have a 10 day one from NY on the GEM!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, oteixeira said:

I think a lot of you are on the right track.  IF (its a big if) they start back in November, it will be a few select ships, doing really short (think 3 day/4 day) max cruises.  I think it has nothing to do with profit, it has much more to do with understanding HOW it will work so they can ready everything they need to allow their fleet to sail when the time comes.  

Agree 100%.  

Also very important is rebuilding confidence that cruising is safe.  I know the regulars around here don't want to admit it, but, I suspect there is a very significant part of the former cruising population that is in no rush to get back on a cruise ship.

Edited by PATRLR
  • Like 3

On 8/20/2020 at 6:32 AM, PATRLR said:

Showing symptoms is different than testing positive.  I don't recall seeing anywhere that it takes 3-14 days post exposure to test positive.  I may be wrong though.

my son is a RD at a college and he was a 'close contact' with someone who tested positive. He was told by the state that he had to quarantine for 14 days because it could take that long to show a positive test result. in that time he was tested 4 times and all 4 times was tested negative but the 14 days is the time they believe a positive test could happen

On 8/20/2020 at 11:35 AM, PATRLR said:

My guess is Europe where they seem to have this thing under control and more importantly where people are generally much better behaved about this than they are in the US.  

Ha, if only that were true! We've had Brits defying lockdown for months, you know, the kind of people who don't think the rules apply to them.

The majority of the country has complied, but a sizeable minority has not, and the same goes for other European nations. It's why we are now seeing a rise in infections across the continent. Mostly caused by people in their 20s, 30s and 40s, and because more people are being tested, although we've personally seen loads of older people who don't wear masks, or don't wear them properly, making them virtually useless.

The bigger issue is whether this rise in cases is translating into a rise in hospital admissions and deaths which, fortunately, at the moment, does not appear to be the case.

As regards NCL, we've already had our 40th anniversary cruise cancelled, but have another one next summer, which we are hoping will go ahead. 

Edited by nellydean
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Buford T Justiice said:

I think they will continue to kick the (cruising) can down the road one month at a time while still taking deposits from the unsuspecting 

unless someone is living in a cave, just wanting a change of scenery, I dont see how anyone can be unsuspecting at this point.

• Like 1

Three things say to me another month will be canceled:

1. Nothing has changed about the level of risk in the US

2. Airlines are canceling flights and lowering capacity in a huge way right now

3. The CDC has the request for comments open into September so no way we see new guidance/policy soon enough to ramp up for a November restart

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 6:35 AM, PATRLR said:

My guess is Europe where they seem to have this thing under control and more importantly where people are generally much better behaved about this than they are in the US.  

Can we please get over this myth that Europe or anywhere else is handling this better?

From today, 21 AUG: With Coronavirus Cases Surging, Europe Braces for New Phase in Pandemic

They'll announce their 'protocols' and 2020 sailing schedule and how super strong future bookings are.  And hopefully, a preview of Leonardo.

On 8/20/2020 at 12:13 PM, david_sobe said:

If you look at schools that opened, some closed days later or put so many in quarantine after Covid was spreading. 

I wonder what the biggest differences are between schools in Sweden and in the US. Our schools for younger children has not been closed and as far as I know ONE person under the age of 19 has died in Sweden. I know that children may still infect adults but I have not heared about any outbreaks related to schools being open here. I'm a teacher and don't know anyone with confirmed Covid-19 so I feel rather safe when going to work.

I know that we have had too many deaths here but today we have 26 persons in intensive care because of Covid-19 so right now we are doing okay.

1 hour ago, boatseller said:

Can we please get over this myth that Europe or anywhere else is handling this better?

From today, 21 AUG: With Coronavirus Cases Surging, Europe Braces for New Phase in Pandemic

They'll announce their 'protocols' and 2020 sailing schedule and how super strong future bookings are.  And hopefully, a preview of Leonardo.

Better than a news report, would be the facts.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

4 hours ago, z4oslo said:

Better than a news report, would be the facts.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

And?  While I'm thrilled you agree that the NYT times is an unreliable source, I'll give you a chance to explain your facts before I explain why I'm right.

It's actually better for cruising that Tui and MSC started in a much worse place than the US.  When not much happens and people are already desensitized to 'a handful of cases', we can start strong.  Then really watch nothing happen.

And...following Carnival and MSC, I think they'll announce the name of the first Project Leonardo. 

10 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

probably will give up on this year. 

This is exactly what everyone is doing and this might be the reason for cruise companies to postpone the cruises this year. If there was a high demand they would start the operation all at once this Autumn already. I think we all need to rethink our plans for this year apparently 

7 hours ago, seaman11 said:

probably will give up on this year. 

Booooo!

We are going to get you at sea even if we all have to tie you to an innertube between 2 palm trees and shoo you there ourselves

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, david_sobe said:

Booooo!

We are going to get you at sea even if we all have to tie you to an innertube between 2 palm trees and shoo you there ourselves

My pool floatie is ready, we just need the two downed trees, and there are two hurricanes coming in to take care of those.  Get ready @seaman11

• Like 2

Too bad not an option from US waters.  These articles are from the archives.  Maybe someone more knowledgeable could offer any updates.

https://abcnews.go.com/Travel/bon-voyage-cruises/story?id=31775815

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Customs-says-cruises-to-nowhere-were-never-legal

Edited by logan25

It would be great if they could re-institute cruises to nowhere given special circumstances, even if just for a month or two. 

That being said, I wouldn't participate because the whole point of cruising for me is to travel places I have never been.  I like the safety and organization of a cruise ship and their excursions versus venturing out on my own to somewhere i'm unfamiliar. 

On 8/22/2020 at 7:34 AM, CruiseMH said:

In which universe are the US currently a better place than Europe/Italy ?

In this universe and likely most of the multiverse.  Now, all you've done as ask a leading question with zero evidence...except headline science.

Currently, the US is behind pretty much all of Europe, except France (?).  Germany is such an outlier, they have to be counting differently.

Lower losses is better.  Well, for most people anyway.  And remember, number if cases is completely irrelevant and utterly useless in gauging a response.  Right now, that's merely a function of the fact that the US has done ~3x testing as anywhere else.  You want the cases to go down...stop testing!  See how easy that would be?

So, yes, unquestionably based on the numbers we're doing better than Europe, and Asia for that matter.  I feel bad for New Zealand, they'll be a island prison for years.

All this means is that we won't have to tip-toe back into the water.  That's likely the reason CLIA decided to pause until November, wait for enough people to be over this whole thing and go big.

1 hour ago, boatseller said:

So, yes, unquestionably based on the numbers we're doing better than Europe

To make a long story very short just a short look onto the statistics:

rate of positive Tests as of August 21st:

United states: 6,7 %

European Union: 3,3 %

No. of tests done per 100.000 citizens as of August 20th:

USA: 21021

European Union: 11800

Number of infected people per 100.000 citizens:

USA: 1728

European Union: 761

As you can see, the positive rate in the US is more than twice as high and the no. of cases in relation to the citizens is 2,3 times as high as in Europe.(although the no. of tests in relation to the citizens is only 1,78 times as high as in Europe)

Your feelings and wishes might be different but the statistics make it very clear: Europe simply is the better place to be in the pandemics.

• Like 4