The Daily for Sunday Nov 29, 2020

richwmn

6 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺🌺Good morning Ann!!! We will miss you terribly! I love Key West so much! I still find Kermits to have the best key lime pie! Just my opinion. Right across the street is CONCH REPUBLIC SEAFOOD COMPANY! Best seafood that I so loved. Stay safe! This is your time to enjoy! Oh the snorkeling and kayaking in the mangroves I am jealous 😘 

Happy Get Away!

Denise😘

Kermits won last year! The prior two years a hotel on Duval St won, but when we returned last year, they had a new chef who turned it into a key lime creme brûlée. 😱 Good, but not what we wanted!

And the runner-up for all three years has been Hobo’s Cafe in Key Largo. 

• Like 6

Good morning!  Once again the Daily jogs happy memories.  Like @summer slope , we had square dance classes as part of our physical education program here in Southern California -- not exactly square dance country!  I was in fourth grade and remember everyone having so much fun!  And I do believe it taught good skills -- listening, cooperation, etc.  Bring back the square dancing!  😄

Sending prayers to those here who have been experiencing challenges and wishing a lovely day for all.  The beat goes on...we'll get there!

❤️❤️❤️

Maxine

• Like 14

We were supposed to be in Amber Cove today. This is another port we have not yet visited. If I recall correctly, it is a port largely created by the cruise lines. Anyone know what it might have to offer?

Around this date in 2016, we were on the Nieuw Amsterdam somewhere in the Caribbean - probably at sea heading to the Cayman Islands. The ship was started to get dressed up for Christmas!

DSC_0622.thumb.JPG.9320ac07b163b367a2ed08a0e1682a8f.JPG

DSC_0623.thumb.JPG.f870f8614705f99e2bfaacbc897b0fec.JPG

• Like 12

Thank to St Pete Cruiser's suggestion yesterday I watched the story of the search for Shackelton's ship Endurance last night.  Brought back memories of our best cruise ever, on the Amsterdam to Antarctica in December 2003 and January 2004.  We also got to see Elephant Island and either bought or were presented a great book on Shackelton's saga full of pictures by his photographer.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!  A bright sunny morning here with a heavy frost on the rooftops.  It's starting to feel like Christmas 🙂  We plan to take advantage of the good weather and get our outdoor lights up today.  I hadn't planned to decorate much this year, but then realized it just might help elevate the mood. 😉  Most years I go all out, but this year it will be a lot less.  The 4th bedroom is largely storage for Christmas decorations. 😉 😄 This year will be just part of my Christmas Village (or Metropolis as my DSIL calls it), the tree and a few decorations.  

My parents were part of a square dancing group for years when I was a child, and I learned square dancing in grade school -- that and folk dancing -- loved them both.

After working in retail years ago I am sure that the customer is rarely right, lol.  Of course you have to make them believe otherwise -- luckily I didn't have to deal with that often.

The pork chop meal sounds delicious, maybe something to think about for tonight.  I love to play games with our grandsons even though the youngest one does love to change the rules to suit his needs.  😂

• Like 10

Good morning, all! I haven’t square danced since school. And yes, it has been The Customer is Wrong Day since mid March. The tree never did go up the other day, so Advent Begins is the perfect excuse to redirect today into Christmas decoration. 
Today we’re making a big pot of ham and pea soup, a perfect supper for the storm moving in tonight. Going nowhere is a perfect time to try today’s drink. It sounds like it would go down far too smoothly, and the only non alcoholic ingredient is the maraschino cherry!

Ann, I think there is a reason so many wine reviews mention slate, hot stone, crushed rock, earthy, etc. It becomes obvious that most wine reviewers have ended up face down at outdoor vineyard wine tastings on more than one occasion! Enjoy your time in Key West, you lucky lady!

I'm off to start the soup. DH will help drag out the Christmas boxes and put up,the tree. Then he will leave me to decorate while he checks out the generator and firewood supply before the winds hit this evening.

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1

Pork chops sound great..... particularly with onion and apple. Would sound even better if someone else was doing the cooking.

A bit of sad news.... my niece's husband has passed way from Covid. He leaves behind my niece and a 5 year old daughter. Hopefully no one else will get this terrible disease which is made worse by the isolation.

Susan

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

Pork chops sound great..... particularly with onion and apple. Would sound even better if someone else was doing the cooking.

A bit of sad news.... my niece's husband has passed way from Covid. He leaves behind my niece and a 5 year old daughter. Hopefully no one else will get this terrible disease which is made worse by the isolation.

Susan

I am so very sorry to hear about your family's loss. I'm afraid 2020 has been a year that will leave many with heavy hearts. It makes me so angry to hear folks who keep trivializing this pandemic. 

• Like 10

Good Afternoon on a sunny day in Southern  Ontario,  I do like the meal suggestion, we are having a relative of that - roasted pork loin with Lima beans.  The drink sounds interesting but too potent for me.  I would be schnapped if I drank one of those.  Is it a relative of Wang Wang?  
What sad news durangoscots has shared with us.  No family should have to go through this. My condolences to your family.  A sad day here on the thread.

• Like 6

My parents also belonged to a square dance group, and I learned to square dance early on.  There was always square dancing at the 4th of July party the company my father worked for had.  All the kids danced along with the adults.  It was a lot of fun.  I haven’t square danced since my sophomore year in college.

We put the tree up Friday, and got it and the house decorated.  Yesterday, we took advantage of a sunny and fairly warm day to take the river road north of Parker.  It was the drive we’d planned to do last Sunday, but had to be put on hold then.  Once, we got home, we put up the rest of the outside lights.

We have a lighted wreath we hang on the walk-in gate.  I checked the lights, which worked, and then put it on the gate.  My mistake was bragging to DH that after 15 years, the lights stilled worked.  After, plugging it, the lights no longer worked. 😩  I found two short light strings, one of which only on half worked.  The other string I put on the gate around the wreath to light it at night.  I guess, that is what I should have expected in 2020. 🤡

Now, it’s time to start on the Christmas cards and Christmas letter.  I used to write a note in the cards until my handwriting got hard to read — even for me!

Lenda

• Like 9

46 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

Susan

I am so sorry about your niece's husband.  Hugs and warm thoughts across the miles.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, durangoscots said:

Susan

So sorry to hear this. Condolences to the family and you. We will keep you all in our prayers 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, durangoscots said:

Susan

I am so very sorry to hear this!  

• Like 2

Hooray for Sunday and all of the Dailyites! Love the quote, and I think that I might just make the meal. It sounds delicious-and easy.  I know a lot of people that follow that quote. sigh.

Thanks you Rich for the thread and recognizing that Advent begins today. Our church has not had flowers or any decoration (save the day the Bishop visited), so it was so nice to walk in today and see many of the usual decorations up, and the crèche scene out on the front lawn. It's  disappointing that we can't sing (O Come, O Come Emannuel), but there was some recorded music from the choir, so that helped. And it looks like a Zoom carol sing is in the works. 🥰 Today, I will do some decorating, and the Advent wreath will grace our table.

It's a lovely day here in southwestern Ontario. My sister just messaged that my niece-a nurse on the transplant floor at the local hospital-has tested positive for COVID. There was a +ve patient transferred into the unit, so that will affect so many. 😞 My niece is beside herself as she now has to isolate from the family and she is in the process of trying to get ready to move into her first house in the middle of December.

@durangoscots, I'm so sorry to hear about your niece's husband. Such a tragedy for so many. Keeping the family in our prayers.

@cat shepard please have some key lime pie for me! 😋

Blessings to everyone!

Be well. Stay safe. Be kind. Wear a mask! 😷

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thanks Rich, Roy and all who make this a warm place!  

Not square dancing but this advent Sunday if you need to find some hope and joy,  google Jerusalema.   Such uplifting dance and music!  

we had a special visitor... 

990C3EA4-D0A0-4E21-A29C-B02BB7F64A78.jpeg

• Like 12

@durangoscotsI'm so sorry to hear of your family's loss.  Prayers for the entire family.

@Dismomx5I'm also saddened to hear of the positive test results for your niece.  Soon we will have vaccines arriving and those medical personnel who put their lives on the line every day will be at the top of the list for vaccinations.  Prayers for your niece and all her co-workers in the transplant unit.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

@Dismomx5I'm also saddened to hear of the positive test results for your niece.  Soon we will have vaccines arriving and those medical personnel who put their lives on the line every day will be at the top of the list for vaccinations.  Prayers for your niece and all her co-workers in the transplant unit.

This is sad news..... those vaccines can't get here soon enough. Just hope they do the job.

Susan

• Like 5