What’s the longest cruise you e been on?

CruzerDeb

Thanks for posting the picture.  A month long cruise not long by "long" standard, but eventually I will cruise for 45, 60 days.  Of my 35+ cruises, less than 10 were 7 days.  I had 5 weeks vacation, 15 paid holidays while I was working.  If I wasn't traveling with friends, I would not get on a ship for 7 days.

Sailing single, I like longer cruises, positioning ones, I always run into people I've cruised with before, even crew that have switched ships.  

• Like 1

19 days for us, Sydney to Singapore. Originally booked for my 50th birthday and ended up becoming our honeymoon as well.

I received the World Cruise email 2 days ago and I see the full suites are already sold out. I was just curious as to the price for a suite on a 111 day cruise. I love the itinerary for the cruise and would totally do it if I was rich. My husband hates any vacation longer than a week or two. He barely survived the 19 days, LOL.

I saw in this discussion a few people who have done world cruises. For those of you who have, were you ready to get away from ship life by the end or were you still loving every minute?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

For those who ask how we do that when we’re gone for months at a time (we have a house and yard and cars and friends and family and even a business or two)...I realized when watching a juggler entertain on a ship that it’s a lot like that. There is always at least one thing that feels a little up in the air... 

Thank you for your response to my question.

We are retired. Our longest to date was the 50 day segment of the 75 day "circle the pacific" on the Sun Princess from Sydney, Australia. We got off in San Francisco. This was on the Sun Princess. We also did an around South America cruise that was 49 days on I think Royal Princess. We love long cruises. We find that we set our minds on an expected debark date and then begin longing for home about 3 or 4 days before then.

• Like 1

The longest we have been on has been 14 day cruises.  (Two in Europe and one TA)  We usually factor in a day or two at each end for travel to and from the port, so its about 16-17 days.  This length usually works well for us.  Anything less is almost not worth the trouble you need to go through for packing, arranging flights, hotels etc..  Anything more, we might start to get homesick, miss our family and friends and of course the bills and chores have a way of piling up in our absence.  Still, my wife and I are always open for considering a longer cruise...

• Like 3

5 hours ago, katisdale said:

We are retired. Our longest to date was the 50 day segment of the 75 day "circle the pacific" on the Sun Princess from Sydney, Australia. We got off in San Francisco. This was on the Sun Princess. We also did an around South America cruise that was 49 days on I think Royal Princess. We love long cruises. We find that we set our minds on an expected debark date and then begin longing for home about 3 or 4 days before then.

That is exactly how it works for us, too. 

8 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

Thank you for your response to my question.

I have a lot of information in my blog (see web address below), but we did extended cruising for 10 years and continued to refine our preparation and how we handled things in our absence.

But, in general, our home is totally automated and we can control lights, heat, window treatments, even our lawn sprinkler system (not that we are running that in the winter) from our iPhones from anywhere, given we have internet access. Everything financial is online, we see photos of the mail that is delivered to our box each day (a neighbor picks it up once a week or so).  

The biggest single issue we’ve ever had is when a credit card we use solely for fixed payments (and keep in a safe deposit box) was compromised through the credit card company’s network. They notified us via email that they were sending out a new card, and we had two months to update any vendors who auto charged to it. But we were in the first few weeks of being away for four months. To complicate things further, we were on a ship in French Polynesia with very poor internet. We had to phone our neighbor using that poor internet, tell her to watch for the envelope and open it, and then we called her back to get the new card number and security code. Then we had to go online and update our card on file with all those vendors. 

On 2/10/2021 at 8:32 PM, PescadoAmarillo said:

150 days once, 140 days once, several times over 100 days. Like everyone else, we are going through a significant adjustment this winter, but I’m actually enjoying being home. Well, not being home, as in stuck in the house all day every day, but being home so that we can stay on top of everything is pretty nice. 

For those who ask how we do that when we’re gone for months at a time (we have a house and yard and cars and friends and family and even a business or two)...I realized when watching a juggler entertain on a ship that it’s a lot like that. There is always at least one thing that feels a little up in the air. If internet on the ship is good, it’s a thousand times easier than when it’s not. 

Amen to that!  DH frequently has to check on things at the office (our Daughters' law office).  Good internet really helps with that as well as good cell phone service on land.

5 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I have a lot of information in my blog (see web address below), but we did extended cruising for 10 years and continued to refine our preparation and how we handled things in our absence.

But, in general, our home is totally automated and we can control lights, heat, window treatments, even our lawn sprinkler system (not that we are running that in the winter) from our iPhones from anywhere, given we have internet access. Everything financial is online, we see photos of the mail that is delivered to our box each day (a neighbor picks it up once a week or so).  

I am finding more and more that banks and credit card companies and other businesses when detecting an IP address away from your home want to verify your identity before letting you get access to an account. They used to all allow sending a code to an e-mail address on record which can easily be accessed while traveling.

But more and more they are eliminating that as an option and will only send a text message or call a phone number on record. If you have a cell phone (I do not), then you need international access to get that text or phone call when traveling. If you do not have a cell phone, there is no way while traveling to get access to pay bills or verify credit card charges on your account.

They claim that an E-mail address is not secure while a cell phone is. However, even the head of Twitter had his cell phone hacked.

• Like 1

We like them long now - at least 21+ if possible.

The last one, Feb '20, was 28 days RT from Long Beach to Hawaii and Tahiti. We've had several 25+ TA's with the first or last European cruises added on. Whatever the length - it goes too fast!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

The biggest single issue we’ve ever had is when a credit card we use solely for fixed payments (and keep in a safe deposit box) was compromised through the credit card company’s network. They notified us via email that they were sending out a new card, and we had two months to update any vendors who auto charged to it. But we were in the first few weeks of being away for four months. To complicate things further, we were on a ship in French Polynesia with very poor internet. We had to phone our neighbor using that poor internet, tell her to watch for the envelope and open it, and then we called her back to get the new card number and security code. Then we had to go online and update our card on file with all those vendors. 

I used to stealthily read and enjoy your blog very much for the last few years.
It sounds like a year ago you had decided to be 'done' cruising---pretty good timing actually.

A year later, I'm curious if you are itching to get back to it?

☺️

On 2/10/2021 at 12:45 AM, CruzerDeb said:

See that Princess offers a World Cruise and just read a post where a person cruised for 60 days. I can’t imagine! But I’d love to ... 😀

So, please share your long Cruise experience!

The longest cruisers met were two Guys from Spain where the evening dress code was a themed.  The one we were on, the theme was the India/Far East.  Yes, Kimonos etc., etc..

They boarded in Barcelona, staying on the ship sometimes for a year or more, then disembarking when ever the ship was back in Barcelona.  

Their story was interesting, having over many years built up a large property empire, of hotels, bars, restaurants etc.  Then one day, totally out of the blue, a Spanish business consortium made such them an amazing offer for everything, they just could not refuse. One year later the financial/property crash happened in Spain.

The next longest was in Lady who lived on Regent for years prior to COVID.

• Like 1