If You Could Change Just One Thing?

Lady Arwen

16 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

There is no ambiguity IMO.  We know what we can wear and those who wish to tux and gown are more than welcome to do so.  But, it is not necessary to impose on all.  The rest of us can make an effort to dress up to whatever degree we are comfortable with and then all they need do is enforce the actual rules they do have (no shorts, t-shirts, ball caps, flip flops, etc).  Anything else is a guideline. 

That said, I am all for a change to smart casual and still if folks want to wear formal gear, go for it.

If there was no question of what to wear, then why are there threads on CC's Princess section about it? Clearly, there is a question of importance to some, including you. That was my point. I took no side in it, just stated that there is a question and shouldn't be.

You state there is no need to impose rules on us all, then follow that there are rules for us all regarding ball caps, shorts, etc... So, you do recognize the need for standards at some level.

The guideline by Princess formal night reads, "please observe." Self explanatory to most, not clear enough for a few. Most lines these days go for smart casual. OK, Princess, it's in your court.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 2

On 3/6/2021 at 11:38 AM, Thrak said:

I'm allergic to most perfumes. People who use good quality scents and use the proper (understated) amounts don't bother me. People who use cheap scent and/or apparently bathe in the stuff make me physically ill. 

However, I realize that many here seem to love the eucalyptus scented stuff and the simple solution for me is that I can just not use it as long as they give me an unscented bar of soap. We already bring our own hair products. If necessary I can bring soap as well but it would be hard to get on a ship and discover the soap was scented. I think I'll ad an unopened small bar of soap to my cruise supplies.

Hi Thrak-

I make my own body lotions/ butters etc. and I have a friend who makes

fabulous soap which she sells in her business.

The main point of this is that the majority of "affordable, inexpensive" tolietries

use imitation "fragrance oils" which are composed of chemicals and THAT is

what causes discomfort in people presenting as an allergy.

On the other hand, my friend and I use the genuine "Essential Oil" from the

plant itself- and yes, of course they are more expensive, but wonderful.

Of course, people can still have negative reactions with the "real" thing as well.

AND I FOR ONE CAN NOT STAND EUCALYPTUS ANYTHING! REAL OR NOT!

• Like 1

And I would love for Princess to bring back a cozy library with the stash

of games and books too. This is especially appreciated when on a longer

cruise. Then we could get into our jig saw puzzles and games with fellow

cruisers.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

There is no ambiguity IMO.  We know what we can wear and those who wish to tux and gown are more than welcome to do so.  But, it is not necessary to impose on all.  The rest of us can make an effort to dress up to whatever degree we are comfortable with and then all they need do is enforce the actual rules they do have (no shorts, t-shirts, ball caps, flip flops, etc).  Anything else is a guideline. 

That said, I am all for a change to smart casual and still if folks want to wear formal gear, go for it.

35 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

If there was no question of what to wear, then why are there threads on CC's Princess section about it? <<Because some people like to argue and debate, and there are some who wish to impose their idea of formal night wear on others instead of letting folks do as they see fit.>> Clearly, there is a question of importance to some, including you. That was my point. I took no side in it, just stated that there is a question and shouldn't be.

You state there is no need to impose rules on us all  <<NO, I did not.  I stated there is no need to impose formal wear on us all after mentioning the tuxes and gowns>>, then follow that there are rules for us all regarding ball caps, shorts, etc... So, you do recognize the need for standards at some level.  <<Yes, Princess does have specific rules barring certain items in the Main DR's - they are:  "Pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not welcomed in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.".  Everything else is a recommendation.>>

The guideline by Princess formal night reads, "please observe." Self explanatory to most, not clear enough for a few.  <<Yes, but that is a request/recommendation.  There is other published text by Princess that indicates a more relaxed attire is quite acceptable.  Such as: "For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes (or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse.".>> Most lines these days go for smart casual. OK, Princess, it's in your court.  <<Princess seems to have elected to leave the Formal Night situation as it has been, but by policy in practice accept a range of attire from smart casual to tuxes & gowns.  This way, people have the choice to dress up or down, but meet a minimum standard.>>

See above in red.  I don't mind the current Princess approach, but would be happy if they just changed it and went "formal optional" for the official policy.

Edited by Steelers36

On 3/6/2021 at 4:10 PM, oskidunker said:

My next two cruises are on Cunard partly because there is no longer a chair balcony cabins. Cunard actually has a sofa. Tired of talking about the chair. Ridiculous and they dont care. 

But doesn’t Cunard still have formal nights? Been there, done that, too many times.

• Like 1

I wonder if the powers that be at Princess actually read these boards. 

On Facebook, I actually got a reply from them on their page regarding the "noise issue". 

It was pretty lame, and hardly proactive.

Went something like this ... 

"Dear so and so. We're sorry that you found the sound volume too loud." 

That was it.  LOL 

I was tempted to write "Ok, so is someone going to do something about it?" But I figured I shouldn't waste my energy ... I'd get better results talking to a piece of furniture.  🤬

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

If there was no question of what to wear, then why are there threads on CC's Princess section about it? Clearly, there is a question of importance to some, including you. That was my point. I took no side in it, just stated that there is a question and shouldn't be.

You state there is no need to impose rules on us all, then follow that there are rules for us all regarding ball caps, shorts, etc... So, you do recognize the need for standards at some level.

The guideline by Princess formal night reads, "please observe." Self explanatory to most, not clear enough for a few. Most lines these days go for smart casual. OK, Princess, it's in your court.

"Please Observe" is asking. "Mandatory Formalwear Required" is demanding and not ambiguous.

To answer your question dress code threads are created only to push one's own agenda.

Anyone who has sailed before anytime dining was introduced knows that the dress codes were followed to the letter.  30 yrs ago,  2 formal nights and 2 semi formal nights (7 day cruise) was for the entire evening in every venue. Nobody changed after dinner. They didn't even have the buffets that they have now so there was no getting around it.  With the birth of anytime dining, buffets, and specialty restaurants formal nights just started to decline. People chose the buffets and specialty restaurants so they didn't have to dress up. The entire evenings atmosphere on formal night diminished. 

Celebrity even took it a step further by creating the class system that created 2 new dining rooms . One for suite guests and one for Aqua Class guests. Those venues did not require a formal dress code on formal night. The only place that formal was suggested was in the MDR for the 3rd class passengers. They finally came to realize that it was stupid and just renamed formal night to Evening Chic which left dress code up to interpretation.

• Like 1

Just a couple of comments.  Last year on the Coral just prior to shutdown, Princess tried a new term - "Dress to Impress" instead of formal night.  It allowed those of us who like to dress up formally to do so, yet didn't offend those who didn't wish to.  Head Waiters were just asking those who entered the dining room to make an effort, and definitely no jeans, etc.  Seemed to work fine.  We dress up for ourselves, not others.  If someone just wants to wear a pair of chinos and a nice shirt, good for them - it is their cruise as well.

As for the same drinks available everywhere - this should be a no brainer.  But other lines are the same.  On Royal Caribbean certain bars have craft beers and others don't.  Seems silly to me.

• Like 3

The thing is that we do not get to choose one thing.  We essentially select the entire package.  Some things we like, others not so much, and some we want to change.  That is the nature of a mass market cruise line.

Princess has been successful because of the 80/20 rule.  They tick about 80 percent of the boxes of each of the customers.  On balance a great product as their success indicates.

We are now strictly casual cruisers.  We combine cruises with extended land travel and we both only travel with carry on.  We often do not know if we will snag a cruise when we leave on a land trip.    So, not unusual for us to skip formal nights in the past.  Not a biggie for us at all.  It is a choice that we are happy to make based on our personal preferences.

• Like 3

I do love the walk in closet on Princess--doesn't bother me to see it as I walk in.

I do realize it is one reason that the bathroom and the room for seating in the cabin is smaller, so it is a trade-off.

The small closets with sliding doors ,on other lines, often right next to the bed so that they are hard to access are much harder to use for me.

• Like 6

I really want to thank everyone who responded to my thread starter over the past couple of days.  We heard some really interesting, and in some cases quite humorous, ideas.  Everyone was kind and respectful to their fellow members, which made it such fun to read each and every post.  

Wishing you all continued good health and sincerely wishing you all fair winds and following seas.

Ingrid 

• Like 2

Personally, I would like to see more "real" tables for two in the MDR. My wife and I prefer to have a quiet dinner, and not have to engage in conversation with strangers. Most of the tables for two on Princess are a joke. Some are literally three inches from another table for two. It's impossible to have a nice private conversation with just your spouse. I realize many people enjoy a large table and getting to know their table mates. But there are plenty of introverts such as ourselves who are very uncomfortable in that situation. 

• Like 17

1.      Lower the price for single occupancy. As far as I know the price for single occupancy is double (or almost double) the per person price. The only benefits; at least they have always a chair to sit on and more room if the second bed could be removed.

2.      Another option would be to have designated single occupancy cabins that will work just fine for 1 person.

No, I’m not a single person and am not planning to be one anytime soon. I just think that people cruising by themselves getting a bum deal with pricing. JMHO

Theo

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Jasperdo said:

Personally, I would like to see more "real" tables for two in the MDR. My wife and I prefer to have a quiet dinner, and not have to engage in conversation with strangers. Most of the tables for two on Princess are a joke. Some are literally three inches from another table for two. It's impossible to have a nice private conversation with just your spouse. I realize many people enjoy a large table and getting to know their table mates. But there are plenty of introverts such as ourselves who are very uncomfortable in that situation. 

They are like tables for 2 in Manhattan restaurants. One positive thing brought about by covid is social distancing so maybe for awhile the tables will become true tables for two.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

They are like tables for 2 in Manhattan restaurants. One positive thing brought about by covid is social distancing so maybe for awhile the tables will become true tables for two.

That's true. I would imagine that the seating arrangements in the MDR on cruise ships will look different when sailing resumes. That might be a good thing for people like me who have always followed social distancing.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Jasperdo said:

That's true. I would imagine that the seating arrangements in the MDR on cruise ships will look different when sailing resumes. That might be a good thing for people like me who have always followed social distancing.

Living in a highly populated area, I have been enjoying the lack of traffic and crowds in general. I will be sad when things return to normal congestion. The Long Island Beach experience was the best that I have experienced this past summer in all of the years that I can remember growing up. I'm 60.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

I really want to thank everyone who responded to my thread starter over the past couple of days.  We heard some really interesting, and in some cases quite humorous, ideas.  Everyone was kind and respectful to their fellow members, which made it such fun to read each and every post.  

Wishing you all continued good health and sincerely wishing you all fair winds and following seas.

Ingrid 

whaaat , are you signing off ?

Edited by c-boy

12 hours ago, CruisinCouple2010 said:

Totally agree with this. There seems to be no enforcement of deck chair hogging. 

I really don’t like chair hogs.  one thing I always do when I have to get up and leave my chair. I ask my wife to stay on it until I get back. See photo 😁

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

1DA18EC0-4186-4355-8031-8279D323A0C9.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 4