What cruising Covid restrictions will make you reconsider cruising as a vacation option?

gwsster

7 hours ago, AtlantaAlly said:

I have young children. I don’t think they’ll be vaccinated any time soon. So I don’t see us able to go with them- and I don’t think I can risk not being home at the end of the cruise due to a required quarantine because that would put a lot of stress on the babysitting grandparents. So will have to wait until it’s 100% normal. 

looking forward to learning CDC recommendations for vaccinated persons this week. 

Great responses to this question.  I am not too concerned about cruising other than I would like to be able to do the self directed excursions.  I hadn't thought about the having children issue and wow, that is a whole other fence to jump over.  I love seeing the kind and thoughtful perspective to the question.

The first thing I think about is masks. I will not cruise if masks are required because I won't enjoy that experience and don't want to pay for it.

The second thing is that I don't want the risk of cancellation of the cruise if there is a covidcase onboard. I must know that covidcases onboard will be offloaded and the cruise can continue before I'm prepared to take a cruise.

I don't like ship only excursions but I can live with it if I have to so that won't stop me from cruising.  

• Like 2

There is one thing I  would like to see discontinued, self-service buffets, but realise that will not happen! We shall simply avoid them entirely in the future, having witnessed gross unhygienic behaviour on countless occasions. One thing COVID-19 has reminded us is just how readily germs, in any form, are transmissible.

I would pretty much put up with any limitations to get back on a ship. I don't care if I have to wear a mask, social distance and have my temperature checked, I won't enjoy but can tolerate testing as required (as long as it isn't an anal test like the ones they are insisting on in China), I can even put up with organised excursions dependant upon itinerary. Just let me back on the damn ship!!

• Like 2

I need to know what will happen with a positive case found on board. I would be beyond sad to end my cruise early, but I cannot quarantine on top of vacation. I won’t have a job to come home too. My husband would be in hot water as well. 

I’ll gladly do any other restrictions. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SpainAlien said:

I would pretty much put up with any limitations to get back on a ship. I don't care if I have to wear a mask, social distance and have my temperature checked, I won't enjoy but can tolerate testing as required (as long as it isn't an anal test like the ones they are insisting on in China), I can even put up with organised excursions dependant upon itinerary. Just let me back on the damn ship!!

I agree with @SpainAlien. There's no restriction that would make me reconsider. None. I want to cruise, and I'm fine with anything. We already have to wear masks, we've done many cruise line-sponsored excursions and can't complain. We vacationed in Mexico last August and had a fantastic time despite the Covid protocols. Just get me on the ship. 

• Like 1

NEW C.D.C. RULES as of RIGHT NOW..

If you’ve been fully vaccinated:

You can gather indoors with fully vaccinated people without wearing a mask.

You can gather indoors with unvaccinated people from one other household (for example, visiting with relatives who all live together) without masks, unless any of those people or anyone they live with has an increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19.

If you’ve been around someone who has COVID-19, you do not need to stay away from others or get tested unless you have symptoms.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

By Fully Vaccinated they mean 2 weeks after the second dose of Pfizer or Moderna,  or 2 weeks after the Jansen single dose.

They also said no need for masks among vaccinated adults and low-risk groups (like children)

• Like 3

18 hours ago, sanger727 said:

Right,  but you don't know if they are going to quarantine you on a plague ship or  cancel the cruise halfway through until your are on the cruise and it happens. I think that is a possible ending however for every cruise when they start running. 

We're retired.  We've been vaccinated.  I've faced worse than being quarantined in the Haven.   

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am up for anything! I am hoping for a vaccine requirement so masks and social distancing aren't required, but I will deal with them if they are. I just want to be on a cruise! Whatever that looks like in the immediate future.

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Being serious, social distancing. I love meeting fellow cruisers and if I can't sit and chat, dine with others. sit at the bar with others... that's a no brainer for me... I'm out.  

Hopefully by May 2020, it'll be a different story and we'll all be meeting our wants and needs to cruise again with joyful anticipation of more to come. 

Good luck all 😉

I’m actually hoping some restrictions are in place like reduced passenger capacity, social distancing, and enhanced cleaning.  It would be lovely to enjoy a pool or hot tub without being crammed in with a ton of other people.  Ditto with bars.

I’m not exactly thrilled with the idea of cruise line only excursions, especially since we almost exclusively book local tours due to cheaper costs and fewer people.

Whatever the restrictions are, we’ll be grateful for them.

• Like 1

We are scheduled to go to Bermuda in June 2021 out of New York.  I contacted Norwegian who said the cruise is still on as of now.  However, upon more research, I've discovered that New York requires proof of a negative Covid test, then quarantine for 3 days, and then have another negative test.  Also, Bermuda has some protocols in store too.  If that is still the case in June, we will be cancelling.  I forgot to mention that this cruise was originally scheduled for May 2020, and was of course cancelled.  

https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/covid-19-travel-advisory

https://www.gotobermuda.com/bta/press-release/bermuda-tourism-authority-update

Until I can travel safely......mask off, no social distancing, no temperatures taken, no mandatory excursions, no covid testing before embarking and before boarding an international flight into the USA, I will not cruise.  Also, no need to quarantine after traveling.  While I still have a summer Med cruise booked, I doubt that I would feel safe enough to travel.  I am vaccinated, but there are many people who haven’t had a vaccine.  Most countries are not open to cruise ships. CDC said to limit travel to essential. A cruise is not essential travel.  

• Like 1

On 3/8/2021 at 8:19 PM, All-ready2cruise said:

Being serious, social distancing. I love meeting fellow cruisers and if I can't sit and chat, dine with others. sit at the bar with others... that's a no brainer for me... I'm out.  

Hopefully by May 2020, it'll be a different story and we'll all be meeting our wants and needs to cruise again with joyful anticipation of more to come. 

Good luck all 😉

Me too!

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see how they would actually handle a mandatory  ship-sponsored excursion. We are booked on an August 2021 cruise in Europe. While looking over the excursion options, almost every port has some sort of 'on your own' excursion, where they will transport you in to town and then pick you back up after 6 or 7 hours. I can't imagine that particular option will still be available.

Also, it is often the case that at some point during an excursion it is very popular to offer the passengers some time to shop for souvenirs. How would they handle that? The whole souvenir thing hasn't really been my thing, but it does seem to be very popular for many people.

I've no desire to mask up on board and no desire to take an expensive NCL excursion with 50 other people on their bus, so excursions and masks would be a deal breaker. Already had my vaccine so that would not be an issue

We're scheduled to sail on the Joy in August 21.  We are in the Haven so we have great accomodations which will help to offset any restrictions.  Since we're going to Bermuda I am wondering if excursion restrictions means we can't just walk off the ship and say walk to snorel park or just explore the area right there.  Does anyone here know? So we can't leave the ship at all unless on an excursion?  I was hoping to go to a beach which shouldn't be a problem but also do the Wednesday night street fair assuming that is still happening in Bermuda.  I know that's a ferry ride.  Anyone who has been to Bermuda I'd love to hear your thoughts.  I know that none of us actually know what will happen but cruising is getting closer and I just hope there are no more cancellations.