The Daily for Sunday May 02, 2021

richwmn

In  my  haste  to  get  Fred's  picture up  I  forgot  to  mention  that  my  nephew  will  be  having a  baby  with  his  partner in September. We  need  babies  in  the  family.

I  also  salute  my  DB. He  is  and  always  has  been  the  best.         Terry

• Like 17

Good morning to everyone. Hope you all have a nice quiet and relaxing Sunday. I did my dog walk this morning with great caution after yesterday's incident with the bear. What a horrible situation. Some people here are very careless with trash and bird feeders and the lot but this year so far had been a pretty quiet year for the bruins. The picture below was taken at my condo about 3 years when a neighbor kept leaving the trash bin unlocked. This morning when Bandit and I took our early morning walk I was more careful than usual, but all I saw were deer- which is a good thing.004.thumb.JPG.af6967c877e0e1001c793d9316e571c2.JPG

• Like 22

We visited Arhus (sometimes spelled Aarhus), Denmark in September 2011 on the Emerald Princess.  The cruise began with a Baltic cruise which we thoroughly enjoyed, followed by the British Isles, Iceland, Qaqortoq Greenland, Halifax and back to Ft. Lauderdale.  

It was a bright, chilly morning on Sept. 9, 2011 when our ship stopped in Arhus.  We enjoyed our walk through the town.  We saw this lovely canal running through the town.enhance

People liked to gather on the sunny side to dine.  I can't blame them.  It looks lovely!enhance

We made our way to a Viking Museum which was located underneath a bank.  Yes, really.enhance

As you walk down the stairs you see the levels with the years associated with that level.enhance

This thatched hut in the museum is a copy of a hut which was in that spot in Viking days, all discovered during excavation for the bank.enhance

Someone's bones found here in their final resting place.enhance

enhance

Then we saw this church called the Arhus Cathedral.enhance

It had some very unique features inside.  Like this Viking ship.enhance

And quite a fancy baptismal font I would say.enhance

enhance

enhance

Arhus is a great port to see.  I wish more ships would add these interesting places.enhance

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Baby Day - our sweet little grandbaby is growing up without us; we haven't seen him since last September, and of course, he's growing by leaps and bounds.  Love the Brothers & Sisters day - I always thought I was an only(adopted), until I discovered I had 3 half siblings, a brother and 2 sisters.  Yay!  We don't have a dog, but do love seeing mutts on their leashes as they walk past the house.

Yesterday was quite the day with all the things going on - this is like a small town where you never know what's going to happen!  It is good though, that we have a place like this to come to, whether it's to share good news or bad, knowing we won't be judged for how we are feeling.

Although today isn't going to be as warm as yesterday, I've decided it's time to repot my over-wintered succulents.  Some of them get pretty leggy and straggly, so it's time to chop them down and get them looking nice again.  I've got an old table outside that is perfect for dealing with plants, so now it's time to find new vessels to put them in.

I like today's menu suggestion, but there's a chicken thawing in the fridge that will be going in the oven later this afternoon.  If I get lazy, I'll just toss in some vegetables to cook around it, otherwise I might make garlic mashed potatoes and a side salad.  We'll see how ambitious I feel after dealing with the plants.

And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them(you know who you are), and even those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for Roy - good luck with your pre-op tomorrow.  Raising the glasses tonight to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay safe, be well, wash your hands wear your mask(s), and get your jabs!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 22

would like to sincerely thank my CC friends for their support and also the Daily. 👩‍💻

Looks like I just meet with with orthopedics tomorrow in San Jose, CA. I had all my xrays and CT scan at a hospital in Roseville, CA where we were having a mini-trip. Some trip this turned out to be.😒 The doctors all said I need surgery so I am hoping that I can get this ordeal over with. My 'take away' from this experience is pay close attention to your surroundings and keep on eye out for curbs!!! 

🙏🙏Prayers for others in need, too!🙏🙏

Katie ( wearing a Fall Wrist band 😢)..back to bed.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 7

I would be happy to be served baked ziti with meatballs, but tonight's dinner will be vegan sausage, rice, and bok choy, cooked in one pot - and I'll have to cook it myself.

I live in a Riesling-growing area - the Finger Lakes - but oddly I don't have any on hand. With the ziti I would more likely have Pinot Noir from a box.

Several years ago I broke my arm and spent 48+ hours in the hospital for surgery, where they annoyed me by enforcing fall precautions. Further, the hospitalists were bound and determined to diagnose a serious heart problem and grew more and more frustrated when they couldn't find one. They seemed to blame me for not having anything for them to discover.

Katie, Roy, and Sandi's sister are on the prayer list.

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Mutts: Pure of Heart, Not of Breed.

Since being declared for the first time in 2000, the first Sunday of May is known as “Mayday for Mutts” and normally kicks off a month-long promotion of shelter and rescue adoption. This promotion is a tremendous help to pet rescue organizations who have difficulty placing mixed-breeds due to the misconceptions about them.

Many years ago we raised purebred Norwegian Elkhounds, but for the last several decades we have normally had a couple of rescue mutts instead.

Our current rescue mutts enjoying “their” bed!!

mutts.jpg.4330621fa805122f15e6444b4b6ae094.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, GeorgeCharlie said:

Mutts: Pure of Heart, Not of Breed.

Since being declared for the first time in 2000, the first Sunday of May is known as “Mayday for Mutts” and normally kicks off a month-long promotion of shelter and rescue adoption. This promotion is a tremendous help to pet rescue organizations who have difficulty placing mixed-breeds due to the misconceptions about them.

Many years ago we raised purebred Norwegian Elkhounds, but for the last several decades we have normally had a couple of rescue mutts instead.

Our current rescue mutts enjoying “their” bed!!

mutts.jpg.4330621fa805122f15e6444b4b6ae094.jpg

Funny how with kids and dogs, nothing belongs to you anymore.  

A number of years ago my sister was talked into adopting a mutt.   A friend's daughters brought home the cutest puppy, but their father was having none of it.  The girls talked my sister into taking the pup because they were afraid if they returned the dog to the shelter he would be euthanized.  So, MJ ended up with an adorable puppy that turned into one huge dog named Moose.  That dog had the sweetest disposition and was wonderful with kids.   He even "ran away" once to go play with the kids down the street.  MJ had a devil of a time getting him to come home.  The best we could figure out was that he was part black lab.   We think he might have been part Newfoundland as well.  

• Like 17

I have all the ingredients for a Mai Tai, but for some reason I never bothered to try making one. That may change tonight!

It got into the mid 80s yesterday. I worked on switching out the wooden storm windows for the screens. Some are not in the best shape so we may be looking at installing new windows this fall. 

With the sun and warmth, things are slowly perking up in the gardens - 

20210430_155222.thumb.jpg.db00b8bd126766fd1d9ebc23de2679a5.jpg20210501_162558.thumb.jpg.d537fbbe337d467cd447a0b8d05e5eba.jpg20210430_155431.thumb.jpg.92b570e51f0d6373fe4affeb9fb5d3d8.jpg20210501_174503.thumb.jpg.34b86fdd398eb98807d3bf8eeed90889.jpg

And we had a visitor the other day!

20210430_184422.thumb.jpg.765ac4f84eef62d51e867489823a7642.jpg

• Like 27

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

The days are good, but I have no children or siblings or dog.

I like the meal (and Roy's) and drinks, but am watching carbs.

I haven't been to today's port. I will enjoy through others' pictures.

It's going to be warm and sunny today. I'll get out into the yard to do ta few things, as soon as laundry is finished up.

@rafinmd Good luck with your pre-op visit tomorrow.

@garlictown Prayers for your surgery.

@StLouisCruisers Prayers for your sister.

@cruzn single Azaleas are officially azalea japonica and have many varieties (sparse and full flower), so I do think your plant is a version of azalea.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Our first cruise was the Baltic on the Rotterdam and our first port was Arhus. We walked everywhere and then took the bus to the park where the Queen has her summer residence.
We met a lovely woman and her family. Her husband was the minister of the church the Queen attended when she was in residence. She invited us to her home for tea and said her sil would drive us back to the port.

We were paranoid about being back at the ship on time so we declined. We still regret that decision.

• Like 14

Good morning.  I think the sun is trying to come out, but we still have some clouds.  At least, it is not as dreary as it has been the last week.  🌤️ ☀️

An interesting collection of days, but with no babies in the family, being an only child, and no dogs in the family, I'll celebrate the days for others.  The quote was interesting. 

We have been to Arhus twice, in 2003 on the Rotterdam and in 2005 on the Marco Polo.

In 2003, we did a tour to The Old Town, Den Gamle By, which is a living museum of life from 1864 to 1974.  After the tour, we wandered around town, and got a Danish pastry.  In 2005, we just walked around town and got a Danish pastry.  While many will get coffee, beer or wine, when we are in a port we usually get a pastry or gelato, and we've been known to get both.  🍦🍩

These pictures were taken at Den Gamle By.  In addition to walking around the site, you could go into most buildings, and watch people performing tasks from that time period.

IMG_2312.thumb.JPG.c6452ae2086400c90bcdec35dd23cd9c.JPG

IMG_2315.thumb.JPG.269d647587e419d918db415945d3df90.JPG

IMG_2318.thumb.JPG.530b6cc0e3c9a7747da75689c508dda0.JPG

The pictures of Arhus were taken on both cruises.  I hope there are not too many almost duplicates.

Looking at the town from the Marco Polo

IMG_5926.thumb.JPG.9c8b19ba97d2184473bd7d3e70dcb9e4.JPG

The rest were from our meanderings on both cruises.

IMG_2335.thumb.JPG.1926ea25d80dcc064dd45e54d6c48c17.JPG

IMG_2336.thumb.JPG.89ac639c022a2c140246aaddc44dcb46.JPG

IMG_5930.thumb.JPG.898eada54dfa4fd8e8adb014a1dd2f69.JPG

IMG_5931.thumb.JPG.3adb975ee9044448f1d4233c692b03d7.JPG

Lenda

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

@rafinmdRoy...Thanks so much for the Grand SA cruise information.  I will enjoy reading it.  We have never done a cruise this long, and are looking forward to it. We have lots of time to prepare.

Gananoque is such a pretty little town, with spectacular scenery.

The tunnel is closed right now, and has been for most of the last year.  Our grandkids love walking thru it, and hopefully it will open again for the summer.

Thinking positive thoughts for you for  tomorrow.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, Dailyites!  I will be thinking of those anticipating surgery today, and saying a prayer for all.  Church will be on line, although we went to drive-by Holy Communion yesterday in the evening.  That is going to happen once a month here in our parish from now on.  

We were in Aarhus in 2005 - I knew the name sounded familiar, but Pat was not keeping a trip journal in those days.  We were on Westerdam, 8 family members, cousins and spouses and our youngest DD.  It was a fun trip, more about socializing that touring, but in Aarhus, we took a tour to a town in the hills called Silkebourg, whose claim to fame was an ancient mummified body!   I'm not positive about the locations of my photos - we had not learned at that time to synchronize all our cameras so the photos would mesh properly.

Aarhus, driving through, in the rain

DSCF0132_1.thumb.JPG.ad729b05cc9cd2e2441ec1ab65eb6ac7.JPG

P8083479_1.thumb.JPG.35f05c8bdd993765aca409be464430e3.JPG

Silkebourg, I think

DSCF0145_2.thumb.JPG.32cd5a50a47be8418c2a99e3a0e19e47.JPG

P8083465_1.thumb.JPG.9daf0c0c2c985aeb61f996793d99bbe7.JPG

DSC00547.thumb.JPG.160be64ca4e08d52448d0731126c62cf.JPG

The countryside en route between the two

DSC00555.thumb.JPG.4689ddac03950249f5a7c4a7caa344d1.JPG

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, all! I will celebrate my sister today by phoning her later. I enjoyed the quote. The meal sounds good, but somehow it is pizza day again, so we’ll go with that!

Rizu and company have been entertaining. She came out this morning and perched on the fence looking out at the lawn. She payed no attention when I said good morning and chatted to her. Then is said ‘Rizu’ and she spun around, looked at me, and raced over asking for her daily walnut. I have now learned two things. First, she clearly recognizes her name. Second, she thinks it’s the human word for ‘walnut’.

I look forward to the port pictures. I’ve never been there, and only know it from the song:

’Arhus is a very very very fine hus. With two cats in the yard, life used to be so hard....’

I’ll  see myself out.😄

Rizu, sitting on the base of a wind spinner and eating her morning walnut. 

D7854BD5-34B9-4468-983F-01A4142AC086.thumb.png.346c530600fe0691310923bd616bb56b.png

No joy getting a picture of the Rieslings playing together. They move too fast. This is the grey one sitting in his mother’s favourite deck chair.

FA30895C-CB56-459D-9DA2-7A658F4B9914.thumb.jpeg.959c42d5104a820008b07e81c4c83e48.jpeg

Happy Sunday, and enjoy the rest of her weekend!

752A3B01-15FB-49EC-8BC0-D772D4009853.thumb.jpeg.0396630207d6a44ce323d29198179f80.jpeg

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 20
  • Haha 2

Good morning everyone and Happy Sunday!!  Thank you for the Daily Rich!  

Great collection of days.  No more babies in our family now. I have an older brother who still lives in Colorado and his children are having lots of babies.  May Day for Mutts — Yay!  

Thank you for your lists Roy and good wishes for your pre-op tomorrow. 

The meal suggestion sounds really good and I might make that soon. I have a whole chicken in the fridge that I am going to spatchcock and marinate with Meyer lemons 🍋 today. 

I am enjoying all the pictures of today’s port, thank you for sharing!

In case you missed the sail away last night:

C15948D2-DB20-46B4-A2A4-3A2459732799.thumb.png.2b8875f71cf95e8ff6bdeb657e6e91f0.png

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 18

6 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Sunday Daily, Rich.  Babies will soon be a source of joy to @StLouisCruisers.    Sadly, I no longer have any brothers or sisters.  May Day for Mutts will be popular here.  Interesting Lewis quote.  My only Denmark port has been Copenhagen.  I think I've had Meatball Baked Ziti on a BHB.  My alternative is Sunset Salad, Broiled New York Striploin, and Apple Streusel as served on MS Nieuw Statendam May 2, 2019.

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2019/05/dishes0502.jpg

My hospital pre-op visit is tomorrow.

Today's care list:

Kakalina

myself facing cardiac surgery May 14

Welfare of furloughed crews

India

RIP Olympia Dukakis

Garlictown needing arm surgery

StLouisCruiser’s sister sister needing valve surgery

NextOne DH awaiting surgery

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Medina Spirit

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Crew vaccinations

Grandkids coming for StLouisCruiser’s niece

Laffnvegas visit with localady

Jab appointment for Ger+77 DS

Return of 4 Astronauts

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

I hope the pre-op visit goes well. A little tip:  Pulling the drains can be most painful.. Ask for morphine before they pull the drains!   Been there, done that~

• Like 6

Good morning and thanks all!   That Riesling sounds delicious!  
I will celebrate my brother who was gone far too soon.  I envy those with siblings!  
I like mutt day, they often make the best pets!  
@rafinmd hope all is well tomorrow!  

We've  been to Denmark twice, but somehow I think we missed this port.  Those photos make me want a Danish open faced sandwich!  Yum.  If anyone is interested in Denmark,  the Netflix series Borgen is really good. 

We have some other blossoms. 

E69CB6F3-C2BB-4FA1-B327-588CD2FF4B55.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 16

5 hours ago, summer slope said:

Good Sunday Morning.  No babies here, have 2 each brothers and sisters, and no mutts.  I LOL at the Joe E. Lewis quote.  The meal sounds wonderful.  Just bought meatballs from the deli yesterday. Roy's sounds delicious too.  Never been to Denmark so look forward to the photos.  Major prayers for all on our care list.  Toasts to our celebration list, and a welcome home to our Astronauts.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.  Hopefully many more will get their jabs!

Mai Tai:

Ingredients: 1 1/2 oz White rum, 1/2 oz Fresh lime juice, 1/2 oz Orange curaçao, 1/2 oz Orgeat syrup, 3/4 oz Dark rum
Preparation: Shake all ingredients except the dark rum together in a mixer with ice. Strain into glass and float the dark rum onto the top. Garnish and serve with straw.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice.
Standard garnish: Lime peel, Pineapple spear

Screen Shot 2021-05-02 at 7.42.54 AM.png

A  Mai Tai can make me quite  talkative.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We visited Arhus (sometimes spelled Aarhus), Denmark in September 2011 on the Emerald Princess.  The cruise began with a Baltic cruise which we thoroughly enjoyed, followed by the British Isles, Iceland, Qaqortoq Greenland, Halifax and back to Ft. Lauderdale.  

It was a bright, chilly morning on Sept. 9, 2011 when our ship stopped in Arhus.  We enjoyed our walk through the town.  We saw this lovely canal running through the town.enhance

People liked to gather on the sunny side to dine.  I can't blame them.  It looks lovely!enhance

We made our way to a Viking Museum which was located underneath a bank.  Yes, really.enhance

As you walk down the stairs you see the levels with the years associated with that level.enhance

This thatched hut in the museum is a copy of a hut which was in that spot in Viking days, all discovered during excavation for the bank.enhance

Someone's bones found here in their final resting place.enhance

enhance

Then we saw this church called the Arhus Cathedral.enhance

It had some very unique features inside.  Like this Viking ship.enhance

And quite a fancy baptismal font I would say.enhance

enhance

enhance

Arhus is a great port to see.  I wish more ships would add these interesting places.enhance

It looks like a beautiful pipe organ!

• Like 3

Thanks Rich for the fleet report.  Thank to Roy for the care list and shout out list. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread and to all who read it. It is a beautiful day here in Naperville.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, rafinmd said:

For some reason Nieuw Statendam seems to be hanging off Port Everglades:

Capture.JPG.6f5900fe256a2770397a6dfeb4c32be0.JPG

Roy

Still out there in the distance.  Perhaps the crew is soaking up the Florida sun!

• Like 5