The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday June 21st, 2022

richwmn

Good afternoon from a hot and humid 75°F North East England.

I have been out to work since 7am and just got home now at 13.30pm.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich and Roy for the various lists.

Interesting days and quote today.

Food looks nice after seeing Debbie's pictures.

Never been to Rouen but been to Paris several times most notably in 1981 on our honeymoon.

Prayers for everyone on the care list and for Sandi and her husband for better news tomorrow.

Graham.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

@smitty34877, Terry so sorry to read about your DH & Tana. How is Tana’s son coping?  And you are wise to look at ways to reduce your caretaker/chef burden. 

@StLouisCruisers, Sandi just caught up and saw your bad news. Praying that you both test negative tomorrow. 

Tana’s son graduates from eighth grade on Thursday. She very much planned on going and we hired an ambulette  to get her safely there and back. We are  really disappointed for both of  them as she is really unable to go at this time. Although we try ,we certainly can’t make up for her presence at such an event. 

Edited by smitty34877
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 14

49 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning to all and welcome to Summer. We have been to the port and toured both Rouen and Monet’s home in Giverney.I had looked into taking the train to Paris but it all seemed so rushed in spite of an overnight at the port.

My DH appears to have gout at the ankle joint instead of the great toe where he has had it before. I  was alarmed to see the foot and ankle very swollen,red and warm to the touch.We managed the MD appointment,bloodwork and X-rays within 3 hours yesterday.Walking is very painful. He starts prednisone this morning in an effort to decrease symptoms.

Our other patient unfortunately has pneumonia again and struggles to maintain her ability to cope.She is such a strong woman but it has just been a very difficult few weeks for her.We are  grateful for the good wishes and prayers from the Daily family.

Dinner tonight will be vegetarian chili with corn bread. It is bubbling away in my “crack pot” as I write.I am trying to come up with ways to cook that are less laborious….

1CEC6F33-ECB5-4D8C-B734-5F8435BB7C67.jpeg

I'm so sorry to hear your husband has gout and Tana has pneumonia.

Prayers 🙏 and best wishes to them both.

Graham.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. Finally it’s officially summer. Our pool is open but the water is ice cold. Unfortunately, no heater. Last night I went to an event at the clubhouse and we did make your own sundae and saw a short movie. Tonight, a different group is doing a pizza dinner and a movie. These two clubs are always back to back .

Prayers for everyone on our lists

Stay safe,

Carol

• Like 26

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  Today is another beautiful day in New England.  Things should warm up by the weekend.  I’ll pass on today’s meal suggestion.  I’m working on using up some leftovers from the freezer before we board the Zaandam.  I’m planning on doing my test on Thursday then finish all of the app work.  @kazu last time we were in Lancaster I picked up some strawberry rhubarb jam and it is very good. @dfish congratulations on the new family member.

image.thumb.png.7239bf088b888d0f199c71eec58f1675.png

• Like 16
  • Haha 14

I learned last night that there are problems with flights for my next two cruises. The first one includes a connection at AMS, where there have been colossal backups of passengers, resulting in many missed flights and an order to the airlines to reduce passenger loads, either by blocking seats or cancelling flights. The worst problems are at security for travel originating at AMS, but passengers connecting from the U.S. (and everywhere else not in the Schengen Area) are also encountering delays at immigration. I have plenty of time on the outbound part, not so much on the return.

For the second cruise, AA is discontinuing all service at the airport from which I was going to depart. The alternative airports are ~100 miles away and have awful flight schedules, with 30-minute connections. It's an award booking and I could just cancel it and book on UA for cash, I suppose.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 5

We just finished a late lunch/early dinner of Princess Gourmet pizza. Capricciosa. It’s about a 12 inch pizza and there is a room service charge of $3 but they waive charges on quarantine rooms. We’ve been eating lightly this week so 2 pieces of pizza is a lot for me. Covid stress has had my tummy in an uproar. Plus I got a cold sore on my lip which is always triggered by stressful times. No fun at all!  By the time I get home from this cruise I will be happy to sit home for a few months!  Although, I’d love to see my kids and grandkids. Perhaps we’ll do that. ❤️

Terry, @smitty34877what a shame to hear about DH’s gout and Tana’s pneumonia!  How disappointing she is too ill at this time to attend 8th grade graduation. Our thoughts and prayers are with your household.  🙏🏻

Rouen was a lovely stop on our Prinsendam “European Rivers” cruise several years back.  We stayed in town to explore and it was a great day. I think this port was mentioned previously on the Daily so if Lenda has time today, she could be posting photos from mine and her trips there. Jacqui’s photo of the old clock brings back happy memories. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 7

16 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We just finished a late lunch/early dinner of Princess Gourmet pizza. Capricciosa. It’s about a 12 inch pizza and there is a room service charge of $3 but they waive charges on quarantine rooms. We’ve been eating lightly this week so 2 pieces of pizza is a lot for me. Covid stress has had my tummy in an uproar. Plus I got a cold sore on my lip which is always triggered by stressful times. No fun at all!  By the time I get home from this cruise I will be happy to sit home for a few months!  Although, I’d love to see my kids and grandkids. Perhaps we’ll do that. ❤️

Terry, @smitty34877what a shame to hear about DH’s gout and Tana’s pneumonia!  How disappointing she is too ill at this time to attend 8th grade graduation. Our thoughts and prayers are with your household.  🙏🏻

Rouen was a lovely stop on our Prinsendam “European Rivers” cruise several years back.  We stayed in town to explore and it was a great day. I think this port was mentioned previously on the Daily so if Lenda has time today, she could be posting photos from mine and her trips there. Jacqui’s photo of the old clock brings back happy memories. 

We hope you both feel better soon and pass your next covid test so you can enjoy the rest of your cruise! 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning!  Happy Tuesday.  DH had an early meeting this morning, so I slept in until the pain of lying "comfortably?"  in bed got to be too much, add one cat on my back and it was time to get up.  They wanted breakfast.  

No, i never skate boarded.  They really were not around until I was old enough to know that you could really hurt yourself falling off one.  (age in my favor).

5146bb939c46aabcd1d1172ba6f68769.jpg

Happy Summer Solstice Day!  I used to have summer Solstice parties, but since I am not working with a bunch of people any more, I don't have folks over to eat watermelon, throw water balloons, and play silly games....I will however sit outside tonight and enjoy the length of the day-I just wont enjoy the heat.  If this is the first day of summer, and we are going to be over 100 for the next two days, maybe I should celebrate Welcome to Hades Day.  Bring your own marshmallows.

e31078b80ef5d2d25b5cdc9801acc6aa.jpg

Yoga sounds good,  I often lie on the floor, do some yoga moves and stretches that I learned from classes long ago, and then do a very serious meditation, on how to get up off the floor.  It usually involves climbing up some furniture.

yoga-tabby-cat.jpg

@StLouisCruisers  Sorry to read you are still in jail.

@dfish  Those dishes look great, I know my DH would love the one with walnuts.

@smitty34877 Prayers for Tana, she is going through so much.  And prayers for her son.  I am also sorry that your DH is suffering from gout.  Cherry juice always helped a former boss of mine.  Not sure why that works, but I know it is painful.

I wish you all a beautiful day!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

Morning. Cool here and I think the day will be pleasant with temps in the 70's. I am working at home today (I hope) continuing with the sorting. I am losing interest in the project but I still need to reduce the clutter. I am going to put some things on eBay with the idea of freshening up my cruise fund - such as it is. Have not heard from any of the local covid victims yet this morning.... hope they are all doing ok. This round of it really seems to be kicker.

Sorry that Tana will miss the 8th grade graduation. I know she is very disappointed as is her son. 

Best wishes and positive thoughts to all.... covid, gout, just plain rotten life experiences at present. Everyone needs a positive break. Enough already!!!!

Susan 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from a sunny, slightly breezy, and getting hotter quickly central Texas.  Between 8:30 and 8:45 am, the temperature went from 83F to 85F.  If we've been this hot while it was still spring, I'm not sure I want to celebrate the beginning of summer.  

Since I'm a natural born klutz, there is no way I'll ever consider getting on a skateboard, but it is amazing what some can do with a skateboard.  I've tried some yoga moves and positions from watching them on tv, but there are some where I would probably get stuck.

Today's quote from Twelfth Night by Shakespeare is a good one.

We'll pass on the meal and the wine.  There are very few Chardonnays that I like, and those have to very, very cold and served with food.  The drink sounds good, and we have the iced tea; now I just need the vodka.

The only time we've been to Rouen was on a train on the way to Paris.  I want to spend some time there someday.  Our two times stopped in La Havre, we went to Paris for the day.  The first time in 2004 on Noordam III, it was an overnight and we took the train to Paris.  The second time in 2009, on a shorter day, we took the ship's transfer to Paris.  We know we have just scratched the surface and need to return and spend more time there.

I found @StLouisCruisers Sandi's pictures of Rouen which. she posted March 10, 2021.  I'll post them in a few minutes.

@dfish  Debbie, I hope you and your doctor find some answers to the recurring pain and come up with a solution.

@smitty34877  Terry, you do have your hands full.  I'm sorry your DH has gout, and hope the prednisone helps relieve the symptoms.  My heart is breaking for Tana coping with pneumonia again, and how devastating it must be to have to miss her son's eight grade graduation.  While it won't be the same, I hope someone will video the graduation for Tana.  I know her son will miss having there too.  Sending positive thoughts that things improve soon.

@kazu  That jam looks good.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I'm glad you had a good day yesterday.

@kochleffel  I hope you get the flights arranged without too much hassle.

@marshhawk  Ann, I understand mediating before getting off the floor.  I can still get down and up, but it is not a graceful or pretty sight.

Lenda

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

This is the portion of @StLouisCruisers Sandi's first post of pictures of Rouen.  As you can see, it was the actual port for that Prinsendam cruise.  Again, I have put all her words in Italics.

Like Jacqui, we have been to Rouen, France too.  Maybe we were on the same unique cruise on the Prinsendam in Sept. 2018?  European River Explorer.   We sailed up the Seine River which was beautiful, by the way, and had an overnight stay in Rouen.  I'm fairly certain this was the port where members of the crew signed up for an overnight bus ride to Paris.  They arrived back at the ship around 4 am so some may have been dragging with tiredness, but they loved it.  We were only 78 miles from Paris so this must have been the port.

To add to Jacqui's photos this was a hotel we walked past and I thought it was beautifully done on the exterior. enhance

The Great Clock again.  Magnificent!enhance

Look at the detail underneath the arch!enhance

Rouen is known for its half timbered buildings, but I would be worried to be inside or standing next to this one.  My gosh! enhance

enhance

Don't you imagine something like this when you think of France?enhance

The beautiful Rouen Cathedral (or the Cathedrale Notre-Dame de Rouen) which was partially destroyed in 1944 by Allied bombing but rebuilt.enhance

Rouen is known for Impressionist artists such as Monet who painted this Cathedral often.  As pretty as it looks when walking inside I was shocked at how dirty and cobwebby it was.  Someone needs to get to work and make it shine.enhance

We ran into two of our favorite buffet wait staff out in town getting a snack.  When eating in the Lido we sat in Canaletto and they worked there.  enhance

If I come upon any more interesting photos I will share later.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 8

Sandi, did find more pictures of Rouen.

To add to @cat shepard's photo of the modern St. Joan of Arc church built in 1979, we were there when they were doing an archaeological excavation.  Looks like they found some bones here.enhance

This was the inside of the St. Joan of Arc church, modern but such stained glass windows!enhance

enhance

Also of interest was the trailer (or caravan) park across the road from our docking spot.  I took this photo as we were still docking.  We were told this was a gypsy caravan park, but who knows.  enhance

And just ahead of our docking space we could see this vertical lift bridge, named Pont Gustav-Flaubert bridge.  It was up upon our arrival. The next day it was down in the second photo.enhance

enhance

More flower photos just because I love them.enhance

Wouldn't you love to be walking down this street this year?  If only we could.enhance

• Like 26
  • Thanks 7

Good morning, all! To celebrate summer, we had a neighbor over last night for a hot dog roast and drinks. We wore jackets, and I had blankets on the deck chairs to keep out the chill as evening went on. We had fun anyway. Tonight we have friends coming for dinner and movie night. I’m making shepherds pie. It’s not a traditional solstice meal, but comfort food is still warranted in this chilly weather.
We’ve never been to France, but look forward to stopping at LeHavre on the World Cruise. Rich and Jacqui are right, and a day trip is not enough time to visit Paris. On the other hand, I’m really not likely to get there again. My feeling is if I can see it and hear it with my own eyes and ears, and feel the air of the place on my own skin, I’ll take that over never going at all, even if a moment is all I get. And so the excursion has been booked.

AND this morning I got the confirmation email from our safari operator in South Africa. Our 4 day stay in a Bush camp in Kruger National Park is confirmed, and our flight to Cape Town afterwards has been booked!

Happy Tuesday, everyone, especially those lucky enough to spend the longest day of the year on. BHB!

40D2A34D-FC5F-4533-BDFB-0A7AD925C151.thumb.jpeg.c0d8f3c21d83910ae00a85409026c533.jpeg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thanks all, @smitty34877 so sorry to hear about Tana and your DH,  sending prayers.    @kazu that jam looks wonderful @StLouisCruisers hope you feel better soon,  keep resting!  
We loved Rouen,  Monet painted that cathedral in all kinds of light.   We had dinner in the main square and were somewhat disconcerted to realize it was right where Joan of  Arc  was burnt at the stake.  It is well worth a visit as is Givernay,  Monet’s amazing gardens.     

For the garden club,  I tried growing black Pearl peppers last year,  and none bore fruit.   Well our DS’s partner has a green thumb and overwintered this one,  and after nearly a year and a half,   Lol! 

image.thumb.jpeg.60c78a7d3f4dac2991c4a059f02d3f01.jpeg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 5

Good morning.  I have always considered the summer solstice, Midsummer - now the days start to get shorter again, and we are on that slippery slope.  Here, though, summer seems to be just starting.  Going to take off the winter duvet today.

Pat was talking to a friend in England this morning, and he said Heathrow is a mess.  They are not loading baggage and so people are arriving at their destinations without their bags.  We leave for Copenhagen from Heathrow,, hope they get things sorted before July 14!  DD has given us GPS luggage tags which we supposedly will be able to use to track our bags.  I will have my carry-on stuffed with emergency gear...

@smitty34877, I am so distressed about Tana (and your DH)  - all Dailyites must get together and just bombard God with prayers for her recovery!  How sad she won't be able to attend here son's graduation. This Long Covid thing is just awful.  It has been on the news a lot here.

I spent a lot of time yesterday doing battle with a volunteer holly  bush/tree wannabe, and came away bloody but unbowed.  Pat filled two bins with my clippings and sawings.   My arms are a mess!  Also,  I tried to cut off the tip of a finger cutting DD's hair, and I stabbed myself in the cheek with a needle.  I need a vacation!  The doctor had changed my reflux pill, so I am hoping that by the time we leave I will be able to swallow at least small Tylenol pills.  I am missing my bedtime dose, and I really don't want to have to take everything as liquids in my suitcase. (Especially if my suitcase isn't going to make it.)

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Tana’s son graduates from eighth grade on Thursday. She very much planned on going and we hired an ambulette  to get her safely there and back. We are  really disappointed for both of  them as she is really unable to go at this time. Although we try ,we certainly can’t make up for her presence at such an event. 

Terry will the school be live streaming the graduation? Tana would still be able to see her sone graduate with the right device. 

• Like 12