The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday July 12th, 2022

richwmn

12 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Sandi.

We have lived next door for 40 years and won't move.

We have had a few uncomfortable moments with them.

Before they ignored Sarah I had paid for a luxury balcony cabin 30 night cruise and stay around Australia and New Zealand and gave them spending money out of my share on the sale of my late mam and dad's house for his 60th birthday 8 years ago.

I hope your leg is comfortable today.

Prayers 🙏 for Buddy.

Graham.

I'm shaking my head at their rude behavior.  They don't deserve a relationship with any of you at this point.🤷‍♀️

I'm trying different things on my leg today, for instance standing more (don't like that one), heat, ice, Voltaren gel and Tylenol.  Nothing gives long lasting relief.  I need to be patient.

DH just heard back from his biopsy on his face.  They want him to come in after it's completely healed to take a look at it.  They said it was a pre-cancerous spot so they might want to prescribe a cream to apply, or maybe another excision.  I'm sure they will take good care of him.  So he goes in on Aug. 23.  

• Like 13
  • Thanks 7

25 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I'm shaking my head at their rude behavior.  They don't deserve a relationship with any of you at this point.🤷‍♀️

I'm trying different things on my leg today, for instance standing more (don't like that one), heat, ice, Voltaren gel and Tylenol.  Nothing gives long lasting relief.  I need to be patient.

DH just heard back from his biopsy on his face.  They want him to come in after it's completely healed to take a look at it.  They said it was a pre-cancerous spot so they might want to prescribe a cream to apply, or maybe another excision.  I'm sure they will take good care of him.  So he goes in on Aug. 23.  

Standing made my knee pain worse.

The steroid injection in my knee has helped my pain.

You walk a lot as well as on your treadmill and that is excellent exercise.

I sincerely hope you get pain relief very soon.

Hopefully cream will clear your husband's pre cancer spot and it does not need cutting out.

Good luck for him when he goes in on August 23rd.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

We will move down the highway from Whitehorse to Carcross.  To reach Whitehorse from Skagway, you take Highway 2, Klondike Highway, which goes to Carcross.  From there you can follow the highway to Carcross Junction and take Highway 1, Alaskan Highway into Whitehorse.  The other way, is to take Highway 8 from Carcross to Jakes Corner and join the Alaskan Highway there.  

If you chose the to go through Jake's Corner, you will cross the Yukon on this bridge.

P1000745.thumb.JPG.60e9af55f7ee23238319305f640cf5da.JPG

Another picture of the Carcross Desert.  You might want to find another table for your picnic.

IMG_2631.thumb.JPG.f33572fe640289268cf97610aad2179f.JPG

One of the older buildings in Carcross

P1000752.thumb.JPG.30f2836954eb6bd0b89294f8700e3de0.JPG

The train station, which is now a souvenir shop.

P1000755.thumb.JPG.6ba851587881ceae1f7826731c797fce.JPG

The old railroad bridge

P1000754.thumb.JPG.71c61bafac4b3b37a4cca1fbce18406f.JPG

If your looking for a place to live and don't mind a fixer-upper, there are older places on the other side of the railroad bridge.

P1000753.thumb.JPG.545c5f325bd3fbfbb703b1e97e9ebad5.JPG

Since our first visit to Carcross in 1992, the town has evolved and become a tourist spot, with more shopping and eating places being added.  Also an old steam engine has been restored.  The D Chess in 2008 and in 2010.

IMG_2639.thumb.JPG.d0e4cee39045dea1244a0ae4efda8e93.JPG

P1000750.thumb.JPG.634fabaefd886da3ed9567e704cfa59a.JPG

The newest shopping area as of 2017, the last time we were there.

DSC08763.thumb.JPG.c2327072d5fc02a851714acb7fdd0f70.JPG

DSC08764.thumb.JPG.72a7d2bbd8af23c93873eb759a425d5d.JPG

In 2017, we were camped in Whitehouse, and decided on a warm sunny day to drive to Skagway.  When we got there, it was cloudy, cold and there was a bitter wind blowing off the Lynn Canal..  There were very few people on the streets.  I think most passengers from the Volendam, were in the stores or restaurants, on tour and back on the ship.  After getting a pizza at the Red Onion Saloon, we headed back to Whitehouse.  Once we were in Carcross the weather turned warm and sunny again. 

One the way back to the motorhome, we decided to take advantage of the good weather and visit Miles Canyon.  That's when we realized what a small world it really is, as we ran into a friend who was the Event Manager on the ship, and who along with her sister and one of the entertainers had driven up for the day.

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4

28 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I

Sandi,

Has any of your medical providers mentioned getting an MRI?  Something is going on.  

Terri

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Sandi, that is good news that your DH's spot was pre-cancerous.  Hopefully, all he will need is a cream.

36 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Jim.

Sarah just text to say she is still poorly but not to worry and there is nothing she needs tonight.

Graham.

I hope Sarah feels better very soon.

Lenda

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

durangoscots, so sorry to hear of your fall.  Just missteps make me nervous ! I'm glad that all worked out for you. Perhaps, you might think of carrying /getting a cellphone on your walks. My dd talked me into one and now its automatic when ever I go out...plus you don't have to get calls, you can always turn it off until you need it. ( at least that's what I do ! )

• Like 16

21 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Sandi,

Has any of your medical providers mentioned getting an MRI?  Something is going on.  

Terri

Not yet Terri.  I'll see my PA in a few weeks and see what comes up then.  And I've stopped the standing more and sitting less since it's not a blood clot.   That was mostly yesterday.

• Like 12

24 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We will move down the highway from Whitehorse to Carcross.  To reach Whitehorse from Skagway, you take Highway 2, Klondike Highway, which goes to Carcross.  From there you can follow the highway to Carcross Junction and take Highway 1, Alaskan Highway into Whitehorse.  The other way, is to take Highway 8 from Carcross to Jakes Corner and join the Alaskan Highway there.  

If you chose the to go through Jake's Corner, you will cross the Yukon on this bridge.

P1000745.thumb.JPG.60e9af55f7ee23238319305f640cf5da.JPG

Another picture of the Carcross Desert.  You might want to find another table for your picnic.

IMG_2631.thumb.JPG.f33572fe640289268cf97610aad2179f.JPG

One of the older buildings in Carcross

P1000752.thumb.JPG.30f2836954eb6bd0b89294f8700e3de0.JPG

The train station, which is now a souvenir shop.

P1000755.thumb.JPG.6ba851587881ceae1f7826731c797fce.JPG

The old railroad bridge

P1000754.thumb.JPG.71c61bafac4b3b37a4cca1fbce18406f.JPG

If your looking for a place to live and don't mind a fixer-upper, there are older places on the other side of the railroad bridge.

P1000753.thumb.JPG.545c5f325bd3fbfbb703b1e97e9ebad5.JPG

Since our first visit to Carcross in 1992, the town has evolved and become a tourist spot, with more shopping and eating places being added.  Also an old steam engine has been restored.  The D Chess in 2008 and in 2010.

IMG_2639.thumb.JPG.d0e4cee39045dea1244a0ae4efda8e93.JPG

P1000750.thumb.JPG.634fabaefd886da3ed9567e704cfa59a.JPG

The newest shopping area as of 2017, the last time we were there.

DSC08763.thumb.JPG.c2327072d5fc02a851714acb7fdd0f70.JPG

DSC08764.thumb.JPG.72a7d2bbd8af23c93873eb759a425d5d.JPG

In 2017, we were camped in Whitehouse, and decided on a warm sunny day to drive to Skagway.  When we got there, it was cloudy, cold and there was a bitter wind blowing off the Lynn Canal..  There were very few people on the streets.  I think most passengers from the Volendam, were in the stores or restaurants, on tour and back on the ship.  After getting a pizza at the Red Onion Saloon, we headed back to Whitehouse.  Once we were in Carcross the weather turned warm and sunny again. 

One the way back to the motorhome, we decided to take advantage of the good weather and visit Miles Canyon.  That's when we realized what a small world it really is, as we ran into a friend who was the Event Manager on the ship, and who along with her sister and one of the entertainers had driven up for the day.

Lenda

Thank you for your great photos Lenda.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon all.  It’s a warm humid day here.  Glad cows have a special day as well as Etch A Sketches.  Not quite sure how to celebrate a paper bag but I’m sure the Unknown Comic did!  The meal suggestion sounds delicious as do the wine and drink.  I haven’t been to Whitehorse, the closest was Carcross.  Prayers for all of those who need them including the folks in the Ukraine.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today.

• Like 15

Good Evening Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Late to the party today, still catching up with work.  I grew up next to a barn so I do appreciate cows and what they provide.  The meal suggestion sounds good and @dfish recipes look good good even with carrots. 😉. So far neither of us are suffering from any post cruise illnesses.  I hope that everyone has a good rest of the day.

• Like 18
  • Haha 1

Good afternoon!  The morning got away from me, long story but most of it was spent on hold with a government agency for DH. 

We have retired the flamingo. Craig needed a part for the pool vacuum and purchased a new gage while at the pool store. It’s a clown fish which seems to be more accurate than the flamingo by about 4 degrees.  Can’t believe we wasted a few weeks not getting in the pool because of a faulty old gage.  We are really enjoying the pool now. 

We are big paper bag users. Trader Joe’s uses only paper bags and then we use them for our recycle. Craig also uses lunch size bags for his popcorn cooked in the microwave. 

Sorry to hear about health and other issues. Graham, I’m hoping Sarah recovers quickly. Joy, I hope your DS finds out what is going on with her eye (maybe conjunctivitis? —very contagious BTW).  Susan, what a nasty fall. Similar thing happened to me when I was walking from a paved road to an unpaved road. Ouch. Hope your nose feels better. Crummy about your glasses!  I know I missed someone. Sometimes it’s hard to keep track. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

@durangoscots mostly glad your fall did not produce a concussion.  Has anybody looked at the jitterbug phone with a dedicated emergency button?

Roy

Actually, I have looked into it but I have a cell phone already. I did not have it with me. Believe me, I will carry it in the future. That spot where it is uneven is on city property and one of my neighbors is calling them about a repair.

Susan

• Like 18

Good evening. Thanks for the Daily/Fleet Report.

I appreciate cows! I had an Etch-a-Sketch as a kid. Paper bags are ok, but I like reusable ones.

Not sure about the quote. Pass on the meal due to the carbs. I like the drink and wine.

I haven't been to Whitehorse. Thanks for the pictures.

It's hot and humid here, with possible rain, but so far they've been wrong. I'm late today. I went out to a late lunch with BFF and another friend; Fortunately the restaurant was fairly empty.

@HAL Sailer Sorry to hear your DB is so sick with Covid. Prayers for him. 

@dfish I'm glad your and Donna's flights are straightened out.

@StLouisCruisers Hoping the leg feels better soon. Continued prayers for your family. It would be nice if DH only required the cream.

@marshhawk I hope you and DH will test negative.

@Dr.Dobro Welcome to the Daily! Fun picture.

@Cruising-along Sorry about the expensive skylight replacement.

@durangoscots Oh no on your fall and black eye! Thankfully no broken bones and that Bob happened to come by to help. 

@grapau27 I hope Sarah has a mild case.

@Seasick Sailor Prayers for your sister that her eye is taken care of ASAP.

@Norseh2o I'm very glad your DM has done well after her Covid diagnosis. Great that your sister is there with her.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Great photos!

@aliaschief Good to hear you are home safely.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 7

An update on my heat pump repair.  The technician came on time and replaced the motor.  He was going to replace the capacitor, but the replacement, made in China was obviously inferior to the one on the equipment (larger, made in USA and only 3 years old) so we decided not to change it.  He also added some R22 refrigerant and the system now works like new.  I was fortunate he had some refrigerant, as it is getting hard to find thanks to our EPA.  They started phasing it out about ten years ago, so if your air conditioner is older than that you will have a problem adding refrigerant.  Just looked online and a ten pound bottle is roughly $500. including shipping.

Ray

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

Just to let our Daily Family know that we are safely home, on time with bags. Yes, we are tired!

YAY on both you and the bags making it home 👍 

7 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Hope Heathrow will let us in, day after tomorrow!

Me too - crossing my fingers and toes for you 

6 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

We opted for a solar motorized opening skylight to replace what that crow did, and ended up with a better functioning skylight and a very nice tax credit. It replaced 35+ year old fixed plastic with opening dual pane glass. Our deductible on insurance far exceeded the cost of the item. And DH got a new gadget.😁

Sounds like a good plan 👍 Glad it is fixed and your DH has a new gadget 😉 

10 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I had a little bit of a restless night and leg pain in the early morning hours.  Still got up and walked my 2.5 miles on the treadmill.  No plans out of the house today.  

I am really relieved there is no blood clot but concerned about the pain you are still having.  Something must be causing it?  😔 

I wonder if something as basic physio would help?

Well, I don’t know what happened to my multi quote - I lost some of them.  @durangoscotsyour story is scary and brings me back to a few years ago when there was a huge crack in the street (we have no sidewalks) and my foot went.  I was in serious pain and the dogs were as good as gold and like you, the leashes were still in my hand.

I hobbled home but back then I had DH.  Now I am very cautious (ok don’t ask me about the toe 😂) and I agree with the others - get something that will let you get an alert out.

I am sorry you lost your glasses but relieved you are ok.

• Like 20

9 hours ago, durangoscots said:

Unfortunately when we started back I missed seeing a step up from the dirt to the asphalt and down I went - straight on to my face.

Oh, my, what a fall! Prayers, @durangoscots that your bumps, bruises, cuts heal quickly and without too much pain.

9 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Our Sarah rang last night to say she has Covid.

Prayers that your Sarah will have a light case and quick recovery. I'm sure you, @grapau27, and Pauline are very concerned.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Thanks  to @richwmn for the Daily/Fleet report and to @rafinmd for the Care and Celebration lists.

Our local neighbourhood supermarket provides paper bags to place fruit and vegetables in, to purchase.

Cows are important for our economy, plan to cook a Roast Beef Sirloin for dinner this evening.

Thanks for all the photos of Whitehorse.

It's another wet cold day here, temperature  only about 8 C. Snow forecast.

@aliaschief pleased that you and luggage are safely home. 

@Dr.Dobro welcome to the Daiiy, do you know the name of the Picton Air BNB?

@HAL Sailer sorry that your DB is so sick with covid, hope he will soon improve.

@Norseh2o sorry that your DM has covid, she is a wonderful age.

@durangoscots sorry that you fell, thankfully your neighbour arrived  to get help. Hope you are feeling better today.

@Vict0riann thanks for your photos, hope you have no problems  boarding  your flight. 

Best wishes  to all on the Care list.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2