The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday September 28th, 2022

richwmn

56 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

Quoting myself but with a VERY SAD UPDATE from my friend about her neighborhood. She isn't there but received this as she did the boat lift picture from her neighbor who is riding it out.

"L __ and L __  lost their roof. Mine is still holding. But, the house next to L & L - an older couple in a two story house- they stayed. For some reason the husband opened the garage door . Something about getting cats. The water rushed in. The garage door fell, hit him in the head and he is dead."

Sadder than I can imagine,

-M.

How terrible. I am afraid there will be more storm related deaths.

Susan

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Maybe the Junior Cat needs some catnip to improve her mood.

A cat-sitter once got the Senior Cat in Charge hooked on catnip, and I thought I was going to have to send him to the Betty Ford Center in Rancho Mirage.

• Like 4
  • Haha 15

2 hours ago, HAL Sailer said:

This isn't a very clear picture but it is of THE ROOF of a friend's boat well on an inland canal near Ft Myers. It was sent to her by a neighbor who is 'riding it out' in Hurricane Ian. ("Floating" is probably a better term than 'riding it out' based on this picture.)

Oh my heavens 😱 So many horrific pics.  I so feel for all of those going through it.  

2 hours ago, HAL Sailer said:

The Weather Channel just announced Ian's eye has officially come in at Cayo Costa. You can't drive from my family's place (or anywhere) to the island of Cayo Costa but it is ≈18 miles directly south of our place by boat.

-M.

1 hour ago, MISTER 67 said:

It’s unbelievable here right now on our golf course and condo, 125MPH winds with sideways rain and loud rumbles. We lost power at 3pm. Things should start improving around 6 pm at least I hope so. 29 years in Florida and never went through anything like this.

Oh my heavens - I hope things improve for you soon 🙏🏻 My prayers are with all of you.  We are all helpless in these storms and that’s very scary.

Stay as safe as you can, please 🙏🏻 

58 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

Quoting myself but with a VERY SAD UPDATE from my friend about her neighborhood. She isn't there but received this as she did the boat lift picture from her neighbor who is riding it out.

"L __ and L __  lost their roof. Mine is still holding. But, the house next to L & L - an older couple in a two story house- they stayed. For some reason the husband opened the garage door . Something about getting cats. The water rushed in. The garage door fell, hit him in the head and he is dead."

OMG Melissa - that is beyond tragic. 😢   That’s why they tell us to stay put and stay safe - so sad.

I have no words.  My prayers are with him and his poor wife.  I doubt anyone can get there right now to help her.  How absolutely horrific 😢 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HAL Sailer said:

-M.

That is such a sad, terrible story of the dangers of this hurricane!  Prayers for him, his wife and family and all others in Florida in danger.  So glad my DGD is nowhere near the Gulf coast of Florida right now.  Thank goodness for her friend's Grandma in Jupiter for taking them in.🙏

@MISTER 67those wind speeds in Punta Gorda are unbelievable!  I hope you are safe and the damage done isn't too catastrophic.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

-M.

Such a sad story. Prayers for him, his wife and family.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

My friend in Longboat Key finally let us know that they drove 7 1/2 hours to Fort Lauderdale- usually a 2 1/2 hour drive.  At least they are safe.  They don’t know when they will be allowed to return.  

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 4

11 hours ago, dfish said:

Many thanks to all of you!   The paperwork has been signed, sealed, and delivered.  This one is moving so much faster than the other one.  

Picture1.jpg.301b70318364737eb5e93d14481f2cc0.jpg

Picture2.jpg.03e62b2336698911fb3ec525dc930977.jpg

The exercise equipment will not be staying in the living room.  

Picture3.jpg.5636d7a68ed60fccb4c9166232d18b04.jpg

Picture7.jpg.33fa9dfc0e3899cf5a19a1c946b08a7d.jpg

Picture8.jpg.57fb330b87fb682c8bcda5c32d779422.jpg

Picture9.thumb.jpg.870d16e0b1321b8da858b0f3c643e3f2.jpg

All new appliances, granite countertops, and soft close cabinets and drawers.  And, we have a dishwasher!

Picture10.jpg.83a9ad3293fd6028ab41ba1ac21eb99a.jpg

Double oven for holiday baking!

Picture11.jpg.58ec0f01275324cf199f728ab4a14f8a.jpg

Picture12.jpg.057d7a7d66b4346430c94d2b16f29480.jpg

The house does have central air, but the sellers thought it needed a boost.   We'll see next summer.

Picture13.jpg.70202f89a04d02b1a1174b083c4de383.jpg

Picture15.jpg.551d1d74a28380aafaf6a947ff6e6852.jpg

Cannot wait to use this!  

The news out of Florida is truly heartbreaking.  But Debbie, your house is lovely and I'm so happy for you and Sue.  It has great light -- wonderful Feng shui.  Bet you guys will have some fabulous shared meals there at the lovely dining area.  Beautiful!

Everyone, stay safe out there.  Prayers are with those in impacted areas.  Kinda sad even here in California thinking that the house my grandparents lived in for over 50 years there in Naples is underwater.   But the people are important, not the property....

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HAL Sailer said:

-M.

Oh, Melisa, that is so sad.  

13 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

The news out of Florida is truly heartbreaking.  But Debbie, your house is lovely and I'm so happy for you and Sue.  It has great light -- wonderful Feng shui.  Bet you guys will have some fabulous shared meals there at the lovely dining area.  Beautiful!

Everyone, stay safe out there.  Prayers are with those in impacted areas.  Kinda sad even here in California thinking that the house my grandparents lived in for over 50 years there in Naples is underwater.   But the people are important, not the property....

Thank you, Maxine.  You are right, it is about the people, not the property.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Daily-ites for your caring thoughts about my dear friend's neighborhood tragedy near Ft Myers Beach. To be clear, I did not know the deceased nor his wife as I know my friend from our careers together in MI and I have not met many of her FL neighbors. But, as with you, I feel so terrible that such an unforseen and tragic event occurred.

-Melisa 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

@dfish What a beautiful house you and your sister have purchased! It is stunning and, like so many other Daily-ites have said, I can see why the two of you selected it.

From your photos, it is clearly one of those rare houses that send out "I could have a happy home here" vibes the minute you enter. Congratulations, again!

And, welcome back to Michigan,

-Melisa

P.S. What is it they say? 

"Karma is a _ _ _ _ _."

In this case, I think it should be:

"Karma was two sisters scorned!"

• Like 17

20 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

Thanks Daily-ites for your caring thoughts about my dear friend's neighborhood tragedy near Ft Myers Beach. To be clear, I did not know the deceased nor his wife as I know my friend from our careers together in MI and I have not met many of her FL neighbors. But, as with you, I feel so terrible that such an unforseen and tragic event occurred.

-Melisa 

Melisa

Just catching up. How tragic about your friend’s neighbor. 

Weather folk who are not known for their dramatization of events are calling Ian one for the record books and they fear their will be many tragic events before this is over. 

I am not sure where in my area this will happen, but I am currently in a swath on the rainfall chart that may receive 20 - 30 inches of rain. My head can not wrap itself around those numbers.

I am fairly close to the Intercoastal, and a State Park with areas of standing water. Then there is a section of the road that borders my subdivision that often floods, so perhaps those areas will bear the brunt of this. 

Friday can’t come soon enough. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, AncientWanderer said:

But the people are important, not the property..

That’s exactly what DH would say “you can replace things …you can’t replace people”   So true.

@jimgev I didn’t realize I lost you in my multi quote, sorry.  Hope you and Gevanne can stay safe in this horrific hurricane 🙏🏻 

• Like 12

20 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Melisa

Just catching up. How tragic about your friend’s neighbor. 

Weather folk who are not known for their dramatization of events are calling Ian one for the record books and they fear their will be many tragic events before this is over. 

I am not sure where in my area this will happen, but I am currently in a swath on the rainfall chart that may receive 20 - 30 inches of rain. My head can not wrap itself around those numbers.

I am fairly close to the Intercoastal, and a State Park with areas of standing water. Then there is a section of the road that borders my subdivision that often floods, so perhaps those areas will bear the brunt of this. 

Friday can’t come soon enough. 

Prayers for you 🙏🏻. Fiona wasn’t as bad as this for us but it is tiring listening to the wind and rain wondering what will / is happening.   I hope you all wake up in the morning with no serious damage and most of all - that you are all safe through this thing ♥️ 

• Like 13

Good evening!  Had a busy day but wanted to check in even though it’s late. One of our errands today was to the pet store to buy new toys for Blue. Craig is taking Blue to his brother’s while we are on our cruise. He lives 4 hours away. Blue loves his new toys because they squeak. At some point he chews the squeak away.  I love this picture because he is worn out after play time.  I confess, I placed the toys next to him. 😉
D7B76077-6EE3-4879-9F12-F9358FDB4B56.thumb.jpeg.7e0296dc8cbd57bbd6f28fcd971247e4.jpeg

Have a good evening!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

@dfish What a beautiful house you and your sister have purchased! It is stunning and, like so many other Daily-ites have said, I can see why the two of you selected it.

From your photos, it is clearly one of those rare houses that send out "I could have a happy home here" vibes the minute you enter. Congratulations, again!

And, welcome back to Michigan,

-Melisa

Thank  you!  It definitely is a unique house.  Not many like it.

P.S. What is it they say? 

"Karma is a _ _ _ _ _."

In this case, I think it should be:

"Karma was two sisters scorned!"

I love it!!

• Like 12

Debbie @dfish!  Congratulations!!!  Celebration is in order. 🍾🥂 I love your new forever home , it looks so ranch like, almost Frank Lloyd Wright. I would love it, and am surprised it stayed on the market. See, things happen for a reason! BTW, I love miso. It’s a very misunderstood ingredient. It makes a wonderful marinade for fish when combined with sake and rice vinegar and sugar. I have a recipe if you are interested. 

Graham @grapau27, I’m sorry about the lesions that need to be removed, but it sounds like your doctor is being proactive. 

Terri @Cruzin Terri, I truly hope you are able to go on your trip. I think it would be the best thing for you both. 

Prayers for everyone in the Southeast suffering from Ian. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good evening!  Had a busy day but wanted to check in even though it’s late. One of our errands today was to the pet store to buy new toys for Blue. Craig is taking Blue to his brother’s while we are on our cruise. He lives 4 hours away. Blue loves his new toys because they squeak. At some point he chews the squeak away.  I love this picture because he is worn out after play time.  I confess, I placed the toys next to him. 😉
D7B76077-6EE3-4879-9F12-F9358FDB4B56.thumb.jpeg.7e0296dc8cbd57bbd6f28fcd971247e4.jpeg

Have a good evening!

Cute photo.

• Like 4