The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday October 13th, 2022

richwmn

3 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning from the Nieuw Statendam at sea on the way to Sydney. I don’t know how fast we are going but it looks and feels like we are sitting still in the water. Sydney isn’t very far. 😉

Last night our Daily group ate at the Pinnacle Grill. Lovely time. 

3D8C9800-DD22-4405-B8E3-8EF711AE78E7.thumb.jpeg.3e7e0ff3ca1dbe7348e524d9e14ac80e.jpeg
Nicholas & Robin @Live4cruises, Edi @NextOne, Debbie @dfish, me, Rich @richwmn, Henry & Carolyn @Cruising-along, Craig. Fun times. 

Have a great day everyone!

What a lovely photo.

Pleased to hear you are all having a wonderful time.

Graham.

• Like 14

A salute to the US Navy!   My DBIL was a long time Navy deep sea diver.    A strange group of days.   The quote is a good one though.  Thanks Rich for the Daily and Fleet Reports each day!    I will pass on the meal, the cocktail and the Gruner wine.   I think I may have hit the trifecta, three ports in a row that I have been to.  

Prayers for all on our care report and for those in Ukraine who are bearing through horror in non-military areas.  Prayers for good health and happiness for all here!   

Today is a day of housekeeping, still on the first load of bedding and then I will mop and vacuum the whole house.  If wine that I am expecting comes early enough we will head out and enjoy the leaves.  We have too many gloomy days coming so today is it.   

I was in Malaga in September 2018 on the Konigsdam.  As usual my shore excursion involved horses.   It was a unique opportunity to ride and Andalusian horse.  It was beautiful Mediterranean weather and the drive out and above the city through another seaside town was beautiful.   

Malaga.jpg

Malaga riding 918.jpg

riding in spain.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, lindaler said:

Great photo of all of you. Did you get a blue light special? I guess you have to be old to know what that means. 

Very funny. I almost got run over years ago in K mart when a blue light special was announced on Aisle 5 and I was standing  5 feet from Aisle 5. Hello Mobile; RNB originally from Montgomery.

• Like 14
  • Haha 5

Good morning Dailyites. Another beautiful day. Thank you Lord!

Yesterday we had couples pedicures and another friend joined us. The guys wanted Mexican food so off we went. We were all so stuffed and took most of it home. 

I had invited 15 ladies over on Wednesday, October 19th to meet my sister and have a Girly girl night. Well, about 7:00 LAST night... the doorbell rings. 2 gals at the door with a veggie tray.. I invited them in and they asked if they were the first ones here for the party.. the doorbell rings again.. 5 gals! We had a mini party and they said they'd come back next week for the real party. We played games and had a fun night.

I salute all of our veterans and especially today for our Navy.

We have a doctor appt this morning, out for lunch, and have our regular weekly Mahjongg girls over tonight.

Have a wonderful day. Blessings, Cheers and prayers lifted to all of our Daily-ites needing some support and hugs.

• Like 23
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Dailyites. Another beautiful day. Thank you Lord!

Yesterday we had couples pedicures and another friend joined us. The guys wanted Mexican food so off we went. We were all so stuffed and took most of it home. 

I had invited 15 ladies over on Wednesday, October 19th to meet my sister and have a Girly girl night. Well, about 7:00 LAST night... the doorbell rings. 2 gals at the door with a veggie tray.. I invited them in and they asked if they were the first ones here for the party.. the doorbell rings again.. 5 gals! We had a mini party and they said they'd come back next week for the real party. We played games and had a fun night.

I salute all of our veterans and especially today for our Navy.

We have a doctor appt this morning, out for lunch, and have our regular weekly Mahjongg girls over tonight.

Have a wonderful day. Blessings, Cheers and prayers lifted to all of our Daily-ites needing some support and hugs.

Joy that's hilarious that 7 of your friends showed up a week early for girl's night!  It was a good idea to just have a mini party, sort of a trial run for next week.😁

Here's another photo of Ellie (Elliott Rose) for you.  I'll have to ask for new photos of her to see how she looks this week.  They change so quickly! 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLPNa3SYyARFf5Tpq2fDOpSrnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1665497070

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Joy that's hilarious that 7 of your friends showed up a week early for girl's night!  It was a good idea to just have a mini party, sort of a trial run for next week.😁

Here's another photo of Ellie (Elliott Rose) for you.  I'll have to ask for new photos of her to see how she looks this week.  They change so quickly! 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLPNa3SYyARFf5Tpq2fDOpSrnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1665497070

So precious!! Love Ellie pictures! And Camilla pictures (hint..)

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, thank you Tina for today's recipes, and thank you Dixie for today's cocktail recipe. And thankyou all for being here!

Happy Birthday from a Coastie to the Second Oldest Sea Going Service of the United States of America. We will be visiting Malaga for the first time November 7 on our Oosterdam Transatlantic. 

My brother's Funeral Mass will be tomorrow with my oldest daughter representing me due to distance and time constraints. I feel a bit guilty not being there. He will always be my big brother.

Stay Safe!

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 8

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

A big salute to the Navy. I try not to be too skeptical. Haven't worn a suit for years. Sometimes silly sayings are fun. Interesting quote.

I like sweet potatoes, but I'll pass on the meal. I'll pass on the drink and wine.

I've been to Spain, but not Malaga.

The roof got finished just in time! We had thunderstorms late last night and today. It's cooler today and on Monday our highs will only be in the 40's 🥶. My birthday treat to myself is coming today; a new iphone 14 pro.

@msmayor Thanks for checking in, and I'm glad all is well.

@StLouisCruisers Thank you for the Malaga photos. Awww, another sweet picture of Ellie.

@kazu All my hydrangea flowers have already changed color. 

@Sharon in AZ Great picture of some of the Dailyites.

@marshhawk I hope you get your crown fixed today.

@ottahand7 Nice Malaga pictures.

@Heartgrove Don't feel guilty; I'm sure the family understands and knows you will be there in spirit.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

25 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

A big salute to the Navy. I try not to be too skeptical. Haven't worn a suit for years. Sometimes silly sayings are fun. Interesting quote.

I like sweet potatoes, but I'll pass on the meal. I'll pass on the drink and wine.

The roof got finished just in time! We had thunderstorms late last night and today. It's cooler today and on Monday our highs will only be in the 40's 🥶. My birthday treat to myself is coming today; a new iphone 14 pro.

@StLouisCruisers Thank you for the Malaga photos. Awww, another sweet picture of Ellie.

@Heartgrove Don't feel guilty; I'm sure the family understands and knows you will be there in spirit.

Stay safe everyone.

Happy Birthday Vanessa!!!  🎈🎈🎈

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Heartgrove said:

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, thank you Tina for today's recipes, and thank you Dixie for today's cocktail recipe. And thankyou all for being here!

Happy Birthday from a Coastie to the Second Oldest Sea Going Service of the United States of America. We will be visiting Malaga for the first time November 7 on our Oosterdam Transatlantic. 

My brother's Funeral Mass will be tomorrow with my oldest daughter representing me due to distance and time constraints. I feel a bit guilty not being there. He will always be my big brother.

Stay Safe!

- Jack

Jack, it's not always possible to get to a funeral, due to too short of time, or health issues.  Everyone knows you'll be there in spirit and prayer.  I feel the same way about my dear sister who passed.  She'll always be my big sis. 😢

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

Two other police officers were killed in the line of duty yesterday, in Connecticut.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/13/nyregion/bristol-connecticut-shooting.html

I heard that this morning too.  There are way too many losers out there who have no respect for the law, especially those who are trying to enforce it.  Prayers for them and their families.🙏

46 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Stay safe everyone.

Happy Birthday wishes to you Vanessa!  Nice gift.  Is today the actual date?  So glad your roof was finished in time.

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, Dailyites.  Another interesting day.  I'm happy to hear about all the events and celebrations, and I pray for those undergoing hardships and losses.  My cousin's caregiver feels Vicki will not last the month, she is home, but very weak .  It is so sad, of all of us cousins when we were children, she was one of the youngest, we called her "the brat";  she was full of mischief.  She had a full life, she painted, wrote books, she was a race walker in the LA Olympics, and very involved with Sheltie rescue.   She showed many of her dogs and trained them all in agility.  She has a huge china bowl in her study of ribbons she and her dogs won.  Her husband visited, but now will not return until after she passes.  They think his brother will then put him in a home near him in Monterey.

Jacqui, I posted on your other thread, but that was an invitation to stay with us, we would love to have you any time you are making your way to SD.  BTW, I used Air Miles to get us to SD on December 27th.  The prices were horrendous otherwise - more than the cruise!

We are pretty much in a disaster zone here.  So dry, our reservoir is down to about 70% and if we don't have a really rainy winter, we will be in trouble next summer.  The salmon are dying in the hundreds of thousands, they are unable to make it up their spawning streams as there is no water.  

DD is cooking today - it will be Mexican, but I'm not sure what it will be.  I have not seen sweet potatoes in the fridge, though, so I don't think it will be today's recipe.  But it will be spicy, I'm sure!  Malaga is a lovely port, we have enjoyed it every time we've been there, especially doing "tapas tours"!

We 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

37 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Happy Birthday Vanessa!!!  🎈🎈🎈

Thanks Sharon. My Birthday was on the 4th.

17 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Happy Birthday wishes to you Vanessa!  Nice gift.  Is today the actual date?  So glad your roof was finished in time.

Sandi, it was on the 4th, while I was on the short getaway with BFF.

@Overhead Fred Thanks for the photos.

@Vict0riann Sad situation all around with your cousin and her DH. That's scary about the water situation where you are. Prayers for rain.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Thank you so much for the postings, recipes and companionship. This is the first page I read in the morning. The courtesy and kindness shown to all helps to set the tone for my day and reminds me that there are lovely people in this world.

• Like 28

A late good morning from windy central Texas.  I'm going to repost my pictures of Malaga before I begin commenting on the Daily.  This is just in case I get side tracked again. 😉

We have been to Malaga three times. In 2016 and 2017, we were on the Prinsendam, and in 2019, the Veedam stopped there on her way to Boston.

On our first visit, we took the Ho-Ho with a stop at the Castle of Gibralfaro.

DSC07193.thumb.JPG.a54fb3812ae7447e1db852f4f2277b29.JPG

DSC07195.thumb.JPG.9d1c6b80923b97514960e3980fd88bd5.JPG

The Elegant Explorer from the fortress

DSC07199.thumb.JPG.3d544559f4d8fa343900e8f8ded5dac6.JPG

On our other two visits, we took the shuttle from the ship to town and walked around.  This is the view from the shuttle dropoff.

DSC02675.thumb.JPG.6f7d39410bb76ded35ad78ec3948ee69.JPG

We visited Picasso museum and birth place.  Evidently we were'nt allowed to take pictures in the latter.  The outside of the museum and the central courtyard.

DSC02679.thumb.JPG.0569eab291364b74ec38c8582c97aef4.JPG

DSC02680.thumb.JPG.a22911117efabe2c3d8bf07eca56c6da.JPG

The Roman Theater and the Alcazaba from street level

DSC02699.thumb.JPG.5fa1ea02fcced96d4b8d417d1488e6fa.JPG

DSC02700.thumb.JPG.dba91415213c0ac2ff43edf804d16c24.JPG

In 2019, we found the elevator which took us to the top of the Alcazaba

DSC08218.thumb.JPG.bb98845933ce20c655c78378aaf525dd.JPG

DSC08221.thumb.JPG.51cd910060bbee56b8fec706ef0ff75b.JPG

DSC08210.thumb.JPG.279b0536710f52af0b209362d1623b20.JPG

Malaga from the Alcazaba

DSC08216.thumb.JPG.a5835f404dcf8ae30069acd0dc0fe6bb.JPG

A nice beach

DSC07191.thumb.JPG.ca11264a1e888ac59fb7ca13bf8f1437.JPG

After our Ho-Ho tour in 2016, we walked around town.  We were there during Fashion Week, but did not see any of the shows.  Different sections of the seats were reserved for various designers, some of who's names I recognized.
DSC07224.thumb.JPG.f6da7e94244dd2291206566698ae50bc.JPG

DSC07225.thumb.JPG.ec9bdcb170a0ec293f7dfe519037b49e.JPG

In 2017 and 2019, there were festivals in town, along with band concerts and more informal performances.

DSC08185.thumb.JPG.a4266d1d91e675a47d23317ed21dc79d.JPG

DSC02710.thumb.JPG.c1203da0db986cb5dee4179920b54d0b.JPG

DSC08227.thumb.JPG.1f857557b6a301a27d95cf1aa15b082a.JPG

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4

I'm due to be at Malaga in November 2023 on the Oosterdam. I've bookmarked one of the recipes and, for a change, I actually have the ingredients. Surprised by Wine Enthusiast's recommendation to drink the wine of the day 2030-2050 since long aging of most whites is unusual.

I lived for a while near the New London Naval Submarine Base, knew many submariners, and officiated once at a wedding in the officers' club.

2 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Happy Birthday from a Coastie to the Second Oldest Sea Going Service of the United States of America.

I also worked in New London, across the road from the U.S. Coast Guard Academy.

1154865249_HalloweenDL.thumb.jpg.5a024340280e58d2475d16cb7baf751b.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Good afternoon!  Thanks for daily report!

@rafinmdRoy, I noticed you often post fruit soups, they are so good on Hal, though on our last zaandam cruise we only saw them once on the menu in mdr.

Great photos!  I take photos, but they are not well organized.  Someday?

last night we went to a lecture on Mesoamerican carved Greenstones.  It was so interesting I am getting the book from the library.  I had gone to graduate school in Mexico, but there have been so many new discoveries since then.  

Best wishes to all!

• Like 22

Good morning and thanks all!  That dinner looks interesting and the drink!  My uncle was in the US navy so I will salute that too.  So tragic the number of law enforcement deaths,  so senseless. 

Wee’ve been to Malaga years ago, so enjoying others photos.   We visited Puerto Banus and the King and Queen of Spain were on board a yacht twin to the Christina,   It was very impressive and a little scary with machine gun armed guards on the roofs.   

@kazu glorious hydrangea’s,   I have hydrangea envy.  I only have a couple.  
@Vict0riann so sad the drought, we saw videos of those poor salmon.  

C411D5B3-EE2D-496A-A99E-9753015E7334.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 1