The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday December 15th, 2022

richwmn

Good morning, 

I'm sipping my Earl's Garden tea from Murchies. I really enjoy Murchies teas when I can get them. They deliver to the US and it's free if you order $50.00 which isn't hard if I wait a bit! 

My friend Wayne, who passed in September, did some subbing right after he retired. He subbed for our first grade teacher one time only and described the experience as herding cats! 

DH continues to slowly improve. I'm taking in our wheelchair today so they can use it to practice transfers. I had originally said I wanted him to be walking when he came home but that was before the deep tissue injury and before I knew the extent of the two spots. If we wait for those to heal he'd easily be in rehab for a couple of more months. So, I've indicated I'll be okay if he comes home with the wheelchair. He can transfer from the bed to the chair and back, is able to stand (but still needs to build a bit more stamina) when holding on to the bars or the pole, and I feel we'll be ok with him at home. We'd have a visiting nurse almost daily for wound care as well as PT and OT coming to the house. I'll have to have specialized transportation to get him here but we'll see how that works. 

Meanwhile Mother Nature is messing with us. We're having some cold mornings and clear days but it's supposed to change Saturday afternoon and that darn white stuff is predicted for about 5 days with accumulations of up to a foot. Then, by the 22nd, it's supposed to turn to rain.  If we get that accumulation I'll be staying home as I'm not a snow driver if I don't have to be! 

@ger_77 Do you use white sugar or brown in the filling for the butter tart slice? I'm thinking of doing 1/2 raisins and 1/2 currants. I made my shortbread yesterday but I couldn't find any berry sugar (or extra-fine) down here so I'll have to stock up my next trip to Canada. 

Have a lovely day! 

Karen

• Like 25

11 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

couldn't find any berry sugar (or extra-fine) down here

I've discovered that when I ask in a store for superfine sugar (as the Domino package calls it), they often look at me like I was speaking some other language and then direct me to the natural-foods section. If there isn't any in the baking supplies, sometimes it can be found in the beverage section, as it's also used in bartending.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

Good morning, 

I'm sipping my Earl's Garden tea from Murchies. I really enjoy Murchies teas when I can get them. They deliver to the US and it's free if you order $50.00 which isn't hard if I wait a bit! 

My friend Wayne, who passed in September, did some subbing right after he retired. He subbed for our first grade teacher one time only and described the experience as herding cats! 

DH continues to slowly improve. I'm taking in our wheelchair today so they can use it to practice transfers. I had originally said I wanted him to be walking when he came home but that was before the deep tissue injury and before I knew the extent of the two spots. If we wait for those to heal he'd easily be in rehab for a couple of more months. So, I've indicated I'll be okay if he comes home with the wheelchair. He can transfer from the bed to the chair and back, is able to stand (but still needs to build a bit more stamina) when holding on to the bars or the pole, and I feel we'll be ok with him at home. We'd have a visiting nurse almost daily for wound care as well as PT and OT coming to the house. I'll have to have specialized transportation to get him here but we'll see how that works. 

Karen

Good luck with everything. Been there and done that. 

• Like 14

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

I'm hoping for admission into the exclusive Messy Bakers Club with this application:

1276244257_IcingSugar.JPG.a82761f9f22d517c4181f9536e2c5ba9.JPG

That's icing sugar on my well-worn moccasin.

I may be able to match this later today.  

2 hours ago, summer slope said:

DH is NEGATIVE. Yea. 

Wonderful news!   

I haven't started the pumpkin rolls yet.  Did my in the house route of laps this morning and did get all the ingredients out and on the counter.  Now, to organize them and get started.  

@kazu Jacqui, so glad you made it to San Diego.  Enjoy your cruise.

Here are the reversing rapids in Saint John.  We were there in October and will be back next July.

20221016_155417020_iOS.thumb.jpg.eca9676789e8473399d3c21e1c715906.jpg

And our ship from the park across the way.  

20221016_164237559_iOS.thumb.jpg.1db2b2254eb8b0ded0f27d8f0abe512d.jpg

And one of the famous sea caves on the Bay of Fundy.  We watched as the water rose quite quickly.  

20221016_194810061_iOS.thumb.jpg.9c081220c38f9a56eecd0b5d6a6527e3.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 8

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I'll salute the cat herders on the Daily. I don't re-gift; usually donate anything unwanted. I told BFF we're cutting back on the excessive gifting we do for each other, since neither of us need much. I'm an occasional tea drinker; coffee is my preference. Interesting quote. I like the meal, although I try to limit pasta (even though I love it). Pass on the drink, but the wine sounds good.

I have not been to Saint John, NB. I haven't seen much of Canada yet.

I heard you can get another 4 free Covid tests at covid.gov/tests, due to the uptick in cases.

It's sleeting/raining here. The temp is now up to 37F, so it should be only rain. The news had school delays scrolling at the bottom of the screen this morning. My mission today is continued straightening up of this untidy house. 

@kazu I'm glad you made it safely to San Diego.

@Seasick Sailor Great picture of you two.

@smitty34877 Fingers crossed that you'll get the medical clearance. Continued prayers for Tana.

@dfish Thanks for the recipes. Hoping for a safe commute for Sue. Nice photos from Saint John.

@StLouisCruisers I'm glad DD is managing ok. Enjoy HMC!

@grapau27 I didn't think you got much snow in England, but I guess I was wrong.

@summer slope GREAT News! DH is out of Covid jail.

@superoma Great light display.

@luvteaching It sounds like you've got a good plan for DH to come home.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone in the path of weather.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning from Willemstad Curacao. Waves crashing ashore makes me want to go back to sleep.

Last night's movie (Where the Crawdads Sing) was good. Allen and I cuddled under the blanket (HAL puts them out on the loungers) and had our popcorn and drinks. It's like a big drive in theater under the stars. Tonight's movie is a "Christmas Story" We may choose Jim David (Comedian)

We are here from 7 am til 10:30 tonite. We don't have anything planned on shore, so will take our time. 

Prayers lifted up. Sandi hoping DD is feeling better. Dixie hope your DH has a negative test.

Prince Charming has awakened, I'll catch up soon.

1214221749a.thumb.jpg.ac599b3f61dfa9a8ec292e0c722112b8.jpg

Well, how many times have I been to Bonaire? 5?

Today was a new day. Allen wanted his news and nap. So I met 2 sisters that wanted to go on the walking tour. I acted as the tour guide.

The decorations are still going up.

Looky what we did!

Yes! We had a taste of rum and a few puffs of a cigar!!1215221147_HDR.thumb.jpg.59a2e7ab989e9b1bd826d50fff18cc9c.jpg

1215221102.thumb.jpg.491b0485ef98ee3492484c77e64727fa.jpg

1215221137.thumb.jpg.42bc1cdaf161266507b49ae484ee9155.jpg

1215221133a.thumb.jpg.96ff00b652826ad190a8029d1b722d56.jpg

1215221055.thumb.jpg.0ab5bb5cea8d8eb95bf2d86fc0581956.jpg

Edited by Seasick Sailor
Remove dup
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 6

2 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I'll salute the cat herders on the Daily. I don't re-gift; usually donate anything unwanted. I told BFF we're cutting back on the excessive gifting we do for each other, since neither of us need much. I'm an occasional tea drinker; coffee is my preference. Interesting quote. I like the meal, although I try to limit pasta (even though I love it). Pass on the drink, but the wine sounds good.

I have not been to Saint John, NB. I haven't seen much of Canada yet.

I heard you can get another 4 free Covid tests at covid.gov/tests, due to the uptick in cases.

It's sleeting/raining here. The temp is now up to 37F, so it should be only rain. The news had school delays scrolling at the bottom of the screen this morning. My mission today is continued straightening up of this untidy house. 

@kazu I'm glad you made it safely to San Diego.

@Seasick Sailor Great picture of you two.

@smitty34877 Fingers crossed that you'll get the medical clearance. Continued prayers for Tana.

@dfish Thanks for the recipes. Hoping for a safe commute for Sue. Nice photos from Saint John.

@StLouisCruisers I'm glad DD is managing ok. Enjoy HMC!

@grapau27 I didn't think you got much snow in England, but I guess I was wrong.

@summer slope GREAT News! DH is out of Covid jail.

@superoma Great light display.

@luvteaching It sounds like you've got a good plan for DH to come home.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone in the path of weather.

When I was a child we regularly got 2 feet of snow but now with global warming it is usually 2-4 inches here in North East England.

Screenshot_20221214_185816.jpg

• Like 14

3 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Well, how many times have I been to Bonaire? 5?

Today was a new day. Allen wanted his news and nap. So I met 2 sisters that wanted to go on the walking tour. I acted as the tour guide.

The decorations are still going up.

Looky what we did!

Yes! We had a taste of rum and a few puffs of a cigar!!1215221147_HDR.thumb.jpg.59a2e7ab989e9b1bd826d50fff18cc9c.jpg

1215221102.thumb.jpg.491b0485ef98ee3492484c77e64727fa.jpg

1215221137.thumb.jpg.42bc1cdaf161266507b49ae484ee9155.jpg

1215221133a.thumb.jpg.96ff00b652826ad190a8029d1b722d56.jpg

1215221055.thumb.jpg.0ab5bb5cea8d8eb95bf2d86fc0581956.jpg

Lovely photos Joy.

You always have a lovely smile on your face.

Graham.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

If I can get this typed within the next few minutes it will still be Good Morning!  ☀️

I like international tea.  My favourite is Yorkshire Gold.  I feel like herding cats is a good introductory course to having children.  

I’ve been to Saint John when I lived an hour away for 50 years.  It was actually 3 years but it felt like 50.

2 hours ago, 0106 said:

I also drink lemon tea and was on the Oosterdam with Gerry.  We had fixed seating in the MDR.  After the 1st night my waiter knew to bring me a pot of lemon tea at the end of my meal.  About half way through the cruise, he said that there were no more lemon tea bags.  I reluctantly accepted green tea.  The next night, he approached my table with a twinkle in his eye.  He said he found some lemon tea bags and hid them for me.  Every night he gave me one for my after dinner tea and one so I could have lemon tea in the morning.  This is the kind of extraordinary service I have come to enjoy when  I sail on a BHB.  

This is a great example of why I love fixed seating.  ❤️

Raining here.  I have much to do.  Posting on CC is a good procrastination tool but if I get it out of my system I can move on with my day.  Christmas is coming far too fast.  🎄

Adding:  I missed the deadline so it’s Good Afternoon!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

17 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Indeed you can, and they'll ship next week. Insurance, including Medicare, will also cover them, but since they're not a pharmacy item, you might have to file the claim yourself.

• Like 14

Thanks for our Thursday Daily, Rich.

And Good morning from San Diego.  There are few grumbles about it being too cool this morning from the locals.  LOL for me, it’s just fine and I’m in my Birks.  

Great collection of days - I have been called a herder of cats a few times - but it referred to tours not to my cats even though I once had 5. 🙂.

522DB22C-645B-45AE-9DD8-976EE7C21AE2.jpeg.16e59e51f1fd1a8c74e058f093664230.jpeg

Re-gifting is not something I am comfortable to do.  Will happily celebrate tea any day - particularly like herbals like Robois & Hibiscus although I have a selection.

Love todays quote.  And of course, I know the port of the day very well although I have never arrived on a ship 😉 A bit of trivia - Saint John is the oldest incorporated city in Canada and it’s City Market dates back over 100 years.

850B5D1F-AA0B-47A8-8810-D8B3D1F6FCF9.jpeg.02010ac210a731e09546a7f2bb15fab7.jpeg

Yesterday was an interesting and tiring day.  Plane to get out of Dodge was late and then delayed as they de-iced and de-iced.  When we got to Toronto, my connection was already boarding.  Thank heavens the gate was close by 😥. Montreal was a very long walk and my foot and leg weren’t happy - the guy that drives the golf things said he couldn’t take me to U.S. Customs.  When the lady at Customs saw me she lifted the cattle crawl ribbon so I didn’t have to walk so far and she was fuming as she asked why I didn’t get assistance and got the answer.

@Vict0riannI had mobile passport on my phone (yes I had an app on my phone 😂)but it didn’t work - he couldn’t scan it and there was no special line - no biggie - I breezed through in less than 10 minutes.

45F6FCD3-9EE8-49BB-975C-B518D60D2BB2.thumb.jpeg.3b1f58a4cf8b9433ed35f2cdc6d37c79.jpeg

I have to say with the very short connection time at Pearson I was amazed to find my bag made it to the plane on my air tag app.

I have a feeling today is going to a very lazy, relaxing day.  There even may be a nap later 😉 

5 hours ago, kochleffel said:

Rich, what is the source for the maps?

You beat me to the question. 🙂.  Thanks for checking. 👍 

5 hours ago, richwmn said:

cruisemapper dot com - but I have to add the ship names.

Thanks for confirming 👍  - I was pretty sure that was what it was but not 100% sure.  Have a great time on the Koningsdam 🙂 🚢 

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

DD is doing well and even crawled upstairs to her own bed last night.

So happy to hear this !

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

And Annie @marshhawksnow on Christmas is fine if you're going nowhere but everyone else has to drive through it to get to Grandma's house, or wherever, so we don't want S N O W!!  Maybe it could just snow on your house!  LOL!

I’m with you on the snow 😉 

2 hours ago, summer slope said:

DH is NEGATIVE. Yea. 

Hallelujah !  

3 hours ago, ger_77 said:

I'm hoping for admission into the exclusive Messy Bakers Club with this application:

1276244257_IcingSugar.JPG.a82761f9f22d517c4181f9536e2c5ba9.JPG

That's icing sugar on my well-worn moccasin.

Not sure about that, Gerry.  You should have seen the mess in my kitchen after I did mine - on me, the floor and the counter.  The joy of icing sugar 🙂 I think this is what you were talking about the other day for wrapping?

718B764A-9027-4D60-9319-67FCB955D1AE.jpeg.c4409ea595f45a77dca601b39eea2491.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

56A17396-7A53-4648-809D-C1EC1519AAC2.thumb.jpeg.0d2f648d0e2b094c38e4fad765f774e7.jpeg

Have a great day everyone and stay safe

• Like 29
  • Haha 8

46 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

I couldn't find any berry sugar (or extra-fine) down here so I'll have to stock up my next trip to Canada. 

@kochleffelIt is easy to make your own super fine sugar.  All you need is granulated sugar and a food processor or blender. Simply give granulated sugar a spin in your food processor. For every cup of super fine sugar needed, process a cup plus 3 teaspoons of granulated sugar.  With just a few pulses, you'll have your very own homemade version.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Lots to read today, thank you, all Dailyites!  We were happy to hear that Jacqui made it to SD, I'm longing for some warm weather, too.  Less than two weeks now for us until we leave.  I went downstairs yesterday to drag up some clothes to wear, now I have to try things on!  I will be terribly out of style with all my old stuff, but it will just have to do.  I have ordered a fancy bow tie for Pat to wear for NYE, that and his blazer will be it for him!

I'm sorry the mobile passport didn't work in TO, or was it Montreal? That's terrible that you had to go through both airports!  I do prefer Montreal to Toronto.  We are hoping to use the mobile passport in Vancouver but we do realize that they have just started accepting it and there may be glitches!  We use it all the time in Seattle, it makes life much easier.

I don't think we've been to Saint John, but on a driving trip we saw the tidal bore in the Bay of Fundy so we must have been somewhere in the area

My English cousin is leaving in a few days for Peru.  Just saw they have declared martial law there.  I'm hoping she cancels.  I'm about to email her, but I'm not sure what to say.  She won't do what I tell her, anyway.  Talk about herding cats!

Happy news today on the Daily Covid front!  And @smitty34877, I hope your surgery goes smoothly.

• Like 21

5 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning everyone.  I am still in limbo regarding medical clearance and hope to hear today about blood work that was not  good. Yesterday the cardiac issues were cleared by the doctor so I am hoping for the best.

DD and DSIL were cat herders yesterday when they had the windows replaced on their side of the house. The house was built over one hundred years ago and we are situated midway down a steep hill. The Hudson River is about a mile away and due to our location we get wicked wind all winter. It just swirls up from downtown to us and rattles the windows in the front of the house. Our turn is next year. We look forward to it.
We have been to the port and enjoyed our visit there.I will drink tea on occasion . The meal sounds interesting.

@Sharon in AZ, a very Happy Belated Anniversary wish to you both. I enjoyed your wedding picture,a very handsome couple!

@Seasick Sailor, I always enjoy seeing pictures of the two of you and your cruise sounds terrific. Continue to enjoy yourselves.

I hope you get your medical clearance today Terry 🙏🤞

Best wishes.

Graham 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from a frosty PNW.  At least it isn't snow.

Loving all the cat herding memes today.  I'm not much of a tea drinker, I prefer coffee but do have tea in the afternoon once in a great while.  I don't think I've ever regifted anything...but if I ever got a fruit cake, that would have been regifted lol.  Will pass on the food, drink and wine.  I'm afraid not much sounds good to me yet.  I alternate between feeling ravenous and kind of "icky" so this thing just doesn't want to let go.

Thank you Debbie @dfishfor posting your photos.  We were with Debbie that day so my photos would be the same.  

Very happy to hear that Jacqui @kazumade it safely to San Diego!  I hope you can just rest today.

I'll be making cookies today because the grandsons are coming for an overnight tomorrow.  DH got the tree up and helped me get the lights on it, so now it's ready for the boys to decorate for me.  I'll just give them the boxes of ornaments (most of them are from our travels) and let them go at it.

Have a great day everyone.

• Like 21

Good morning still here! And thanks all, we visited New Brunswick eons ago, so no photos.  
I love Tea,  drinking a lot of Kusmi, and Harney and sons.   My favourite is green tea passion fruit but hard to find.  Also ordered some AJ Perch  from Europe. DH is a Yorkshire gold man or Red rose,  only in Canada….   I also love teapots, bought a hundred year old Chinese one at auction recently.  

@kazu so glad you made it!  Enjoy!

1 hour ago, luvteaching said:

Good morning, 

Meanwhile Mother Nature is messing with us. We're having some cold mornings and clear days but it's supposed to change Saturday afternoon and that darn white stuff is predicted for about 5 days with accumulations of up to a foot. Then, by the 22nd, it's supposed to turn to rain.  If we get that accumulation I'll be staying home as I'm not a snow driver if I don't have to be! 

@ger_77 Do you use white sugar or brown in the filling for the butter tart slice? I'm thinking of doing 1/2 raisins and 1/2 currants. I made my shortbread yesterday but I couldn't find any berry sugar (or extra-fine) down here so I'll have to stock up my next trip to Canada. 

Have a lovely day! 

Karen

I’m glad things are looking up!  I giggled about the grade ones!  When DD first taught kindergarten she said mom, they don’t even know how to line up!  I laughed and said that’s because you have to teach them!  Thanks for the reminder about  Murchies! 

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

If I can get this typed within the next few minutes it will still be Good Morning!  ☀️

I like international tea.  My favourite is Yorkshire Gold.  I feel like herding cats is a good introductory course to having children.  

I’ve been to Saint John when I lived an hour away for 50 years.  It was actually 3 years but it felt like 50.

This is a great example of why I love fixed seating.  ❤️

Raining here.  I have much to do.  Posting on CC is a good procrastination tool but if I get it out of my system I can move on with my day.  Christmas is coming far too fast.  🎄

Adding:  I missed the deadline so it’s Good Afternoon!

Still morning here!  Hope you’re doing ok! 

if you look carefully you can see two of the neighbors in broad daylight

A95C1539-D28A-4E03-A23F-14FB7003695F.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 23

Good afternoon from a cool, not windy and sunny central Texas.  This morning DH had a blood test scheduled (no particular time), and I needed to go to the grocery store.  Since they are  basically next to each other (only Sonic in between) we managed to get both accomplished in one trip.  The store had a special of 25% off of six or more bottles of wine.  I got a case of my Riesling and a bottle of bubbly for New Year's or some other special occasion.  An added bonus was the 5% senior discount on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

I like National Cat Herders day.  Once older DD was president of the wind ensemble she is in, and she compared the job to herding cats.  I very rarely have regifted any thing, but after my mother was diagnosed with MS many of her friends would give her different lotions, powders, etc.  She did not use them and would regift them.  We learned early to label each one with the giver's name so we didn't regift it to the wrong person. 😄 I prefer tea (what in Texas we call hot tea) to coffee, but I usually get my caffeine from diet Dr. Pepper or Coke Zero.

I like the Rumi quote.

The meal sounds good, especially the one with Italian sausage.  We'll pass on the drink, but the wine would be nice to try.

We have been to St. John, NB, twice in 2004 on the old Regal Princess on b2bs from NYC.

@smitty34877  I hope you can be cleared for the surgery.  

@dfish  Debbie, I hear you about the flour, sugar and powdered sugar all over the kitchen and the baker.  I think Gerry @ger_77 qualifies for membership in the Messy Bakers Club since she had sugar on her shoes.  Some must have also fallen on the floor and on the counter.  😉🤣

@ger_77  I say you are a member of the Messy Bakers Club.

@0106  That was a good commercial.  EDS was founded in Plano, Texas, by Ross Perot.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I'm glad DD is doing well after her foot surgery, and that she managed to crawl upstairs to bed.

@summer slope  👍 👏  Glad DH is negative.

@Cat in my lap  Good news the luggage is on the way to your ship.  

@superoma  Eva, the pictures of the light display are wonderful.  Thank you.

@luvteaching  Karen, I hope your DH will be home for Christmas, and that once home there will be a nurse taking care of his foot.

@kazu  Jacqui, glad you made it to San Diego, but sorry about the guy in Montreal not taking your to US Customs.  Sounds like you found a nice customs agent.  Enjoy San Diego, the warm weather, and relaxing.

@Vict0riann  Ann, don't worry about the older clothes.  Most of my cruise clothes are ones I've had for years, if not decades.  Since they are only worn on cruises, I can't see replacing perfectly good clothes, other than to add a new top or two once in awhile.

@Cruising-along  Carolyn, I'm sorry you are still not 100 percent.  Take it easy and rest when you need to rest.  Are you going to share pictures of the tree after the grandsons finish decorating it?

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 6