The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday January 29th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

38 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

. I wonder about the difference between cross- cutting and micro-shredding?

Both cross-cut and micro-cut shredders offer far more security than a strip-cut shredder. Cross-cut shredders are classified as ‘secure’ or ‘medium-security’ shredder.

In comparison, a micro-cut shredder is classified as a ‘very secure’ or ‘high-security’ shredder. The main difference is that a micro-cut shredder offers more security because the shredded paper particles are smaller than standard cross-cut shreds.  They are also more expensive.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 7

51 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily and to @StLouisCruisers for starting us up.

I like puzzles, mainly crosswords and jigsaw (online). I rarely eat corn chips and haven't swapped seeds with anyone. I like the quote. I'll pass on the meal, drink and wine.

I haven't been to Newport, RI, even though I went to school in MA.

It's a rainy day here. When going to bed last night, I noticed that I now had a hemorrhage in the left eye! I don't know what's going on. The right eye still looks bad as it was a very large one, the left isn't as big. But no pain or vision issues. I'll be watching football later.

I will add to the Celebrations and Shoutouts: @StLouisCruisers Sandi for stepping up to help keep the Daily going!

@grapau27 Thank you for Fr. David's sermon today.

@kazu Prayers that your pain eases. I know many Ortho docs have gotten skittish about pain meds because of abuse, which hurts the patients who really need them. Good luck with the billing issues.

@cat shepard I have a Fellowes shredder that I like. I just shredded old tax returns in it.

@ottahand7 I agree that where you are now has breathtaking sights.

@rafinmd Sorry to hear about the oxygen levels, so it's a good thing you sought treatment. Prayers for continued healing and recovery.

@superoma Great puzzles.

@Seasick Sailor Prayers that your oral surgery is quick and relatively painless!

@cruising sister Great photos! Bon Voyage and have a wonderful time!

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay well everyone.

I am glad you don't  have pain but the eye problems sound so difficult.Enjoy your football games.

• Like 13

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you Sandi and Rich. I’ll pass on the days but do enjoy SUDOKU when 

I have access.  I’ve been to Newport several times but never on a BHB.  Sandi, I normally carry deaths for 7 days.  I think @kazu’s list shows Daily some of us boarding 2/4.  My O2 level is dropping so I expect a longer stay.  While my church livestreams Father David may be my only uninterrupted service today.

Roy

I hope you feel better soon! You are in my prayers!

• Like 14

Good morning! Whew just woke up. Missed church. Not what I had planned but it was a great nap!

Thanks for the Fleet and Care reports. Roy I’m sad your ill and banged up but relieved your in the hospital and being properly taken care of.🙏

One thing about pain meds that worked for us was splitting the pill and dividing the dosage. We found that taking one pill would work fine but pain would worsen as med wore off. By taking half the pill and taking other half of pill half way between recommended  dosages it helped us deal with the pain more comfortably and evenly. Maybe not for all but it worked for us and helped our pain management.

Need to do some wash and packing! Obviously a little behind schedule this morning but the good sleep was worth it.

It’s and overcast day and supposedly lots of rain forecasted later today and overnight!

Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.581ee4d2db9334e91f48a189f5d8e5c3.jpegimage.jpeg.7fcca6b78984864ead5a83c322335aa0.jpegimage.jpeg.6c230deca3a399903ce1cf539a0bf248.jpegimage.jpeg.60269a698d4978c15e2bc62aebfc798c.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Haha 16

45 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Jacqui that is almost like the one I bookmarked. I wonder about the difference between cross- cutting and micro-shredding?

Micro shredding is smaller than cross-cutting.  Cross cutting is pretty good but theoretically can be put together if someone wants.  DH had medical files, etc and was very protective of confidentiality so I preferred the micro shredder.  

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Please think of me tomorrow. I have oral surgery. 

Oh dear Joy.  Best wishes and prayers winging your way it is not too difficult or painful.

39 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

@kazu, Sorry you are still hurting.  This is not good.  i strongly encourage you to take some action against HAL. Have you heard of Christopher Elliott.  This would be right up his alley.  Elliott.com

I’m really unsure what to do  Terri and yes, I know of whom you speak.  I will be seeking advice but I can’t do anything until I get this last bill include make insurance claims.  Why I am getting “nasty” with my email.  It’s off.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 5

3 minutes ago, hal lover said:

I hope you feel better soon! You are in my prayers!

Welcome to the Daily @hal lover!

2 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning! Whew just woke up. Missed church. Not what I had planned but it was a great nap!

Thanks for the Fleet and Care reports. Roy I’m sad your ill and banged up but relieved your in the hospital and being properly taken care of.🙏

One thing about pain meds that worked for us was splitting the pill and dividing the dosage. We found that taking one pill would work fine but pain would worsen as med wore off. By taking half the pill and taking other half of pill half way between recommended  dosages it helped us deal with the pain more comfortably and evenly. Maybe not for all but it worked for us and helped our pain management.

Need to do some wash and packing! Obviously a little behind schedule this morning but the good sleep was worth it.

It’s and overcast day and supposedly lots of rain forecasted later today and overnight!

Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.581ee4d2db9334e91f48a189f5d8e5c3.jpegimage.jpeg.7fcca6b78984864ead5a83c322335aa0.jpegimage.jpeg.6c230deca3a399903ce1cf539a0bf248.jpegimage.jpeg.60269a698d4978c15e2bc62aebfc798c.jpeg

Love the memes today Bruce!  😂  I didn't see you listed on the future cruise listings Jacqui keeps track of, so are you on a cruise other than HAL (which ship) or a land trip?

• Like 14

6 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Welcome to the Daily @hal lover!

Love the memes today Bruce!  😂  I didn't see you listed on the future cruise listings Jacqui keeps track of, so are you on a cruise other than HAL (which ship) or a land trip?

Going to our timeshare in Cancun for two weeks! 

https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotels/cunwl-the-westin-lagunamar-ocean-resort-villas-and-spa-cancun/overview/?scid=7b0e07c8-792f-4f4d-9bfa-dd5b11543aab&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_6C86pbt_AIV4RTUAR0r0g-6EAAYASAAEgI7qfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4

Good morning, 

It's a clear cold morning here in the PNW and I'm not moving as quickly this morning. 

I love puzzles - crossword, word find, sudoku, and jigsaw are all on my "to-do" list. I have about 30 jigsaw puzzles backed up at the moment. My mom and sisters do them (they are in Canada) then I get them. Even though I'm retired I just don't seem to have the time that they do. Oh well. 

DH update - he was somewhat better yesterday but it's slow progress. The UTI isn't MRSA so that's good news. It's a more common bacteria and easily treatable. He has some of his swallow reflex back so is eating pureed foods and they start him with dessert at meals which he loves. He's eating everything they feed him. Monday another swallow test will be done and we'll see where we go from there. 

Off to make some cookies for the nurses and then head into the hospital to sit with DH and needlework the afternoon away. 

@kazu, @rafinmd, and everyone who is in need - our thoughts are with you!

Karen

• Like 26

Good Sunday morning, everyone.  All my thoughts and prayers go out to our Daily friends who are in pain or unwell.  I hope things improve for every one of you.  💐

Typing with one finger would drive me batty!!  

RIP dear Hazel McCallion.  101 years old and a force to be reckoned with.  She was held in awe by everyone who encountered her.  God bless and God speed.  ❤️

I want to go to Newport, RI!!  We were planning a trip there during the cruising shutdown and never made it.  Maybe one day.

Oh my goodness.  I came to a stunned full-stop and had a great big laugh at the thought of @Lady Hudson knitting a scarf to go out in the cold.  “Oh.  I can’t find my scarf.  Give me 5 minutes and I’ll whip one up.  Be right with you.”  That is SO not my world but I am SUPER impressed.  Wow.

I will pass on today’s meal in favour of ginger beef stir fry.  Yum.  Today’s big plans are my regular Sunday FaceTime chat with my sister and my parents.  Thank you, technology.

So, puzzles…. I brought the Two Million Dollar Puzzle to my daughter and son-in-law for Christmas.  It comes with no picture and no instructions other than to complete it, scan the QR code you’ve just put together, then send it in and see if you’ve won a million dollars.  Yesterday I got a call asking when I am coming because they’ve hit a wall.  It seems too many pieces fit together with too many other pieces.  They have a bed prepared.  😂

0B965A61-ACC0-4719-8399-5C885C43CBD2.thumb.jpeg.1960d2e368c08f551910212746aa27be.jpeg

Yesterday was gorgeous.  Sunny and a high of 55f/13c.  Today it has started raining but it’s still quite mild.  46f/8c.  Here is a picture of the sunrise for Roy @rafinmd.  Have a great day, everyone.

5D7F20D1-3C43-418D-A031-02DC7C2C91AA.thumb.jpeg.48d64cd36fa8e1aa7930b0b2f0f8df85.jpeg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4

Good morning from a very cloudy central Texas, where it is 53F.  Not surprising since this is Texas weather we're talking about, but it looks like we will be getting some pretty heavy rain today after all.  The radar map shows rain just south of us and heading this way.  Now, the forecast for Tuesday and Wednesday says rain and freezing rain, yuck!  Hopefully, the roads won't be icy since our lows will only be 30F and the daytime highs will be 34 and 36.  Texas does not do icy roads well.

We want to see the green comet, but with all our rain and clouds, we might not get to see it.  I hope Thursday night or Friday, very early, it will still be visible here.  🤞

Fortunately, the worst of the reaction to the shingles vaccine only lasted one day, and was not as bad as the first time.  It did make me feel bad, tired and draggy.  The only thing left this morning was the headache and a sore arm.  Two ibuprofen took care of the headache, and I can live with the sore arm.  A small price to pay for avoiding the shingles.  After 8 1/2 hours sleep last night, I feel good.

The only day that does not apply to one of us is seed swap day.  I like jigsaw puzzles, word search and crossword puzzles, and we both like corn chips.  The DDs and I swapped jigsaw puzzles for several years, and I did two or three after Christmas.  It's been a few years since I've done one though.

Today's quote is one I like and think is very true.  When I read it, the quote sounded familiar.  I realized it was the quote of the day a few weeks ago and was attributed to AA Milne then.  

I think we'll skip the meal, drink and wine today.

We were in Newport in 2004 twice on b2bs NYC to Montreal and back on the old Regal Princess.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, thank you for stepping in and starting the Daily and the lists for Roy.  A suggestion if you have the time, you could good back through the Dailies for a week are so to check Roy's lists.  That should give you a good idea of the rotation list. 

@rafinmd  Roy, I agree the hospital is the best place until they can get the 02 levels back up to normal.  

@kazu  Jacqui, I hope the pain begins to lessen before you run out of pills.  I also hope the email to the hospital in PV works and you get the bills soon.

@ottahand7  Nancy, the scenery in that part of the world is truly spectacular, and even better when the sun is out.

@marshhawk Annie, I'm glad you are taking such good care of Fawn.

@superoma  Eva, the Van Gogh puzzle looks extremely difficult.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, sending positive thoughts that your oral surgery tomorrow will not be too bad.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, I'm sorry the other eye had a hemorrhage today.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I'm sorry your Polymyalgia Rheumatica has flared up again.  I hope you get your prescription soon, and feel better by the time of your cruise.

@luvteaching  Karen, thank you for the update on your DH.  I'm glad he is improving, and I hope he is able to return home soon, but not before he is ready.

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

We visited Newport, RI, twice in 2004 on the old Regal Princess.  Evidently, I didn't take many pictures the first stop on October 2, 2004, when we did a ho-ho type tour.  And I cannot find pictures from our second stop, though I should have some.  That day, at the suggestion of a friend, we toured Rough Point, Doris Duke's Newport cottage.

All of my pictures were taken on our tour.

IMG_3703.thumb.JPG.4214d6fbe3bca66b6ea01f9fdc28f8c3.JPG

IMG_3704.thumb.JPG.d58a3edc008c8be791a1823742b45dc7.JPG

The International Tennis Hall of Fame and tennis courts.

IMG_3705.thumb.JPG.b3b530278c732a848261b9f5399fc7c5.JPG

IMG_3706.thumb.JPG.cd4145449f66e9e7c04d6cc1b743f707.JPG

IMG_3707.thumb.JPG.201b434734abe936816f46549250f773.JPG

IMG_3708.thumb.JPG.7b3772551031bfa6b27082a803c8d35e.JPG

IMG_3709.thumb.JPG.5818462542f571bdea1cf51f233a5473.JPG

There should be more pictures since I remember walking around town after our tour, and I know I took pictures when we toured Rough Point.  I will check my backup picture files later.  However, they might have been lost when an update to my iPad erased all the pictures from the iPad.  Later, when DH finally managed to get them reloaded, not all the pictures were there.

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5

13 minutes ago, 4966and556 said:

@*Miss G* thank you for the news on Hazel M.  Are you in or near Mississauga? I used to live near there.  

I grew up in Oakville but currently live in the US.  Hazel was the inaugural Chancellor of Sheridan College and the Mississauga Campus is named after her.  💕 (I have ties to Sheridan.)

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Sorry to hear about the Polymyalgia Rheumatica pain.  Get that prescription on hand before your cruise.  Which ship are you sailing on?  Hope they get that bathroom completed while you're away.

Thanks Sandi.  We are on the Oceania Sirena from Feb. 7 to 19.  Sailing out of Miami.

Terri

• Like 13

4 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Thanks Sandi.  We are on the Oceania Sirena from Feb. 7 to 19.  Sailing out of Miami.

Terri

Thanks Terri for that information.  Sounds like a great way to spend winter days and staying out of your home while the contractors work.

Thanks also to @aliaschieffor his Cancun time share dates.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

Very nice! Website says Marriott and Westin. Is this property both companies?

• Like 4

Good morning all!  My goodness, this may go onto page 4 by the time I finish typing.  

It's a cold but sunny morning here in the PNW.  Snow is predicted in a couple days -- we'll see.

I do a couple online 600-piece online jigsaw puzzles every day, and we have a drawer of puzzles we stocked up on for this winter.  I keep thinking of getting them out, but there's always something else that needs to be done.  

I like chips a lot, but corn chips are my least favorite (not that I would turn them down).  Have never swapped seeds, most of my plantings are seedlings ready to plant in the garden.  The quote is good, and I know I would love the wine since it's a Marlborough wine.  Will pass on the drink and meal. 

We've been to Newport on a cruise only once, on a Quebec City-Fort Lauderdale cruise in May of 2012.  I believe that's when we met Rich @richwmn.  I've wanted to get back to Newport ever since.  It was a cold, rainy, windy day but we really liked that port.  We took local transportation to The Breakers.  One reason I want to get back there is to see more of the mansions.  We had time to just see the one that day.

Today is Patricia's funeral in Savannah.  I'm thinking of her close and extended family as they lay her to rest.

Roy @rafinmdI'm sorry to hear about your 02 level dropping.  Prayers for a speedy recovery and that you can go home before too long.

Sandi @StLouisCruisersthank you again for stepping in and getting the Daily started today.  And oh my goodness Elliot Rose is so cute!  Thank you for sharing her photo yesterday.

Vanessa @JazzyVI'm sorry you're having more eye problems today but glad it isn't causing pain.

Jacqui @kazuI'm sorry the pain is still a problem, I hope it lessens before you can get more pain meds.  

Lenda @Quartzsite CruiserI'm glad the effects of the 2nd shingles shot weren't as bad as the first one and only lasted 1 day.  Usually people say the 2nd shot is worse (it was for me).

Here are some photos of our WET day in Newport.  We still enjoyed it a lot!

Our first view of The Breakers, the 70-room summer estate of Cornelius Vanderbilt II built in 1895.

603067892_TheBreakers.jpg.22451f10293ef739277f9599b52c6bf3.jpg

The gates to The Breakers

1700935933_GatestoTheBreakers.jpg.a5b63026e5aaea787a5627f34d7548e6.jpg

Front view

1669961904_TheBreakersfront.jpg.eeb1cc5880648fae743d373cfbbbef43.jpg

Another view

1242590607_anotherviewTheBreakers.jpg.c22cd33a8ab5439247b706cdf640029a.jpg

Some of the grounds.  

1417173039_thegrounds.jpg.4e30612e40291fe1bad052f18631b180.jpg

We managed to walk the Cliff Walk and were very glad we were dressed for it!

269633744_CliffWalk.jpg.8286583585557994d7a5d22e19421756.jpg

Afterwards we dashed into this pub to dry off and for a bite to eat.

1527455106_PubinNewport.jpg.d7d5f53bfc4fe7136c080b1275c423e6.jpg

We're going to take some chocolate chip cookies down to DD's house today for the boys and flowers for DD's belated birthday.  They will be home early tomorrow.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 6

11 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

We've been to Newport on a cruise only once, on a Quebec City-Fort Lauderdale cruise in May of 2012.  I believe that's when we met Rich @richwmn.  I've wanted to get back to Newport ever since.  It was a cold, rainy, windy day but we really liked that port.  We took local transportation to The Breakers.  One reason I want to get back there is to see more of the mansions.  We had time to just see the one that day.

I agree that is the cruise we met on. We actually met in the hotel lobby waiting for the shuttle to the ship, if I remember correctly.

I just noticed you said Quebec City - Fort Lauderdale. I'm pretty sure that was from Fort Lauderdale - Quebec City and we met in the hotel in Dania Beach, a hotel I still use when in FLL.

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

Very nice! Website says Marriott and Westin. Is this property both companies?

Yes they merged a couple of years ago and because of that it gives us more options. Our other time share is the Marriott Waiohai on Poipu Beach, Kauai which we are deeded owners. Lagunamar was strictly Westin when we first purchased. This visit we took advantage of an offer that we could stay an extra five days for $250.00 if we sit through the dreaded time share buy more points sales pitch! No way we are buying into any more time share points but the offer was to good to turn down.

Enjoy your visit to Luxor. That is where we stayed  on our last visit to Vegas. 

• Like 21

Another crazy day.  No repeat CAT scan but a lot of activity,  Dr said 
pM antibiotics, physical therapist and I walked about halfway down the corridor with a walker no problem.  Just in time for my church’s sermon and part of my Miami church’s service.  Right after lunch my 

pastor came by and another variation n blood pressure checks..  No antibiotics yet

Roy

• Like 9
  • Thanks 24

18 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Another crazy day.  No repeat CAT scan but a lot of activity,  Dr said 
pM antibiotics, physical therapist and I walked about halfway down the corridor with a walker no problem.  Just in time for my church’s sermon and part of my Miami church’s service.  Right after lunch my 

pastor came by and another variation n blood pressure checks..  No antibiotics yet

Roy

Praying they get things under control.  I'm glad to hear you got to walk down the corridor with the PT because you're a big walker normally.

• Like 13

Thanks everyone for the posts and prayers to those in need.  Just catching up with the last few days of the fleet report.  Friday was a busy day at work but most fulfilling.  I was not sure coming out of retirement was a good idea but am loving it.

Well its lobster night tonight. Thought I would treat the family and everyone is excited.  Will head up to the store soon and pick up the bad boys. Its cold but clear out so will steam them on the BBQ.

Quite overwhelmed right now.  DW has never had a new car, I've only ever had 1.  Usually just buy with whatever we have cash for. Well the DW is a good egg, always takes care of me.  We decided just this once she should have something made to order.  Most sense for her is a mid size SUV or crossover. Just into the initial stage of research and I'm already so confused. I chuckle because so much emphasis is on connectivity and stuff like that.  Mrs Lobsternight does not embrace any form of technology. The fact she has email and checks it now and then is a miracle.  No cell phone, nothing.  Her only request is that she gets backup camera.

• Like 20