The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday March 1st, 2023

5 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. Yesterday's  snow melt refroze on the steps ,sidewalks and cars since it is only 30 degrees so far.I took the dogs out one at a time  and was a little nervous doing it.They are really good on the leash but both love to bounce around in the snow.I was afraid they would take me with them.

We have not been to the port and like the idea of the meal.I am odd in that I heartily dislike peanut butter.I think I had too much of it growing up.

I salute the Peace Core and Pig  Day.

DH has to have further tests to explore the issues found on the scan done on Monday.Today we have an early appointment  with another MD .Busy week!

DD is moving to our side of the house for the morning  so that we can leave and Tana has help.I hope all goes well.She works from home and is always on a call or a zoom thing.

@aliaschief, Bruce, a very Happy Birthday to you!

Terry, prayers that your DH's tests and doctor appointment go well. 🙏 Thank goodness your DD can move over to your side of the house to stay with Tana when you are away.  You don't need worries about what's going on at home when you're dealing with DH's medical issues.

5 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Today’s care list:

Roy recovering from pneumonia

Lazey1 with multiple medical issues

Cruising-along’s kidney issues, seeing Nephrologist this week; DH with cough

Tupper10 seeing back surgeon this Thursday

Our sleepless Dailyites

Cruzin Terri shouldering a lot since the house flood

Citizens of Ukraine/New Zealand/Earthquake victims/E. Palestine & PA residents

From the rotation:

Jacqui recovering from elbow surgery

NextOne’s upcoming cardiology appointment 

Former President Jimmy Carter in home hospice care

Scrapnana undergoing chemotherapy

Celebrations and Shout outs:

Happy Birthday Bruce (Aliaschief)!

Luvteaching’s DH’s continued improvement and hospital release this week

Cruising sister in Las Vegas 

3 days for Suslor (Zaandam 3/4 to 3/18)

4 days for TAW1963 (Ruby Princess 3/5 to 3/12)

Lady Hudson (Enchantment of the Seas to 3/3), Mr. Boston (Celebrity Millennium to 3/4), RMLincoln family cruise (Rotterdam to 3/8), SusieKIslandGirl (Noordam to 3/11), Cruisercl (NCL Bliss to 3/12), ottahand7 and Lindaler (Volendam to 3/18), Seasick Sailor and 57redbird (Koningsdam to 3/25), Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to 4/6), and Cat in My Lap, Gail&Marty, Richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam to 5/12) at sea

Vanessa, thank you for your hard work posting our Cares and Celebrations!  I appreciate it so much.

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Rabbit, Rabbit,White Rabbit.  Thank you Rich,  Sandi, Vanessa, F&B ladies, and all our contributors, especially the newcomers.  I think I slept well last night and even a bit later than planned.  A cold start to the day but I hope for some warmup, but probably not enough to go with a light jacket.

Roy

Good to hear you're getting your rest Roy.  It helps the healing.  

4 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

@aliaschiefHappy birthday!   🎂🍾

Thanks for the Daily and Cares reports each day.   Thanks for all the information on the beverages and the great recipes. Today's cocktail sure contains some strange liquor, the things they are coming up with.  Today's wine we have had a Syrah, not the exact vineyard but from Bocksberg winery on the Volendam as a substitute as a cellar selection that they were out of. It was okay.   

We are now cruising the Amazon.  We had to stop for paperwork and to pick up our Amazon pilot.  March 1, our cruise is beginning to wind down.   Since this is a sea day I will do more with photos and start organizing stuff that I want to bring home.  Of course the gym too 

Prayers for all on our Care list, the three police officers in KC and the people of Ukraine.   Have a great day!  Nancy 

Hope you're having a good sea day today.  Might be a river but it's a wide one!  Thanks for mentioning the three police officers in KC.  They have such dangerous jobs and I applaud all who decide that will be their life's work.

4 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Daily-ites.

Can't sleep. I've been up since 2 and its now 2:45. We are on our way to Fanning Island (hoping) as Sandi posted in our Fleet Report.

Lifting.prayers and thoughts going out to all in despair. So many suffering in our world.

Going to try a nap.

Rabbit, white rabbit!!

Joy, hope you got some more sleep after posting.  I really hope the seas are gentle enough to tender to Fanning Island.  It's so interesting to stroll around and meeting the residents there.  

4 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Sandi, thank you for starting the day, you have done Rich proud. All his efforts have paid off.  And Vanessa, you have done Roy proud, by so meticulously keeping our lists. Even organizing them a bit more. 

It is another lovely, dry morning here. As much as I love this weather, I know we need the rain. Bindi seems to have finally overcome her stress. Of course seeing her favorite mail carrier yesterday surely helped. Final rug cleaning, Bindi walks and my afternoon HIIT class round out the day. 

1E19C347-D38A-446C-A6B0-E7B1867E6AF4.jpeg.91cdfcacd70a557445c7e649ba5fba27.jpeg

ED56486F-C9D2-4B0D-9038-4CAA400721A2.jpeg.d3d4eaaabcf85df3b941ecb63401b2e7.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating- Happy Birthday Bruce! @aliaschief

Get well & stay well everyone!

Backsberg Pumphouse Shiraz 2020, Paarl, South Africa

Another somewhat elusive wine, but can a wine whose grapes were grown in “chocolate cake soils” be bad?  I need a taste first, but the price is certainly right. Just not available in my neighborhood. I found one online distributor offering it for $11.67 + shipping.

Winemaker notes 

VINTAGE 2020 W.O. COASTAL REGION
The Family Tree honours the rich tapestry of people and places that were integral in the Backsberg legacy. The Pumphouse was a humble concrete structure, traditionally located high up on the slopes of the mountain. A vital life-source for happy healthy vines, this structure epitomises Backsberg’s approach to winemaking, being unassuming but extraordinary.
VITICULTURE Grown in weathered granite and Chocolate Cake soils on high elevation mountain slopes with cooling breezes from the Atlantic. This ensures optimal berry ripening. Open-armed 22 year-old lyre trellised vines provide maximum sun exposure with carefully considered drip irrigation encouraging ideal flavour development. 8 tons/Ha delivers concentrated, high-quality fruit.
VINIFICATION Soft-skinned Shiraz was fermented warm for 10 days. It was then pressed to finish fermentation in barrel. Aging occurs for 14 months in small French and American oak barriques.
TASTING NOTE On the nose expect old spice, cedar and vanilla. Exhibiting a wonderful velvety depth, this is a powerhouse of a wine with flavours of ripe plum, black cherry, mulberry, liquorice and spiced fruit cake. A generous wine that just keeps giving.
Pair with hearty stews and rich roasts
AWARDS Decanter Silver (‘22) | IWSC Bronze (‘22)

Ann, I'm glad to hear Bindi is back to her old self now.  That must be some special mail carrier if their absence causes such a reaction.  Thanks for your work in presenting the wine descriptions each day.  We have a dedicated "staff" here on the Daily.😁

4 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. Lack of sleep, a very annoying UTI and a sciatic attack have kept me busy and away from the group . Nothing is resolved yet so just waiting for a urine culture to come back and the sciatica pain to lessen. I did have a cortisone shot last week for that.

Weve been lucky so far and no snow this winter although my daughter had a tornado a mile away from her house in central NJ.

Happy Birthday, Bruce.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

Carol, hope you are feeling better after the UTI and sciatica pain.  No fun at all, I'm sure.  I'm very happy to hear your DD wasn't in the direct path of that tornado.  We drove downtown yesterday and the area north of town is still a wreck.  The trees came down all over the place, and some of the wooded areas were practically barren.  There are piles of tree debris along the roadways waiting to be hauled away.  It's been almost 7 weeks since they struck our little town.

4 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning! Thanks for the birthday wishes. I made it to 77!👏🏻👏🏻 🙏 Another day in the seventies and probably another record temp. Have my annual eye exam this morning and nothing else on the agenda. Well I’m looking forward to the cold water lobsters we ordered. Hope they arrive.

We have been to today’s port of call several times and always enjoy their wonderful welcome. Time to think about another Fall repositioning cruise and more lobster and fresh fat belly clams!

So back to finishing my coffee, morning devotional and prayers. Feeling very Blessed to have had so many wonderful years on this planet called earth!

@RedneckBobThis is the second time you have caused a jump start to your birthday celebration. Just give us a day and we will add it to our calendars.🤔

image.thumb.jpeg.86aa9a2b36211b73a2fd41625b156d04.jpegimage.jpeg.44bcb0751330d300f1e7659a7d7368a0.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.6049d218268643b4d8678beb1b51640e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.36316432fed41f9fa96e04834af76a6f.jpegimage.jpeg.33097dadd28a1e6872acb40de71dff94.jpeg

Good to hear you have been to Saguenay.  Do you have any photos to share?  Wow, more great memes again today.  Love to have something to smile about.

4 hours ago, dfish said:

Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit!

Good morning, everyone!  

It will be a bit warmer here in mid-Michigan today, but nothing to get too excited about.  I will change the red heart on the front door for the green shamrock.  I'm going to exercise class this morning after I shovel out the barricade at the end of the driveway left by the city plows.  

@aliaschief

101-Best-Happy-Birthday-Memes-12-720x720.jpg.7e56d9a909d89ecc5ef903adcf65402d.jpg

I hope your day is terrific!

Our first recipe today looks easy and delicious!   https://www.aheadofthyme.com/glazed-honey-balsamic-pork-chops/

honeybalsamicporkchops1.thumb.jpg.38b76509ce0f669e516c3a8682715873.jpg

The next recipe looks just as good and has a different seasoning in the glaze.  I like the idea of the green onions.  https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/pork-chops-with-honey-balsamic-glaze/

honeybalsamicporkchops2.thumb.jpg.fe30ed681ee6072d7e0fefe1166f5d4e.jpg

In this recipe a little Dijon mustard is used.  I would think it would be good to help balance the sweetness of the honey and balsamic.  https://whatsinthepan.com/honey-balsamic-pork-chops/

honeybalsamicporkchops3.thumb.jpg.c30c81a1df79bc720ae87e26b095c932.jpg

Time to get to work on the end of the driveway.   Wishing you all a wonderful day.

Excellent recipes again today.  They look really good. Take care while shoveling snow especially the heavy piles at the street.  I remember always having to shovel out a driving path at the street for our mail carriers to deliver the mail.  Most times the snow was over the top edge of the mailbox.  ❄️

3 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

Thanks. And speaking of an early start, way back in March 2003 when we went on our Australia/New Zealand cruise, we flew from LAX to Sydney on March 6 and arrived on March 8, skipping my birthday. 😩. I notified Social Security Admin. that I had still aged the missed day! 😀

That happened to our Myrtle Beach cruise friend.  He flew to Bangkok leaving the day before his birthday and arrived the day after.  We dined together every evening and I'm sure we asked for a birthday cake for the poor guy.  At the other extreme, I celebrated my birthday two days in a row on our way to and from Fanning Island (where Joy is headed).  So technically I'm a year older than my twin sister instead of only 6 minutes. 👶

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

We went out for lunch today.

IMG_20230301_122853.jpg

IMG_20230301_125247.jpg

IMG_20230301_125301.jpg

IMG_20230301_132308.jpg

IMG_20230301_132317.jpg

IMG_20230301_133824.jpg

Graham, that looks like a pretty fancy lunch.  I see you like your fish and chips with garden peas instead of mushy peas, like I do. If you're celebrating an event today looks like you picked the right place to do it.  

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

RABBIT!  🐰  RABBIT!  🐰  WHITE RABBIT!  🐇

Good morning from a very overcast and grey central Texas where it is currently 69F.  So far, the weather forecast for rain overnight and into the early morning was typical, since there was no rain.  It  is now predicted for the time we're heading to the doctor for DH's four month post op check up.

So far, after spraying the heavy duty weed killer last Saturday, there is no sign of the weeds dying.  I read on line that it could take three applications done two weeks apart.  It seems the native invasive grasses and weeds may be immune to weed killers and may even actually thrive with them.  I know I call the weed and feed granules we put on the yard "feed the weeds".  🤣

Pigs are an important part of the food chain, but they are not my favorite farm animals.  I will definitely celebrate Peace Corps Day, and remember when President Kennedy established the Peace Corps.  DH and the rest of the family can celebrate peanut butter lovers' day.

I'm not sure I totally agree with today's quote.  I think you can also enjoy life in your comfort zone.

We'll pass on the meal, although DH can grill a very good pork chop.  Tonight, we'll be having Korean beef short ribs cooked in the slow cooker.  We'll pass on the drink and the wine.

We have been to Saguenay once when we rented a car and drove there in 2013 when Veendam was in Quebec for three days.  DH and I remember taking pictures of the area, but neither of us can find the pictures.  We think they were part of the ones that were apparently deleted when an update for my iPad removed all my pictures during the update.  We remember Saguenay as a nice, friendly town where not many people spoke English.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I'm glad the Benadryl helped you get a good nights sleep.

@smitty34877  Terry, you are not alone.  I also do not like peanut butter with one exception.  I like the peanut butter and cheese crackers you can buy as snacks.  I hope today's appointment gives you some idea about what is happening, and that the further tests help the doctors plan a treatment.  I'm glad you DD is able to work and help Tana as needed while you are at the doctors.

@NextOne  I remember Miss Lillian joining the Peace Corps.  She was quite a character, and I think that is where Jimmy Carter learned to do all the good works in his post Presidency years.

@rafinmd  Roy, I'm glad your sleep is improving, and the swelling in your foot improves too.

@ottahand7  Nancy, enjoy your time cruising the Amazon.  It is amazing how wide it gets during the rainy season.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, I hope you were able to get back to sleep.  I also hope you can tender at Fanning Island.  We haven't been there, but have been to Christmas Island several times.

@cat shepard  Ann, I'm happy that Bindi has settled back down and got to see her favorite mail carrier.

@mamaofami  Carol, I'm sorry you are having trouble sleeping, had a sciatica attack, and are battling at UTI.  I hope everything improves soon.

@ger_77  Gerry, I hope this time the partial is fixed for good.  The afghan sounds like a great buy.

@aliaschief  Bruce

🎈 🎂  HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BRUCE!  🥂 🍾 

It's time to go put the short ribs in the slow cooker.

Lenda

Thank you Lenda.  Bad news about the weeds surviving your spraying.  I wish our landscaping company (provided by HOA) could do a better job on the weeds.  I hate seeing them.  I had a lot fewer of them when I was the one doing the yard work.  Your slow cooker short ribs sound good.  

2 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good morning to all of you.

Happy Wednesday.  

Interesting collection of days.

Not sure what to think about National Pig Day.  We do like Pork Chops so maybe I’ll follow RNB’s lead and go to Sonny’s BBQ for dinner.  Hat’s off to the Peace Corps and the wonderful work they do around the world.  And last but not least, who doesn’t like Peanut Butter.

I have not been to the port.  Maybe someday.  We were supposed to go on a Canada/New England cruise this coming Sept. but have changed our plans somewhat and are going to Italy instead.  It may be our only opportunity to do so.  Not sure we will ever be able to do it again. 

The wine seems nice but seems hard to get.  We will pass on the drink.

Not sure about the quote.

Still no word on the bathroom. Not even hearing from the Contractor.

The only phone call I got today was from the Mayo Clinic regarding my appointment on March 6.  They moved it again to March 22 (For my convenience).  So I was going to see my cousin that night, but she won’t be around because she is going on a trip to Europe. 

That’s about all I have for today.  Prayers for everyone.

We are holding our own and doing the best we can under the circumstances.

God Bless,

Terri

Terri I hope you enjoy your Italy trip and get to do the Canada/New England cruise another day.  Why do they keep postponing your appointment down at the Mayo Clinic?  (Besides your convenience)

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit!

I'll salute pigs since I like bacon and pork roast. The Peace Corps is a great organization. I love peanut butter, only crunchy, and have some every day usually just on a spoon for a snack. Interesting quote. I like the meal (and it's appropriate for pig day!). I'll pass on the drink and yes to the wine.

I haven't been to Saguenay.

It's going to be a nice day here. It's already 44F and sunny, going up to 67F. It's injection day for me, so I've already premedicated myself. Late morning I'm going over to BFF's and we'll work in his DD DF's house doing more sorting and organizing; he's already donated loads of clothes.

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for our start today. I'm glad you got a better night's sleep. I'll be trying to stay awake after my Benadryl I just took this morning. 

@smitty34877 Prayers for DH and you as he undergoes his evaluations. 

@rafinmd Good news on your sleeping better last night.

@ottahand7 I always thought cruising the Amazon would be incredible. Enjoy!

@Seasick Sailor I hope you get some rest today.

@cat shepard Good to hear that Bindi is more her old self now.

@mamaofami Sorry to hear of the medical issues; feel better soon. I'm glad DD wasn't affected by the tornado! 

@aliaschief HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Enjoy that lobster dinner later.

@dfish Thanks for the recipes. And your dining room looks very inviting for family meals.

@ger_77 That is so clever to find old afghans to turn into smaller blankets. Nice of the denturist to not charge DH.

@grapau27 Nice lunch.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Best to DH on his checkup. 

@cl8ssy ch8ssis Welcome to the Daily!

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay well everyone.

Good luck with your injection today.  Needles are a touchy subject with me since yesterday.🙁  Nice of you to help BFF go through his DD DF's belongings.  👍

2 hours ago, travelnap said:

RedneckBob, you know some of us are not that sharp, so we will never be able to figure out when your birthday is.  You would put most of us in 7th heaven if you could give us slow pokes a clue. 

The Peace Corps do some wonderful work.  I also am going to celebrate pig day, as they have made great sacrifices for all of us.  I am thinking ham, bacon, pork chops, pulled pork, and of course a nice slow cooked pork loin.  Happy Birthday to AliasChief.

Well said.  😂

1 hour ago, durangoscots said:

Morning all from snowy Durango, again or maybe it is still. I cancelled our Board meeting for tonight and will not reschedule it. There are a couple of us to handle the only real thing that needs doing between now and our next regularly scheduled meeting the end of the month. I don't want to tempt the snow Gods who seem to have it for us. By the way, before this round of snow and ice, the shelter roof sprung a leak but the roofer can't do anything because of the snow depth on said roof. I keep telling myself, only two more months, only two more months.

I slept until about 3:15 this morning then got up and checked for snow. None visible. Went back to bed until 5:15... still no snow. Woke up again at 7 and hustled to get the dogs our before it got deep enough to worry little Monty. The good side of this is that right now the forecast is for the bulk of heavy snow to go south of us this afternoon. We can but hope (sorry, New Mexico). Meanwhile both dogs are settled in for the day.

Those pork chops look really, really good. When I can get to the store will pick some up and give it a try. Don't know what I will have tonight. Will surprise myself.

Hope March behaves itself, and that healing starts or continues for those that are having issues. And that well all can get some sleep.

Susan

Hang in there - only a few more months at the shelter.  You can do this!

56 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

Good morning, 

Rabbit, rabbit, rabbit! Today no snow is falling but it's below freezing. Hopefully it will warm up before I have to head out. I didn't go anywhere yesterday as the snow fell most of the day and our road was a mess. I'd prepped DH for this and called in a few times. Later in the afternoon the evening nurse called to update me which I appreciated. Then, a few minutes later, I got another call and DH wanted to talk to me so she used her cell and we had a nice conversation (for him). She told me she'd never heard him talk so much and carry on a conversation! I'll be in there today. 

I love pork chops and will do one in the air fryer tonight. DH loves pigs and has the entire Freddy the Pig series of books he remembers from his childhood. I got him a stuffed aviator pig for Valentine's Day. He's very happy with peanut butter and jelly on toast or bread or in a sandwich. I like to make a peanut butter oatmeal cookie with peanut butter chips. I think that has it all covered. 

Enjoy your day everyone!

Karen

I hope you have a great visit today with your DH.  So cool he was talkative yesterday during your phone call.

55 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit...I did say that to myself when i woke at 5 this morning, and then i said, get off the bed, cat, I have to use the bathroom, and it was downhill from there.  We had steak last night, roasted squash and mushrooms, and a salad.  Within one hour, DH was ill, this morning at 5 I was ill.I am still feeling awful.  Am I poisoning us?  I am going to work today (to the living room) but I wont work tonight, I have no scheduled calls,  and an early bed time sounds very nice.

DH is going to try driving this morning, since I don't really want to leave the house.  He has not driven since his eye surgery, a month ago.  I will keep my fingers crossed for him.

@Cruzin Terri I read your post last night and am sending you a huge hug.  It's hard when we  learn that the rock we have leaned on, is now more a puddle, and we have to become the rock.  I am currently in pebble stage.  Because I hate arguing, and my rock doesn't. like the power taken away, but he cant make up his mind on anything.  So I have two sinks that leak, a toilet that leaks, doors where the keys dont work...they are all going to be fixed.......i just hope it's before the house  implodes.

I love peanut butter.  My favorite sandwich is a bacon and peanut butter.  I love it on celery, and sometimes, I just get a big spoon of it and slowly nibble on it.  And I love Reeces.....When I lived up north the young adult group I belonged to used to have annual peanut butter parties.  Now we all live far apart, two have Alzheimer's and we don't hear from them, because their spouses passed on.  How quickly time goes by.

I will celebrate the pig!  The pig gives us bacon, and baby back ribs.....and pork roast, and pork tenderloin and pork chops, and sausage, and ...wish I felt better, this pig talk should make me hungry.

I love the quote, and fear the reality of it.  But this year I am giving myself many days of not being in my comfort zone.  

Oh no!  Have you figured out what caused you both to get sick after dinner?  I hope your DH made it safely back from his errand today.

50 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Seems that last night was better for a lot of us.  I slept right past 3 am, didn't wake up until 4 am.  And then I wasn't awake too terribly long, and slept another couple hours -- so a very good night!

The drink and meal both look really good.  I'm just trying to decide which recipe Debbie @dfishposted looks the best.  Will pass on the red wine, and we've been to Saguenay many times on a BHB.  

Not a lot on the agenda today, other than a hair cut and getting some things to a donation center.  Our snow is still here, but the roads look good.  We'll see if the garbage trucks come...they rarely make it out when we have snow.

Bruce @aliaschiefHappy Birthday!

@cl8ssy ch8ssisWelcome to CC and the Daily.

Prayers for all who are ailing and cheers for those celebrating.  Have a good day everyone!

Some photos from 2012 and 2016.

Love their old-time costumed greeting! 

734004279_unicycleSaguenay.jpg.8eb98b81cbcdde65b48f9c02595403e4.jpg

74956809_Saguenaygreeters.jpg.3ec43ca915d45c065dfa6eef50df66ec.jpg

And their generous helpings of blueberry pie 🙂  I also didn't turn down their gifts of chocolates as we returned to the ship later that day.

832106432_blueberrypieSaguenay.thumb.jpg.e4448713c38d4d0861f83ce09bb7c3f2.jpg

One visit we rented a car and drove to the National Park.

2095643284_Saguenaynationalpark.jpg.5d1779fda2d7d225ca1e71a83962a87c.jpg

An uphill hike but beautiful.

898358942_uphillclimb.jpg.4e4f8fc9ba3c55c3394e8a83f223da98.jpg

855902869_NationalPark.jpg.c1d018651d5571979e391048afbcae6f.jpg

1312829286_scenerySaguenay.jpg.23f97a642b4c8a63a106a832d4a7332f.jpg

520567087_Saguenaybeach.jpg.a224fa96e38518963f9e982cf755d7c0.jpg

Aluminum bridge

1691003384_Aluminumbridge.jpg.620d493303a219d0d77db6761463ee49.jpgA few churches

472649024_churchSaguenay.thumb.jpg.d5a94d396de3be57df8fbc85e821a3fe.jpg

1373534543_Saguenaychurch.jpg.45e2e9611ecb88f9b68dabac0cf22aad.jpg

And even costumed locals in a gift shop.

1105658710_costumedlocals.jpg.aec10b53f8810a5c4927d093d8346bcb.jpg

I'm happy to hear you got more sleep last night, too.  Your photos from Saguenay are so good. Love the costumes.  Thanks for posting them.  I would love to go there on a Canada/New England cruise.

45 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

I have a question.  I understand the concept of the Orange Party, but is it for everyone or just those with Mariner Points?  In other words, should I pack orange, and how fancy is it.  My friend who just booked this cruise just told me that he does not want to go all fancy, so how fancy is fancy?  in the mdr, on formal night.  I cruised Alaska with Carnival and we did not go to formal night.  It was never that warm, and formal would mean winter formal,  I wasnt planning on taking that  much stuff.

I see you got an answer to your question.  On Orange Party day I wear an orange T shirt during the day, and have a dress with several colors including some orange so I can wear that to dinner.  I also have a heavy scarf with cream/black/tan and orange on it that I can use as a shawl on dress up nights with a black dress.  Doesn't take much to get into the spirit.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4

34 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

From my post on May 13, 2021:

I wanted to jump in with some Saguenay pictures.  I shared a few when the St. Lawrence River was the port.  I really loved Saguenay and am happy that it is on our itinerary for our October 2022 cruise.

The three of us (DH, DM, and myself) were on the Eurodam, New York to Quebec City.  On September 4, 2009 we were met at the dock in Saguenay by locals, it was quite a celebration:

IMG_1086.thumb.JPG.6cd928e8390460a2f820e0d3feb15b9e.JPG

We were the first cruise ship to dock at the new cruise terminal:

IMG_1108.thumb.JPG.3f8c993289d176dbb0cfd25dae98e973.JPG

There were a lot of activities going on.  You could choose to participate if you wanted:IMG_1095.thumb.JPG.4e666b95ccc149b5c50b22fc63c2c521.JPG

IMG_1097.thumb.JPG.a19e07d58a029329ddedffdf4e226c22.JPG

IMG_1093.thumb.JPG.77b68ca825e3d2fc27a55b2f88b24675.JPG

IMG_1095.thumb.JPG.4e666b95ccc149b5c50b22fc63c2c521.JPG

This was French Class but I think they taking a break and eating lunch.  Behind them you can see part of the lovely town:

IMG_1096.thumb.JPG.66ed14f72073dbc98942ef245b8b1688.JPG

The wine was flowing for the celebration:

IMG_1094.thumb.JPG.60ef1c734042a14093e8b47244306b29.JPG

We didn't have anything planned this day so we walked around a bit and visited this church.  Sorry, I don't remember the name.

IMG_1101.thumb.JPG.9102d9ecf9d4618f2262f4245f7bc67d.JPG

IMG_1102.thumb.JPG.d05c1936bb79f72c6c9c3a57a3d029b7.JPG

Time to get back on board to sail away:IMG_1105.thumb.JPG.8d422a3a843c79245989ac9868d8d924.JPG

It was my Mother's Birthday and that evening at dinner she was serenaded.  (I wish I could remember the lady's name on the right.)

IMG_1141.thumb.JPG.ec4b1bbac53d98620db9421261cf985c.JPG

Beautiful pictures of a beautiful town!  It's wonderful how welcoming the citizens are to cruise ship passengers.  Thank you for sharing them.

• Like 12

Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit.

Thanks for our Hump Day Daily, Sandi 🙂 

I will happily celebrate Peace Corps day - such a worthy organization of dedicated volunteers 👍. It’s also plan Plan a Solo Vacation day today so I think I will pass on the pigs and peanut butter and celebrate that instead 😉 

Not sure about today’s quote - while I agree it can be good to go beyond your comfort zone - I don’t think life begins there - it can be in and out of your comfort zone.  But that’s JMO.  Saguenay is a lovely spot.  

Very late to the party today - physio morning and then I had to pick up a new medication for a muscle that is objecting in the hopes it helps.  My physio pinned it down cleverly and we have as protocol for it.  If DH was alive he would be agreeing with her, I’m sure.  We are way past the reflexion that my surgeon wanted (bending your elbow up).  He wanted 90 degrees, I’m at 110.  Since he’s on vacation and can’t be reached for consult, my physio has determined we will just continue.  Flexion still needs work (where you straighten your arm) but it’s at -15 degrees.  Much improved from the -30.  My physio doesn’t know if I can get it to 0 with the hardware in my bony elbow.  No weight bearing of course but if I can get the flexibility the surgeon wants and if it deemed sufficiently healed when I see him in 3 weeks,  then I can start to slowly build up it’s strength 🤞 The big question will be the sufficiently healed (especially with the pin/screw out prematurely) and if a corrective surgery will be needed.  I need more patience. 😌 

@aliaschiefA very happy birthday to you!

DF9B6A89-C044-4CA2-B848-15DBA2273C00.jpeg.04541720cd7aa4909b5b2c3e1e2f7523.jpeg

@mamaofamihoping that the sciatica pain and the UTI can be resolved fast and you are feeling much better soon 🙏

@superomaa very happy 53rd anniversary to you.  I hope it is a fabulous one! 

70E3D313-5880-420B-94BA-EF10F47715E1.gif.3d59da194dd36de30f5ccaee38708c9b.gif

@smitty34877Thinking of you & your DH and hoping the doctors can help quickly 🙏

@lazey1Hoping you are feeling much better very soon 🙏 

@ger_77good news that you DH had a free visit with the denturist and all is good again.  Hoping it last longer this time 🤞

@marshhawkJust to confirm - no worries on the Orange party.  If you have a scarf or anything with orange in it, that will more than suffice.  Fancy is not that fancy for Gala night (now called Dressy night).  All that is a must is a nice blouse and slacks/skirt - for a man a collared shirt and pants.  Now some people will dress more than that but many do not get really dressed up.  I wouldn’t worry about dressy night and there is always the Lido if you prefer - but not necessary.

@cruzn singleMary Kay - our wifi on the Oosterdam was spotty but we were still able to access emails and texts.  It was the first TA where I found that to be the case and I’ve done as number.  I suspect the satellite gadget wasn’t set up properly.  You should be fine to receive emails and texts.  As Tina said, make sure you are only using the ship’s wifi to save on charges from your cell provider.

and just because it is a day to celebrate pigs:

7F51BA32-2B72-448F-BBA6-BC1D1D9ED810.thumb.jpeg.68170422419a20bf4e8c248d92b1bfb4.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list, people of Ukraine, New Zealand, Greek train crash & earthquake victims and for those that need them and a bit toast 🥂 to those on the Celebratory list.

D462FA3D-7CCB-4962-8A3E-E2065B0DD46A.jpeg.aaf3bd7a59f0b357a4680e6788775ad6.jpeg

Have a great Wednesday everyone !!!!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 5

Rabbit rabbit rabbit.   Had an adventuresome night, up for the usual two hours and then when I did get to sleep there was a loud bang and th e power went off for a couple of hours.   Thankfully it’s back on now! 

@aliaschiefhappy birthday Bruce! 

We went over Mauna Loa, it has quit erupting,  surreal to be driving over two volcanoes.  It’s otherworldly up there!

6AB0E00B-DB5C-4941-9DD6-BE1752403A09.jpeg

C0FC5613-6C5B-4D91-A94B-95520E192F94.jpeg

6F91879B-F307-4530-9386-0113E80CC5C2.jpeg

15CB806A-F0CB-4DC5-8000-D79A4149AD8A.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 5

@ger_77 I’m with you, peanut butter except in cookies!  I thought I was alone! 
@kazugreat progress,   May it continue! 
@smitty34877 hoping you get some good news for DH  and a treatment plan!

@HAL Sailer always appreciate your wisdom and insight! 
@mamaofami glad to hear from you, hope your health issues improve soon! 
@Cruzin Terri hope things start to improve for:you!  It has been a long haul! 

A0D049EB-9F3D-4A22-A44C-E53376B1AD73.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 5

Because the weather tomorrow is supposed to be rain and/or thunderstorms and I already have a morning hair salon appointment, this morning after treadmill and breakfast I drove to the gym for another workout.  I'm trying to get those in about 3 times a week now.  DH still uses his Total Gym machine but I'm going another route.  I'm feeling hardly any soreness now and hoping it helps strengthen my muscles.  In addition, I was sent an email notifying me the blood tests results are back, and everything looked great.  One item was a tiny bit higher than the normal range, but when I looked it up the article said that test can be affected by dehyrdration so I feel all is well.  PA  Amy will be happy next week when I go in.

My DB has seen a specialist about his lung disease and definitely has pulmonary fibrosis, scarring in the lungs causing trouble breathing.  This is a terminal disease and doctors tell him average lifespan is 3 years.  There are 2 FDA approved treatments to slow it down, each cost $10,000/month with possible grant availability for what insurance does not cover. It might help bring down the cost to $3,000 a month, still a ridiculous amount.  The application process for one of the treatments, OFEV, has begun. The process is convoluted. Once he begins treatment, he will see the doc once a month with blood draw to check liver function. After 3 months, if everything looks good, he will be seen and tested every 3 months.  He is almost certain this was caused by his job as a lithographer at a can factory where they made soda and beer cans.  They use a printing method on aluminum that uses a chemical reaction.  He said he thinks part of it was caused by 25 years of breathing toxic fumes, using hazardous materials, and working around asbestos.  He was never a smoker.  He also states a majority of his former coworkers died of emphysema or lung cancer.  I wonder if we could put him on the Care list rotation?  Terry @smitty34877 is this the same disease that Tana has?  Didn't you mention that hers got worse after having Covid, because that is what happened to DB.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 13

52 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Because the weather tomorrow is supposed to be rain and/or thunderstorms and I already have a morning hair salon appointment, this morning after treadmill and breakfast I drove to the gym for another workout.  I'm trying to get those in about 3 times a week now.  DH still uses his Total Gym machine but I'm going another route.  I'm feeling hardly any soreness now and hoping it helps strengthen my muscles.  In addition, I was sent an email notifying me the blood tests results are back, and everything looked great.  One item was a tiny bit higher than the normal range, but when I looked it up the article said that test can be affected by dehyrdration so I feel all is well.  PA  Amy will be happy next week when I go in.

My DB has seen a specialist about his lung disease and definitely has pulmonary fibrosis, scarring in the lungs causing trouble breathing.  This is a terminal disease and doctors tell him average lifespan is 3 years.  There are 2 FDA approved treatments to slow it down, each cost $10,000/month with possible grant availability for what insurance does not cover. It might help bring down the cost to $3,000 a month, still a ridiculous amount.  The application process for one of the treatments, OFEV, has begun. The process is convoluted. Once he begins treatment, he will see the doc once a month with blood draw to check liver function. After 3 months, if everything looks good, he will be seen and tested every 3 months.  He is almost certain this was caused by his job as a lithographer at a can factory where they made soda and beer cans.  They use a printing method on aluminum that uses a chemical reaction.  He said he thinks part of it was caused by 25 years of breathing toxic fumes, using hazardous materials, and working around asbestos.  He was never a smoker.  He also states a majority of his former coworkers died of emphysema or lung cancer.  I wonder if we could put him on the Care list rotation?  Terry @smitty34877 is this the same disease that Tana has?  Didn't you mention that hers got worse after having Covid, because that is what happened to DB.  

Excellent news from your blood tests Sandi.

Sad news about your brother having pulmonary fibrosis and it being a terminal disease which is causing him distress in breathing.

Asbestosis disease resulted in the banning of asbestos in the UK.

Graham.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@StLouisCruisers,Sandi, yes unfortunately  it is the same disease.Tana was not a smoker either but has had asthma all her life.She caught covid early on and when she did not improve  after almost a year,she was diagnosed with IPF.We also have a family friend who had it for a year and a half before he died.Tana knows her time is limited and unfortunately  had other medical issues  which made either transplant or the new meds not feasible. I am so sorry  about your brother.I hope he can at least try the medication. 

It is way too expensive. 

It is a tough way to go for the patient and family

• Like 5
  • Thanks 10

3 hours ago, 0106 said:

Although wifi can be sitting on a TA,  you will be able to send and receive emails.  If you both have iPhones you can text for free using the wifi.  You may both want to consider downloading WhatsApp so you can make wifi calls too.

My husband’s favorite sandwich is a PBJ. I like peanut butter on raw sweet potatoes ( and apples and bananas).92C5B20E-C0BE-448B-AFA9-B3FE1C9458C5.jpeg.c0ff61ff515d2f42bcfe64e14e82e350.jpeg

Poditive thoughts to those who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

When I have time I like to grill my PBJ.

• Like 10

Peanut Butter French Toast (2 slices of bread w/peanut butter between them. Dredge that in the Egg Milk then to the skillet. THE signature breakfast item on the EmpireBuilder Chicago/Seattle back in the day. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon from a still very cloudy central Texas.  We only got a few sprinkles of rain, but more may be coming, but who knows for sure until it happens.  It is 77F and was pleasant when I started my walk because of a slight breeze, but when the breeze died, it was just downright muggy.  The three Silverado sage that I was afraid had died because of the drought, heat and then very cold temperatures last year are beginning to put out new, very tiny leaves.  Now, I don't have to worry about digging up the plants and plating new ones.  

DH got a very good report from the surgeon.  The bone in his spine is growing nicely to complete the fusion.  He now has no restrictions, but it will still take more time tor things to get much better and for the bone to fully fuse.  

I don't know how the ribs will taste, but they sure smell good while cooking.

4 hours ago, luvteaching said:

Good morning, 

Rabbit, rabbit, rabbit! Today no snow is falling but it's below freezing. Hopefully it will warm up before I have to head out. I didn't go anywhere yesterday as the snow fell most of the day and our road was a mess. I'd prepped DH for this and called in a few times. Later in the afternoon the evening nurse called to update me which I appreciated. Then, a few minutes later, I got another call and DH wanted to talk to me so she used her cell and we had a nice conversation (for him). She told me she'd never heard him talk so much and carry on a conversation! I'll be in there today. 

I love pork chops and will do one in the air fryer tonight. DH loves pigs and has the entire Freddy the Pig series of books he remembers from his childhood. I got him a stuffed aviator pig for Valentine's Day. He's very happy with peanut butter and jelly on toast or bread or in a sandwich. I like to make a peanut butter oatmeal cookie with peanut butter chips. I think that has it all covered. 

Enjoy your day everyone!

Karen

Karen, that was good news that your DH wanted to talk to you yesterday and that you had a good conversation.  

4 hours ago, marshhawk said:

rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit...I did say that to myself when i woke at 5 this morning, and then i said, get off the bed, cat, I have to use the bathroom, and it was downhill from there.  We had steak last night, roasted squash and mushrooms, and a salad.  Within one hour, DH was ill, this morning at 5 I was ill.I am still feeling awful.  Am I poisoning us?  I am going to work today (to the living room) but I wont work tonight, I have no scheduled calls,  and an early bed time sounds very nice.

DH is going to try driving this morning, since I don't really want to leave the house.  He has not driven since his eye surgery, a month ago.  I will keep my fingers crossed for him.

@Cruzin Terri I read your post last night and am sending you a huge hug.  It's hard when we  learn that the rock we have leaned on, is now more a puddle, and we have to become the rock.  I am currently in pebble stage.  Because I hate arguing, and my rock doesn't. like the power taken away, but he cant make up his mind on anything.  So I have two sinks that leak, a toilet that leaks, doors where the keys dont work...they are all going to be fixed.......i just hope it's before the house  implodes.

I love peanut butter.  My favorite sandwich is a bacon and peanut butter.  I love it on celery, and sometimes, I just get a big spoon of it and slowly nibble on it.  And I love Reeces.....When I lived up north the young adult group I belonged to used to have annual peanut butter parties.  Now we all live far apart, two have Alzheimer's and we don't hear from them, because their spouses passed on.  How quickly time goes by.

I will celebrate the pig!  The pig gives us bacon, and baby back ribs.....and pork roast, and pork tenderloin and pork chops, and sausage, and ...wish I felt better, this pig talk should make me hungry.

I love the quote, and fear the reality of it.  But this year I am giving myself many days of not being in my comfort zone.  

Annie, I'm sorry you and DH became ill after eating dinner last night.  I hope you are both feeling better, and I hope DH did not have any trouble driving today.

4 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Seems that last night was better for a lot of us.  I slept right past 3 am, didn't wake up until 4 am.  And then I wasn't awake too terribly long, and slept another couple hours -- so a very good night!

The drink and meal both look really good.  I'm just trying to decide which recipe Debbie @dfishposted looks the best.  Will pass on the red wine, and we've been to Saguenay many times on a BHB.  

Not a lot on the agenda today, other than a hair cut and getting some things to a donation center.  Our snow is still here, but the roads look good.  We'll see if the garbage trucks come...they rarely make it out when we have snow.

Bruce @aliaschiefHappy Birthday!

@cl8ssy ch8ssisWelcome to CC and the Daily.

Prayers for all who are ailing and cheers for those celebrating.  Have a good day everyone!

Some photos from 2012 and 2016.

Love their old-time costumed greeting! 

734004279_unicycleSaguenay.jpg.8eb98b81cbcdde65b48f9c02595403e4.jpg

74956809_Saguenaygreeters.jpg.3ec43ca915d45c065dfa6eef50df66ec.jpg

And their generous helpings of blueberry pie 🙂  I also didn't turn down their gifts of chocolates as we returned to the ship later that day.

832106432_blueberrypieSaguenay.thumb.jpg.e4448713c38d4d0861f83ce09bb7c3f2.jpg

One visit we rented a car and drove to the National Park.

2095643284_Saguenaynationalpark.jpg.5d1779fda2d7d225ca1e71a83962a87c.jpg

An uphill hike but beautiful.

898358942_uphillclimb.jpg.4e4f8fc9ba3c55c3394e8a83f223da98.jpg

855902869_NationalPark.jpg.c1d018651d5571979e391048afbcae6f.jpg

1312829286_scenerySaguenay.jpg.23f97a642b4c8a63a106a832d4a7332f.jpg

520567087_Saguenaybeach.jpg.a224fa96e38518963f9e982cf755d7c0.jpg

Aluminum bridge

1691003384_Aluminumbridge.jpg.620d493303a219d0d77db6761463ee49.jpgA few churches

472649024_churchSaguenay.thumb.jpg.d5a94d396de3be57df8fbc85e821a3fe.jpg

1373534543_Saguenaychurch.jpg.45e2e9611ecb88f9b68dabac0cf22aad.jpg

And even costumed locals in a gift shop.

1105658710_costumedlocals.jpg.aec10b53f8810a5c4927d093d8346bcb.jpg

Carolyn, I'm glad you also slept better last night.  Thank you for the pictures of Saguenay.  I would love to go back and spend more time there.

I have a question.  I understand the concept of the Orange Party, but is it for everyone or just those with Mariner Points?  In other words, should I pack orange, and how fancy is it.  My friend who just booked this cruise just told me that he does not want to go all fancy, so how fancy is fancy?  in the mdr, on formal night.  I cruised Alaska with Carnival and we did not go to formal night.  It was never that warm, and formal would mean winter formal,  I wasnt planning on taking that  much stuff.

Annie, as others have said, the orange party can vary from ship to ship.  I have a peachy orange shirt I wear and DH has an orange polo shirt.  For 25 years DH wore his tux on formal nights, but about seven years ago, he took his suit, then switched to a blazer, and now wears a collared shirt and nice slacks on dressy night.  I have switched to a nice skirt with a nice top for dressy nights.  

3 hours ago, highscar said:

Growing up in England never heard of peanut butter.   Married a Canadian,   Have 3 Canadian children who wanted peanut butter and jam sandwiches for lunch everyday, still can’t stand the smell of it.  

I have two DDs and a DH who like peanut butter, but I have never liked it.  I can manage to smell it, but that is as close as I come to ingesting the stuff.  🤣

3 hours ago, cruzn single said:

Good morning to all.  Guess I started out the day "celebrating!"  I had peanut butter on my breakfast toast.  Really the only way I eat peanut butter.  My late DH was a kid all the time he was at home with his pb&j sandwiches.  Practically the only food type item that he would prepare for himself.

I currently am "annoyed" about my flights home from Amsterdam in April.  HAL booked my air with American Airlines, but since the Amsterdam-London-Dallas flights are on British Airways I have to pay for seat selection!  Of course, the only truly American Airlines portion of the flight will be from Dallas to home.  I just have never paid to select my seat.  

Our weather is truly "iffy" today.  Says it is snowing out according to my weather app, but the tiny amount that was on the ground when I got up is gone. Wish the weather would make up its' mind, either snow or we would have decent weather.  Of course, mountain areas are still getting lots, so that is good for the summer water conditions.  But who knows if Lakes Powell and Mead will start to refill with this year's snowpack?!

My special prayers for those whose DH's are undergoing special challenges.  With the multiple years that my DH had home hospice care, I truly understand.  We find out what difficulties we can overcome.  I did things I had never before had to accomplish.  

@aliaschief, Happy Birthday.  Congratulations to all others celebrating special events!

@marshhawk, I will join you in upcoming cruise questions.  On my TA on the Rotterdam we will be transiting the Atlantic for multiple days.  I have the HIA, which includes wi-fi.  I have never had wi-fi before on any cruise, so I am unsure what happens.  Since my oldest step-son will be having his kidney removal during that period, will I be able to receive either texts or emails about the surgery?  Or will I have to wait till we get to England to have any communication?  Sorry I am so clueless, but have never been out of touch for so long.  Also, I know the step-kids will want to know how this 80/81 year old woman is doing traveling solo.

Have a great day, everyone!

Mary Kay

Mary Kay, you should be able to receive emails and texts, but as others said, be sure to switch your phone to their wifi and not be on cellular at sea or whatever they are calling the ship's "phone" service now days.  A word of caution.  Even though that service is not supposed to turned on until the ship is a certain number of miles off shore, even seen it turned on as soon as the lines were dropped and the ship pulled away from the dock.  Once, that cost us about $50, so we now make sure the phones are off or not on any phone service before we sail.

3 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

From my post on May 13, 2021:

I wanted to jump in with some Saguenay pictures.  I shared a few when the St. Lawrence River was the port.  I really loved Saguenay and am happy that it is on our itinerary for our October 2022 cruise.

The three of us (DH, DM, and myself) were on the Eurodam, New York to Quebec City.  On September 4, 2009 we were met at the dock in Saguenay by locals, it was quite a celebration:

IMG_1086.thumb.JPG.6cd928e8390460a2f820e0d3feb15b9e.JPG

We were the first cruise ship to dock at the new cruise terminal:

IMG_1108.thumb.JPG.3f8c993289d176dbb0cfd25dae98e973.JPG

There were a lot of activities going on.  You could choose to participate if you wanted:IMG_1095.thumb.JPG.4e666b95ccc149b5c50b22fc63c2c521.JPG

IMG_1097.thumb.JPG.a19e07d58a029329ddedffdf4e226c22.JPG

IMG_1093.thumb.JPG.77b68ca825e3d2fc27a55b2f88b24675.JPG

IMG_1095.thumb.JPG.4e666b95ccc149b5c50b22fc63c2c521.JPG

This was French Class but I think they taking a break and eating lunch.  Behind them you can see part of the lovely town:

IMG_1096.thumb.JPG.66ed14f72073dbc98942ef245b8b1688.JPG

The wine was flowing for the celebration:

IMG_1094.thumb.JPG.60ef1c734042a14093e8b47244306b29.JPG

We didn't have anything planned this day so we walked around a bit and visited this church.  Sorry, I don't remember the name.

IMG_1101.thumb.JPG.9102d9ecf9d4618f2262f4245f7bc67d.JPG

IMG_1102.thumb.JPG.d05c1936bb79f72c6c9c3a57a3d029b7.JPG

Time to get back on board to sail away:IMG_1105.thumb.JPG.8d422a3a843c79245989ac9868d8d924.JPG

It was my Mother's Birthday and that evening at dinner she was serenaded.  (I wish I could remember the lady's name on the right.)

IMG_1141.thumb.JPG.ec4b1bbac53d98620db9421261cf985c.JPG

Sharon, thanks for your pictures.  What a great picture of your DM.  She looks so young .  I'm glad you slept better last night.

2 hours ago, kazu said:

Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit.

Thanks for our Hump Day Daily, Sandi 🙂 

I will happily celebrate Peace Corps day - such a worthy organization of dedicated volunteers 👍. It’s also plan Plan a Solo Vacation day today so I think I will pass on the pigs and peanut butter and celebrate that instead 😉 

Not sure about today’s quote - while I agree it can be good to go beyond your comfort zone - I don’t think life begins there - it can be in and out of your comfort zone.  But that’s JMO.  Saguenay is a lovely spot.  

Very late to the party today - physio morning and then I had to pick up a new medication for a muscle that is objecting in the hopes it helps.  My physio pinned it down cleverly and we have as protocol for it.  If DH was alive he would be agreeing with her, I’m sure.  We are way past the reflexion that my surgeon wanted (bending your elbow up).  He wanted 90 degrees, I’m at 110.  Since he’s on vacation and can’t be reached for consult, my physio has determined we will just continue.  Flexion still needs work (where you straighten your arm) but it’s at -15 degrees.  Much improved from the -30.  My physio doesn’t know if I can get it to 0 with the hardware in my bony elbow.  No weight bearing of course but if I can get the flexibility the surgeon wants and if it deemed sufficiently healed when I see him in 3 weeks,  then I can start to slowly build up it’s strength 🤞 The big question will be the sufficiently healed (especially with the pin/screw out prematurely) and if a corrective surgery will be needed.  I need more patience. 😌 

@aliaschiefA very happy birthday to you!

DF9B6A89-C044-4CA2-B848-15DBA2273C00.jpeg.04541720cd7aa4909b5b2c3e1e2f7523.jpeg

@mamaofamihoping that the sciatica pain and the UTI can be resolved fast and you are feeling much better soon 🙏

@superomaa very happy 53rd anniversary to you.  I hope it is a fabulous one! 

70E3D313-5880-420B-94BA-EF10F47715E1.gif.3d59da194dd36de30f5ccaee38708c9b.gif

@smitty34877Thinking of you & your DH and hoping the doctors can help quickly 🙏

@lazey1Hoping you are feeling much better very soon 🙏 

@ger_77good news that you DH had a free visit with the denturist and all is good again.  Hoping it last longer this time 🤞

@marshhawkJust to confirm - no worries on the Orange party.  If you have a scarf or anything with orange in it, that will more than suffice.  Fancy is not that fancy for Gala night (now called Dressy night).  All that is a must is a nice blouse and slacks/skirt - for a man a collared shirt and pants.  Now some people will dress more than that but many do not get really dressed up.  I wouldn’t worry about dressy night and there is always the Lido if you prefer - but not necessary.

@cruzn singleMary Kay - our wifi on the Oosterdam was spotty but we were still able to access emails and texts.  It was the first TA where I found that to be the case and I’ve done as number.  I suspect the satellite gadget wasn’t set up properly.  You should be fine to receive emails and texts.  As Tina said, make sure you are only using the ship’s wifi to save on charges from your cell provider.

and just because it is a day to celebrate pigs:

7F51BA32-2B72-448F-BBA6-BC1D1D9ED810.thumb.jpeg.68170422419a20bf4e8c248d92b1bfb4.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list, people of Ukraine, New Zealand, Greek train crash & earthquake victims and for those that need them and a bit toast 🥂 to those on the Celebratory list.

D462FA3D-7CCB-4962-8A3E-E2065B0DD46A.jpeg.aaf3bd7a59f0b357a4680e6788775ad6.jpeg

Have a great Wednesday everyone !!!!

Jacqui, that is great news you are making so much progress with your physical therapy, and it sounds like you have a great therapist.  Plus, you are putting in the hard work needed.  I know I don't need to tell you to celebrate with a glass (or more) of wine.  😉 🍷  Sorry, there's no emoji of a white wine glass.

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Rabbit rabbit rabbit.   Had an adventuresome night, up for the usual two hours and then when I did get to sleep there was a loud bang and th e power went off for a couple of hours.   Thankfully it’s back on now! 

@aliaschiefhappy birthday Bruce! 

We went over Mauna Loa, it has quit erupting,  surreal to be driving over two volcanoes.  It’s otherworldly up there!

6AB0E00B-DB5C-4941-9DD6-BE1752403A09.jpeg

C0FC5613-6C5B-4D91-A94B-95520E192F94.jpeg

6F91879B-F307-4530-9386-0113E80CC5C2.jpeg

15CB806A-F0CB-4DC5-8000-D79A4149AD8A.jpeg

Brenda, thanks for the pictures from Hawaii.

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Sandi, I'm sorry your DB was diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis.  I hope he can get help with the new meds and that the can slow it's progress.  That's good news your blood tests were normal.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 6

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Terri I hope you enjoy your Italy trip and get to do the Canada/New England cruise another day.  Why do they keep postponing your appointment down at the Mayo Clinic?  (Besides your convenience)

Doctor has emergency surgery scheduled for that day.  Not something I can argue about.  If I were the one needing surgery, I would want it done as soon as possible. It was only after I pressed them, did I get a better answer than “for my convenience”.

Terri

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for the kind words.  It’s nice to know that this is a soft place to fall and people understand what others are going through.  I won’t even say what DH proposed as a solution rather than going to a hotel when the toilet wasn’t working on Saturday.  It makes me realize that he has no clue about the anatomy of a woman.  Unbelievable!  Life goes on.  

Terri

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good afternoon from a still very cloudy central Texas.  We only got a few sprinkles of rain, but more may be coming, but who knows for sure until it happens.  It is 77F and was pleasant when I started my walk because of a slight breeze, but when the breeze died, it was just downright muggy.  The three Silverado sage that I was afraid had died because of the drought, heat and then very cold temperatures last year are beginning to put out new, very tiny leaves.  Now, I don't have to worry about digging up the plants and plating new ones.  

DH got a very good report from the surgeon.  The bone in his spine is growing nicely to complete the fusion.  He now has no restrictions, but it will still take more time tor things to get much better and for the bone to fully fuse.  

I don't know how the ribs will taste, but they sure smell good while cooking.

Karen, that was good news that your DH wanted to talk to you yesterday and that you had a good conversation.  

Annie, I'm sorry you and DH became ill after eating dinner last night.  I hope you are both feeling better, and I hope DH did not have any trouble driving today.

Carolyn, I'm glad you also slept better last night.  Thank you for the pictures of Saguenay.  I would love to go back and spend more time there.

Annie, as others have said, the orange party can vary from ship to ship.  I have a peachy orange shirt I wear and DH has an orange polo shirt.  For 25 years DH wore his tux on formal nights, but about seven years ago, he took his suit, then switched to a blazer, and now wears a collared shirt and nice slacks on dressy night.  I have switched to a nice skirt with a nice top for dressy nights.  

I have two DDs and a DH who like peanut butter, but I have never liked it.  I can manage to smell it, but that is as close as I come to ingesting the stuff.  🤣

Mary Kay, you should be able to receive emails and texts, but as others said, be sure to switch your phone to their wifi and not be on cellular at sea or whatever they are calling the ship's "phone" service now days.  A word of caution.  Even though that service is not supposed to turned on until the ship is a certain number of miles off shore, even seen it turned on as soon as the lines were dropped and the ship pulled away from the dock.  Once, that cost us about $50, so we now make sure the phones are off or not on any phone service before we sail.

Sharon, thanks for your pictures.  What a great picture of your DM.  She looks so young .  I'm glad you slept better last night.

Jacqui, that is great news you are making so much progress with your physical therapy, and it sounds like you have a great therapist.  Plus, you are putting in the hard work needed.  I know I don't need to tell you to celebrate with a glass (or more) of wine.  😉 🍷  Sorry, there's no emoji of a white wine glass.

Brenda, thanks for the pictures from Hawaii.

Sandi, I'm sorry your DB was diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis.  I hope he can get help with the new meds and that the can slow it's progress.  That's good news your blood tests were normal.

Lenda

Excellent news Lenda about your husband's back improvement.

Graham.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Excellent news from your blood tests Sandi.

Sad news about your brother having pulmonary fibrosis and it being a terminal disease which is causing him distress in breathing.

Asbestosis disease resulted in the banning of asbestos in the UK.

Graham.

Thank you Graham.  Yes, it is such sad news.  I can't imagine my thoughts if I was told I had a terminal disease, yet it happens to people everywhere every day.  Unbelievable that asbestos still isn't banned in the U.S. 🤬

25 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

@StLouisCruisers,Sandi, yes unfortunately  it is the same disease.Tana was not a smoker either but has had asthma all her life.She caught covid early on and when she did not improve  after almost a year,she was diagnosed with IPF.We also have a family friend who had it for a year and a half before he died.Tana knows her time is limited and unfortunately  had other medical issues  which made either transplant or the new meds not feasible. I am so sorry  about your brother.I hope he can at least try the medication. 

It is way too expensive. 

Yes, very tough for everyone, and way too expensive to treat.  Doctor said he has one patient who has taken the medication and has lived 10 years.  DB has the IPF too - ideopathic meaning no known cause.  My DB will turn 70 March 14 so each birthday he has left will be precious to him.

21 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Lenda

Excellent news about your DH's bone in his spine growing well and no restrictions.  Best of luck as he progresses.  Thank you for your comments about DB.  We're all still in shock at this diagnosis.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

33 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

It is way too expensive. 

I'm so sorry to hear Tana's diagnosis Terry.

Sending her my prayers 🙏 and sincerest good wishes and pray one of the new treatments might prove effective in helping her.

Graham.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Sandi, I am so sorry to hear of your DB's diagnosis.  A good family friend had pulmonary fibrosis and because she was over 70 was not eligible for a lung transplant.  Hugs to you, your DB, and DB's family.  It is a difficult road ahead and I hope that the doctors can make it as smooth as possible. It is sometimes difficult to determine quality vs quantity and I'm hoping that the time he has is all quality.

I'm glad to hear that your tests turned out well.  We need those good events to bolster all of us!  

@Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda, I'm pleased to read that your DH's surgeon was happy with his progress.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

It is way too expensive. 

Terri, I'm sorry Tana has other issues that preclude either a transplant or the new meds. 

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Doctor has emergency surgery scheduled for that day.  Not something I can argue about.  If I were the one needing surgery, I would want it done as soon as possible. It was only after I pressed them, did I get a better answer than “for my convenience”.

Terri

Terri, if it had been me, I'd have appreciated them telling me it was because of an emergency surgery.  I guess "for your convenience" is their standard reason.

36 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Excellent news Lenda about your husband's back improvement.

Graham.

Thank you Graham.

26 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thank you Graham.  Yes, it is such sad news.  I can't imagine my thoughts if I was told I had a terminal disease, yet it happens to people everywhere every day.  Unbelievable that asbestos still isn't banned in the U.S. 🤬

Yes, very tough for everyone, and way too expensive to treat.  Doctor said he has one patient who has taken the medication and has lived 10 years.  DB has the IPF too - ideopathic meaning no known cause.  My DB will turn 70 March 14 so each birthday he has left will be precious to him.

Excellent news about your DH's bone in his spine growing well and no restrictions.  Best of luck as he progresses.  Thank you for your comments about DB.  We're all still in shock at this diagnosis.  

Sandi, it was the news we expected and hoped to hear.

19 minutes ago, dfish said:

Sandi, I am so sorry to hear of your DB's diagnosis.  A good family friend had pulmonary fibrosis and because she was over 70 was not eligible for a lung transplant.  Hugs to you, your DB, and DB's family.  It is a difficult road ahead and I hope that the doctors can make it as smooth as possible. It is sometimes difficult to determine quality vs quantity and I'm hoping that the time he has is all quality.

I'm glad to hear that your tests turned out well.  We need those good events to bolster all of us!  

@Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda, I'm pleased to read that your DH's surgeon was happy with his progress.  

Debbie, after all that we went through last year, it was good to hear that things are progressing on track.

Lenda

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Sandi so sorry to hear about your DB.  I hope he is able to get the medications at a reasonable cost to him.  

Terri - so sad to hear about Tana - she is incredible how she goes on day to day and how you and your entire family help her.

Marshhawk - sorry to hear you all got sick from your dinner.  Hope you are feeling better now.

Lenda so glad your husband is doing well after his back surgery.  You have both been through a lot this last year.  

Kazu- PT is fabulous and so glad your range of motion is getting better.  I hope it continues and you don't need anymore surgery.

Sad to hear about everyone's medical issues.  

The meal looks great and the pictures of the port were fabulous.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

First of all, many, many thanks to all for the wonderful answers to me for the communication information!  Last time I traveled to Europe was before the cell phone age, so staying in touch wasn't the issue.  Guess it is just the info about the outcome of DSSon's surgery outcome that was mu concern.  I have an iPhone, as does DDIL, and DSDaughter!

Got my airline seat situation resolvesd.  I was talking to my PCC and he got the seat assignment for the London-Dallas leg.  That one was my concern, since I had paid for business class.  And he also got my Dallas-home seat, which was of no concern at all.  It is a 10:30 pm flight and I have been on it several times, and I can literally stretch out, if I want.  FEW passengers.  During this conversation, I also took advantage of a decent upgrade.  This TA will be a once in a lifetime for me (because of paying double), so I want as much as I can feel comfortable with, $$$ wise.

@StLouisCruisersI was so sad to read of the IPF diagnosis with your DB.  That was what my late DH had.  He lived almost 4 years after diagnosis.  The medications were in very early stages at the time, and because of his age, he wasn't eligible for them.  Besides his WTC exposure, I am sure that Agent Orange in Vietnam didn't help.  Hope that a grant can be obtained for the meds.  From what I learned, the meds seems to be successful.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

This Friday evening is Shabbat Across America and Canada, when hundreds of synagogues offer dinner and special services. I have a paid-for reservation, but  was somewhat afraid to go, because of what else I might catch. But there's a reprieve: because of the unfavorable weather forecast, the dinner is being postponed.

2 minutes ago, cruzn single said:

This TA will be a once in a lifetime for me (because of paying double), so I want as much as I can feel comfortable with, $$$ wise.

I feel the same way. For a TATL this fall, I used almost all of my American Airlines miles to book a business-class seat. I didn't especially mind using them, because American no longer flies from the three nearest airports to me.

• Like 12

Just would like to say thank you for all the birthday wishes. The lobsters dinner with sweet potatoes baked fries and salad is going to make the Chief very happy!

Sandi it was sad to hear about your DB. Asbestos or chemical exposures he should check with a lawyer.

Thanks everyone.

Bruce

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, cruzn single said:

First of all, many, many thanks to all for the wonderful answers to me for the communication information!  

Make sure you keep your phone in airplane mode!  Use the ships wifi to send iMessages to your family.  I hope the surgery goes well and you have a wonderful TA.

• Like 11